The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Post your rough demos
Old 4 weeks ago
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzlegs View Post
Nice mix of dreamy, creepy and mysterious. I could picture this as a movie theme. Very well done. Can't think of anything I'd change.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Here is an older tune from when I was playing solo sets, aka my "another d*ck with an acoustic and harmonica neck rack" phase, that I never got around to recording before. I'm hoping the vocal "melody" is stronger than it was in those days.

Have a bit of trouble getting the vocals to sit in this version, but I guess that's par for a rough demo.

Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealSPH3 View Post
Here is an older tune from when I was playing solo sets, aka my "another d*ck with an acoustic and harmonica neck rack" phase, that I never got around to recording before. I'm hoping the vocal "melody" is stronger than it was in those days.

Have a bit of trouble getting the vocals to sit in this version, but I guess that's par for a rough demo.

I actually like the unusual scanning and elongated syllables, they form a very unique vocal style....together with the minimal accompaniment a very poignant result is created....there's some great stuff being posted here lately.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagtunes View Post
Nice mix of dreamy, creepy and mysterious. I could picture this as a movie theme. Very well done. Can't think of anything I'd change.
@ buzzlegs ...Love this too.....so encouraging to hear all this inspiring work, a comfort to know that there are true, talented artists out there still.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Hey gang, thanks for giving it a listen. Agree with Worm, some of the vocal timing is wonky. Having trouble delivering that "somewhere down south" line, I think I'm just going to cut it even though I do like it. The "big country star" part is similar, not sure what I'm going to do there. Initially I had it chopped up more, but it sounded like I was saying "dream to be a big c*nt/ree/star".
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Hey guys!

https://paytoncollier.bandcamp.com/track/galathea

Just finished up the framework and structure for this one. Wanted some general input. Feel like it kind of falls off a bit in the middle but I really do enjoy this one. Been inspired by Kings of Convenience and some old bossa nova acts from the 50s and 60s. I know it's lacking bass but I'll be getting one shortly to vamp it up.

Any thoughts would be great! The track, lyrically speaking, is roughly inspired by the Galathea deep sea expeditions in Denmark in the 20th century.

Will be back soon to listen to tracks I've missed. Hope everyone has been well!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by belle_pc View Post
Hey guys!

Just finished up the framework and structure for this one. Wanted some general input. Feel like it kind of falls off a bit in the middle but I really do enjoy this one. Been inspired by Kings of Convenience and some old bossa nova acts from the 50s and 60s. I know it's lacking bass but I'll be getting one shortly to vamp it up.

Any thoughts would be great! The track, lyrically speaking, is roughly inspired by the Galathea deep sea expeditions in Denmark in the 20th century.

Very nice and relaxing. Nice guitar playing. I really enjoyed this. Reminds me of late 60s show tune/pop.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by belle_pc View Post
Hey guys!

Dude, wow! If this is the rough demo I can't wait to hear the finished version.

That little vocal riff that kicks off the chorus is perfect. I'm stealing it!

There's really nothing you should change about this tune. The drums come in a little abruptly around 2 min. That's about all I could think of.

I wonder what the horn part (around 30 seconds in) would sound like as strings? Kind of sweeping into the verse. Or blend the horns into the strings, like the crescendo of the countdown in Space Oddity where the stylophone line is picked up by the strings. That would probably be a touch too dramatic. Just spitballing, I think the horn part is cool.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealSPH3 View Post
Hey gang, thanks for giving it a listen....
I didn't think the timing or stretch was bad, I just think of dylan's style in ways and something I like about his singing at times is he knows when to say an elongated phrase with a quickness. Check out leapord skin pillbox hat.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGotWorms View Post
I tried doing these takes an octave lower and I think I should probably be singing baritone. It is way too easy to jump an octave.
Okay, there's a lot to comment on here so let's take it one thing at a time.

Song Structure - I've now heard quite a few of your songs. I think about 5 or 6 now. The structure of each song is nearly identical. In fact, the only things that really separate them are the lyrics and the key signatures. Other than that, they're pretty much interchangeable.

I'd like to hear you try some variety. Even Bob Dylan, who was essentially a singer/songwriter/guitarist, had variety in his songs. They all weren't just 2 or maybe 3 chords with the same rhythm and strumming pattern. Listen to his album "Blood On The Tracks" and you'll hear what I'm talking about. Having a bridge in your songs to break them up a bit would also help.

Recording - The biggest problem with the recording is that the lyrics, which, for songs like these, are the most important part, are simply not clear. And the reason they're not clear is because the guitar accompaniment is mid range heavy and covering up the vocals. In addition to that, the vocals are too distant. I don't know if it's too much reverb or too far from the mic or both. But I can't make out all the words. And with a simple singing, guitar playing, drums demo, I should be able to make out all the words.

Playing - I touched on this in song structure but the playing or everything I've heard from you is 1, 2, 3 with the accent on 1. Try to incorporate other rhythms so everything doesn't sound the same.

If I didn't care, I wouldn't make these comments. I think you have talent but it's being stifled by a kind of generic composition and performance.

I brought up Bob Dylan because I think, believe it or not, he's the guy you have the most chance to be like and still be you.

Right now your music lacks a certain amount of excitement that I usually find when listening to auto accompaniment tracks that essentially sound like a metronome.

There's a possibility that maybe you're not playing the guitar that long. If that's the case, keep practicing. Try to go outside your comfort zone. I know you can do it.

If nothing else, at least try to work on making the lyrics more clear so they're understandable.

I hope you take this in the spirit in which it was intended. You have a much better singing voice than I ever will and I think, because of that, you can make a better presentation than I ever could. But you need to work at it.

Hope this helps.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

Last edited by IGotWorms; 1 week ago at 01:27 AM..
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'm covering songs from the 19th century and luckily hold no responsibility for the structure. The songs have chord changes, different time signatures, and its seems these older ones didn't have a hook (which I like). The "bridges" are lyrical breaks for the harmonica. I will look into more detailed breaks/bridges. If the songs lack excitement compared to songs with metronome like qualities, does this mean the timing/strumming feels loose? I might try to figure out something more interesting with the acoustic strumming, it might just be too prominent, it should be sitting comfortably in the mix.

Blood on the tracks is one of the sparsest dylan albums, tangled up in blue is 5 minutes of two chords...
-PLAYBOY: Has your playing become more complex?
-DYLAN: No. Musically not. I can hear more and my melodies now are more rhythmic than they ever have been, but, really, I am still with those same three chords. But, I mean, I'm not Segovia or Montoya. I don't practice 12 hours a day.

I will post another version labeled loud vocals. I want to mix them loud and you seem to want them loud so I'll try a vocal forward mix.
Ah, you're doing covers. Well, then completely ignore everything I said about composition, obviously, Just concentrate on getting the lyrics clearer and the vocals more up front.
Old 4 weeks ago
I posted this in the other, but thought any comments would help,
https://soundcloud.com/pigeon-city/j...music-from-ntt
My original track.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
I didn't think the timing or stretch was bad, I just think of dylan's style in ways and something I like about his singing at times is he knows when to say an elongated phrase with a quickness. Check out leapord skin pillbox hat.
I actually put Freewheelin' on to try to pick up some vocal ideas for this, not successfully though. I definitely get what your saying, some of the lines need a bit more cadence and rhythm.
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by clump View Post
@ buzzlegs ...Love this too.....so encouraging to hear all this inspiring work, a comfort to know that there are true, talented artists out there still.
Cheers guys!
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Its easier to speak clearly in the lower octave, I think might be singing baritone for now.
Hey man I think this baritone thing is working for you! Overall I like how this sounds.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
I really like this. As far as lyrics go, I'm the last one to give any advice in that area as writing lyrics is not my strong point.

Only thing I'd suggest is that I think the vocals should have a harder edge to them. Don't want you to wreck your voice but if you could put a little Metallica into it I think it would really send it over the top. Right now, the vocals are too tame for the music.

Of course just my opinion.

Like I said, really like this one.
Thanks Wags for checking out the track and giving feedback, much appreciated! I agree with you about the vocals, I want to try get a grittier vocal performance for the final release. Your note about Metallica is very useful, I am listening to their "Load" album as I write this and it's a great reference for some "clean" grit if that makes any sense.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fertil View Post
Listen, enjoy, gimme some good tips on what elements I should do what to get this thing brighter/to the next level! Thank U :]

Haha, and PLEASE tell me what genre this is...
Fertil Rocks.....

just send it to a mastering engineer and get him to bring up the hi frequency a bit.

good **** man...

Buddha
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
The lyrics seemed fine maybe they would seem offensive if misconstrued?
The improvement(vocals) after each song is noteworthy, the timing etc is improving. I would chase a better diction for the word shout, but I like the tuning and timing of the words before it. Loved the bridge. Cool song. make more.

He sounds like he's belting out full volume, I think the vocals might just sound better if they were more forward in the mix. I couldn't hear a lot of the lyrics but I think my speakers make vocals seem quiet.

Thanks man for the encouragement and checking out the song. As for the vocal performance I believe I can push it a bit further. For this demo it was a really quick tracking session and I likely left some vocal energy in the reserve. But what I've noticed is that when writing and recording a new song it naturally takes some time to get the melody and the lyrics into their final form and completely memorized. But at that point it is anyway much easier to really give a powerful performance when recording the vocals, it is a matter of focus and concentration. I wasn't there yet with this demo.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Bird View Post
I posted this in the other, but thought any comments would help,
https://soundcloud.com/pigeon-city/j...music-from-ntt
My original track.
Hey there. It is a nice little vintage sounding synth piece, I like how warm it sounds. I particularly like the xylophone(?) lead you have there in between 0:14-0:20. I think that is the best part of the song. But after that the song turns into just a background rhythm as the lead elements are not there anymore. I would've liked to hear more of that good stuff you introduced at 0:14.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Per Worm's suggestion, here's this one again sped up a bit (done half assed, guitars sound a little phasey) and a slightly different vocal take.

Old 4 weeks ago
I`m interested in opinions on my latest track, is the production level good enough and would it be commercially viable?

Thanks! xx
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine_Alicia View Post
I`m interested in opinions on my latest track, is the production level good enough and would it be commercially viable?

Thanks! xx
Hi Katherine

Well, you would have to toss in "commercially viable" into that question. lol.

Let me start out by saying that I am probably the last person on this planet who should be giving advice on what's "commercially viable" as I'm 61 years old and pretty out of touch with today's music scene.

However, having said that, I have been doing a ton of studying and research in this area as I am still trying to make a dent in the business. From what I've learned, here is what I see holding your track back from achieving that level of success.

1. LUFS. Get together with a mastering engineer and have him explain it to you unless you are already familiar with it and why it's important. You want your mix optimized for the top streaming services. Right now, the volume is too low. On the plus side, I don't detect any wide swings in volume so that helps.

2. The mix is a little boxy and muddy. It needs to be brightened up considerably for the kind of level you're talking about.

3. Musically, it's a bit stagnant. There is very little variation in the track. Now I know a lot of today's music doesn't have a ton of variation but it still has slight amounts in arrangement, sound FX, and so on. This track is very consistent throughout. There is not enough there to keep a listener engaged for 3 minutes, especially since people have very short attention spans as it is these days.

I'm assuming you know the audience you're going after. Listen to the music that your audience listens to. Is it similar? What's different? What do you think is better in what's already out there? Be honest with yourself.

Critical self evaluation is rough. It took me almost all of my 61 years where I can finally listen to my music and realize that my time as a commercial musician is long behind me. I am too out of touch with today's sound.

Anyway, go over points 1, 2 and 3 above. For me, personally, your track was decent but nothing that made me go "Wow, this needs to be heard by the masses."

Now I could very well be totally wrong here as, like I said, I am totally out of touch. But I do listen to some stuff on Youtube in this genre and if the quality of these tracks is a 10, regardless of whether or not I like them, then your track is probably a 7, maybe a 7.5. I think a slight adjustment to the composition itself (mostly in the arrangement) and a good mastering engineer just might bring it up to that 10. As it is right now, I don't see it happening. I'm just being honest.

Take this 61 year old's opinion with a very small grain of salt.

Good luck with your career. I truly wish you the best and hope you make it.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
One point I will make is that not mastering too loud is actually better for strening sites as they tend to normalize tracks so if they are already loud, they can end up sounding worse and hsrsh. I read an article about it and how it was ending the loudness war.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Funk View Post
One point I will make is that not mastering too loud is actually better for strening sites as they tend to normalize tracks so if they are already loud, they can end up sounding worse and hsrsh. I read an article about it and how it was ending the loudness war.
Yes, that is true and it also depends on the site. That her track is basically one volume level is in her favor. The only way to really tell if your track is optimized for whatever streaming sites you're going after is either to send it to a mastering engineer or, if you can't afford that, get a LUFS metering program. Nugen Audio has an excellent one.

She might want to watch this video.

It goes pretty in depth on the subject.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Kanes demos are very very good.

reminds me of Cool and the Gang. Get down on It.....classic track.

Kane, i dont think the doubled vocals, in the verse, helps your cause.

it sounds like doubled vocals or a Chorus/doubling effect, but perhaps im wrong.

your singing is good enough for a single vox to front the verses.

the chorus section could contrast more to the verse section. either with instrumentation changes or vocal changes. a female Backing vox singer perhaps.

just needs contrast from the A to the B sections. Grooving very well.

Your Basslines are Funky. Cool.

Buddha
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG BUDDHA View Post
Kanes demos are very very good.

reminds me of Cool and the Gang. Get down on It.....classic track.

Kane, i dont think the doubled vocals, in the verse, helps your cause.

it sounds like doubled vocals or a Chorus/doubling effect, but perhaps im wrong.

your singing is good enough for a single vox to front the verses.

the chorus section could contrast more to the verse section. either with instrumentation changes or vocal changes. a female Backing vox singer perhaps.

just needs contrast from the A to the B sections. Grooving very well.

Your Basslines are Funky. Cool.

Buddha
Thanks. All the vocals are scratch vocals and I may or may not have the double effect when I come to record them for real. I actually like the way it sounds, but I may just go for that subtle 4 or 6 layer thing that many do with duplicating the same vocal and just pitch shifting slightly each one and mixing them so low that it's very subtle. Glad for listening and the feedback.
Old 4 weeks ago
Thanks, though I have to ask, what does "boxy" mean?

Quote:
2. The mix is a little boxy and muddy.
the track is done using 100% hardware only (no computers anywhere) so it shouldn`t be a problem to adjust a few of the patches to lose the lower end, or maybe bring the sidechain up a little higher.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine_Alicia View Post
Thanks, though I have to ask, what does "boxy" mean?

the track is done using 100% hardware only (no computers anywhere) so it shouldn`t be a problem to adjust a few of the patches to lose the lower end, or maybe bring the sidechain up a little higher.
Boxy is a build up of frequencies in the mid range, like between 500 and 1K. For me, it's also the term I use to describe a mix that's kind of monoish. Not a lot of separation. Your track is more towards that definition than the mid build up, though there is some there too. Just not a lot. The track basically needs a little more air or frequencies above 1K.

If you have a spectrum analyzer, put it on the audio and you can see where the frequencies are too much and/or lacking.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search