The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Post your rough demos
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
I think the chorus does have kick on 1 & 3 and snare on 2 & 4 but will check. I also originally had the 4 on the foot in the chorus but just moved the kick from the 3 a step earlier. I’ve been playing with the chorus a bit so may go back! Thanks for the tips. There are no many other hits either, even hi hats are dead simple now with other percussion to give more movement and shuffle.
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine_Alicia View Post
I`m right there with you! unless it`s shot in one take and live I can`t make music vids either. But, what might help (esp if you want to upload to youtube) is to use a static picture and save it as an MP4 vid that you upload to YT, and that`s pretty easy to do (even i worked it out! LOL)
I use a program called OpenShot video editor (it`s free) then you import your audio WAV and drag that into track one, then you import your picture and drag that into track 2, then you stratch that picture to the length of the audio track and save it back out as a video, you can even drop in several pictures and make a slideshow thingy!
it probably does other stuff too, but it`s a start! xx

Many thanks for your reply!... was unaware of that OpenShot editor before, looks great, cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealSPH3 View Post
Public domain footage from news reels and old flicks would be a nice fit as well.

Check out the U.S. government's footage on the Internet Archive (https://archive.org/details/usgovfilms). Lots of good stuff there, from Roswell interviews to war footage.

It's been a while (more than a decade) since I've had to do any video editing, but I'm guessing there are drag-and-drop applications that make it pretty simple now. Never used OpenShot, but from Katherine's description it sounds like you could incorporate b-roll in much the same manner as a still image, probably wouldn't have to stretch video. Although maybe stretching the video would yield interesting results.
wow, great site that, will check it out, I know what I'm doing this evening!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snail View Post
I just use iMovie which comes free on macs and is super easy to use. I’m sure there’s free PC software.

Katherine gave some good suggestions. You can either get free online footage or you can just get pictures and drag them in to make a photo montage.

A ton of people listen to music on YouTube and people put stuff in playlists etc. Not that you are necessarily trying to make money or build a listener base, but it’s easier to do it on YouTube than most other platforms in my experience.

Cheers for the advice, will look into doing a video and see how I get on, thanks!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by drcmusic View Post
Hi Kane
It's hard to explain without getting technical but here goes:
I would have probably opted for the kick on 1 & 3 and snare on 2 & 4 in the verse. Perhaps pepper with a funky snare single hit syncopation here and there to add flavor.
For the chorus I hear 4 on the floor and the snare on 2 & 4 with almost no variation. Reason: I hear the chorus opening up more and lifting much easier when the extra notes get pulled back.

Just a quick personal mantra I have with music generally is that lots of notes build walls where the listener can't get in. Less notes leaves the door open.

Thanks so much for sharing your excellent material and being so open to ideas. I love what you do!
Be well
Taking your 40 years of funk drumming experience into consideration, I have made a few alterations. I took the kick off the 2 & 3 that was accompanying the snare in the verses (not done the intro yet, which i may or may not change). Also a few other small changes. I then made the beat in the chorus more four on the floor again, back to how I originally had it. Some of the bars have that early kick, as I think it works to accent the vocal in places.

I also altered the chorus vocal and could not hit the high notes as I'd literally just got out of bed! Only scratch vocals still though.

Hope you feel this is an improvement. Thanks again.

https://soundcloud.com/kanewilliams-...t-demo/s-m376A
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Mr. Funk, Spin the Wheel is such an incredibly fun track. Been listening while driving today. Thanks for sharing! Have you listened to Skylar Spence? I think you might really like him.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Any of you guitar wizards be up for recording an acoustic version of Sade's No Ordinary Love? Same tempo, same key. My partner Jo will add vocals. It would be a colab.

Nothing serious that requires weeks of torturous contemplation and mixing etc, just a basic acoustic and vocal. Playing doesn't have to be the best ever, just simple accompaniment like you were busking. The track is 5 chords I believe. One guy on YT shows hows to play it but when you line his chords up with the original track it seems wrong to me?

Anyway, please let me know. Want to do this quickly is possible, as I don't get much time to record.

All the best

Kane
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Funk View Post
Any of you guitar wizards be up for recording an acoustic version of Sade's No Ordinary Love? Same tempo, same key. My partner Jo will add vocals. It would be a colab.

Nothing serious that requires weeks of torturous contemplation and mixing etc, just a basic acoustic and vocal. Playing doesn't have to be the best ever, just simple accompaniment like you were busking. The track is 5 chords I believe. One guy on YT shows hows to play it but when you line his chords up with the original track it seems wrong to me?

Anyway, please let me know. Want to do this quickly is possible, as I don't get much time to record.

All the best

Kane
Hiya Kane, I’d be happy to do it but I’m on the road and won’t be back in the studio until mid-July.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Taking your 40 years of funk drumming experience into consideration, I have made a few alterations. I took the kick off the 2 & 3 that was accompanying the snare in the verses (not done the intro yet, which i may or may not change). Also a few other small changes. I then made the beat in the chorus more four on the floor again, back to how I originally had it. Some of the bars have that early kick, as I think it works to accent the vocal in places.

I also altered the chorus vocal and could not hit the high notes as I'd literally just got out of bed! Only scratch vocals still though.

Hope you feel this is an improvement. Thanks again.

https://soundcloud.com/kanewilliams-...t-demo/s-m376A
Hi Kane
I see where you are going. I'm guessing you may already be invested in more frequent fills and really not completely excited or convinced that really stripping the drums back - meaning a very short snare syncopated hit every 8 bars or so vs. every two - would make this really hit a higher groove.
Again, just my opinion so feel free to discount my thoughts.
The kick in the chorus you mentioned was mostly 4 on the floor but mostly is really not 4 on the floor. Here's what I mean:
Because of the little variations, the 4 on the floor feeling to propel the groove really doesn't ever get established.
You can PM me if this is not clear. I'm not always sure if I'm as helpful as I am trying to be lol!!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

All the best

Kane
I would be happy to do it but I think that there are better players here with better recording setups. If no one better is able or willing then I will give it my best but it won’t be the greatest quality.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snail View Post
Hiya Kane, I’d be happy to do it but I’m on the road and won’t be back in the studio until mid-July.
Thanks. If we can’t get it before then, I will let you know. Thanks again for the offer.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyzygis View Post
I would be happy to do it but I think that there are better players here with better recording setups. If no one better is able or willing then I will give it my best but it won’t be the greatest quality.
Thanks Z. As long as quality is not bad, then not being great is fine. I mean may be and electro acoustic that can go DI would be better?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by drcmusic View Post
Hi Kane
I see where you are going. I'm guessing you may already be invested in more frequent fills and really not completely excited or convinced that really stripping the drums back - meaning a very short snare syncopated hit every 8 bars or so vs. every two - would make this really hit a higher groove.
Again, just my opinion so feel free to discount my thoughts.
The kick in the chorus you mentioned was mostly 4 on the floor but mostly is really not 4 on the floor. Here's what I mean:
Because of the little variations, the 4 on the floor feeling to propel the groove really doesn't ever get established.
You can PM me if this is not clear. I'm not always sure if I'm as helpful as I am trying to be lol!!
Thanks again.

OK, so i have probably not gone all the way with what you said, but definitely gone more so and I think I'm happy with it.

The reason I was having issues with a strict kick on 1 & 3 throughout was that it just seemed to jar, but wasn't sure why. I then thought that may be it was the low "ominous synth" that comes in in the chorus, so I moved the third hits of that the the beat before (where the kick used to go) and it solved the "rhythmic clash" I was feeling. I'm sensitive to certain timing things that never seem to bother anyone else, and nobody is "right", it's just if I feel that dissonance, I can't stand it.

Anyway, i think it works now, but I'll live with it for a while and see. Thanks again mate. https://soundcloud.com/kanewilliams-...t-demo/s-m376A
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Wishing all the fathers a happy father's day.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagtunes View Post
Wishing all the fathers a happy father's day.
Thank you, Wags; you too!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

A jam down Big Sur way
Attached Files

COOKING ON THE GRILL (New).mp3 (13.73 MB, 235 views)

Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

3rd track from my upcoming CD "Still Out Of Sync"

Who Watches The Watchers

Dark night, back alley
The evil that men do
No one cares no one comes
Justice for who

But then, out of nowhere
Comes the judge and jury too
They clean the streets now
They are the few

Who watches the watchers
When the night begins to fall
Who watches the watchers
Who watches us all

We all want a savior
Careful what you wish for
Cures can be worse than the disease
Then you're no more

Blind faith never prospers
In whose hands we put into
They clean our streets now
Broke us in two

Repeat Chorus

Instrumental Break

Repeat Verses 3 and 4

Repeat Chorus

Who watches the watchers
Who watches the watchers
Who watches the watchers
Who watches the watchers

Fade Out

CRITICAL SELF EVALUATION

As I kept this track pretty simple, it's hard for me to find anything much to fault. However, it's possible that the overall ambiance (use of reverb, delay) is off. What do you think? Too much? Should the lead vocal be more up front? I'm too close to this one to really listen to it totally objectively so all comments are welcome.

In the meantime, my last track "Doctor Doctor" will now be moved to finished demos since there was nothing wrong with it. Thank you for all the comments. It's greatly appreciated.

See you all again next Monday.

Looking forward to commenting on your music this week.

Have a good one.

Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
3rd track from my upcoming CD "Still Out Of Sync"

Who Watches The Watchers

Dark night, back alley
The evil that men do
No one cares no one comes
Justice for who

But then, out of nowhere
Comes the judge and jury too
They clean the streets now
They are the few

Who watches the watchers
When the night begins to fall
Who watches the watchers
Who watches us all

We all want a savior
Careful what you wish for
Cures can be worse than the disease
Then you're no more

Blind faith never prospers
In whose hands we put into
They clean our streets now
Broke us in two

Repeat Chorus

Instrumental Break

Repeat Verses 3 and 4

Repeat Chorus

Who watches the watchers
Who watches the watchers
Who watches the watchers
Who watches the watchers

Fade Out

CRITICAL SELF EVALUATION

As I kept this track pretty simple, it's hard for me to find anything much to fault. However, it's possible that the overall ambiance (use of reverb, delay) is off. What do you think? Too much? Should the lead vocal be more up front? I'm too close to this one to really listen to it totally objectively so all comments are welcome.

In the meantime, my last track "Doctor Doctor" will now be moved to finished demos since there was nothing wrong with it. Thank you for all the comments. It's greatly appreciated.

See you all again next Monday.

Looking forward to commenting on your music this week.

Have a good one.

Quite like this one overall. I would say the vocals are the weak link mix wise. They sound too distant and roomy, like they were recorded on a cheap mic in a bad room.

I think if you were to record with a dynamic mic if possible (condenser will obviously do too) really close, so the sound is really intimate, like you are telling the story right into someone's ear. You need weight in the voice and proximity will give that I think. For me, the vocal just sound at odds with the track that sounds nice and clean and "hi-fi.

You could try 3 layers of vocals, one recorded real close to the mic (main one) and have two more layers recorded at 18" and 36" from the mic and blend to taste. Just add the verbs to the middle distance one and use the natural verb of the room for the wide one. In fact, the vocal you have could be one of those layers so it's not "wasted".

These are just some creative suggestions that may sound cool, but in a nutshell I think this track will sound WAY better with another go at capturing the vocal up close.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by IGotWorms View Post
I've been enjoying learning about glue. Ran this one through a hardware compressor twice with ~1db of compression.
Like the song, very old time sound which I like. Could have been in a Cohen Bros film!

Now mix wise, there is something charming about the "lo-fi" quality of this, but I would try some basic EQ.

First, I'd get rid of lots of that mud which i think is in the drum track, but it's possibly in the guitar track? It feels like there is a constant feeling of low frequencies that is clouding the whole recording.

Keep the sub and low bass as this is cool, but I would suggest cutting around 200Hz - 400Hz by at least 6dB. Just sweep around with the frequency selector nob and see what works.

I would then High pass filter the guitar from around 100hZ add some higher EQ to the guitar around 10K. Again, these frequency suggestions may be way out, so just try sweeping around again till it sounds nice.

I would then add some "air band" boost to the vocal. A nice free EQ is Luftikus (if you don't already have something with a dedicated air band) and I usually boost at either 20K or 40K.

After you have played with these things, i think it will still retain it's rawness, but with some better definition and clarity.

Finally, just add a clean limiter on the main 2 bus to raise the overall level and add final glue.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjogo View Post
Did a good dip around 2K '''' slight boost at 5k touch up at 450,,,, up a few up at 750 All with TDR EQ plugs

Verb was maybe LXP 1 /5 -- possible PCM 70 -- pretty sure I was past the Quadaverb /ART / Roland stuff
I would run this mix through a clean compressor to lift the level and add some punch, as it's a little flat sounding. Music and voice is all good though! Nice job as always.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by belle_pc View Post
https://paytoncollier.bandcamp.com/track/in-song

Hey everyone. Just joined today and am loving the forum. You can tell from this recording but I'm still learning my way around the recording process.

Any feedback on this track would be very appreciated!
I actually like this just the way it is. I also love the intimate recording. I think the mic you used (what was it?) suits your voice. There is a bit of boom in the guitar, but I'm not sure I'd lose it, as I like it. I would maybe tame it a little but only in a few places, may be with a multiband compressor or dynamic EQ.

Lovely song and playing.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeg09 View Post

Here is a song I made awhile ago and just decided to post it. I sound like a cocky bastard in it but I felt that the tune was enjoyable lol. If you feel like your the man, this is a good song for you
Really enjoyed that! The chorus/hook was a bit long for my tastes as I wanted to hear you get back into the rapping, but good job.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Quite like this one overall. I would say the vocals are the weak link mix wise. They sound too distant and roomy, like they were recorded on a cheap mic in a bad room.

I think if you were to record with a dynamic mic if possible (condenser will obviously do too) really close, so the sound is really intimate, like you are telling the story right into someone's ear. You need weight in the voice and proximity will give that I think. For me, the vocal just sound at odds with the track that sounds nice and clean and "hi-fi.

You could try 3 layers of vocals, one recorded real close to the mic (main one) and have two more layers recorded at 18" and 36" from the mic and blend to taste. Just add the verbs to the middle distance one and use the natural verb of the room for the wide one. In fact, the vocal you have could be one of those layers so it's not "wasted".

These are just some creative suggestions that may sound cool, but in a nutshell I think this track will sound WAY better with another go at capturing the vocal up close.
Thanks Kane. Yeah, there's a lot of reverb on the vocal. Probably because of my lack of confidence in my singing. Also partially because I was going for a "dreamy" kind of sound. Wasn't sure if it worked or not.

The mic itself is a very good one. It's a $300 Rode NT2-A. So that's not the problem.

Will revisit this when I get the chance. Probably just needs me to turn down the reverb for a dryer sound.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I agree with Kane's comments. There is a lot of mud in the low end. A little EQ should take care of this. Nice song though.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
It always amazes me how much subtle changes can be heard and felt. When I was slamming a bus limiter wags thought there was something wrong with the guitar levels(turns out the vocals were pumping the guitar).

What your hearing this time was my choice not to use a pick and being too close to the mic. I definitely wont be recording without a pick again. Im going to try a ~100hz cut, but I imagine it will take out the low fundamentals that usually add to the fatness of the bass.

Im going to look more into boosting those air frequencies.

I've been obsessing over bus compression, I think I need to start a thread asking about glue. I'm not chasing loud volume but I don't know if I like the kind of "suck out""breathless" sound when going past -1.5 gain reduction. The mp3 web player doesn't play well with mono tracks and cuts the volume way down. I think I can get it slightly louder but I also have been thinking about not using bus compression(Bob Olhsson has some interesting stuff to say about it).The history of mix bus compression

Thanks for the tips!
y

I’m sure you will be able to thin the mud out without ruining the sound. You could also try a gate/expander to see if that can lessen the mud between the notes. I find an expanded that lowers by 20dB or so better than a gate as it’s more subtle. A dynamic EQ can be good as it only cuts more when the frequencies get louder and less when they are not as loud. Like a multiband compressor. You can get a free plugin with any purchase from Plugin Aliance called BX Sub Filter which may work for you

Last edited by Mr Funk; 4 weeks ago at 08:38 PM..
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I like the break, the ending, and the fade. This was your most catchy one yet. The vocals are improving every time.
Thanks for the listen and the feedback. Appreciate it.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
I backed off the mic and now the vocal highs came back!!
Getting up close on a mic adds more low end, shouldn’t alter the high end. However, all this bass will mask the highs. You can try a few recordings at different distances and see which you like best (in the mix). You can get close and use a HPF if you want to avoid too much of a bad room sound.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
I backed off the mic and now the vocal highs came back!!
Sounds much much better.

I would still try adding some sparkle to the guitar. However, Lets say you give a little high shelf boost from 5K upward. May be have the boost only about 2-3dB during the vocals, then lift it by another 2dB during the breaks in the vocal. If this doesn't work, try just automating the level of the guitar to raise another 2dB during those breaks.

Sounding good.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I just stumbled onto a Youtube channel the other day that teaches music composition. I actually found it quite inspiring. I think it will help a lot of folks who struggle coming up with ideas for songs.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRD...8HjE2r7_ZuNtWA
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Here is a first rough demo of a new Fall of Twentyseven song that I am currently working on. This one has less influence from metal and hard rock than my usual stuff, I'd say that this one is more mainstream(?) rock.

My wife tells me I need to work on the lyrics and she just might be right. Let me know if there is something that you really like/dislike about the demo?
Attached Files

LOSE MY MIND.mp3 (7.04 MB, 536 views)

Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jugetsu85 View Post
Here is a first rough demo of a new Fall of Twentyseven song that I am currently working on. This one has less influence from metal and hard rock than my usual stuff, I'd say that this one is more mainstream(?) rock.

My wife tells me I need to work on the lyrics and she just might be right. Let me know if there is something that you really like/dislike about the demo?
I really like this. As far as lyrics go, I'm the last one to give any advice in that area as writing lyrics is not my strong point.

Only thing I'd suggest is that I think the vocals should have a harder edge to them. Don't want you to wreck your voice but if you could put a little Metallica into it I think it would really send it over the top. Right now, the vocals are too tame for the music.

Of course just my opinion.

Like I said, really like this one.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by jugetsu85 View Post

The lyrics seemed fine maybe they would seem offensive if misconstrued?
The improvement(vocals) after each song is noteworthy, the timing etc is improving. I would chase a better diction for the word shout, but I like the tuning and timing of the words before it. Loved the bridge. Cool song. make more.

Quote:
Only thing I'd suggest is that I think the vocals should have a harder edge to them.
He sounds like he's belting out full volume, I think the vocals might just sound better if they were more forward in the mix. I couldn't hear a lot of the lyrics but I think my speakers make vocals seem quiet.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search