The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Post your rough demos Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 1 week ago
  #6871
Lives for gear
 
cjogo's Avatar
A inspiration from the days at the Filmore West -- the dancers
Attached Files

MOVE.mp3 (10.90 MB, 369 views)


Last edited by cjogo; 1 week ago at 12:47 AM..
Old 1 week ago
  #6872
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by wagtunes View Post
Okay, it's not the flute. It's the lead that comes in at around 3:20 that actually does sound like a Moog. It sound like it's only one oscillator.

Try this. Add a second oscillator (same waveform) and detune it slightly. I think it will make a huge difference.
Ok, and is this the same element that you said "The synth lead sounds a little thin. Maybe a touch more reverb or a little delay. Kind of sticks out in the mix like it's sitting on top and not in it"? I thought it was that same synth solo sound and I added the dual tight delay to thicken it up and bed it in a bit but you then said you agreed with Z that is sounded better before, unless you were talking about another sound that I didn't actually change? lol

Anyway, I will see if it was a single OSC synth or dual and if dual, I'll try detuning one more. I have a feeling it may be a 2 OSC patch, but i may have only used one of them.
Old 1 week ago
  #6873
Lives for gear
 
wagtunes's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Funk View Post
Ok, and is this the same element that you said "The synth lead sounds a little thin. Maybe a touch more reverb or a little delay. Kind of sticks out in the mix like it's sitting on top and not in it"? I thought it was that same synth solo sound and I added the dual tight delay to thicken it up and bed it in a bit but you then said you agreed with Z that is sounded better before, unless you were talking about another sound that I didn't actually change? lol

Anyway, I will see if it was a single OSC synth or dual and if dual, I'll try detuning one more. I have a feeling it may be a 2 OSC patch, but i may have only used one of them.
No, it's definitely the Moog lead at 3:20. The flute is fine. It's played along with the vocal so it mixes in well. The Moog sounds thin. See if it's a 1 OSC patch. If it is, try adding a 2nd OSC and detuning. I think it will make a world of difference.
Old 1 week ago
  #6874
I agree, I’d adjust the filter resonance to be higher, add in a square wave slightly detuned and add a bit of filter attack to give it a bit of a funky quack. I wouldn’t even mind a Donald Duck Synth solo sound sorta like the JX-3P Voice preset or MT-32 Funny Vox.
Old 1 week ago
  #6875
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Bird View Post
I agree, I’d adjust the filter resonance to be higher, add in a square wave slightly detuned and add a bit of filter attack to give it a bit of a funky quack. I wouldn’t even mind a Donald Duck Synth solo sound sorta like the JX-3P Voice preset or MT-32 Funny Vox.
I'm no synth expert, so it's a lot of trial and error with me, but I'll give it a go. Thanks guys.
Old 1 week ago
  #6876
Lives for gear
 
s wave's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Funk View Post
Well The Merseybeats are from the 60's, the Queen track is from the 80's and the Babyface track the 90's (I think), so not that new! hehe
AHHH the Merseybeat! Merseybeat Music Songs | AllMusic
I love when a moving 'sound' is created in an area or with a connected group of artists... That synergy is timeless. Unlike 'quasi-sub-genres' they transcend and are so worth musing over or studying in depth. The inspiration and spirit sits on top of the song.
Old 1 week ago
  #6877
Lives for gear
 
wagtunes's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Funk View Post
I'm no synth expert, so it's a lot of trial and error with me, but I'll give it a go. Thanks guys.
If you tell me what synth you're using, if I own it, I can design a patch for you and send it to you. Or, I can walk you through creating a patch as long as I'm familiar with the architecture.
Old 1 week ago
  #6878
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Funk View Post
Thanks for the great comments. I'm glad the synth solo worked for you, as I take it this sounds like it's been "played" when in reality, it's played a few notes at a time and then edited etc.

I will say I don't class this as a "rough demo" really either, I just class it as not finished, with some room for improvement, but I would say it's 95% as good as I can get it. I only post in the "finished demo" thread when I class it as ready for the mastering engineer, just for another set of ears that may make me do a few last tweaks. There are different guys posting on that thread.

I look forward to hearing your music btw. Don't worry if you don't think the mix is all that great, that's what the thread is for!

Here is the new version of Shine, which as addressed Wag and Z's comments, namely giving some air to the vocals, taming the kick, altering the snare and trying to bed the solo synth in a bit. Have I done enough guys, or did I miss the mark?

Cheers

Light - Demo by KaneWilliams | Kane Williams | Free Listening on SoundCloud
The synth solo certainly sounded played in but when i said they were difficult to pull off i was referring more to the difficulty of them not sounding naff, even when performed by technically great players. Reading back that sounds like i have some horrible synth prejudice which i can assure you isn't the case, there's enough of them in my own stuff! Just feel one should tread carefully with solos whatever the instrument. More of a solo prejudice in general i suppose :D

Thanks for the encouraging words, i'll defo be sharing something soon.
Old 1 week ago
  #6879
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxwaves View Post
Happy Weekend, my friends!

Sometimes I just lay down a very rough track of music for a song idea, just so I won't forget the tune.

I'm posting one of those here that I probably did 5 years ago and occasionally stumble across it and am surprised that I still like the tune. The music is terrible as it was just the same as making a note on a scratchpad. but this gist of the tune is there, and the keyboard cello I'm playing badly is where the vocal would be.

I value the opinions of folks here, and am wondering what this sounds like to other ears. I'm trying to decide on a song to actually commit to and am not sure if this is it. I'm thinking to most of the younger folks it will probably sound old and draggy. Maybe to the older folks too, haha.

Your thoughts would be appreciated! Have a nice weekend!
Others have mentioned 'sorrow' as a possible reference point and i can definitely hear that in the melody but in terms of mood and tempo your track reminds me more of mid 70's walker brothers, things like 'No regrets' so maybe that could provide some inspiration on where to take it. Based on the limited exposure I've had to your music i can hear your voice working on that kind of material.

Good luck whatever you decide to do with it, you seem like someone who knows what works for you so I'm sure you'll do something great with it.
Old 1 week ago
  #6880
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by wagtunes View Post
If you tell me what synth you're using, if I own it, I can design a patch for you and send it to you. Or, I can walk you through creating a patch as long as I'm familiar with the architecture.
Thanks for the kind offer Wag, but I don't think you would have it as it's a VERY basic Vintage machines 2 for Kontakt.

You were right, it was a single OSC, so what I have done is duplicated it and tweaked the dupe to act as the 2nd OSC. There is not even a de-tune in it, so I detuned by 9 cents using a pitch plug in.

Music bird, there was also no filter attack in the synth unless it was called something else, but I managed to make it "quack" a bit, which I like. I also upped the filter Res. I think this sounds better and I hope all agree? I like the sound I had anyway, may be because it wasn't so "expected" but I do like what I have now.

Light - Demo by KaneWilliams | Kane Williams | Free Listening on SoundCloud

Last edited by Mr Funk; 1 week ago at 12:05 PM..
Old 1 week ago
  #6881
Lives for gear
 
wagtunes's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Funk View Post
Thanks for the kind offer Wag, but I don't think you would have it as it's a VERY basic Vintage machines 2 for Kontakt.

You were right, it was a single OSC, so what I have done is duplicated it and tweaked the dupe to act as the 2nd OSC. There is not even a de-tune in it, so I detuned by 9 cents using a pitch plug in.

Music bird, there was also no filter attack in the synth unless it was called something else, but I managed to make it "quack" a bit, which I like. I also upped the filter Res. I think this sounds better and I hope all agree? I like the sound I had anyway, may be because it wasn't so "expected" but I do like what I have now.

Light - Demo by KaneWilliams | Kane Williams | Free Listening on SoundCloud
Actually, as a Komplete 11 owner, I have Kontakt and all the Vintage Machine stuff. As synths go, they're pretty meh. I almost never use them unless there is a sound that I can't get anywhere else, which is rare.

Anyway, the lead now has some character. It can probably be brought up a db or two. It's kind of buried in the mix and does need to be up front more. That should do it.

Question: Do you not own any actual real synths? There are plenty of free ones that sound much better than Vintage Machines. Off the top of my head, Synth1 which has thousands of free sounds available for it online. It is one of the better free synths out there. Tyrell N6 is another very good one. For a great Oberheim sound there is OBXD. For FM leads, there's Dexed.

Believe me, you don't have to settle for what is basically a sample playback machine. There's great stuff out there that won't cost you a dime. And if you ever need any programming done, I can do it for you. Just let me know what you're looking for.
Old 1 week ago
  #6882
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by wagtunes View Post
Actually, as a Komplete 11 owner, I have Kontakt and all the Vintage Machine stuff. As synths go, they're pretty meh. I almost never use them unless there is a sound that I can't get anywhere else, which is rare.

Anyway, the lead now has some character. It can probably be brought up a db or two. It's kind of buried in the mix and does need to be up front more. That should do it.

Question: Do you not own any actual real synths? There are plenty of free ones that sound much better than Vintage Machines. Off the top of my head, Synth1 which has thousands of free sounds available for it online. It is one of the better free synths out there. Tyrell N6 is another very good one. For a great Oberheim sound there is OBXD. For FM leads, there's Dexed.

Believe me, you don't have to settle for what is basically a sample playback machine. There's great stuff out there that won't cost you a dime. And if you ever need any programming done, I can do it for you. Just let me know what you're looking for.
Hi Wag, yes I do have some synths. I love OXBD. I also have Synth 1 but could do with downloading some nice patches for it. Not being a synth expert, I prefer using presets as a starting point. I also have Dexed and I actually really like all the original DX7 presets, even though I know lots hate them but I'm sure I struggled to get the sound banks installed.
Old 1 week ago
  #6883
Lives for gear
 
wagtunes's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Funk View Post
Hi Wag, yes I do have some synths. I love OXBD. I also have Synth 1 but could do with downloading some nice patches for it. Not being a synth expert, I prefer using presets as a starting point. I also have Dexed and I actually really like all the original DX7 presets, even though I know lots hate them but I'm sure I struggled to get the sound banks installed.
Well if you ever need any help with anything I'm just a PM away.

Oh, and if I haven't already said this, love your voice. If I could sing like you. It is very commercial sounding for the genre you seem to specialize in. You have your sound down cold. It's always enjoyable listening to your stuff, even if I can't always tell when the chorus starts.
Old 1 week ago
  #6884
Gear Head
 
Big Ben's Avatar
 

HI all, anyone want to REMIX or add to this track idea feel free to it’s electronic but could do with something along the 80s / 90s indi style guitars vocals or whatever you think maybe Motown or jazz whatever works. It’s just a rough demo done in one take all midi sequenced with the Mpc at 108 BPM
I feel it would be very interesting to have someone else to freely add to the idea & see what we could come up with thanks

Old 1 week ago
  #6885
Lives for gear
 
cjogo's Avatar
Bare Naked Red ---
Attached Files

BARE NAKED RED~.mp3 (6.79 MB, 286 views)

Old 1 week ago
  #6886
Lives for gear
 
foxwaves's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bini1 View Post
Others have mentioned 'sorrow' as a possible reference point and i can definitely hear that in the melody but in terms of mood and tempo your track reminds me more of mid 70's walker brothers, things like 'No regrets' so maybe that could provide some inspiration on where to take it. Based on the limited exposure I've had to your music i can hear your voice working on that kind of material.

Good luck whatever you decide to do with it, you seem like someone who knows what works for you so I'm sure you'll do something great with it.
Thank you very much, Bibi1. I'll listen to the song you mentioned . Thanks for your kind words, too as they are encouraging and I guess everyone needs that. Have a great week!
Old 1 week ago
  #6887
Lives for gear
 
foxwaves's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bini1 View Post
Others have mentioned 'sorrow' as a possible reference point and i can definitely hear that in the melody but in terms of mood and tempo your track reminds me more of mid 70's walker brothers, things like 'No regrets' so maybe that could provide some inspiration on where to take it. Based on the limited exposure I've had to your music i can hear your voice working on that kind of material.

Good luck whatever you decide to do with it, you seem like someone who knows what works for you so I'm sure you'll do something great with it.
I just listened to the Walker Brothers' song and I see where you get the connection. I had to sample another song of theirs while I was at it because as far as I can remember...I'd never heard of the Walker Brothers.


The singer is a lot more laid back vocally than I could probably be, haha. I really have to feel whatever emotion the song should have or they are just flat for me. I do better with sad songs. Thanks again, Bini1!
Old 1 week ago
  #6888
Lives for gear
 
Zyzygis's Avatar
 



A new mix with adjustments based on the feedback I got from you guys.
Let me know if it's better. Thanks.
Old 1 week ago
  #6889
Lives for gear
 
foxwaves's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyzygis View Post


A new mix with adjustments based on the feedback I got from you guys.
Let me know if it's better. Thanks.
Hey Z, that sounds great! It has very reflective lyrics and is relaxing. I like the intro as it is, but it might be a tad long for some.

Also, it's probably my old ears...I have significant hearing loss and severe tinnitus...but I kept wishing the vocal was a bit louder. I cranked the volume enough to penetrate the ringing, crickets and clicking I "hear" all the time but still stained to make out the words. The lyrics are sooo good I wanted to hear every word. Nice voice too, my friend!

Keep in mind I'm not qualified to really critique anyone's music...just an average Joe who knows what he likes, and he likes your song.

Have a nice week!
Old 1 week ago
  #6890
Lives for gear
 
Zyzygis's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxwaves View Post
Hey Z, that sounds great! It has very reflective lyrics and is relaxing. I like the intro as it is, but it might be a tad long for some.

Also, it's probably my old ears...I have significant hearing loss and severe tinnitus...but I kept wishing the vocal was a bit louder. I cranked the volume enough to penetrate the ringing, crickets and clicking I "hear" all the time but still stained to make out the words. The lyrics are sooo good I wanted to hear every word. Nice voice too, my friend!

Keep in mind I'm not qualified to really critique anyone's music...just an average Joe who knows what he likes, and he likes your song.

Have a nice week!
Thank you so much for your kind words.
I thought I had got the voice right for once but it seems not. I guess that, knowing the lyrics so well I can still ‘hear‘ them even when they are buried.
I will do another mix later and bring them up a bit more.
I want the intro to be long and unhurried and to create a languid feeling into the first verse. Not very commercial I know but that’s the point really.
I really appreciate your feedback, especially as an ‘average Joe’ (I have yet to meet an average Joe who is average, by the way) and you, my friend are certainly not!
Old 1 week ago
  #6891
Lives for gear
 
foxwaves's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyzygis View Post
Thank you so much for your kind words.
I thought I had got the voice right for once but it seems not. I guess that, knowing the lyrics so well I can still ‘hear‘ them even when they are buried.
I will do another mix later and bring them up a bit more.
I want the intro to be long and unhurried and to create a languid feeling into the first verse. Not very commercial I know but that’s the point really.
I really appreciate your feedback, especially as an ‘average Joe’ (I have yet to meet an average Joe who is average, by the way) and you, my friend are certainly not!

You're very welcome, Z, but the pleasure was mine. I truly like the song and will be listening again! If you had a CD for sale, I'd buy it!


I know what you mean about knowing lyrics so well that it's difficult to judge clarity for others. As I mentioned, your box is probably just right, but nearly a half-century in construction has taken it's toll on my hearing, plus standing in front of a Vox Super Beatle, drums and so on for years. Someone with good ears would be better suited to advise about your vocal level.

I thought you were going for a very relaxed setup for the lyrics and it works well. It's cleanses the mental palate for the introspective lyrics that follow and I think it's perfect. As you say, not commercial, but most of us here do our own thing, right? I don't labor under any illusions, haha.

Well, thanks, I admit it: I'm just working my way up to average! Enjoy your week...I'll be back to driving nails it seems. :/
Old 1 week ago
  #6892
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyzygis View Post


A new mix with adjustments based on the feedback I got from you guys.
Let me know if it's better. Thanks.
I still think it's a great song..and I still think the mix needs a lot of work!

What I see as being the issues are (and take this as constructive - wouldn't bother if I didn't like it!);

Drums - Little bit too much boom at around 200-300hz and the reverb is unpleasant on the highs. For drums I usually roll off everything below around 500hz and above about 7khz. A variant on the old 'Abbey Road' trick, so the hat's cymbals aren't 'washy' and the kick cuts through.

Bass - again could do with just a little cut in the lower mids

Vocals - Hmmm, don't know what you've done here but you're losing all the 's' frequencies, as if now you've gone overboard with a de-sesser? Sounds quite unnatural. The reverb on the vocals is could also do with being cut at both ends as the high frequencies are again harsh, and anything under 200hz will just add boom. From the sound of the vocal (the 'mouth noises etc) I'd say you were quite close to the mic when recording? If so perhaps try a bit further away (I like about 18 inches to 2 feet away as a good compromise for a more natural overall sound - I try to tell people that having a bit of 'room' sound isn't entirely a bad thing, and that they won't hear it anyway in a mix, but no-one listens to Mr Donkey!).

Anyway - hope this helps in some way. I suppose I'd best go to work now....

Last edited by donkey tugger; 1 week ago at 07:17 AM.. Reason: spelling
Old 1 week ago
  #6893
Lives for gear
 
Zyzygis's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by donkey tugger View Post
I still think it's a great song..and I still think the mix needs a lot of work!

What I see as being the issues are (and take this as constructive - wouldn't bother if I didn't like it!);

Drums - Little bit too much boom at around 200-300hz and the reverb is unpleasant on the highs. For drums I usually roll off everything below around 500hz and above about 7khz. A variant on the old 'Abbey Road' trick, so the hat's cymbals aren't 'washy' and the kick cuts through.

Bass - again could do with just a little cut in the lower mids

Vocals - Hmmm, don't know what you've done here but you're losing all the 's' frequencies, as if now you've gone overboard with a de-sesser? Sounds quite unnatural. The reverb on the vocals is could also do with being cut at both ends as the high frequencies are again harsh, and anything under 200hz will just add boom. From the sound of the vocal (the 'mouth noises etc) I'd say you were quite close to the mic when recording? If so perhaps try a bit further away (I like about 18 inches to 2 feet away as a good compromise for a more natural overall sound - I try to tell people that having a bit of 'room' sound isn't entirely a bad thing, and that they won't hear it anyway in a mix, but no-one listens to Mr Donkey!).

Anyway - hope this helps in some way. I suppose I'd best go to work now....
Thanks D.T.
Great feedback! It really helps to have some specific advice. I probably did go overboard with the deesser which would also explain why Foxwaves had trouble hearing the lyrics properly..
I will try another mix based on your suggestions.
Old 1 week ago
  #6894
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyzygis View Post


A new mix with adjustments based on the feedback I got from you guys.
Let me know if it's better. Thanks.
I just listened on iphone speakers and the vox are easily heard for me...
There is a very pleasant musicality in your music.
I for one love the extended intro...there are lots of current bands doing that sort of thing.

Eric
Old 1 week ago
  #6895
Lives for gear
 
Zyzygis's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcycle View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyzygis View Post


A new mix with adjustments based on the feedback I got from you guys.
Let me know if it's better. Thanks.
I just listened on iphone speakers and the vox are easily heard for me...
There is a very pleasant musicality in your music.
I for one love the extended intro...there are lots of current bands doing that sort of thing.

Eric
Thanks Eric!
I am glad to hear that you enjoyed the song. I always try to make the lyrics as clear as possible while keeping them embedded into the music as well as I can.
Thanks for the compliment.
Old 1 week ago
  #6896
Lives for gear
 
Zyzygis's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcycle View Post
I just listened on iphone speakers and the vox are easily heard for me...
There is a very pleasant musicality in your music.
I for one love the extended intro...there are lots of current bands doing that sort of thing.

Eric
I just had a listen to the song you posted in the finished demos thread and I have to say I am very impressed!
You have got talent my friend and a wonderful voice too!
Old 1 week ago
  #6897
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by donkey tugger View Post
but no-one listens to Mr Donkey!).
I listen, I enjoy listening to your mixes and I if I could get in that ballpark I'd be one happy puppy.

I enjoy the layers, separation, clarity and headroom amongst other things, you could call me a "Donkey Disciple" or a follower of the way of the Donkey
Old 1 week ago
  #6898
Lives for gear
 
cjogo's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyzygis View Post


A new mix with adjustments based on the feedback I got from you guys.
Let me know if it's better. Thanks.
Great song and lyrics --you dialed back that effect on your vocals ..way better
Old 1 week ago
  #6899
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Noodlist View Post
you could call me a "Donkey Disciple"
Started me own cult (hmmm, usually not an 'l' there....). I've seen on KVR that you've got some nice geetars. You'll surely be donating them to the cause now....
Old 1 week ago
  #6900
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by donkey tugger View Post

Started me own cult (hmmm, usually not an 'l' there....). I've seen on KVR that you've got some nice geetars. You'll surely be donating them to the cause now....
Ahem......
I'm currently attemping 2 refrets and a level and crown (crown went wrong, the last was higher than the rest). I've since got a fret rocker and fret hammer, happy days, action lower than ¼".
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
dhollmusik / Electronic Music Instruments and Electronic Music Production
15
linchpin123 / Work In Progress / Advice Requested / Show and Tell / Artist Showcase / Mix-Offs
1
ianvargo / Work In Progress / Advice Requested / Show and Tell / Artist Showcase / Mix-Offs
4
dagg / So much gear, so little time
8
Mr Funk / Work In Progress / Advice Requested / Show and Tell / Artist Showcase / Mix-Offs
10

Forum Jump
Forum Jump