The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Post your rough demos
Old 10th April 2019
  #6811
Lives for gear
 
cjogo's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by bini1 View Post
You definitely nailed that vibe. shame it cut out where it did, that arrangement was building nicely.

Uploaded a newer mix -- i found
Attached Files

DEEPER WATERS 1.mp3 (14.14 MB, 115 views)


Last edited by cjogo; 12th April 2019 at 11:28 PM..
Old 10th April 2019
  #6812
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bini1 View Post
Thanks for sharing, really good song. Love the slightly droney/psyche aspect of it and you've a great voice, very Mark Hollis as has been mentioned. The mix sounds very accomplished to these amateur ears.
Cheers, drones strings and the jangling I do a lot on the geetars, sort of like Johnny Marr, if he'd hurt his hand and drunk 10 pints of lager..
Old 10th April 2019
  #6813
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by clump View Post
Your stuff is so ****ing good.
Thank you sir, very kind. More nonsense to come shortly..
Old 10th April 2019
  #6814
Lives for gear
 
clump's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by donkey tugger View Post
Thank you sir, very kind. More nonsense to come shortly..
Look forward to it......Sorry about my less than articulate 'review' but when I'm particularly taken with something, expletives seem the best and only form of expression....possibly why I was never invited to appear on 'Jukebox Jury'
Old 10th April 2019
  #6815
Lives for gear
 
foxwaves's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjogo View Post
No :: I like the beat -- sits well with the groove /singing

You're the third musician to say the BPM is right, and I think all of you make more music than me so your opinions are valuable and respected. Thanks for sharing your thoughts, cjogo .
Old 10th April 2019
  #6816
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by clump View Post
Look forward to it......Sorry about my less than articulate 'review' but when I'm particularly taken with something, expletives seem the best and only form of expression....possibly why I was never invited to appear on 'Jukebox Jury'
Haha, no worries, in Yorkshire swearing is an artform and a mark of respect/endearment/endorsement etc...and I am one of the worst offenders!
Old 11th April 2019
  #6817
Lives for gear
 
cjogo's Avatar
Summer stab at a new one ..
Attached Files

SMILING EYES sept 2018.mp3 (8.85 MB, 344 views)

Old 11th April 2019
  #6818
Gear Nut
 

...And another one - time to stop arseing around with it now. Still tinkering, but nearly there I think. Starts off fairly standard acoustic and jangle (in for a penny with the Byrds ripoff...) then veers off slightly into psychedelic territory.

http://www.bennyleeds7.myfreeola.uk/...-burn-burn.mp3
Old 11th April 2019
  #6819
Lives for gear
 
clump's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by donkey tugger View Post
...And another one - time to stop arseing around with it now. Still tinkering, but nearly there I think. Starts off fairly standard acoustic and jangle (in for a penny with the Byrds ripoff...) then veers off slightly into psychedelic territory.

http://www.bennyleeds7.myfreeola.uk/...-burn-burn.mp3
Love that, another great tune.

I like the fact that you give a nod to your influences yet retain a very individual sound, that's such a difficult balance to find.

May I ask what equipment you record with? I have a Tascam DP something or other, which I'm quite ham fisted with.......I've always been a bit of a luddite.
Old 11th April 2019
  #6820
Quote:
Originally Posted by jugetsu85 View Post

I've been eyeing this little pice of hw for tracking vocals: FMR Audio PBC-6A – Thomann Suomi

Any thoughts or experiences ?

.
I have that compressor. I liked it on bass but not so much on vocals, but then I don’t do music in your style, so that might be something to consider. The advantage is it’s cheap!

I actually am putting it up for sale, so if you want it you can PM. Shipping might be costly since I think you’re in Finland and I’m in the US?
Old 11th April 2019
  #6821
Lives for gear
 
foxwaves's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by donkey tugger View Post
...And another one - time to stop arseing around with it now. Still tinkering, but nearly there I think. Starts off fairly standard acoustic and jangle (in for a penny with the Byrds ripoff...) then veers off slightly into psychedelic territory.

http://www.bennyleeds7.myfreeola.uk/...-burn-burn.mp3

Very enjoyable and well done! I liked the Byrds' 12-stringy jangle at the first and the sometimes grittiness in your voice was dead on for this song. My favorite part was the build up at about 2'28" that lead into that great ending. You and the other talented folks here both inspire me and make me think I should quit, haha. Great job on this song, as always!
Old 11th April 2019
  #6822
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snail View Post
I have that compressor. I liked it on bass but not so much on vocals, but then I don’t do music in your style, so that might be something to consider. The advantage is it’s cheap!

I actually am putting it up for sale, so if you want it you can PM. Shipping might be costly since I think you’re in Finland and I’m in the US?
I was considering one of those too. I was also considering the SKnote RP2A as it is even cheaper I think. I ended up getting a TPC-1 from RSE but I'd still like other optical type comps to try as well. I'll probably look at all these then along with the KT2A.
Old 11th April 2019
  #6823
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Funk View Post
I was considering one of those too. I was also considering the SKnote RP2A as it is even cheaper I think. I ended up getting a TPC-1 from RSE but I'd still like other optical type comps to try as well. I'll probably look at all these then along with the KT2A.
Yes, I’d go for the KT2A or something like it... there’s a reason why LA2A and 76 originals and clones are so popular. I’m thinking about picking up the AudioScape optical compressor, which is also an LA2A clone (but over twice the price of the KT2A). My favorites among the ones I’ve owned (for vocals and bass) is a Retro Doublewide (currently my go to) and before that a Manley ELOP, which was also great.

I just didn’t quite feel it with the FMR PBC6a. There are very good plugins now so the bar is high, and it’s about the character and color of the compressor, not just leveling. But if one just needs something for tracking on the way in and catching or smoothing peaks then that’s different of course.
Old 11th April 2019
  #6824
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snail View Post
Yes, I’d go for the KT2A or something like it... there’s a reason why LA2A and 76 originals and clones are so popular. I’m thinking about picking up the AudioScape optical compressor, which is also an LA2A clone (but over twice the price of the KT2A). My favorites among the ones I’ve owned (for vocals and bass) is a Retro Doublewide (currently my go to) and before that a Manley ELOP, which was also great.

I just didn’t quite feel it with the FMR PBC6a. There are very good plugins now so the bar is high, and it’s about the character and color of the compressor, not just leveling. But if one just needs something for tracking on the way in and catching or smoothing peaks then that’s different of course.
My latest tracking has been using the TPC-1, which is a tube pre and optical comp, with lots of tubes in the path. This is more for colour. I then go into the line in of the Safe Sound P1 to use the invisible compressor on that. I think it's quite a characterful front end. I may try my Buzz Ma2.2 going into the line in of the TPC-1 and then into the P1 and shee what that gives me.
Old 11th April 2019
  #6825
Lives for gear
 
cjogo's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by donkey tugger View Post
...And another one - time to stop arseing around with it now. Still tinkering, but nearly there I think. Starts off fairly standard acoustic and jangle (in for a penny with the Byrds ripoff...) then veers off slightly into psychedelic territory.

http://www.bennyleeds7.myfreeola.uk/...-burn-burn.mp3
Very Byrdish ~#!! Having just been listening last week to their History -- brings back that unique sound -- thanks >. nice job
Old 11th April 2019
  #6826
Gear Addict
 
jugetsu85's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snail View Post
I have that compressor. I liked it on bass but not so much on vocals, but then I don’t do music in your style, so that might be something to consider. The advantage is it’s cheap!

I actually am putting it up for sale, so if you want it you can PM. Shipping might be costly since I think you’re in Finland and I’m in the US?
Hey man thanks for the input on the compressor, I'll have to think twice before pulling the trigger on that one then! And you are right about my location, shipping all the way to Finland is probably not the most viable option in this case :-) but thanks anyway!

And extra special shout out to all those who have commented on the song "Final Lies" and my other recent stuff @ LovesPizzaTime @ donkey tugger @ badmark @ wagtunes @ Zyzygis @ The Noodlist @ foxwaves . I've read all your notes and they are much appreciated. The 9-5 has been hard on me lately so my response has been delayed. But as a status update right now I am thinking that I won't be releasing these two recent tracks that I've posted "Be My Lover" and "Final Lies" together. I will probably just put Be My Lover out very soon as a single (as the track is now sounding better than ever!) and see if I could find a better match for Final Lies at a later time...

And @ Zyzygis I am sorry to hear that you've had trouble listening to the files I've attached to my posts. But I've noticed that I get much more plays here if I attach the song to the post rather than upload it on Soundcloud. I don't know what's up with that? Are the play counts misleading me?
Old 11th April 2019
  #6827
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by clump View Post
Love that, another great tune.

I like the fact that you give a nod to your influences yet retain a very individual sound, that's such a difficult balance to find.

May I ask what equipment you record with? I have a Tascam DP something or other, which I'm quite ham fisted with.......I've always been a bit of a luddite.
Of course...

Well..one accumulates a lot of things over the years, so I won't go through all of it, just the main stuff. All of it's cheapo or low mid-range - there's a lot of really good gear around now days for ludicrously low prices, and being in Yorkshire, one doesn't like to pay over th'odds. I do most stuff with the computers these days - I've got two little guitar amps (a Fender and a Marshall) but can never be bothered recording them to be honest - amp sims are very good these days!

Anyway - main hardware stuff (I won't list the software, could be here for hours...All I'll say is I'm a weirdo who does this kind of thing in FL Studio..);

A HP desktop and a laptop, both 2nd hand from around 2012/13 (4th and 3rd gen processors). Still very powerful machines - refurbished business computers. Got Behringer audio interfaces on both (UMC202HD on the laptop, and UMC204HD on the desktop) - which are stunning quality for the price, low noise and built like tanks. KRK monitors for both setups - the 5 inch ones downstairs and the little 4 inch ones up here. KRK seem to get a bit of stick online, but I love the sound of these and have totlal confidence mixing on them.

Acoustics - Mainly some Epiphone AJ*** 6 string electro-acoustic and a Gear4Music 12 string electro-acoustic, which is a marvellous guitar for £80 or so! Just also bought one of their acoustic basses, which is nice as well

Electrics - Most expensive thing I've got is a Line 6 Variax Standard modelling guitar- does the modelled electric stuff really well, banjos etc are fun, acoustics are ok in a mix, 12 string stuff is frankly rubbish. Actual !2 string electric is a cheap-ish Revelation one - very cool looking Jaguar body and nice sounding. I've also got their RJT60/B which is a bass VI - I love playing chords on bass so I had to have one!

Mics - I use a Sontronics STC-1 small condenser for acoustic guitars and a Rode Nt1 for vocals. I was using a some Behringer mics until recently and to be honest the difference in quality isn't that great - you can tell the new stuff on nice headphones etc, but the Behringer stuff is perfectly usable, and I did loads of recordings with them.

Enough rambling! Time for tea....
Old 11th April 2019
  #6828
Lives for gear
 
clump's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by donkey tugger View Post
Of course...

Well..one accumulates a lot of things over the years, so I won't go through all of it, just the main stuff. All of it's cheapo or low mid-range - there's a lot of really good gear around now days for ludicrously low prices, and being in Yorkshire, one doesn't like to pay over th'odds. I do most stuff with the computers these days - I've got two little guitar amps (a Fender and a Marshall) but can never be bothered recording them to be honest - amp sims are very good these days!

Anyway - main hardware stuff (I won't list the software, could be here for hours...All I'll say is I'm a weirdo who does this kind of thing in FL Studio..);

A HP desktop and a laptop, both 2nd hand from around 2012/13 (4th and 3rd gen processors). Still very powerful machines - refurbished business computers. Got Behringer audio interfaces on both (UMC202HD on the laptop, and UMC204HD on the desktop) - which are stunning quality for the price, low noise and built like tanks. KRK monitors for both setups - the 5 inch ones downstairs and the little 4 inch ones up here. KRK seem to get a bit of stick online, but I love the sound of these and have totlal confidence mixing on them.

Acoustics - Mainly some Epiphone AJ*** 6 string electro-acoustic and a Gear4Music 12 string electro-acoustic, which is a marvellous guitar for £80 or so! Just also bought one of their acoustic basses, which is nice as well

Electrics - Most expensive thing I've got is a Line 6 Variax Standard modelling guitar- does the modelled electric stuff really well, banjos etc are fun, acoustics are ok in a mix, 12 string stuff is frankly rubbish. Actual !2 string electric is a cheap-ish Revelation one - very cool looking Jaguar body and nice sounding. I've also got their RJT60/B which is a bass VI - I love playing chords on bass so I had to have one!

Mics - I use a Sontronics STC-1 small condenser for acoustic guitars and a Rode Nt1 for vocals. I was using a some Behringer mics until recently and to be honest the difference in quality isn't that great - you can tell the new stuff on nice headphones etc, but the Behringer stuff is perfectly usable, and I did loads of recordings with them.

Enough rambling! Time for tea....
A very thorough yet concise rundown......thank you very much
Old 11th April 2019
  #6829
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by jugetsu85 View Post
Hey man thanks for the input on the compressor, I'll have to think twice before pulling the trigger on that one then! And you are right about my location, shipping all the way to Finland is probably not the most viable option in this case :-) but thanks anyway!

And extra special shout out to all those who have commented on the song "Final Lies" and my other recent stuff @ LovesPizzaTime @ donkey tugger @ badmark @ wagtunes @ Zyzygis @ The Noodlist @ foxwaves . I've read all your notes and they are much appreciated. The 9-5 has been hard on me lately so my response has been delayed. But as a status update right now I am thinking that I won't be releasing these two recent tracks that I've posted "Be My Lover" and "Final Lies" together. I will probably just put Be My Lover out very soon as a single (as the track is now sounding better than ever!) and see if I could find a better match for Final Lies at a later time...

And @ Zyzygis I am sorry to hear that you've had trouble listening to the files I've attached to my posts. But I've noticed that I get much more plays here if I attach the song to the post rather than upload it on Soundcloud. I don't know what's up with that? Are the play counts misleading me?
If you feel like giving a hand built to order tube based optical comp a go, one that will not break the bank, contact Roman at RSE and tell him Kane sent ya!
Old 11th April 2019
  #6830
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxwaves View Post
Very enjoyable and well done! I liked the Byrds' 12-stringy jangle at the first and the sometimes grittiness in your voice was dead on for this song. My favorite part was the build up at about 2'28" that lead into that great ending. You and the other talented folks here both inspire me and make me think I should quit, haha. Great job on this song, as always!
Thank you sir, was a bit in two minds about the second half of it as it veers away a bit, but think it works overall...too late now!
Old 11th April 2019
  #6831
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjogo View Post
Very Byrdish ~#!! Having just been listening last week to their History -- brings back that unique sound -- thanks >. nice job
You mean the gatefold sleeve compilation I think..I bought that at a record fair in my teens (a long time ago now....). Beautiful album art, with the family tree and stuff, and of course classic music!

Last edited by donkey tugger; 11th April 2019 at 06:55 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old 11th April 2019
  #6832
Lives for gear
 
clump's Avatar
 

Continuing on Donkey T's theme of burning places down......It's too long I know, but.......

The Bouncing Hearts..THIS PLACE IN FLAMES by The Bouncing Hearts | Free Listening on SoundCloud
Old 11th April 2019
  #6833
Lives for gear
 
cjogo's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by donkey tugger View Post
You mean the gatefold sleeve compilation I think..I bought that at a record fair in my teens (a long time ago now....). Beautiful album art, with the family tree and stuff, and of course classic music!


This 17 piece story of the Boys >> on a U Tube

YouTube

Last edited by cjogo; 11th April 2019 at 09:44 PM..
Old 11th April 2019
  #6834
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Funk View Post
My latest tracking has been using the TPC-1, which is a tube pre and optical comp, with lots of tubes in the path. This is more for colour. I then go into the line in of the Safe Sound P1 to use the invisible compressor on that. I think it's quite a characterful front end. I may try my Buzz Ma2.2 going into the line in of the TPC-1 and then into the P1 and shee what that gives me.
Nice! I had never heard of that company, RSE. Their prices are pretty impressive! Hope they make the Vari-mu.
Old 12th April 2019
  #6835
Lives for gear
 
foxwaves's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by donkey tugger View Post
Thank you sir, was a bit in two minds about the second half of it as it veers away a bit, but think it works overall...too late now!
The pleasure was mine. I think the second half really made the song unique and is a real attention-grabber. I like songs that mix it up a little; deviate from the norm, in a good way, as did yours. I'm looking forward to hearing more of your tracks.
Old 12th April 2019
  #6836
Lives for gear
 
badmark's Avatar
I record everything straight to 2-track, because deciding to make studio set-up = planned live set-up sorted out a lot of problems for me in a lazy/dogme kind of way.

Old 12th April 2019
  #6837
Lives for gear
 
s wave's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by badmark View Post
I record everything straight to 2-track, because deciding to make studio set-up = planned live set-up sorted out a lot of problems for me in a lazy/dogme kind of way.

XXlent - good work I like it!
Old 12th April 2019
  #6838
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snail View Post
Nice! I had never heard of that company, RSE. Their prices are pretty impressive! Hope they make the Vari-mu.
I know the prototype of it is not too far from completion.
Old 12th April 2019
  #6839
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by badmark View Post
I record everything straight to 2-track, because deciding to make studio set-up = planned live set-up sorted out a lot of problems for me in a lazy/dogme kind of way.

It's like a beefy funk rock version of kraftwerk, especially with those vox. nice!
Old 13th April 2019
  #6840
Lives for gear
Got round to recording proper vocals for my track "Light". Drum programming needs some adjustments and I may change the snare as suggested by Z last time I posted it. I would like real bass and guitar but will settle for just guitar if I can commandeer a friend to play/record it for me. There is no tuning on the vocals and I may do a bit, but nothing drastic needed.

How is the mix? The vocals need any further EQ? Verb and delays ok etc? Light - Demo by KaneWilliams | Kane Williams | Free Listening on SoundCloud
📝 Reply
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear
Forum Jump
Forum Jump