The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Post your rough demos
Old 23rd March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Funk View Post
Just keep on serving up slices of Wag pie. Make the music you love. The last two have been great.
Thanks Kane. Appreciate the encouragement.

For those of you who might have missed any of my latest CD, here is a link to the whole playlist.

Untitled Masterpiece by Steven Wagenheim | Free Listening on SoundCloud

I just listened to it in its entirety. The middle of the CD some of the songs aren't as strong as they could be. But every song can't be a "hit." But the beginning and ends are really good. Overall, there is no question that this is the best collection of songs I've ever done. Shows you what 4 months of hard work can do. My days of taking the easy way out are gone. I couldn't go back to that if I wanted to.

I still have to work on lyrics. They're better but there's still room for improvement. My mixes are better but I still have problems, arrangement wise, with certain genres. Literally nobody liked the orchestration on "Could I See You Tonight." I was open to fixing it but I couldn't think of anything and suggestions weren't coming so I left it as is.

Losing My Mind (All Over You) is definitely being entered into the ASC in November. Probably my best vocal performance ever. I'm still not sure how I was even able to sing that.

Right now I'm taking a break and trying to get a feel for what's next. Honestly, I have no idea. I'm kind of burnt out right now. I can't recall ever working this hard on anything.

Anyway, thank you all for your support and kind words.

2019 is going to be a different year for me.
Old 23rd March 2019
Lives for gear

Kudzu Jungle

If I've posted this silly video before...sorry! It's another quickie song for a few years back. My then teenage daughter make a funny slideshow for it in about 20 minutes, haha.

YouTube

Since I wasn't sure of how to attach the video, the audio is below:
Attached Files

Kudzu Jungle.mp3 (4.84 MB, 313 views)

Old 24th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
If I've posted this silly video before...sorry! It's another quickie song for a few years back. My then teenage daughter make a funny slideshow for it in about 20 minutes, haha.
Whoa! You rock, foxwaves! Great vocals. And nice guitar work. You even paid homage to the Peter Gunn theme towards the end, which was very, very cool. For probably millions of us kids back in the day, that was the very first thing we learned on guitar. And the video slide show was an awful lot of fun. Kudzu Jungle! Love it!
Old 24th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxwaves View Post

YouTube

Since I wasn't sure of how to attach the video, the audio is below:
Rock on Fox

I'd like to hear you sing the dictionary. I bet it would still sound great.
Old 24th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle View Post
Whoa! You rock, foxwaves! Great vocals. And nice guitar work. You even paid homage to the Peter Gunn theme towards the end, which was very, very cool. For probably millions of us kids back in the day, that was the very first thing we learned on guitar. And the video slide show was an awful lot of fun. Kudzu Jungle! Love it!

Haha, thanks, Seattle. Apologies to Chuck Norris . Yes, a hint of the theme from Peter Gunn! I always liked that riff. I put in in another song one time...I'll have to hunt it up. Do you remember Duane Eddy's versions of the Peter Gunn theme? Here's a link to his later version:

YouTube

When I was a kid, the guitar songs in this area were Wildwood Flower, Wipeout and Johnny B. Goode . A lot of my songs have a smattering of music I liked. I guess that's common. Thanks again, Seattle !
Old 24th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagtunes View Post
Rock on Fox

I'd like to hear you sing the dictionary. I bet it would still sound great.
Thank you, Brother Wag!
Old 24th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Here's a link to his later version:
Fantastic! Love the bass in that one. And another fun video. Rik Mayall, RIP

And when it came to writing and arranging great music, Henry Mancini left quite a mark on the biz.
Old 24th March 2019
Gear Addict

Hi. This is an old song of mine that I re-recorded and finished mixing a couple of days ago.
I had two friends play the bass, and the solo at the end.
Any feedback is appreciated.

All the best.
Old 24th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zargg View Post
Hi. This is an old song of mine that I re-recorded and finished mixing a couple of days ago.

All the best.
Hello Zargg! This is a very dramatic song! The quieter parts sounds like something from a movie. There is an ominous feel to the song. I don't know enough about this type of music to say more other than I liked the vocals, the tight guitar solo and that I enjoyed it. Thanks for sharing!
Old 24th March 2019
Gear Addict

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxwaves View Post
Hello Zargg! This is a very dramatic song! The quieter parts sounds like something from a movie. There is an ominous feel to the song. I don't know enough about this type of music to say more other than I liked the vocals, the tight guitar solo and that I enjoyed it. Thanks for sharing!
Thanks a lot for the positive feedback, Foxwaves.
Means a lot
All the best.
Old 24th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:

All the best.
Well done, Zargg! So very intense! I'd very much like to read the lyrics. Nice contributions by your friends Bapu and Jyemz, and your vocals are very powerful. I was inspired to check out more of your songs. I thought they were all really good. La PooPoo struck me as being highly original and, like the others, very well executed.
Old 24th March 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Well done, Zargg! So very intense! I'd very much like to read the lyrics. Nice contributions by your friends Bapu and Jyemz, and your vocals are very powerful. I was inspired to check out more of your songs. I thought they were all really good. La PooPoo struck me as being highly original and, like the others, very well executed.
Thanks a lot for the positive feedback, Seattle
I'll upload the lyrics to Soundcloud, and report when done so.
La PooPoo is something else
All the best.
PS. I also do all the vocals on the BJZ and BBZ songs in my playlist, plus some guitars (if interested).

Last edited by Zargg; 24th March 2019 at 10:27 PM.. Reason: To add
Old 24th March 2019
Gear Addict

The lyrics for Stealing soul are now up at Soundcloud
Old 24th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
The lyrics for Stealing soul are now up at Soundcloud
Thanks for sharing the lyrics, Zargg. Very well done. There are some very nice turns of phrase in there. I see the message of the lyrics as open to an individual's interpretation, and that is very cool to me. To distill my own interpretation down to a handful of my words..."It's late, and freedom isn't what I thought it was. Damn. I'm not free after all. All I did was lose my soul."

Very cool song.
Old 24th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:

All the best.
Don't normally like listening to 7 minute songs but I figured I'd give this a shot.

Shades of Bowie from "The Man Who Sold The World" musically. Vocally, can't quite place it but does ring familiar.

Disturbing piece to say the least. But I guess that's better than being boring.

A bridge might help to break it up some as it does feel a little long with just verse chorus. The slow tempo is a contributing factor. The guitar solo towards the end does help.

All in all, an interesting listening experience.
Old 25th March 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Don't normally like listening to 7 minute songs but I figured I'd give this a shot.

Shades of Bowie from "The Man Who Sold The World" musically. Vocally, can't quite place it but does ring familiar.

Disturbing piece to say the least. But I guess that's better than being boring.

A bridge might help to break it up some as it does feel a little long with just verse chorus. The slow tempo is a contributing factor. The guitar solo towards the end does help.

All in all, an interesting listening experience.
Thanks for listening, and the positive and conctructive feedback
Disturbing is better than boring, IMO
All the best.
Old 25th March 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Thanks for sharing the lyrics, Zargg. Very well done. There are some very nice turns of phrase in there. I see the message of the lyrics as open to an individual's interpretation, and that is very cool to me. To distill my own interpretation down to a handful of my words..."It's late, and freedom isn't what I thought it was. Damn. I'm not free after all. All I did was lose my soul."

Very cool song.
Thanks
I try my best to leave lyrics open to interpretation, whenever I can
Old 25th March 2019
Gear Head
Quote:

All the best.
Christ, really liking this
Death metal meets Joy Division
Great that you don't fall into the trap of 'trying to sound heavier than everyone else!' - Can't fault it
Old 25th March 2019
Quote:

All the best.
Very good indeed!
A song which stays with me after hearing it is a rare thing but this got under my skin. Nice textures and deep lyrics and melody. Well done!
Old 25th March 2019

Another cover. This time it’s Bowie who I consider one of the best songwriters ever and someone who always inspires me.
I love this song although I don’t consider it one of his best lyrically but it has the most amazing sound which refuses to age.
I have stuck pretty close to the feel of the original so I guess it’s a homage really.
Not sure about the vocal yet, it’s another one which sounds simple but is quite difficult to sing convincingly. I will let it rest for a good while before I attempt to sing it again.
Anyway, this goes out to all the people here who have suffered such terrible loss and heartbreak and have somehow found the strength and courage to carry on and to Rachel, whose story is so moving and encouraging. You are the real heroes.
Old 25th March 2019
Lives for gear

UKE and E DRUMS -- tracked live -- a jam

Wrote some lyrics quickly _ sang a lead -- and BGV and added keyboard bass ..
Attached Files

9 .) NEED ME.mp3 (9.16 MB, 195 views)

Old 25th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyzygis View Post

Another cover. This time it’s Bowie who I consider one of the best songwriters ever and someone who always inspires me.
I love this song although I don’t consider it one of his best lyrically but it has the most amazing sound which refuses to age.
I have stuck pretty close to the feel of the original so I guess it’s a homage really.
Not sure about the vocal yet, it’s another one which sounds simple but is quite difficult to sing convincingly. I will let it rest for a good while before I attempt to sing it again.
Anyway, this goes out to all the people here who have suffered such terrible loss and heartbreak and have somehow found the strength and courage to carry on and to Rachel, whose story is so moving and encouraging. You are the real heroes.
Love the drums on this one. Which ones did you use and how did you process them? Especially love the snare.

Otherwise, I'd never attempt to sing this so kudos. Good job. Well done all around.

I've noticed in listening to a lot of your tracks that you mix on the hot side and there isn't a lot of air. Probably because you don't EQ a lot of low end out and don't use a lot of reverb. If you listen to Bowie's mix it's softer and has a ton more air to it. I have no idea how he even does that because I can't.

Anyway, well done. Enjoyed the listen.
Old 25th March 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by evangelista View Post
OK- this one's really rough. Just a structure, really. No melodies/lyrics yet - these will likely be worked on by all three members of a band I'm in.

In the interest of discussing process:

- I really like ZZ Top's "Just Got Paid". I wanted something kinda sorta like it. Listened to the song once as a refresher, aped the overall vibe/structure as quickly as I could, obviously not being too precious about it.

- I programmed the basic drum beat using samples I recorded years ago

- Put down the guitar track. I had the riff/verse/chorus ideas, but I improvised the middle section.

- Put down the bass.

- Put down the Juno "lead" (haha)

- Put in the crashes, did a few edits in the drums

- Did the little "mute/stutter" edits toward the end

The writing/demoing process, so far, is at about 45 minutes.

Feel free to chime in, I'd love to hear opinions about the process and the music.
That was great...except you had no vocalist to take it over the top.
Old 25th March 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumps View Post
Christ, really liking this
Death metal meets Joy Division
Great that you don't fall into the trap of 'trying to sound heavier than everyone else!' - Can't fault it
Thanks for the kind words and positive feedback
I have never heard anyone say "can't fault it" to a mix/song of mine before, so that warms an old'ish heart
All the best.

Last edited by Zargg; 25th March 2019 at 01:22 PM.. Reason: To add
Old 25th March 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Very good indeed!
A song which stays with me after hearing it is a rare thing but this got under my skin. Nice textures and deep lyrics and melody. Well done!
Thanks for the positive feedback
IMO very cool that the song stayed with you after listening to it
All the best.
Old 25th March 2019
Quote:
Love the drums on this one. Which ones did you use and how did you process them? Especially love the snare.

Otherwise, I'd never attempt to sing this so kudos. Good job. Well done all around.

I've noticed in listening to a lot of your tracks that you mix on the hot side and there isn't a lot of air. Probably because you don't EQ a lot of low end out and don't use a lot of reverb. If you listen to Bowie's mix it's softer and has a ton more air to it. I have no idea how he even does that because I can't.

Anyway, well done. Enjoyed the listen.
Thanks Wags.
The drums are just the ones which come with the iPad version of GarageBand which I layered and treated with eq and compression until I thought they sounded right.
You are probably right about the mix lacking air, I am very careful about adding too much top end and I might be being too cautious in this.
Same with cutting the bass. I tend to like to keep the lows.
I remember hearing that Bowie had a complicated set up for the vocals with three mic positions at increasing distance. The two further sets picking up the reverberations in the large space were gated so that louder singing would have increasing amounts of reverb.
Eventide released a reverb plug-in based on it. I never tried it but it looks interesting.
Old 25th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks Wags.
The drums are just the ones which come with the iPad version of GarageBand which I layered and treated with eq and compression until I thought they sounded right.
You are probably right about the mix lacking air, I am very careful about adding too much top end and I might be being too cautious in this.
Same with cutting the bass. I tend to like to keep the lows.
I remember hearing that Bowie had a complicated set up for the vocals with three mic positions at increasing distance. The two further sets picking up the reverberations in the large space were gated so that louder singing would have increasing amounts of reverb.
Eventide released a reverb plug-in based on it. I never tried it but it looks interesting.
Yeah, Bowie's production on this song was amazing. It was actually my favorite part of the whole song, that ambiance that he created. I'm sure a lot of work went into it.
Old 25th March 2019
Quote:
Yeah, Bowie's production on this song was amazing. It was actually my favorite part of the whole song, that ambiance that he created. I'm sure a lot of work went into it.
It was Tony Visconti who was responsible for the Heroes vocal production if I remember correctly.
I have an idea to try and get something similar in my version. I will repost if it works.
Old 25th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
It was Tony Visconti who was responsible for the Heroes vocal production if I remember correctly.
I have an idea to try and get something similar in my version. I will repost if it works.
Well Tony Visconti was a genius. The list of stuff he's done would fill up a room the size of Carnegie Hall. Take a look at his credits through the years. You'd be surprised at some of the stuff he's done.
Old 25th March 2019
Lives for gear

Some of my favorite Tony Visconti productions that a lot of people may not be aware of.

Maybe Tomorrow - The Iveys (later became Badfinger)
Magic Christian Music - Badfinger
Indiscreet - Sparks
Grave New World - The Strawbs
The Other Side Of Life - Moody Blues

And of course there's all the stuff that's very well known.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear