The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Post your rough demos Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagtunes View Post
@Zyzygis

I guess I should thank you.

So I sat down and said to myself, "Steve, if ever in your life you just truly sat down to write something and were totally yourself, do it now."

And that's what I did. No trying to be another group or genre or anything. No trying to write a hit record, though I think maybe in another time period this would have gone viral. Now, it just blends in with all the other stupidity in the world. But FWIW, this is me. No pretense. Nothing contrived. I sat down and played and this is what came out.

Mixing this was a bitch as there's so much going on in it. I don't think I've ever done so much EQing in my life.

I honestly have no idea how you'll feel about this but I realized after finishing it that it doesn't matter. I don't remember the last time I had this much fun. This is a song I'm not ashamed to play for anybody.

Anyway, here it is. 14th track from my CD "Untitled Masterpiece"

Pig On The Dash

Driving in my car I'm getting a yen
Not for a goat not for a hen
Don't want a nut and don't want a fig
What I want's a pig

Pig on the dash (Where are you pig)
Pig on the dash
Pig on the dash (I want pig)
Pig on the dash (Fat pig)

I want a ham sandwich
I don't want a Manwich
Gimme gimme bacon
No I'm not a fakin

Oink, oink
Oink, oink (I see you pig)
Oink, oink (Come here you little fat thing you)
Oink, oink

Repeat Chorus

I want a nice pork roll
Put it in a big bowl
Wash it down with Taylor ham
Either one don't give a damn

Repeat Pre Chorus and Chorus

I should not be ridiculed
I will not be overruled
You will listen to me whine
What I want's a big fat swine

Instrumental Break

Pre heat oven to 350 degrees
Baste well
Oh, we're going to eat good enough
(Laughter)
Come here pig

Repeat Pre Chorus and Chorus

I want pig
Give me pig
I love pig
Yeah pig

That’s hilarious!
I love that I can hear you having a great time with this and there are some excellent things going on music wise.
It is definitely a bit unhinged, which makes sense, but it has a confidence which carries it across well.
I would mix the spoken word parts a little lower, but that’s a taste thing and I can see why you might want it to jarr a bit.
I hope that this is going to be a trend for you and that you see this as a start of a new journey for you.
I would advise you to allow yourself to write from the heart more as well, allow yourself to be sensitive as well as angry or funny, use all the colours and be personal too sometimes.
I think you are finally coming out of your closet!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyzygis View Post
That’s hilarious!
I love that I can hear you having a great time with this and there are some excellent things going on music wise.
It is definitely a bit unhinged, which makes sense, but it has a confidence which carries it across well.
I would mix the spoken word parts a little lower, but that’s a taste thing and I can see why you might want it to jarr a bit.
I hope that this is going to be a trend for you and that you see this as a start of a new journey for you.
I would advise you to allow yourself to write from the heart more as well, allow yourself to be sensitive as well as angry or funny, use all the colours and be personal too sometimes.
I think you are finally coming out of your closet!
Thanks Z. Yeah, I wanted the spoken parts to be the highlight of the song as they're freaking hysterical. I think mixed down it wouldn't have had the same effect.

Yeah, I think I've turned a corner this week. I'm done trying to be <fill in the blank>. I'll write what I write regardless of whether it's funny, sad, angry or whatever. And if I don't feel like writing, I won't write. Actually, I've started down that path since starting this CD as it's now March and I began this CD in November. Working this long on one CD is something I've never done before.

I have no idea what lies ahead nor do I care. If I'm not having fun doing whatever it is I'm doing, then I'm not doing it. It's that simple.

Anyway, glad you got a chuckle out of this one.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Noodlist View Post
Had trouble with inspiration and completing tracks, here's a loop that I recorded, might sound a bit too similar to something you've heard before.

Though I'd better try contribute to the thread, however small.
Oh man, you are one hell of a great blues guitar player. I just wish you could team up with other great players and make some great music. You need people who can help to get your playing heard.
I am traveling at the moment and, as you know, I won’t have anywhere to set up my studio for a while, I just moved my mother to another country to be with family who will help support her as I am not coping well on my own. When I am finally back in my own home I will definitely be asking for some guitar from you if you are interested.
Meanwhile I suggest you could just play guitar like you do and maybe add some minimal backing perhaps even without drums, just let the guitar sing for however long it wants and make that the song?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyzygis View Post
Oh man, you are one hell of a great blues guitar player. I just wish you could team up with other great players and make some great music. You need people who can help to get your playing heard.
I am traveling at the moment and, as you know, I won’t have anywhere to set up my studio for a while, I just moved my mother to another country to be with family who will help support her as I am not coping well on my own. When I am finally back in my own home I will definitely be asking for some guitar from you if you are interested.
Meanwhile I suggest you could just play guitar like you do and maybe add some minimal backing perhaps even without drums, just let the guitar sing for however long it wants and make that the song?
Thanks for your kind words, I hope your situation improves.
I think it boils down to too many hats, instead of just playing. It's time to re-evaluate, stop the gear lust and do more practical stuff.
You can have guitar from me anytime.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict
Quote:
@Zyzygis

I guess I should thank you.

So I sat down and said to myself, "Steve, if ever in your life you just truly sat down to write something and were totally yourself, do it now."

And that's what I did.

I think you may have found your niche.

This is disturbing, but in a good way. The music is interesting. And, in line with what you were saying, it doesn't sound like anything else or that it's trying to be anything else. Maybe it makes me think a bit of Weird Al Yankovich.

It strikes me as similar to the robot song in that it has a weird, almost eery vibe.

Have you considered collaborating with other musicians so that you could get some real guitar, bass, backing vocals, etc? I haven't followed your decades-long progression as a songwriter, but it seems like you're actually writing stuff that is distinctively you now.

I think what's holding the tracks back now is production issues: like better (or real) instruments/performances, better mixes, etc, and if you try to do all that yourself, that's another 5-10 year journey minimum IMHO. (As someone who has tried to teach himself to mix on the side for the past 10 years, and is still pretty terrible at it.) Just a thought.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snail View Post
I think you may have found your niche.

This is disturbing, but in a good way. The music is interesting. And, in line with what you were saying, it doesn't sound like anything else or that it's trying to be anything else. Maybe it makes me think a bit of Weird Al Yankovich.

It strikes me as similar to the robot song in that it has a weird, almost eery vibe.

Have you considered collaborating with other musicians so that you could get some real guitar, bass, backing vocals, etc? I haven't followed your decades-long progression as a songwriter, but it seems like you're actually writing stuff that is distinctively you now.

I think what's holding the tracks back now is production issues: like better (or real) instruments/performances, better mixes, etc, and if you try to do all that yourself, that's another 5-10 year journey minimum IMHO. (As someone who has tried to teach himself to mix on the side for the past 10 years, and is still pretty terrible at it.) Just a thought.
Here is the reality of collaborating. As I am a nobody in this business, anybody who would be willing to collaborate with me isn't going to be any better at this than I am. Somebody really good is going to want to work with somebody really good. So two fair to okay musicians, producers, whatever, aren't going to come up with anything any better than what I'm doing now.

In addition to that, it's pretty obvious that I don't play well with others.

No, I'm content doing what I'm doing. It's fun and it's relaxing and I don't have to worry about anybody else but me.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict
Quote:
Here is the reality of collaborating. As I am a nobody in this business, anybody who would be willing to collaborate with me isn't going to be any better at this than I am. Somebody really good is going to want to work with somebody really good. So two fair to okay musicians, producers, whatever, aren't going to come up with anything any better than what I'm doing now.

In addition to that, it's pretty obvious that I don't play well with others.

No, I'm content doing what I'm doing. It's fun and it's relaxing and I don't have to worry about anybody else but me.
Okay, it was just a thought. Getting along is kind of the sine-qua-non of collaborating, so I totally get it if it's not for you.

It's certainly can't be taken as truth, though, at least as a blanket statement, that a few okay musicians can't do any better working with you than you working by yourself.

An okay drummer, bassist, guitarist, singer, mixing engineer, etc working together will definitely improve things rather than one of them trying to everything by him/herself -- that's just common sense. I'm impressed by the talent of the people who post in this thread, most of whom do everything by themselves, but let's face it -- we can't all be good at everything. Plus there's the back and forth and sharing of ideas which leads to new discoveries and faster growth.

Anyway, I'm not sure you're so bad at playing with others as you claim -- you certainly like to engage here, you like the back and forth, you like the sharing of ideas and songs, and you don't mind taking constructive criticism. From what I can tell, you're basically doing a form of collaboration already, just not in the form of tracks.

But I'm biased, since from the get-go I've loved to collaborate on song-writing and recording, and have had the most fun when I've done so.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Music that makes me want to listen, always exciting with depth, dynamics, clarity, layers, creativeness and the occasional twist.

Ear Candy.
Been consciously trying to reign in some of the worst excesses of effects/layering/automation recently and go for a more direct sound. Not on this though...
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by clump View Post
Reminds me of The Only Ones, but better.
Cheers! I can see that a bit now you mention it. I was originally trying to go for that late 80s/early 90s House of Love sound (in the verse picking and the wah wah), but it ended up a bit too poppy for that. You never know how things will turn out...
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by donkey tugger View Post
You never know how things will turn out...
That’s the best part!
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Had trouble with inspiration and completing tracks, here's a loop that I recorded, might sound a bit too similar to something you've heard before.

This is a cool little track, could be a nice jumping off point. I also have a big problem with actually finishing tracks, so some times I'll do what you've done here and just play around over loops. Here's one with some truly off guitar playing: Bom Bom BOM! by Sph 3 | Free Listening on SoundCloud
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennybro View Post
Dropping an odd tune here. Don't know from where this came. My buddy has a very deep voice. I sang the bridge and the call answers at the end.

Notes: Basic tracks recorded with ProTools, Matrix 2, LA2A, 1176's. Drums are newer DW kit. Acoustic is D18. E guitars are an Asian Lotus 335 and Blues Junior. Bass is some Ibanez thing, direct. All key strings Nord.
All vocals and harmonica recorded at a different studio with U87, Grace 501 and an ART VLA.
Cool, I enjoyed it, currently doing listening stuff through built-in HP monitor speakers.
Need to setup proper monitor speakers.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Please let Herr Weiss post again

I ask the moderators to please restore Herr Weiss's posting privileges in this thread. Multiple commentators were involved in discussions that were going OT and were often vitriolic. Herr Weiss was one of them, sure, but there were others, and recently I jumped in there, too. Things have cooled off. Herr Weiss has been in the penalty box long enough. Since the beginning of this thread, Herr Weiss has consistently been making invaluable contributions to others when commenting on their music. I believe the right thing is to let him do so again. Please restore his posting privileges.

Thank you.

PM sent to thread moderators.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jugetsu85 View Post
Here is a rough demo of a new Fo27 song that I am working on.
I hang out and post here very seldom; not one of the regular crew. Last day or two I've been nosing around a few pages back, and came across this.

Opinion? I think it sounds very good, indeed. Your vocals convey emotion and are well performed. They could be front and center a bit more (I want to hear them!), the featured aspect while present. A bit more depth, mid lows, bottom end in the vocal.

Any production notes? Drums sound programmed, and are very well-done, if so. Are the guitars direct through a sim of some sort, or amp and mic? Bass? is it mic/amp or direct? Any outboard involved, or DAW and plugs?

I don't think you should change the approach. This will grab anyone who like this genre. If you feel a need to polish, maybe think a little deeper into the background instrumental music arrangement a bit, and add a touch of subtle complexity. It's just a bit too foundational and basic (a great basis to build upon). Needs some heat of ear candy somewhere; something unexpected and surprising; something human and aesthetic. Not too much. The foundation is here and solid. The element of surprise is always just a slight creative twist, not a smack in the head.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Cool, I enjoyed it, currently doing listening stuff through built-in HP monitor speakers.
Need to setup proper monitor speakers.
Thanks Noodlist. Appreciated!

Some weird things going on here, where a tune plays 3/4 way through, and then jumps back to some previous point.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

Cool groove. Get some Motownish vocals on that sucker!
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Hey @kennybro thanks for your notes. Very much appreciated. Happy you are feeling it!

For this demo Ive used only amp sims and the drums are written / programmed by me using Superior Drummer 3 & Metal Foundry add-on.

Guitar: Ibanex APEX200 7 string tuned down half step
Bass: Squier Jaguar Bass fitted with .130 B string set tuned half step down
Amp sim DI gtr/bass: Amplitube 4, Peavey 5150 amp model (I own the real deal as well), Engl xxl pro cab 4x12 cab sim and M160 mic model.

For bass gtr the amp sim is an Amplitube 4 vanilla bass amp into a Fender 810 pro cab sim miced with a vintage dynamic mic emulation.

For the final version I will experiment with micing up my real 6505 amp head into my own 2x12 Marshall cab. If it sounds better Ill use that instead. If it doesn't sound better it is due to the cab not being that great.

The drums for the final version will probably be played by my drummer pal on his top of the food chain Roland edrums. The final drum tones will probably come from the SD3 kit that Ive created to my tastes.

The bass will probably be kept DId into Amplitube.

Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

The real deal

Inspired by @kennybro 's questions regarding my gear I just did a quick tracking session and wanted to share with you how my 6505 head sounds through the 2x12 Marshall cab captured by a SM57 and with some basic mixing applied .. first riff and verse only. This little 2x12 cab doesn't sound nearly as heavy as the Engl cab IR. I should do more experimenting with positioning the mic though.. but I gotta say that the response of the amp itself is quite realistic in Amplitube IMHO.
Attached Thumbnails
Post your rough demos-20190314_183040.jpg  
Attached Files
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Here's me on drums and singing lead along with our church choir doing Mary McDonald's "We Are America" this past Veteran's Day.

Just thought I'd share this.

Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Here's me on drums and singing lead along with our church choir doing Mary McDonald's "We Are America" this past Veteran's Day.

I kept waiting for your solo...
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxwaves View Post
I kept waiting for your solo...
That's me singing at the beginning.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Oops!
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

I completely forgot about this. It was originally an epilogue for the original video for 'Lift These Chains', which was about the Syria crisis and was called Syria SOS. Starting with peaceful protests, it quickly descended into unimaginable violence. People were dying in that video. Awful stuff. The Syria SOS video had an epilogue that concerned the resulting Syrian refugee crisis. Here I had taken that epilogue and turned it into a stand-alone music video. When it looked like icansingforreal was on board for vocals, I redid the Syria SOS video to instead be about the protests that were going on around the world. I post this because I had earlier talked to Wag about how synth strings can sound more realistic using a breath controller and if you don't try to do too much with the strings. In this I also transition mid-point from the synth used in Lift These Chains to strings, another technique I shared with Wag. Classical guitar and oud duet, with strings.

Last edited by Seattle; 1 week ago at 01:34 AM..
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
That's me singing at the beginning.
Drum solo!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxwaves View Post
Drum solo!
We don't do drum solos in church. lol
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:

I think you are sounding very good here!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jugetsu85 View Post
I think you are sounding very good here!
Thanks for the listen.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Quote:

Obviously, as a committed atheist and internationalist socialist I despise you...

That aside, kudos for having the wherewithal to do this. Been many years since I played live, especially the drums..would probably be petrified now (and ****..) so respect! I think there is great pleasure to be had from any kind of communal singing, very therapeutic, even if it's just along to the radio at work for a laugh. Takes you out of yourself, as I'm sure you know!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by donkey tugger View Post
Obviously, as a committed atheist and internationalist socialist I despise you...

That aside, kudos for having the wherewithal to do this. Been many years since I played live, especially the drums..would probably be petrified now (and ****..) so respect! I think there is great pleasure to be had from any kind of communal singing, very therapeutic, even if it's just along to the radio at work for a laugh. Takes you out of yourself, as I'm sure you know!
Trust me, I was nervous. But I played through it. Ultimately, it was a lot of fun. I play drums pretty regularly now so it's becoming more second nature.

Thanks for the listen DT.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
OK, so I've recorded the real vocals now for my track "One way Street". I've altered the arrangement slightly. My musical know it all friend told me that I'd used some major harmonies in the minor track and that that doesn't work for him and I'm sure he's right as if I quantise lots of the vocals to B Min (in various scales) things do move about and sound weird to me, so I'm currently sticking to what i have as I think they sound ok. What do you guys think?

I hope to either replace the plucked guitar (actually a Clav) with real acoustic guitar or I may replace it with kalimba in the verses? Although since adding more delay and verb it's not so bad now.

One Way Street - demo by KaneWilliams | Kane Williams | Free Listening on SoundCloud

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search