The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Post your rough demos Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 1 week ago
  #6151
Lives for gear
 
Zyzygis's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagtunes View Post
Don't appreciate the subtle dig about my intelligence. I thought we were going to stay out or each other's way. You could have made your comment about identifying the chorus without dragging my name into it. I don't appreciate being made to feel like an idiot.
Well no one can MAKE you feel anything but if you feel like an idiot....?
Old 1 week ago
  #6152
Lives for gear
 
wagtunes's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyzygis View Post
Well no one can MAKE you feel anything but if you feel like an idiot....?
So just so I understand the rules. I'm supposed to stay out of your way and pretend that you don't exist but I'm fair game for you.

Gotcha! Just wanted to make sure we were on the same page.
Old 1 week ago
  #6153
Lives for gear
 
Zyzygis's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagtunes View Post
So just so I understand the rules. I'm supposed to stay out of your way and pretend that you don't exist but I'm fair game for you.

Gotcha! Just wanted to make sure we were on the same page.
Here you are playing the victim card again.
The problem you have is that whatever you perceive is so intensely coloured by your state of mind that you see any disagreement as an attack on your character.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagtunes View Post
Don't appreciate the subtle dig about my intelligence. I thought we were going to stay out or each other's way. You could have made your comment about identifying the chorus without dragging my name into it. I don't appreciate being made to feel like an idiot..
So me saying I don't know what you mean about not knowing when that chorus kicks in becomes in your twisted view an attack on your intelligence.
As someone said a few pages back,this is in danger of becoming the Wagtunes therapy thread.
The emotional issues you have in dealing with others are best dealt with in therapy with trained practitioners and not in this forum where you are going to be triggered by the differing opinions of others and which lead you to poisoning the thread with personal attacks and name calling.
Old 1 week ago
  #6154
Lives for gear
 
wagtunes's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyzygis View Post
Here you are playing the victim card again.
The problem you have is that whatever you perceive is so intensely coloured by your state of mind that you see any disagreement as an attack on your character.



So me saying I don't know what you mean about not knowing when that chorus kicks in becomes in your twisted view an attack on your intelligence.
As someone said a few pages back,this is in danger of becoming the Wagtunes therapy thread.
The emotional issues you have in dealing with others are best dealt with in therapy with trained practitioners and not in this forum where you are going to be triggered by the differing opinions of others and which lead you to poisoning the thread with personal attacks and name calling.
Bottom Line: There was no reason for you to bring up my name. I don't bring up yours, per our agreement. I just expect you to honor your end of it.

End of discussion.
Old 1 week ago
  #6155
Lives for gear
 
Zyzygis's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagtunes View Post
Bottom Line: There was no reason for you to bring up my name. I don't bring up yours, per our agreement. I just expect you to honor your end of it.

End of discussion.
Handbags at dawn Wag?
ROFL
Old 1 week ago
  #6156
Lives for gear
 
wagtunes's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyzygis View Post
Handbags at dawn Wag?
ROFL
Old 1 week ago
  #6157
Lives for gear
 
wagtunes's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YourBestFriend View Post
I shneed opinions
Vocals much better pitched than the last time I listened.

Track 1 could probably use closer mic placement to the vocal and back off some on the guitar as some of the vocals were covered by the guitar. Part of that was due to you singing softer in some sections combined with the lack of EQ on the guitar. There are some overlapping frequencies between guitar and vocal. Tracks 2 and 3 were better recorded.

I have no comments on the songs themselves. Hopefully others will.
Old 1 week ago
  #6158
Gear Maniac
 
jugetsu85's Avatar
Found Her

Hey guys, I've been producing and mixing the next Fo27 release. A few days ago I got the drum tracks from my trusted drummer partner and this is where I am at right now with the production. I will be officially releasing this later this month so I would be very thankful for any notes on the production, this song is very important to me personally so I want it to shine.
Attached Files

FOUNDER HER REMIX 10022019.mp3 (8.85 MB, 438 views)

Old 1 week ago
  #6159
Lives for gear
 
wagtunes's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jugetsu85 View Post
Hey guys, I've been producing and mixing the next Fo27 release. A few days ago I got the drum tracks from my trusted drummer partner and this is where I am at right now with the production. I will be officially releasing this later this month so I would be very thankful for any notes on the production, this song is very important to me personally so I want it to shine.
** Disclaimer ** This is just my opinion so take it with a very small grain of salt.

I think it sounds fine. It's a hard rocker (bordering on metal) and the production fits it. At this stage, anything anybody criticizes, IMO, is just nit picking. Nothing stands out as being out of place, bad or even close to not sounding like a finished track. If I was forced to pick out one thing to criticize, the kick drum doesn't cut through. In fact, I can't hear it. Is there one on this track? If so, you probably want to check the EQ between the kick, bass and low end of guitars. There is probably a lot of overlap there (masking). If you have something like Neutron, it will be easy enough to spot the conflicting frequencies.

Otherwise, sounds good to me.
Old 1 week ago
  #6160
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jugetsu85 View Post
Hey guys, I've been producing and mixing the next Fo27 release. A few days ago I got the drum tracks from my trusted drummer partner and this is where I am at right now with the production. I will be officially releasing this later this month so I would be very thankful for any notes on the production, this song is very important to me personally so I want it to shine.
Excellent song, great guitar sound and good, committed vocal. Like Wags I'm not hearing much of the kick. I know the modern rock sound is a lot more emphasis on the 'clicky' beater sound, but you also need some of that 60hz , err, ''douf' to back it up otherwise you're missing a lot of that propulsive element. Maybe just go back and have a listen to drums and and bass together on their own and rebalance things a little bit. It's not a million miles away, but lacking that punch in the low end at present.
Old 1 week ago
  #6161
Lives for gear
 
wagtunes's Avatar
 

10th track from my upcoming CD "Untitled Masterpiece"

My thoughts on this one?

A little cheesy but clever in parts. Mix a little on the bright side. Probably could have used a little more low end. One of my better vocals, I thought. Sang with a little gravel in my voice. My biggest complaint is the toll on my CPU that forced me to cut back on the arrangement a lot. I wanted to do more but couldn't. That might have been a blessing as this was already getting pretty dense. Lots of EQ in this to get things to "glue" together.

All in all, decent but missing that something to bring it to the next level.

Peace Of Mind

You got your fame...you got your money
You got your car and your sweet little honey
And you've got troubles up to here

You got your drums...you got your saxes
You got your debt and your million bucks in taxes
And you've got death a comin' near

Headaches yeah you got a lot
Spit galore without a pot
Only thing that you ain't got
Lemme, lemme, lemme hear it

Peace of mind when the daily grind is over
Peace of mind when the audience goes home
You can wish on a lucky four leaf clover
You can wish to just be left alone
Peace of mind it eludes me like the lottery
Peace of mind it's as rare as fish that fly
You can tell that it's all a lot of crockery
Peace of mind you'll have it when you die
Right now all I want's my peace of mind

Repeat



** EDIT ** I remixed it and brought the bass up a bit.
Old 1 week ago
  #6162
Hey all! Its been a minute, eh? Unfortunately, my life hasnt been flush with writing and recording lately. Im still playing with my 90's cover band so there is still music being made!

I had time this weekend to get back at it and write and record. The irony is that one of the guitar players in my band has my guitar, which is my main writing tool, so that forced me to go all electronic this weekend. It been really damn fun and interesting to get out of my comfort zone.

My ears are pretty fried at this point so I would love some feedback on this new little adventure. Thanks for listening!

Old 1 week ago
  #6163
Lives for gear
 
foxwaves's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagtunes View Post
10th track from my upcoming CD "Untitled Masterpiece"

My thoughts on this one?

A little cheesy but clever in parts. Mix a little on the bright side. Probably could have used a little more low end. One of my better vocals, I thought. Sang with a little gravel in my voice. My biggest complaint is the toll on my CPU that forced me to cut back on the arrangement a lot. I wanted to do more but couldn't. That might have been a blessing as this was already getting pretty dense. Lots of EQ in this to get things to "glue" together.

All in all, decent but missing that something to bring it to the next level.

Peace Of Mind

You got your fame...you got your money
You got your car and your sweet little honey
And you've got troubles up to here

You got your drums...you got your saxes
You got your debt and your million bucks in taxes
And you've got death a comin' near

Headaches yeah you got a lot
Spit galore without a pot
Only thing that you ain't got
Lemme, lemme, lemme hear it

Peace of mind when the daily grind is over
Peace of mind when the audience goes home
You can wish on a lucky four leaf clover
You can wish to just be left alone
Peace of mind it eludes me like the lottery
Peace of mind it's as rare as fish that fly
You can tell that it's all a lot of crockery
Peace of mind you'll have it when you die
Right now all I want's my peace of mind

Repeat



** EDIT ** I remixed it and brought the bass up a bit.

Hey Bro Wag! This is not my genre so...what do I know? But it does seem to be lacking in the bottom end. Also, be careful singing with a little gravel in your mouth! haha
Old 1 week ago
  #6164
Lives for gear
 
wagtunes's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxwaves View Post
Hey Bro Wag! This is not my genre so...what do I know? But it does seem to be lacking in the bottom end. Also, be careful singing with a little gravel in your mouth! haha
The remix probably didn't populate to the site yet because one guy said there's now too much bass.

Anyway, I'm just going to pack this one in. Somehow I guess I messed it up and don't know how to fix it so time to move on.

Stuff happens.
Old 1 week ago
  #6165
Lives for gear
Ok, so following on from some of the advice I got here I have tightened the kick and snare a bit, but I actually liked the sound of them personally, so I may or may not try some that are more tight. I added a new element to the instrumental section but I kept it sparse as I like it that way.

I added a pad (2 layered together actually) to the chorus and I think it works. Took me a while to get it to sound decent. I changed the chord progression slightly in the chorus too, which in turn made me alter the melody a little. However, when i come to record the vocals properly (they still sound terrible at the moment), the melody and accompanying harmonies may be change a little more?

I intend to add some triangle and possible one other element to the verse arrangement. I may at some point do a Reggie inspired version of this track as I can hear it in my head so much!

One Way Street by KaneWilliams | Kane Williams | Free Listening on SoundCloud
Old 1 week ago
  #6166
Lives for gear
 
wagtunes's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Funk View Post
Ok, so following on from some of the advice I got here I have tightened the kick and snare a bit, but I actually liked the sound of them personally, so I may or may not try some that are more tight. I added a new element to the instrumental section but I kept it sparse as I like it that way.

I added a pad (2 layered together actually) to the chorus and I think it works. Took me a while to get it to sound decent. I changed the chord progression slightly in the chorus too, which in turn made me alter the melody a little. However, when i come to record the vocals properly (they still sound terrible at the moment), the melody and accompanying harmonies may be change a little more?

I intend to add some triangle and possible one other element to the verse arrangement. I may at some point do a Reggie inspired version of this track as I can hear it in my head so much!

One Way Street by KaneWilliams | Kane Williams | Free Listening on SoundCloud
Wanted to give you the courtesy of a listen though I don't really know what I can add at this point.

I will say this. I love the way you sing. What I wouldn't give to be able to sing like you. And of course, your groove. You're born with that. When I was a kid back in the 60s and 70s, that's what we'd call "cool." I absolutely think you could have had a career, even if a modest one, back then. Especially in the late 70s.

I like how laid back this one is and yet isn't dull. If I tried to pull this off, I'd put everybody to sleep. I find it odd that you don't like the vocals. I think they're the best part of the song.

As far as improving this, I don't know. The genre is so far removed from my personal skills that I don't know if there's anything "missing" from it. So I can't really be any help here. I just know I like it. Ultimately, I think that's all the casual listener cares about. Don't you agree?
Old 1 week ago
  #6167
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by wagtunes View Post
Wanted to give you the courtesy of a listen though I don't really know what I can add at this point.

I will say this. I love the way you sing. What I wouldn't give to be able to sing like you. And of course, your groove. You're born with that. When I was a kid back in the 60s and 70s, that's what we'd call "cool." I absolutely think you could have had a career, even if a modest one, back then. Especially in the late 70s.

I like how laid back this one is and yet isn't dull. If I tried to pull this off, I'd put everybody to sleep. I find it odd that you don't like the vocals. I think they're the best part of the song.

As far as improving this, I don't know. The genre is so far removed from my personal skills that I don't know if there's anything "missing" from it. So I can't really be any help here. I just know I like it. Ultimately, I think that's all the casual listener cares about. Don't you agree?
Cheers Wag

Glad to hear that it doesn't put you to sleep, as after working on for a while on tracks like this that are slow and sparse, you can start to think "is this just boring"?

I don't think the vocal is bad, it's just badly recorded, loads of mains noise, two VERY different sounding mics (helped with some quick EQ) and I had a cold and was sat at work, so a bit self conscious etc.

When i record them for real, they will be better for sure.
Old 1 week ago
  #6168
Gear Maniac
 
jugetsu85's Avatar
Thanks @wagtunes @donkey tugger and @YourBestFriend for the excellent notes. I will do further work on the production and try to rectify shortcomings in the mix. It is clear that the kick drum needs more punch, funny how it always seems so hard for me to get it right. I keep trying different ways to treat (compress & EQ) the kick but often end up with nothing but a headache.
Old 1 week ago
  #6169
Gear Maniac
 
jugetsu85's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlcoholByVolume View Post
Hey all! Its been a minute, eh? Unfortunately, my life hasnt been flush with writing and recording lately. Im still playing with my 90's cover band so there is still music being made!

I had time this weekend to get back at it and write and record. The irony is that one of the guitar players in my band has my guitar, which is my main writing tool, so that forced me to go all electronic this weekend. It been really damn fun and interesting to get out of my comfort zone.

My ears are pretty fried at this point so I would love some feedback on this new little adventure. Thanks for listening!

Not bad man, not bad at all! You definitely have a good thing going with this track.
Old 1 week ago
  #6170
Lives for gear
 
wagtunes's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jugetsu85 View Post
Thanks @wagtunes @donkey tugger and @YourBestFriend for the excellent notes. I will do further work on the production and try to rectify shortcomings in the mix. It is clear that the kick drum needs more punch, funny how it always seems so hard for me to get it right. I keep trying different ways to treat (compress & EQ) the kick but often end up with nothing but a headache.
If you want to send me the stems, I can do a quick mix, post it, and then explain what I did. Once you learn how to mix drums and bass, you'll be fine. Trust me, it's probably just a matter of the bass and guitar frequencies masking your kick, thus blocking it out. Sometimes it's really that simple.
Old 1 week ago
  #6171
Gear Maniac
 
jugetsu85's Avatar
Thanks @wagtunes I appreciate the offer.

But I think the issue that I have with the kick drum is that I dont have a clear vision of how I want it to sound and I guess that would mean that I am the only person in the world who can fix this issue.

Some of my past mixes have been too bass heavy with the kick and the bass gtr having too much dominance over everything. Now it seems that I am being too careful with the weight of the kick drum and I have produced a bd tone with that has a lot of beater click but it lacks weight. I just recently bought a small Genelec subwoofer to help me better evaluate the low end of my mixes but it takes time to adjust even with room correction.

So I took a look at the kick mix last night again and after tinkering with it a while I decided to pull the bass drum mix from this song that I produced/mixed not a long time ago:

YouTube

The kick tone sounded promising, but I still need to work on defining a vision of how I want the kick drum to sound in the context of my music. Luckily this is not a big issue as I am used to doing a lot of drum sound replacing by the means of extracting midi from drum tracks (audio files) so I get to really sculpt the drum tones to my liking even when I am working with a human drummer. Such is the power of the modern DAW.
Old 1 week ago
  #6172
Lives for gear
 
Zyzygis's Avatar
 



Another cover. Not happy with the vocal yet, it’s harder to sing than it might seem, lots of subtle melodic inflection.
Rough mix so any thoughts are welcome.
Old 1 week ago
  #6173
Gear Maniac
 
jugetsu85's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyzygis View Post


Another cover. Not happy with the vocal yet, it’s harder to sing than it might seem, lots of subtle melodic inflection.
Rough mix so any thoughts are welcome.
Just listening to it on cheap earbuds and I like it! The overall tone and colour of the track is retro and analogue sounding. I would assume that is the intention. Is there some particular trick to the retro sound, like a specific mic or a plugin?
Old 6 days ago
  #6174
Lives for gear
 
clump's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyzygis View Post


Another cover. Not happy with the vocal yet, it’s harder to sing than it might seem, lots of subtle melodic inflection.
Rough mix so any thoughts are welcome.
Wow, really like that......The instrumentation, and arrangement, is brilliant....I like the close vocal too, the double tracked parts work well, as do the 'child like' harmony parts. brilliant. A lot of UK TV ads are going for covers like this right now.
Old 6 days ago
  #6175
Lives for gear
 
Zyzygis's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jugetsu85 View Post
Just listening to it on cheap earbuds and I like it! The overall tone and colour of the track is retro and analogue sounding. I would assume that is the intention. Is there some particular trick to the retro sound, like a specific mic or a plugin?
Thanks, I appreciate the positive feedback.
I am recording with a Sure MV1 usb mic which I bought because it plugs in to my iPad and I really like the sound, it looks retro too. I had the mic really close, almost touching my mouth but at an angle to try and avoid boominess.
I am just using GarageBand iOS plugins but I was careful to avoid adding too much top end as I wanted it to sound retro. So glad that it came across.
Old 6 days ago
  #6176
Lives for gear
 
Zyzygis's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by clump View Post
Wow, really like that......The instrumentation, and arrangement, is brilliant....I like the close vocal too, the double tracked parts work well, as do the 'child like' harmony parts. brilliant. A lot of UK TV ads are going for covers like this right now.
Thanks very much, really appreciate the feedback.
Old 6 days ago
  #6177
Lives for gear
 
wagtunes's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyzygis View Post


Another cover. Not happy with the vocal yet, it’s harder to sing than it might seem, lots of subtle melodic inflection.
Rough mix so any thoughts are welcome.
Screw it. I'm going to be the bigger man. I understand why you're not happy with the vocals. A little pitchy in parts at the beginning. Got better as it went along. Yes, hard to sing this one. Mild pitch correction should fix the minor problems, or just redo vocals. Loved the string arrangement. Very well done. Mix itself is a little on the loud side. Had to turn it down quite a bit. I'm sure that will be straightened out in the final mix. Would love some drums on this one but understand if you choose to go without them.

All in all, enjoyed the listen.
Old 6 days ago
  #6178
Gear Head
 

What's the simplest way to upload an MP3 to this forum?
Old 6 days ago
  #6179
Gear Head
 

The Villian (circa 2005) or so.

The Villain Mix Session - Redo1 by stixstudios | Free Listening on SoundCloud

The intended idea of this song and mix was meant to be in the genre of Pink Floyd and Alan Parsons (oh dear!!!)... over compressed for sure, is just the beginning.

I can't remember much about what was used.

There was a basic Drum loop (BOSS Drum thing) + DX7, 12 string guitar and a Les Paul copy.

Make sure to have a few beers or so before listening to. And as usual, crank up the volume! (and make sure to hide under your bed.)

Cheers.
Old 6 days ago
  #6180
Lives for gear
 
wagtunes's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stixstudios View Post
The Villian (circa 2005) or so.

The Villain Mix Session - Redo1 by stixstudios | Free Listening on SoundCloud

The intended idea of this song and mix was meant to be in the genre of Pink Floyd and Alan Parsons (oh dear!!!)... over compressed for sure, is just the beginning.

I can't remember much about what was used.

There was a basic Drum loop (BOSS Drum thing) + DX7, 12 string guitar and a Les Paul copy.

Make sure to have a few beers or so before listening to. And as usual, crank up the volume! (and make sure to hide under your bed.)

Cheers.
Like the stereo field on the beginning. Musically, I hear the Parsons but the vocal is more Thorogood so it's a bit a an odd mix. Still, nice mix. Can't think of anything that stands out as being "wrong." I don't even think it's overcompressed but I'm not as picky about that stuff as others so don't go by me.

All in all, I enjoyed listening to this even if it is a little strange.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
dhollmusik / Electronic Music Instruments and Electronic Music Production
15
linchpin123 / Work In Progress / Advice Requested / Show and Tell / Artist Showcase / Mix-Offs
1
ianvargo / Work In Progress / Advice Requested / Show and Tell / Artist Showcase / Mix-Offs
4
dagg / So much gear, so little time
8
Mr Funk / Work In Progress / Advice Requested / Show and Tell / Artist Showcase / Mix-Offs
10

Forum Jump
Forum Jump