The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Post your rough demos Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by donkey tugger View Post
Some more rocker bastardry. I may have just a little bit 'borrowed' from Ver Zep (they ripped everyone else off..) Still seem to be in my more obtuse arrangement mode too, must get round to writing the odd chorus now and then...Hopefully the general bombast, frankly ludicrous guitar solo, and cod, err, 'middle eastern themed' middle section will compensate..

http://www.bennyleeds7.myfreeola.uk/...t-dead-air.mp3

Much tweaking still to do no doubt, but getting there I hope.
Yes, I really enjoyed this.
The guitar sounds are just right and the understated melody is really powerful.
Good work!
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Another more fleshed out mix. It’s probably over populated and over the top.
What do you people think? Too much?
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Noodlist View Post
Super, I like it, always refreshing.
Great production as always, open tunings?
The music draws me in, Fantástico.

Are you using some secret outboard gear?
Aye, this one is the 'Rain Song' tuning -D-G-C-G-C-D, marvellous!

No fancy gear here - this is Yorkshire, all cheap ****. Effects are all plug-ins, interface is Behringer 404HD, mics are Sontronics STC1 (for acoustic geetar) and Rode NT1A (vocals)
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyzygis View Post
Yes, I really enjoyed this.
The guitar sounds are just right and the understated melody is really powerful.
Good work!
Cheers, mix seems about ok then..!

I started off trying to sing it with a lot more variation, but it really didn't work. I think it's one of those things where there's quite a lot going on in the music anyway, so something a bit monotone works better. Hopefully..
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
I am generally impressed by your music and there are some very interesting ideas here.
I would like to hear a bit more contrast in the composition and arrangements as they do get a bit relentless as the previous poster mentioned.
There seems to be a lack of balance mix wise with the synth bass dominating and not enough volume in the rhythm elements which leaves a kind of hole in the middle. I like the space but it needs at least one more element to occupy the foreground.
Really appreciate the listens and comments. Agree that a lot of the synth basses are running way too hot. Working on remixing them and reposting them over the next few weeks. Thank you for your time, effort and ear fatigue!
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

8th track from my upcoming CD "Untitled Masterpiece"

Every once in a while I like to do something totally ridiculous. Well, this is it for this CD. Took me 2 weeks to get this to the degree of ridiculousness that I wanted.

My apologies in advance to everyone who will find this offensive and totally inappropriate.

Dingo

Dingo, Dingo

He had a way with the ladies
His name was Dingo

Dingo was a ladies man
Romanced them the best he can
And he didn't give a damn
His name was Dingo

Dingo had the money yes
Bought his ladies nicest dress
But he never would confess
His name was Dingo

Repeat Chorus

One day Dingo crossed the line
Did something that was not fine
He became a me too rhyme
His name was Dingo

Instrumental Break

Repeat Chorus

Soon they ran him it of town
They did not want him around
He became a silly clown
His name was Dingo

He lost his way with the ladies
He's no more Dingo

Dingo, Dingo, Dingo, Dingo

Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by wagtunes View Post
8th track from my upcoming CD "Untitled Masterpiece"

Every once in a while I like to do something totally ridiculous. Well, this is it for this CD. Took me 2 weeks to get this to the degree of ridiculousness that I wanted.

My apologies in advance to everyone who will find this offensive and totally inappropriate.

Dingo

Dingo, Dingo

His name was Dingo

Dingo was a ladies man
Romanced them the best he can
And he didn't give a damn
His name was Dingo

Dingo had the money yes
Bought his ladies nicest dress
But he never would confess
His name was Dingo

Repeat Chorus

One day Dingo crossed the line
Did something that was not fine
He became a me too rhyme
His name was Dingo

Instrumental Break

Repeat Chorus

Soon they ran him it of town
They did not want him around
He became a silly clown
His name was Dingo

He's no more Dingo

Dingo, Dingo, Dingo, Dingo

Not sure if the accent is meant to be Jamaican, African or South American, but I enjoyed the accent! Fun track and I think if you were to make a silly video to go with it, it could be one of those things that goes viral on YouTube. May be someone could do some rudimentary animation, as I'd love to see this Dingo in cartoon form!
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Funk View Post
Not sure if the accent is meant to be Jamaican, African or South American, but I enjoyed the accent! Fun track and I think if you were to make a silly video to go with it, it could be one of those things that goes viral on YouTube. May be someone could do some rudimentary animation, as I'd love to see this Dingo in cartoon form!
It was meant to be Jamaican. Not sure how well I pulled it off but I did my best.

Would love to make a video but don't know the first thing about doing that stuff nor do I even have an idea for one.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Another attempt at mixing and mastering with an IPad app called Final Touch which is surprisingly good IMO, (the app that is, not my mixing).
Let me know if it sounds ok.I am working on headphones exclusively ATM and they can make it quite difficult to get the bass right. Any of you with good ears and monitoring care to have a listen and let me know if the balance is off?
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Cover demo

Just a living room recording we did off the cuff. Learned the song in ten minutes on guitar and hit record

It’s my girlfriends daughter I think she has a sweet voice

Guitar is stereo schoeps
Vocal is AEA R44
Attached Files

sabs rip tide 1-14.mp3 (7.85 MB, 545 views)

Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

Another attempt at mixing and mastering with an IPad app called Final Touch which is surprisingly good IMO, (the app that is, not my mixing).
Let me know if it sounds ok.I am working on headphones exclusively ATM and they can make it quite difficult to get the bass right. Any of you with good ears and monitoring care to have a listen and let me know if the balance is off?
Also, is the vocal good enough or should I have another go?
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Also, is the vocal good enough or should I have another go?
Bass sounds fine to me, but I also checked on headphones and small, not pro speakers. However, I do all my mixing on headphones and I've got used to the bass end a lot more on cans. The mix sounds nice, lots of space around everything and a great front to back depth that I can never do.

The vocals sound good to me, no need to redo, although after the break/guitar solo part, I'd come back in with a double or trebled layer vocal, may be even harmonies, this will really life the send of the track.

Sounding great!
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
What ever it is, it's got to be funky!
Old funk bass player here. I love what you're doing, but to offer critique, I think you need to have more fun with the bass. The bass track has a nice spine, if you will, and repetition of a funky spine is the foundation of funk bass. But I'd say your track is lacking the improvised in-between-notes that would always go back to that sweet spine you've come up with. In-between-notes is where the fun in playing funk bass resides.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle View Post
Old funk bass player here. I love what you're doing, but to offer critique, I think you need to have more fun with the bass. The bass track has a nice spine, if you will, and repetition of a funky spine is the foundation of funk bass. But I'd say your track is lacking the improvised in-between-notes that would always go back to that sweet spine you've come up with. In-between-notes is where the fun in playing funk bass resides.
Hi, was that message for myself? If so, thanks and if not, thanks too, as it was a good lesson in funk!
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolname6 View Post
I got songs that'll put hair on your head.
I could use some of that
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Bass sounds fine to me, but I also checked on headphones and small, not pro speakers. However, I do all my mixing on headphones and I've got used to the bass end a lot more on cans. The mix sounds nice, lots of space around everything and a great front to back depth that I can never do.

The vocals sound good to me, no need to redo, although after the break/guitar solo part, I'd come back in with a double or trebled layer vocal, may be even harmonies, this will really life the send of the track.

Sounding great!

Thanks Kane.
I really appreciate the positive feedback.
I originally had backing vocals on the chorus and the end vocals and took them out to leave more space for the lead vocal.
I put them back as you suggested after that guitar break and I think it sounds pretty good.
Let me know what you think.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Hi, was that message for myself?
Yes, for you. I hope it helps!
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by donkey tugger View Post
Some more rocker bastardry. I may have just a little bit 'borrowed' from Ver Zep (they ripped everyone else off..) Still seem to be in my more obtuse arrangement mode too, must get round to writing the odd chorus now and then...Hopefully the general bombast, frankly ludicrous guitar solo, and cod, err, 'middle eastern themed' middle section will compensate..

http://www.bennyleeds7.myfreeola.uk/...t-dead-air.mp3

Much tweaking still to do no doubt, but getting there I hope.
Sounds good man, great mix and lots of cool details in the production! Rockin it !!!
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:

I am listening on headphones too and the balance sounds pretty good now.

But I have to say that I do not understand what you are trying to achieve with that sampled girl voice, to me it just sounds odd and even distracting?
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jugetsu85 View Post
I am listening on headphones too and the balance sounds pretty good now.

But I have to say that I do not understand what you are trying to achieve with that sampled girl voice, to me it just sounds odd and even distracting?
Thanks for listening.
Yes, I think you might be right about that sample.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:

Thanks Kane.
I really appreciate the positive feedback.
I originally had backing vocals on the chorus and the end vocals and took them out to leave more space for the lead vocal.
I put them back as you suggested after that guitar break and I think it sounds pretty good.
Let me know what you think.
Yes, that works for me! Nice.
Old 3 weeks ago
Hey Slutz,
Latest from me - Now with 30% more cowbell! I've got work to do on this as always (low-end mud, craptacular vocals, etc.), but I've got to walk away from it for now. Love to hear what you think and what you think I ought to be doing to it.
Wheels
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelomatic View Post
Hey Slutz,
Latest from me - Now with 30% more cowbell! I've got work to do on this as always (low-end mud, craptacular vocals, etc.), but I've got to walk away from it for now. Love to hear what you think and what you think I ought to be doing to it.
Wheels
Gave it a listen. While the mix needs a little work, I don't hear all that many problems with it. Of course I'm not overly picky about these things unless something really sticks out. In this case, not much. Maybe guitar lead is a little too loud but don't hear the mud you're talking about. As for the craptastic vocals, I liked them. My biggest problem (and I find this with most songs) is that the hook just doesn't grab me enough. In fact, not really understanding a lot of the words, not too sure where the hook is. But I probably just need to listen to this a few times.

All in all, it's really not that bad. As for what I'd do with it, no clue. I'm not good at making arrangement suggestions with other people's stuff unless, again, something really hits me.

Hopefully, you'll get more helpful feedback than this but at 11:20 PM and having had a long day, it's the best I'm capable of at the moment.

As it stands, I give it a 7 out of 10. That's not too bad for what I consider an album filler track.
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelomatic View Post
Hey Slutz,
Wheels
The mix sounds really nice and clean. I don't hear any low-end mud or bad vocals. As for suggestions, not sure, are you still in the arrangement phase or just looking for suggestions on the mix?
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
The mix sounds really nice and clean. I don't hear any low-end mud or bad vocals. As for suggestions, not sure, are you still in the arrangement phase or just looking for suggestions on the mix?
By all means, fire away with arrangement or any other suggestions.
Wheels
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Gave it a listen. While the mix needs a little work, I don't hear all that many problems with it. Of course I'm not overly picky about these things unless something really sticks out. In this case, not much. Maybe guitar lead is a little too loud but don't hear the mud you're talking about. As for the craptastic vocals, I liked them. My biggest problem (and I find this with most songs) is that the hook just doesn't grab me enough. In fact, not really understanding a lot of the words, not too sure where the hook is. But I probably just need to listen to this a few times.

All in all, it's really not that bad. As for what I'd do with it, no clue. I'm not good at making arrangement suggestions with other people's stuff unless, again, something really hits me.

Hopefully, you'll get more helpful feedback than this but at 11:20 PM and having had a long day, it's the best I'm capable of at the moment.

As it stands, I give it a 7 out of 10. That's not too bad for what I consider an album filler track.
Thanks for the feedback, Wags. As for hooks, kind of a verse-chorus, verse-chorus, middle-eight to break down, build up and outro. Pretty pedestrian I agree.
Wheels
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jugetsu85 View Post
Sounds good man, great mix and lots of cool details in the production! Rockin it !!!
A very belated thanks!
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Here is a big rework of my track that was entitled Strong Enough but is now called Spin The Wheel due to a brand new chorus. The original chorus was total crap. Think this is shaping up much better now. The vocals are still scratch vocals and I hope to get real bass. The female 3rd verse will be added for the album version. The mix still needs some work, but this will wait till I have all the elements finalised.

Spin The Wheel (radio edit) - Demo by KaneWilliams | Kane Williams | Free Listening on SoundCloud
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Here is a big rework of my track that was entitled Strong Enough but is now called Spin The Wheel due to a brand new chorus. The original chorus was total crap. Think this is shaping up much better now. The vocals are still scratch vocals and I hope to get real bass. The female 3rd verse will be added for the album version. The mix still needs some work, but this will wait till I have all the elements finalised.

Spin The Wheel (radio edit) - Demo by KaneWilliams | Kane Williams | Free Listening on SoundCloud
Listening now. Commenting in real time.

Like the groove on this one. OMG, this is SOOOO A.R.S. Still lacking that distinction between verse and chorus but this one not so bad for two reasons.

1. Chorus arrangement does seem to pick up a notch. Plus there is that beat between the two, so that helps.

2. The "Spin The Wheel" lyric stands out.

What I'd probably do is understate the verse maybe just a tad more. It's still kind of hard to tell the transition between the two. Song could also use some kind of a bridge, though at over 4 minutes it's already pretty long. Strange, it didn't seem like a 4 minute song now that it's over.

Typical quality Kane track. You're probably, on a scale of 1-10, a point away from having, what would have been in another era, a top 10 hit. Today? I'm not sure. It certainly doesn't sound like anything I hear on the radio in this part of town.

I'm just going to put this out there. I think if we wrote something together (me just adding that one point that's missing) I think you'd have something hit worthy. No, don't worry. I'm not offering and I'm certainly not imposing on you. This stuff is yours. I just think you need a co-writer who is a little stronger in the hook department, but mostly how to get to that hook so that it screams out at people "Okay folks, here's the hook." Your stuff, as good as it is, and as consistent as it is, doesn't do that. I'm starting to hear that the more and more that I listen to it. Maybe a change in arrangement can solve the problem without having to actually change any of the actual music, but structure wise, your songs are too linear. It's hard to find the breaks, sections, whatever you want to call them.

I think I'm going to go back and listen to everything you have up on Youtube to see if all your songs truly do follow this structure.

But if you want to understand what I'm talking about as far as distinct choruses, please listen to this track that I wrote for my "Raising Kane" CD which I did in tribute to you. It is a classic example of what I'm talking about. You absolutely cannot miss the chorus.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search