The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Post your rough demos Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 12th December 2018
Lives for gear

These were written in 1988 -- two of the members, of the original band, came to the studio >> to "recreate" the live cassette they had
Attached Files

SUNSHINE.mp3 (13.32 MB, 488 views)

WINDS OF CHANGE .mp3 (7.76 MB, 439 views)

ONCE IN A LIFETIME.mp3 (11.72 MB, 443 views)

Last edited by cjogo; 13th December 2018 at 07:25 AM..
Old 12th December 2018
Gear Maniac

I did a remixing session tonight working on another song that I wrote earlier this year... I think some of you liked the earlier version ( @Snail at least if I'm not entirely wrong ), but I think this is already sounding much better...

I really like what the Waves CLA-76 in ALL buttons in mode is doing to the lead vocal on this one, good example is the beautiful analogue sounding distortion at around 0:50 when the compressor really grabs hard on my voice.

Notes on the song/performance/mix/master etc. are very much appreciated!
Attached Files

Fo27 - We Also Burned demo.mp3 (7.30 MB, 544 views)

Old 12th December 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyzygis View Post
Bass sounds good to me.
Still think you can afford to be bolder with the transient elements to get a bit more punch and grit without spoiling the smooth vibe. The solo could still be more interesting, it’s a bit tame, perhaps a phaser or flanger in parallel?
The flute is still stepping on the vocal too much for me, it’s very much in the same frequency area and conflicts.
It’s a really good track but beware of making it too “beige”.
Again, thanks for the tips. I will address that flute somehow. I will also see about messing with the solo synth some more. Phase is good idea and one I had toyed with. The transient thing I will also try to do something with, but I have a feeling I just may not have the engineering skills? I try to keep learning each time and I do need these little nudges to push myself, so I appreciate it.

I am wondering if when the vocals are recorded for real, if the flute will not be such an issue, as the frequency response and timbre of the vocal will be quite different and fuller. I will wait to see before I mess with the flute.
Old 12th December 2018
Lives for gear
Ok, so I added a bit more crunch to the solo synth as well as a little phasing, but only to help bed it in more, I may still add some flange. I also beefed up the percussion with more saturation and tighter transient shaping to make them poke out a bit more and beefed up the drums a pinch too by upping the parallel comp.

I removed one on or two of the backing vocal parts from the chorus that was clashing with the flute and moved one part so it did not overlap any more. I also added a some Microshift to the flute so that it beds in better. I think these changes have improved the mix and the arrangement, so thanks again guys.

I'm sure Z will still say "more transients and grit" and he may be right.

Light - Demo by KaneWilliams | Kane Williams | Free Listening on SoundCloud
Old 13th December 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Funk View Post
Ok, so I added a bit more crunch to the solo synth as well as a little phasing, but only to help bed it in more, I may still add some flange. I also beefed up the percussion with more saturation and tighter transient shaping to make them poke out a bit more and beefed up the drums a pinch too by upping the parallel comp.

I removed one on or two of the backing vocal parts from the chorus that was clashing with the flute and moved one part so it did not overlap any more. I also added a some Microshift to the flute so that it beds in better. I think these changes have improved the mix and the arrangement, so thanks again guys.

LOL Please Sir I want some more!
But seriously, it’s sounding really great. Much more dimensional and lively.
It is like you put a coat of varnish on it and brought out the details and depths of colours.
You need to get the vocal done before you can go any further IMO.
That solo sounds gorgeous now, I think it could do with being a couple of dbs louder, but the texture is perfect!
The flute has got its own space now too.
The only thing I would have a look at is the snare. It sounds a little off key to me and clashes with the tambourine. Perhaps try tuning it down to fit with the key of the song?
Great track mate!
Old 13th December 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
LOL Please Sir I want some more!
But seriously, it’s sounding really great. Much more dimensional and lively.
It is like you put a coat of varnish on it and brought out the details and depths of colours.
You need to get the vocal done before you can go any further IMO.
That solo sounds gorgeous now, I think it could do with being a couple of dbs louder, but the texture is perfect!
The flute has got its own space now too.
The only thing I would have a look at is the snare. It sounds a little off key to me and clashes with the tambourine. Perhaps try tuning it down to fit with the key of the song?
Great track mate!
Good tip. I really like the snare and tambourine together on this track and I can't believe I didn't tune them, or may be I did but only to taste not to the track? Anyway, i will try to do that.

I've just started a new track, it's currently 70BPM, so the slowest thing I've done for a long time. I was inspired by the new Tingsek album I got but it's sounding more like Michael Jackson I think.
Old 13th December 2018
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by jugetsu85 View Post
Cool song man! This is the kind of music that I love to listen to when I'm driving. Rock on!
Thanks for the comments, guys.

I did try it again with an even more aggressive vocal delivery, too... partially inspired by listening to a lot of Queen since the Bohemian Rhapsody film...
Old 13th December 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Funk View Post

Sounds great! Has a distinct vibe, which is the most important part. One constructive note, I would try to get the kick and bassline to lock in more. Most of the notes that the bass is playing aren’t lining up with the kick hits. I feel like this song would benefit from that really tight backbeat. On the notes where it did match up I really felt the (insert guttural James Brown noise). But do it however you want. It’s your pool, I’m just listening to music in it
Thanks for sharing btw
Old 13th December 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Doucet View Post
This is a groove I have been working on. I just wrote some lyrics for this,
but haven't cut them just yet. The track has some overly saturated
guitars and definitely not keeper tracks.. was more concentrating on the groove
of the bass and drums and rough rhythm chunk guitar stuff. It is just a short
snippet of it .

check it out

That drum fill at 0:33 syncing up with everything was NASTY! Seriously NASTY! Please keep that in the finished version. Some tremolo guitars panned left and right would sound great right before the drop into the heavier part. Maybe try it out, see what you think
Old 13th December 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braloha View Post
That drum fill at 0:33 syncing up with everything was NASTY! Seriously NASTY! Please keep that in the finished version. Some tremolo guitars panned left and right would sound great right before the drop into the heavier part. Maybe try it out, see what you think
Thanks, I have been working on this one a bit. Did some more production on it and rough vocals. Still sketching. But should post my progress on this shortly. Check it out. Thanks

J
Old 13th December 2018
Gear Head

Sign Me Up/Lock Me Up

Here is an update to my instrumental post from a week ago. Added more to it and ROUGH vocals.. Still writing this but coming along, sorta came out R&B Pop sounding. Purposely Left off the bridge section because it needed redoing.

V1
Just say the word and
tell me where you wanna meet
I’m gonna get there to you baby
thats where I wanna be
cause I can’t wait until
I can hold you again
wanna feel your kiss on my skin
and do the things that we do

and we’ll get lost lost in the moment
adrift in a dreamland
in the solace of you and me laying there
but time (time) it keeps ticking won’t stop
you’re leaving in teardrops
you don’t wanna go home to him
And If He Don’t Love You
Baby Sign Me Up Lock Me Up NOW!
make me A Prisoner of your Luuuuuuuv
Come on Baby Sign Me Up
If he dont hold you tight enough
and you’ve been lonely way too much
anytime you’re needin’ (us) love
Call Me Up ~ Sign Me Up

V2
This beds is cold
and I can’t get to sleep baby
all these thoughts of us tangled up
underneath these sheets
and I call you up
gotta get you here tonight
will u race to the city
we'll steal some hours from the night
Old 14th December 2018
Lives for gear

Another cover, I seem to be revisiting my favourite 60s music at the moment.
This one is an interpretation of the Dylan song via Hendrix. I will be refining this with more guitar and strings as well as working on the drums and organ parts.
Any thoughts or suggestions?
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:

This one is an interpretation of the Dylan song via Hendrix. I will be refining this with more guitar and strings as well as working on the drums and organ parts.
It's a brave man/woman that takes on a classic. I like the feel of what you've got - no point in doing a cover unless you're going to do something different anyway! Because it's such a simple (but great) song there's a lot of room for many interpretations and the understated slightly funky take you've got here is an interesting one.

Mix is lacking a lot of clarity at present though. Just from a preliminary listen I'd say;

Vocals is too quiet and lacks a bit of presence
Shaker way too loud..
There are some compression artefacts which sound like a release is set too quick on the drums somewhere?
In general I think a bit of judicious cuts to give space to individual parts is probably required.

Looking forward to see what you do with it.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by donkey tugger View Post
It's a brave man/woman that takes on a classic. I like the feel of what you've got - no point in doing a cover unless you're going to do something different anyway! Because it's such a simple (but great) song there's a lot of room for many interpretations and the understated slightly funky take you've got here is an interesting one.

Mix is lacking a lot of clarity at present though. Just from a preliminary listen I'd say;

Vocals is too quiet and lacks a bit of presence
Shaker way too loud..
There are some compression artefacts which sound like a release is set too quick on the drums somewhere?
In general I think a bit of judicious cuts to give space to individual parts is probably required.

Looking forward to see what you do with it.
Thanks for listening.
All good, helpful points. I will be back with a better mix in a bit.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:

I forgot what I was listening to and got super excited when your song started up.
My gearslutz boner is so disappointed and flacid at the fact that, not even this, can earn a thumbs up... is it jealousy? why is your work not being acknowledged by listeners. o well. keep up the good work. I didnt care for you singing the line, wind began to howl. good work though.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jugetsu85 View Post
I did a remixing session tonight working on another song that I wrote earlier this year... I think some of you liked the earlier version ( @Snail at least if I'm not entirely wrong ), but I think this is already sounding much better...

I really like what the Waves CLA-76 in ALL buttons in mode is doing to the lead vocal on this one, good example is the beautiful analogue sounding distortion at around 0:50 when the compressor really grabs hard on my voice.

Notes on the song/performance/mix/master etc. are very much appreciated!
The crunchy guitar tones to die for, it makes me want a crunchy cookie. I keep wanting a natural melody instrument to back your work. a melody guitar guy in the band or a cello something for color. but natural and real, no synths.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by YourBestFriend View Post
I forgot what I was listening to and got super excited when your song started up.
My gearslutz boner is so disappointed and flacid at the fact that, not even this, can earn a thumbs up... is it jealousy? why is your work not being acknowledged by listeners. o well. keep up the good work. I didnt care for you singing the line, wind began to howl. good work though.
Thanks! I appreciate the positive feedback.
I am still working on the vocal and will arrive at the final melody in time.
What was it about the “wind” line that you didn’t like?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:

Cool Vibe and Groove Z! Sounds like your on it! Always loved that tune too!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Cool Vibe and Groove Z! Sounds like your on it! Always loved that tune too!
Thanks Jay!
Glad you liked it.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

A slightly better mix (I think). I tried to get more punch in the louder sections and brought the vocal up front. Probably got a bit too heavy handed with the reverb on the vocal at the end but I kinda like the idea. Problem with working in GarageBand on the iPad is lack of effects automation and no master track so I am having to split things onto separate tracks until I run out of CPU and then I have to mix down import into a new project. One thing I notice though, is that having to commit and having minimal plugins makes me much more focused. Usually I will flaff around ‘improving’ things to death only to end up going back to my first ideas.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict
Quote:

A slightly better mix (I think). I tried to get more punch in the louder sections and brought the vocal up front. Probably got a bit too heavy handed with the reverb on the vocal at the end but I kinda like the idea. Problem with working in GarageBand on the iPad is lack of effects automation and no master track so I am having to split things onto separate tracks until I run out of CPU and then I have to mix down import into a new project. One thing I notice though, is that having to commit and having minimal plugins makes me much more focused. Usually I will flaff around ‘improving’ things to death only to end up going back to my first ideas.
Very cool track. I dug it! It’s amazing you did all this in an iPad??

There are some slight things I’d recommend if you wanted to improve it from my perspective. Maybe a de-esser on the vocal because it has a lot of sibilants, and maybe some 2-bus EQ to bring out a bit more bass and lower mids because it sounds very bright without much weight.

I didn’t mind the verb at the end — found it cool and atmospheric.

Oh, and one of my favorite songs so always nice to see an imaginative cover!
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict
Quote:
And If He Don’t Love You
Baby Sign Me Up Lock Me Up NOW!
make me A Prisoner of your
Very cool song, Jay! Great stuff.

I have only one comment and it has to do with the arrangement. When you get to the lines above, it sounds like the song is building up and a chorus is really going to kick in now. But instead it just goes back to the laid back verse music and the music doesn’t seem to underscore the power of the words. Is that what you meant by saying the bridge was left out?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snail View Post
Very cool track. I dug it! It’s amazing you did all this in an iPad??

There are some slight things I’d recommend if you wanted to improve it from my perspective. Maybe a de-esser on the vocal because it has a lot of sibilants, and maybe some 2-bus EQ to bring out a bit more bass and lower mids because it sounds very bright without much weight.

I didn’t mind the verb at the end — found it cool and atmospheric.

Oh, and one of my favorite songs so always nice to see an imaginative cover!
Thanks for the feedback. Glad you liked it.
I will look at the things you suggested and push the lower frequencies and perhaps pull back a touch on the top end.
I am pretty amazed by what is possible with the iPad. I have had to put all my things, including my studio gear, into storage for the last year, so the iPad was perfect for getting some ideas down. I didn’t think I could use it to get this far with a track though.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Very cool song, Jay! Great stuff.

I have only one comment and it has to do with the arrangement. When you get to the lines above, it sounds like the song is building up and a chorus is really going to kick in now. But instead it just goes back to the laid back verse music and the music doesn’t seem to underscore the power of the words. Is that what you meant by saying the bridge was left out?
Thanks, yeah, Im thinking I may shorten the first two chorus' and then hit the bridge, and then after that do the long chorus. its one of many Work in progress tunes so its all up in the air till its done. Thanks for the comments!

Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict
Quote:
Thanks for the feedback. Glad you liked it.
I will look at the things you suggested and push the lower frequencies and perhaps pull back a touch on the top end.
I am pretty amazed by what is possible with the iPad. I have had to put all my things, including my studio gear, into storage for the last year, so the iPad was perfect for getting some ideas down. I didn’t think I could use it to get this far with a track though.
This happened to me once when I was traveling in Japan about 10 years ago and only had my laptop and Logic on it. For the first time ever I delved into using soft-synths and the drum machines and loops in Logic and was amazed (I'd never used a soft-synth before). I made tunes and learned stuff I never would have otherwise. As they say, necessity is the mother of invention!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

3rd track from my upcoming CD "Untitled Masterpiece"

Totally Vocaloid free on this one. Really starting to enjoy singing again as long as I stay within myself.

24 tracks. Went for big spacious mix. Some may think it's a little reverb heavy. I tried doing this track drier but it just didn't work for me.

I just wish I had Roger Daltry to sing this one.

Tommy's Lament

Can you see me
Can you feel me
Can you hear me crying for you
When the night falls
And the wolf calls
Will you touch me the way that you do

This is your Tommy
Spending his life playing that pinball machine
I've seen heaven and hell
And everything in between

Do you love me
Do you want me
Will you hold me through the night
When the moon shines
When the clock chimes
Will you be here to make things right

Repeat Refrain

Instrumental Break

Repeat Refrain

Finally sober
Finally over
Rest in peace for eternity

Outro

Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
This happened to me once when I was traveling in Japan about 10 years ago and only had my laptop and Logic on it. For the first time ever I delved into using soft-synths and the drum machines and loops in Logic and was amazed (I'd never used a soft-synth before). I made tunes and learned stuff I never would have otherwise. As they say, necessity is the mother of invention!
True.
I was sceptical that an IPad could be used to create series music recording but now I am convinced that in the right hands it is a very capable production tool.
I am still learning how to work within it’s limitations and finding it fun to find ways round them.
I just ordered a new Shure mic which should give me better quality recording and new software is being developed all the time which rivals pc stuff.
Great times for music production!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks, yeah, Im thinking I may shorten the first two chorus' and then hit the bridge, and then after that do the long chorus. its one of many Work in progress tunes so its all up in the air till its done. Thanks for the comments!

Again, stellar production and great sound.
I agree with the previous comment about the chorus not being big enough but I think it could work with a big RnB style choir behind the key lines to give it the extre power and passion it needs following the big pre chorus, which I like but might need pulling in a bit to make the chorus punch.
I look forward to hearing how you develop this.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjogo View Post
These were written in 1988 -- two of the members, of the original band, came to the studio >> to "recreate" the live cassette they had
Some good writing and playing.
The first song Sunshine needs the drums to be more powerful, at the moment they are weak and don’t drive the song enough. I think once you get them hitting properly everything else will find it’s place.
Generally the like the feel and vibe.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by wagtunes View Post
3rd track from my upcoming CD "Untitled Masterpiece"

Totally Vocaloid free on this one. Really starting to enjoy singing again as long as I stay within myself.

Great track Wag. I love the recessed, distant drums for the intro, but I would personally bring them forward a bit more (gradual fade forward) before the vocals start. For me it's really just the snare that should be a bit louder (apart from in the intro). I like the verb, just needs a little more level or snap on that snare, may be 3dB.

Vocals sound good. I wonder if you ever tried any of those vocal exercises?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search