The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Post your rough demos Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 4 days ago
  #5851
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Funk View Post
Hey guys. I've not posted in ages, so thought I'd post my latest demo. I wrote this for my partner for her birthday last week. The soundcloud link is "private" as i don't want the general public to hear it, so I hope the link will work. I can't embed a private link. Light - Demo by KaneWilliams | Kane Williams | Free Listening on SoundCloud

Vocals as usual recorded with inbuilt Macbook Pro mic and will hopefully be improved a bit when I record them for real. There is no tuning correction on them, which I try to avoid in any case.

Bass and guitar need to be replaced with real instruments. The mix will still need some work when I get all the final elements of course, but I don't think the mix is sounding bad.

What about the arrangement? Does the synth solo work? I'm not keyboard player so, I played bits at a time, so it lacks the finesse of someone who can actually play. What about the section following the solo? Do these sections work as a whole or do the transitions need work?

Thanks

Kane
I very much dig this, great effort. Really nice melody, great vocal and harmony parts. Not much to suggest to improve this, song-wise. Yeah, all the parts work really well together. Maybe for the part after the solo a little more emphasis on the fact that it's a break would be good, like maybe a fill just before, and then change up the groove with a drum and vocal only part. Then a nice fill when all the rest of the instruments come in to punch up the resumption of the main groove. As for the mix, I'd like the vocals to be up front just a hair more to make the lyrics more intelligible. Synth solo is just fine and fits the laid back funk atmosphere.

Wish I could write and perform stuff like this. Great work!
Old 4 days ago
  #5852
Gear Head
 
Jay Doucet's Avatar
 

Lock Me Up

This is a groove I have been working on. I just wrote some lyrics for this,
but haven't cut them just yet. The track has some overly saturated
guitars and definitely not keeper tracks.. was more concentrating on the groove
of the bass and drums and rough rhythm chunk guitar stuff. It is just a short
snippet of it .

check it out

Old 4 days ago
  #5853
Lives for gear
 
chrischoir's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Doucet View Post
This is a groove I have been working on. I just wrote some lyrics for this,
but haven't cut them just yet. The track has some overly saturated
guitars and definitely not keeper tracks.. was more concentrating on the groove
of the bass and drums and rough rhythm chunk guitar stuff. It is just a short
snippet of it .

check it out

way too much compression but sound good otherwise
Old 4 days ago
  #5854
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevola View Post
I very much dig this, great effort. Really nice melody, great vocal and harmony parts. Not much to suggest to improve this, song-wise. Yeah, all the parts work really well together. Maybe for the part after the solo a little more emphasis on the fact that it's a break would be good, like maybe a fill just before, and then change up the groove with a drum and vocal only part. Then a nice fill when all the rest of the instruments come in to punch up the resumption of the main groove. As for the mix, I'd like the vocals to be up front just a hair more to make the lyrics more intelligible. Synth solo is just fine and fits the laid back funk atmosphere.

Wish I could write and perform stuff like this. Great work!
Hey, thanks for your comments and suggestions. Yeah, I will ry to get that break a bit more like a break. That was my intention in my head, but couldn't quite get it right, but I will have another stab. Cheers

BTW, I can't actually play any instrument, this is all a mixture of playing as best I can on a midi keyboard, which is as rudimentary playing as one can get, just playing very small sections and inputting notes in the piano roll. So, in other words, if i can do it, anyone can, but it has taken me a while to get to where I am, which to me still feels like some way off from where I'd like to be, so it's great when I get feedback that suggests it sounds like someone who knows what they are doing has made the track. It's encouraging, so thanks again.

The vocals will be a lot more intelligible, with more body when I record them for real and the bass and guitar once replaced with by someone actually playing will take the track up a notch or two for sure.
Old 4 days ago
  #5855
Lives for gear
Based on Z's feedback I have tried to give the synth (in solo) a bit more bite and the same for the tambourine and latin percussion. I have also panned the flute. I had to EQ the snare a little once the tamb was given more prominence, as the two bombined was just a little too much.

I have also made the break down bit more of a break down (thanks kevola) and it's better.

Light - Demo by KaneWilliams | Kane Williams | Free Listening on SoundCloud


By the way, that little pop is not there when I play in my DAW, but always appears on bounce. It must me a plug in, but I'm not looking forward to tracking it down. Anyone got any tips on finding the culprit?

Last edited by Mr Funk; 4 days ago at 01:07 PM..
Old 4 days ago
  #5856
Gear Head
 
Jay Doucet's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrischoir View Post
way too much compression but sound good otherwise
Thanks for the comment, Yep, this was a quick throw it down kinda thing and I slammed the snot outta the two buss. lol

Old 3 days ago
  #5857
Lives for gear
 
wagtunes's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Funk View Post
Based on Z's feedback I have tried to give the synth (in solo) a bit more bite and the same for the tambourine and latin percussion. I have also panned the flute. I had to EQ the snare a little once the tamb was given more prominence, as the two bombined was just a little too much.

I have also made the break down bit more of a break down (thanks kevola) and it's better.

Light - Demo by KaneWilliams | Kane Williams | Free Listening on SoundCloud


By the way, that little pop is not there when I play in my DAW, but always appears on bounce. It must me a plug in, but I'm not looking forward to tracking it down. Anyone got any tips on finding the culprit?
Sorry it took me so long to listen to this. Your WIP is always better than my finished works. LOL. Typical Kane goodness. I guess maybe someday I'd like to hear you do something like this.



But you do what you do well so I guess it's pointless to mess with a proven sound and formula.

As for tracking down the click, only way to do it is remove one plug at a time and render after each removal until you find the culprit. There are no shortcuts to this.

Also, the synth lead could use a little delay. It's kind of dry. Everything else sounds great.

If I did something like this I'd call it close to done.
Old 3 days ago
  #5858
So I've taken in the advice from you guys, and I've watched several videos about mixing heavy guitars. I think I've definitely found more clarity in the mix, but I'm still looking for tips from you guys.

Let me know what you think.


Valerie's Dead mix test by Tim Davis | Free Listening on SoundCloud

I dropped the backup vocals, added reverb opposite each guitar channel L->R, R->L, and did quite a bit of EQ. I also added multiband compression to all of the tracks. Not super heavy, but its' there.
Old 3 days ago
  #5859
Lives for gear
 
Zyzygis's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Funk View Post
Based on Z's feedback I have tried to give the synth (in solo) a bit more bite and the same for the tambourine and latin percussion. I have also panned the flute. I had to EQ the snare a little once the tamb was given more prominence, as the two bombined was just a little too much.

I have also made the break down bit more of a break down (thanks kevola) and it's better.

Light - Demo by KaneWilliams | Kane Williams | Free Listening on SoundCloud


By the way, that little pop is not there when I play in my DAW, but always appears on bounce. It must me a plug in, but I'm not looking forward to tracking it down. Anyone got any tips on finding the culprit?
The best way I know to track down that kind of problem is to bounce down in halves.
First you need to do a bounce without any plugins on the mixbus if you have any. If not then mute half of the channels or bypass their plugins and see if that helps. Then you bypass half of the channels of the group that still pops and keep on until you get to the last two or three channels. This way you can narrow it down without going through every plugin and bouncing every time.
Hope this helps. Let me know what you find.
Will listen to the track later.
Old 3 days ago
  #5860
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by wagtunes View Post
Sorry it took me so long to listen to this. Your WIP is always better than my finished works. LOL. Typical Kane goodness. I guess maybe someday I'd like to hear you do something like this.



But you do what you do well so I guess it's pointless to mess with a proven sound and formula.

As for tracking down the click, only way to do it is remove one plug at a time and render after each removal until you find the culprit. There are no shortcuts to this.

Also, the synth lead could use a little delay. It's kind of dry. Everything else sounds great.

If I did something like this I'd call it close to done.
Hi Wag, thanks for the comments. Glad you like it. I do have some delay on the synth but I can certainly up it a bit. I was going for a dryer sound, but I will certainly have a listen with a bit more delay.
Old 2 days ago
  #5861
Here for the gear
 

Hey gang, long time listener, first time poster. Lots of great stuff here.

Anyway, here is a tune I've been working on for a bit. First crack at writing on piano (well, VST piano). I've re-record the vocals a number of times, still not crazy about where it is at, but thought I'd throw it out to ya'all for some feedback.

Kind of feel like it could use an intro, any other suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Old 2 days ago
  #5862
Gear Addict
 
YourBestFriend's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by jugetsu85 View Post
I've done further work on the mix and the production, limited to what I can do in the box as retracking is not possible for me at this time. This is where I am at now. I feel like I've been making the right moves and the song sounds better, but do you guys agree?

An interesting side note about the production: For the clean guitar I miced up my Peavey 6505 going into a 1x12 cab with Celestion G12T-75. I think it sounds okay considering that everyone says that the clean channel of this amp is useless.
275 listens and no likes, tough crowd. I enjoyed it.
Old 2 days ago
  #5863
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealSPH3 View Post
Hey gang, long time listener, first time poster. Lots of great stuff here.

Anyway, here is a tune I've been working on for a bit. First crack at writing on piano (well, VST piano). I've re-record the vocals a number of times, still not crazy about where it is at, but thought I'd throw it out to ya'all for some feedback.

Kind of feel like it could use an intro, any other suggestions are greatly appreciated.

I see where you are trying to go with this and it sounds good. At parts it seems like you have a gate on the vox too high and its cutting into early (or automation?). Your voice sounds good but I think you should let it come through a bit more rather than choking it too much with vibrato. Not completely but it will sound more natural. If you haven't already , listen to Nick Cave for ideas because your style is very similar. Also a de esser for those mouth clicks maybe? Also are you listing out chicks you've been with in a song? If so lol!
Old 2 days ago
  #5864
Here for the gear
 

Hey Mark:

Thanks for giving it a listen, appreciate your feedback. Like most people, I really hate the sound of my own voice, and only recently stopped burying it in the mix. I'll give cutting the vibrato a shot. Any tips on that? I'm not much of a singer, but maybe I should work on breath control a bit. YouTube, here I come.

Your spot on regarding the gate, I'm going to dial it back and maybe soften it up a bit.

The original idea for the song was basically "baby, those other chicks were great, but you're the best." Maybe I should try and strengthen that idea in the "chorus" part. I actually cut off the end of the last line in that section, which reads "And then I met you," although that isn't what I sang at all.

It's largely a work of fiction, not really based on anyone I know or anything that happened. I've never ran a marathon or spent a week at the beach, although my breath does reek of cigarettes and I'm a pretty poor piano player.
Old 2 days ago
  #5865
Lives for gear
 
cjogo's Avatar
Remix of a '97 tune
Attached Files

TELL ME NOT TO WORRY 2018 wav.mp3 (6.77 MB, 125 views)

Old 2 days ago
  #5866
Gear Addict
Hi folks,

I haven't been active here in a while -- busy with work -- but I've been listening and appreciating the tunes posted here. Lots of good stuff!

Here is a new tune that I came up with in the past few days for a friend who is missing Portland, OR. Any comments are appreciated!



Snail
Old 2 days ago
  #5867
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by jugetsu85 View Post
I've done further work on the mix and the production, limited to what I can do in the box as retracking is not possible for me at this time. This is where I am at now. I feel like I've been making the right moves and the song sounds better, but do you guys agree?

An interesting side note about the production: For the clean guitar I miced up my Peavey 6505 going into a 1x12 cab with Celestion G12T-75. I think it sounds okay considering that everyone says that the clean channel of this amp is useless.
I really like this song and the mix. I've been listening to your songs for a while now, and they seem to keep getting better and better, as does the production quality. There's a lot of emotion in your songs and it comes through in the performance and mix.

As for mic'ing the Peavey, I know it was an eye-opening experience for me when I realized that how an instrument sounds in the mix is quite different from how it sounds played by itself in a room. That moment for me was realizing that a cheap acoustic I had lying around sounded a lot better when recorded for a particular song than a $4,000 Martin (that a friend had lent me, 1960 I think). I've often had the reverse experience too -- finding what I think is an amazing guitar sound from the amp end up sounding anemic when recorded and placed in the mix.
Old 2 days ago
  #5868
Gear Maniac
 
jugetsu85's Avatar
Thanks @YourBestFriend and @Snail for the positive comments, much appreciated! I am on a little road trip right now but got your notes on my mobile phone by GS email and wanted to come say thanks right away!
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
dhollmusik / Electronic Music Instruments and Electronic Music Production
15
linchpin123 / Work In Progress / Advice Requested / Show and Tell / Artist Showcase / Mix-Offs
1
ianvargo / Work In Progress / Advice Requested / Show and Tell / Artist Showcase / Mix-Offs
4
dagg / So much gear, so little time
8
Mr Funk / Work In Progress / Advice Requested / Show and Tell / Artist Showcase / Mix-Offs
10

Forum Jump
Forum Jump