The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Post your rough demos Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 2 weeks ago
  #5641
Lives for gear
 
robert82's Avatar
Neediest person on GS.
Old 2 weeks ago
  #5642
Lives for gear
 
Zyzygis's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagtunes View Post
Okay, you know what? Let's put an end to this whole dialog once and for all because, honestly, it's getting tiresome.

Let's look at the facts. Well, actually they're not facts. They're just opinions. So let's look at the facts of the opinions or what those opinions actually are.

Fact Opinion 1: My lyrics are weak

Fact Opinion 2: My music is not as good as it could be. Still not exactly sure what your actual problem with it is (simple, cliche'd) don't know. Just not as good as it could be.

Fact Opinion 3: You keep telling me 1 and 2 every time I post a song.

There you go. That's essentially what this all comes down to.

Now, unless I'm a total egotistical maniac, there is no way I could argue with #2 . I don't think anybody's music is as good as it can be. There is always room for improvement. So this is a duh statement. Point conceded. My music can be better. So can yours, believe it or not.

Now, lyrics being weak. Well, I guess you could make the same case for lyrics. There is always room for improvement. The degree of skill of my current lyrics is irrelevant. They can be better. So another duh statement.

So 1 and 2 are obvious. I think they apply to everybody who ever put pen to paper and composed music.

So that brings us to number 3. Let's look at it again.

You keep telling me 1 and 2 every time I post a song.

What do you actually expect that to do? Human nature being what it is, if somebody keeps telling you the same thing over and over, what is one likely to do? Well, that depends on the nature of the person. And that's where human psychology comes in and I'm not diving into a long discussion on that because I took that crap in college. But essentially it comes down to 3 personality types.

Type A - Person will bust his ass trying to do better in order to please the one criticizing him short of killing himself. And even then, sometimes that's what it ends up as when they realize they'll never be good enough. These are dependent personalities that need constant validation. This was me at 20.

Type B - Digs in heals and purposely fight against doing better. Like the kid who, when you tell him not to paint his sister's hair with the brush ends up dumping the whole bucket on her just in spite. I was too afraid of being punished to ever be type B.

Type C - The person who just doesn't care either way. They're not against trying to do better but no way in hell are they going to bust their ass trying to please another person. It's just not important enough to them either way. They do what they want on their own time.

That's me. I'm type C. And it took me a long time to get here. So you can keep telling me that my lyrics are weak and my music is simple, cliche'd, cheesy or whatever. But the only thing it's going to accomplish is you adding to the number of times that you've told me my lyrics are weak and my music is simple, cliche'd, cheesy or whatever. In other words, you're smacking your fist into a wall that doesn't feel anything and ultimately all you're going to get is a sore hand.

I'll work in improving my lyrics and music when I feel like it and not because somebody keeps telling me over and over that my lyrics are weak and my music is simple, cliche'd, cheesy or whatever.

But it's your life. Far be it for me to tell you how to live it. If telling me off with every music post makes you happy, God bless. Go for it.

I'm just going to go on living my own life.
Again, huge amount of projection going on here.
I guess this is your pattern, you create opposition and then play the victim.
It was the same thing with you singing. People here were encouraging you to sing because some felt that the vocalood stuff was limiting your songs, but you got angry every time someone mentioned it and complained that you were being victimised and stated categorically that it would never happen and it would lead to the Zombie Apocalypse etc.
Then you finally turned and did it and, guess what, the world didn’t come to a violent end, in fact people liked it and some of us even preferred it to the robot.
You do this every time someone presents you with a challenge, I guess you get some kind of attention need from it but it just seems silly to me.
All I can do is give you my honest opinions on how I think you can improve.
I Haven’t been critical of your recent production, as you rightly noted, because that’s not where I see you needing improvement. When I thought your mixing and production was weak I pointed it out in spite of your over reaction to my criticisms, I don’t get personally involved with it, I just say it how I see it.
Try to get your ego out of the way and take or leave my opinions as and when you want, there is no need to get so defensive and angry about anything.
Old 2 weeks ago
  #5643
Lives for gear
 
wagtunes's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyzygis View Post
Again, huge amount of projection going on here.
I guess this is your pattern, you create opposition and then play the victim.
It was the same thing with you singing. People here were encouraging you to sing because some felt that the vocalood stuff was limiting your songs, but you got angry every time someone mentioned it and complained that you were being victimised and stated categorically that it would never happen and it would lead to the Zombie Apocalypse etc.
Then you finally turned and did it and, guess what, the world didn’t come to a violent end, in fact people liked it and some of us even preferred it to the robot.
You do this every time someone presents you with a challenge, I guess you get some kind of attention need from it but it just seems silly to me.
All I can do is give you my honest opinions on how I think you can improve.
I Haven’t been critical of your recent production, as you rightly noted, because that’s not where I see you needing improvement. When I thought your mixing and production was weak I pointed it out in spite of your over reaction to my criticisms, I don’t get personally involved with it, I just say it how I see it.
Try to get your ego out of the way and take or leave my opinions as and when you want, there is no need to get so defensive and angry about anything.
Well, that's fair enough. Listen to what you feel like listening to. Criticize what you don't like. And I'll go about doing whatever I decide to do, whether that be to try to improve or stay as I am. I think if we can both do that, we can keep this civil.

In the meantime, the next track isn't coming so I'm not going to rush it. It'll get done when it gets done. I'm in no hurry.

Have a great day.

PS - Some people really hate my singing even more than Vocaloid.
Old 2 weeks ago
  #5644
Lives for gear
 
foxwaves's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyzygis View Post
Thanks foxwaves! It’s nice to be appreciated.
I don’t feel like the drums or other parts are a problem but it can be that the guitar is distracting me from issues that become clear afterwards.
I think as a ‘rule’ it’s best to avoid having the lead guitar and the vocal playing at the same time. They share much of the same space and will clash.
One thing I found useful is, once I have a general idea of the guitar (or whatever instrument) sketched out, I will go through one section or lick at a time until I have got it as good as possible and then move on to the next part. That way I can keep my focus without getting overwhelmed or lost.
I like the feel of the guitar parts and they could be tightened up and improved this way.
If it is possible for you to loop a section like I can in my DAW then it becomes easy to practice/ record each section and keep the best take.
I'm eager to learn about recording. I've tinkered with music for over 50 years but DAW-based recording is still fairly new to me.

I agree about the lead guitar and vocals don't need to be on top of each other. I had a band for years and it was natural to stay off the vocals with the lead except for a few songs that really called for it.

I'm learning about recording from good folks such as you, books, online tutorials and the limited amount of time I have for hands-on trial and error. I've tried several Daws but stuck on Reaper and just recently discovered that you could loop a section and just track as many times as you want. Also, I've been reading about vocal comping and want to try that next time I record a song. So far, I've just recorded a vocal and that was it.

I'll try your techniques and am sure they will help me improve. Thanks again .
Old 2 weeks ago
  #5645
Lives for gear
 
Zyzygis's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagtunes View Post
Well, that's fair enough. Listen to what you feel like listening to. Criticize what you don't like. And I'll go about doing whatever I decide to do, whether that be to try to improve or stay as I am. I think if we can both do that, we can keep this civil.

In the meantime, the next track isn't coming so I'm not going to rush it. It'll get done when it gets done. I'm in no hurry.

Have a great day.

PS - Some people really hate my singing even more than Vocaloid.
Of course Wags, that’s how it works!
Old 2 weeks ago
  #5646
Lives for gear
 
Zyzygis's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxwaves View Post
I'm eager to learn about recording. I've tinkered with music for over 50 years but DAW-based recording is still fairly new to me.

I agree about the lead guitar and vocals don't need to be on top of each other. I had a band for years and it was natural to stay off the vocals with the lead except for a few songs that really called for it.

I'm learning about recording from good folks such as you, books, online tutorials and the limited amount of time I have for hands-on trial and error. I've tried several Daws but stuck on Reaper and just recently discovered that you could loop a section and just track as many times as you want. Also, I've been reading about vocal comping and want to try that next time I record a song. So far, I've just recorded a vocal and that was it.

I'll try your techniques and am sure they will help me improve. Thanks again .
That’s the great thing, and the problem too, with DAWs, they allow us to take and retake endlessly until we are happy, or until we have so many options we get lost.
I use comping a lot to get the best out of all the parts together. It has really helped me with my recordings.
I might spend hours going through different combinations till I get what I consider a decent vocal or guitar track, only to re-record the whole thing again based on the comped version.
I also like that I can save different versions of the same song and go back if I need to.
I will often decide I liked a previous version better after a few days listening and comparing mix downs, or I preferred the drums in one version and the vocals in another. I can just load up the version I want, mix down the part or parts and create a stems folder from several saved versions to put together in a new arrangement.
So flexible, but needs good organising to be managed well.
Old 2 weeks ago
  #5647
Lives for gear
If you sent your music to a pro to critique, they would say stuff like "the lyrics are weak and the melodies a little cliche" (if that's what they thought) and you would be paying for them to tell you this. If you then sent them another song and they thought the same again, they would tell you the same again, they wouldn't think "oh, better not tell them that, as that's what I said last time and they will not want to hear that again". What would be the point of that, if they are trying to help you improve, then they will keep pointing out the same flaws. Now, another critic may say "great lyrics" which yes, can seem confusing, but that does not mean the first critic should change their opinion. You read 6 film reviews and 3 will love it and 3 will hate it.
Old 2 weeks ago
  #5648
Lives for gear
 
wagtunes's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Funk View Post
If you sent your music to a pro to critique, they would say stuff like "the lyrics are weak and the melodies a little cliche" (if that's what they thought) and you would be paying for them to tell you this. If you then sent them another song and they thought the same again, they would tell you the same again, they wouldn't think "oh, better not tell them that, as that's what I said last time and they will not want to hear that again". What would be the point of that, if they are trying to help you improve, then they will keep pointing out the same flaws. Now, another critic may say "great lyrics" which yes, can seem confusing, but that does not mean the first critic should change their opinion. You read 6 film reviews and 3 will love it and 3 will hate it.
Which is why I take every comment, good or bad, with a grain of salt. It's all just opinion. Years ago I'd bend over backwards to try to please the people who criticized my music. At my age, I'm done doing that because in the end, you're never going to please everybody. We all know that. Look at all the movies that have spent millions of dollars on production and get panned. I refuse to let myself get caught up in that crap anymore. If I like what I did, that's all that matters. Anyone else aside from myself that also likes it, that's just gravy.

My mother had a saying and she was a professional musician who made a living doing it for many years.

"To thine own self be true."

Along the way I've forgotten that. No more.
Old 2 weeks ago
  #5649
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by wagtunes View Post
Which is why I take every comment, good or bad, with a grain of salt. It's all just opinion. Years ago I'd bend over backwards to try to please the people who criticized my music. At my age, I'm done doing that because in the end, you're never going to please everybody. We all know that. Look at all the movies that have spent millions of dollars on production and get panned. I refuse to let myself get caught up in that crap anymore. If I like what I did, that's all that matters. Anyone else aside from myself that also likes it, that's just gravy.

My mother had a saying and she was a professional musician who made a living doing it for many years.

"To thine own self be true."

Along the way I've forgotten that. No more.
So just don't get offended when people tell you the same stuff over and over unless you feel they do it simply to victimise you, which would be wrong, but if they truly think what they are saying, then you have to accept it, as you are asking for opinions by posting on here. You don't have to agree with it, just accept that they are simply expressing their opinion, which you have asked for.

We are all too pleased to accept that the people who love what we do are right and those who don't are wrong.
Old 2 weeks ago
  #5650
Lives for gear
 
Zyzygis's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Funk View Post
So just don't get offended when people tell you the same stuff over and over unless you feel they do it simply to victimise you, which would be wrong, but if they truly think what they are saying, then you have to accept it, as you are asking for opinions by posting on here. You don't have to agree with it, just accept that they are simply expressing their opinion, which you have asked for.

We are all too pleased to accept that the people who love what we do are right and those who don't are wrong.
This, exactly.
“The road to mediocrity is paved with praise” is another saying worth remembering.
I continue to use this thread because of the fact that there are people here whose opinions I value and respect. They have proven to be a valuable second opinion to my own, which can easily get clouded by being too close to my own creations.
I am always grateful for the time and effort that others have put in to listen and comment on my music, even if I don’t always agree with what they say, I will always consider it. Other people’s time is valuable and I am always mindful that they have spent it on me.
I have given Wags more of my time than anyone else here, partly because he is SO demanding and needy and partly because I suspect that there’s so much more he can achieve. Regardless of how he has chosen to colour it I have tried to make it clear that I see potential in his work and I will always offer my opinions if I think they are of value.
Old 2 weeks ago
  #5651
Lives for gear
 
horseface's Avatar
*Posts song for critique*

*waits*

*Responds in a defensive way when it’s critiqued*

Old 2 weeks ago
  #5652
Lives for gear
 
wagtunes's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyzygis View Post
This, exactly.
“The road to mediocrity is paved with praise” is another saying worth remembering.
I continue to use this thread because of the fact that there are people here whose opinions I value and respect. They have proven to be a valuable second opinion to my own, which can easily get clouded by being too close to my own creations.
I am always grateful for the time and effort that others have put in to listen and comment on my music, even if I don’t always agree with what they say, I will always consider it. Other people’s time is valuable and I am always mindful that they have spent it on me.
I have given Wags more of my time than anyone else here, partly because he is SO demanding and needy and partly because I suspect that there’s so much more he can achieve. Regardless of how he has chosen to colour it I have tried to make it clear that I see potential in his work and I will always offer my opinions if I think they are of value.
I do hope you at least know that I can tell the difference between somebody who is truly trying to help and somebody who is just being a ******. I have always considered you and Kane two of the most knowledgeable and talented people here. Your music speaks for itself. Kane's so much that he inspired me to do a whole CD in his genre, even if I didn't pull off his sound.

I'd have to be a total ostrich to disagree with anything you've said. That's not the issue. The issue, and maybe I just should have acknowledged this from the start, is that I got the message. My lyrics are weak and my melodies are predictable, cheesy, uninteresting (have I left anything out?) and could be better. So it isn't necessary to keep reinforcing the point. In fact, you can save yourself some typing and just post "same issues" and leave it at that. And if by some miracle I make a track where you think my lyrics are good and my music isn't predictable, cheesy, uninteresting, whatever, you can then say "Hey, you did something good. Congrats." Or not. Trust me, I'm really not looking for praise from you.

Warner Kielwasser was one of my best friends growing up. We played in a wedding band together for a long time. He never once did anything but criticize my music. And for good reason. The guy was a music major, accomplished keyboardist and drummer and had more talent in his pinkie than I had in my whole body. Because of this, I never expected him to ever say anything nice to me and we got along just fine. We're friends to this day 40 years later. So please, don't feel like I'm hoping that someday I'll post something here that you'll really like. I'm not. You are my Warner Kielwasser of Gearslutz. I think we can coexist without anymore conflict. Kane made a good point. I can choose to do whatever I want with the advice given to me. But there's no reason to get defensive. And he's right. I never claimed to have any talent. I do music because it's fun. Never did it for a living and have no intentions of doing it for a living. Once it becomes a job, that's when it stops being fun. And I'm too old for that.

Maybe someday, just as it happened with my production ethic, I'll grow tired of writing bad lyrics and cheesy music. But until that day comes, I'm just going to do what I enjoy doing. "The Cowardly Lion" is going to be filled with bad lyrics and 3rds and 5ths. So there's no need to even bother listening to it. I like what I wrote. I'm not going to change it to make somebody else happy. I will accept the criticisms, say thank you, and move on. Because seriously, all these discussions are taking time away from my actually making music. And it nothing else but out of selfishness, I don't want to do that anymore. I want to spend more time making music and less time talking about it. So that's what I'm going to do.
Old 2 weeks ago
  #5653
Lives for gear
 
Zyzygis's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagtunes View Post
I do hope you at least know that I can tell the difference between somebody who is truly trying to help and somebody who is just being a ******.
It’s not always easy to tell from your posts. Perhaps you could try reading your post and imagining how it would come across to the person it is being directed at before you post. You often appear to be on the attack and use ad hominem or straw man arguments.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wagtunes View Post
I
I'd have to be a total ostrich to disagree with anything you've said. That's not the issue. The issue, and maybe I just should have acknowledged this from the start, is that I got the message. My lyrics are weak and my melodies are predictable, cheesy, uninteresting (have I left anything out?) and could be better. So it isn't necessary to keep reinforcing the point. In fact, you can save yourself some typing and just post "same issues" and leave it at that. And if by some miracle I make a track where you think my lyrics are good and my music isn't predictable, cheesy, uninteresting, whatever, you can then say "Hey, you did something good. Congrats." Or not. Trust me, I'm really not looking for praise from you.
Again you are projecting your insecurities, I only say those things where and when I perceive them to be the case. I think some of your earlier songs have really good lyrics and melodies and have said as much in this thread. Unfortunately that hasn’t been the case AFAIAC recently, where the production values have far outrun the musical qualities. That is why I feel you need to look more at these.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wagtunes View Post
I
You are my Warner Kielwasser of Gearslutz. I think we can coexist without anymore conflict.
Again projecting, I am not your Warner anyone, I am me. We can coexist without conflict, it’s what most of us have been doing, perhaps you’ll join us.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wag-tunes View Post
I
Maybe someday, just as it happened with my production ethic, I'll grow tired of writing bad lyrics and cheesy music. But until that day comes, I'm just going to do what I enjoy doing. "The Cowardly Lion" is going to be filled with bad lyrics and 3rds and 5ths. So there's no need to even bother listening to it. I like what I wrote. I'm not going to change it to make somebody else happy. I will accept the criticisms, say thank you, and move on. Because seriously, all these discussions are taking time away from my actually making music. And it nothing else but out of selfishness, I don't want to do that anymore. I want to spend more time making music and less time talking about it. So that's what I'm going to do.
I think you should do your best to make your lyrics and music as good as you can within the context of what you are doing. Those cheesy lyrics and presets might sound ‘good’ in one style of music and ‘bad’ in another.
Look back at the lyrics you wrote when you were a finalist in the songwriting competition and then try telling me that you write crap lyrics because you lack the talent. Sorry Wags it doesn’t wash.
Listen to The Clock on the Wall and tell me that you can’t write a good song, again doesn’t wash. That’s why I think you are being lazy concerning lyrics and melody at the moment. Take it or leave it.
Remember when you did the Botany Bay CD and I called you out on the cheesy brass preset that I said spoilt the mood of the track you posted? You were in total disagreement until everyone agreed with what I was saying and then you took it seriously. Problem is Wags you are not always the best judge of your own work, none of us are, and you would be well advised not to dismiss out of hand what others suggest, after all that is why we are here, oh wait, I seem to remember we’ve been here before.
Old 2 weeks ago
  #5654
Lives for gear
 
wagtunes's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyzygis View Post
It’s not always easy to tell from your posts. Perhaps you could try reading your post and imagining how it would come across to the person it is being directed at before you post. You often appear to be on the attack and use ad hominem or straw man arguments.

Again you are projecting your insecurities, I only say those things where and when I perceive them to be the case. I think some of your earlier songs have really good lyrics and melodies and have said as much in this thread. Unfortunately that hasn’t been the case AFAIAC recently, where the production values have far outrun the musical qualities. That is why I feel you need to look more at these.

Again projecting, I am not your Warner anyone, I am me. We can coexist without conflict, it’s what most of us have been doing, perhaps you’ll join us.

I think you should do your best to make your lyrics and music as good as you can within the context of what you are doing. Those cheesy lyrics and presets might sound ‘good’ in one style of music and ‘bad’ in another.
Look back at the lyrics you wrote when you were a finalist in the songwriting competition and then try telling me that you write crap lyrics because you lack the talent. Sorry Wags it doesn’t wash.
Listen to The Clock on the Wall and tell me that you can’t write a good song, again doesn’t wash. That’s why I think you are being lazy concerning lyrics and melody at the moment. Take it or leave it.
Remember when you did the Botany Bay CD and I called you out on the cheesy brass preset that I said spoilt the mood of the track you posted? You were in total disagreement until everyone agreed with what I was saying and then you took it seriously. Problem is Wags you are not always the best judge of your own work, none of us are, and you would be well advised not to dismiss out of hand what others suggest, after all that is why we are here, oh wait, I seem to remember we’ve been here before.
Naturally we are all too close to our own work. It's our children. And nobody likes being told that their children are brats, especially when we know we're brats.

Wow, I didn't even know you liked "The Clock On The Wall". Yes, one of my favorite songs, probably ever. But you're not going to write that kind of stuff when doing a Trance track. It would be laughable. And I think that's part of the problem. A lot of the music I do doesn't really lend itself to deep profound lyrics. It would be almost comical. I mean have you listened to some of the lyrics of popular songs that have been huge hits?

I'm trying to find that one sung by that one female singer. Something about a dirty ho. Can't remember her name.

Naturally that's an extreme case, but there's plenty of stuff out there that isn't what I would call "class". But the words fit the music and it works. I may find them stupid or even offensive, but obviously based on sales and airplay, a great many people like that stuff.

I guess what I'm trying to say is not everything I write has to be "The Clock On The Wall" or the song I entered into that contest that I was a finalist for. And that song wasn't even recorded well at all. Had it been, who knows? I might have even won.

Many years ago I wrote a song called "Caveman Love"

Look at these ridiculous lyrics.

Get up in the morning brush my teeth with a stick
Use some underarm spray
Let out the cat and I ate the dog
Then I took a s**t and a shave

Then I went out to Old Rock Mountain
To find me a woman in heat
Bashed in her brains with a Louisville slugger
Man that date was cheap.

Ugh, ugh, caveman love
Ugh, ugh, caveman love
Ugh, ugh, caveman love
Ugh, ugh, ugh ugh

The whole thing was 3 chords. My friend Richard, who has a very deep voice, did the caveman part.

The response from the "public" was flat out hysterical. They were laughing so hard that tears were coming down their face.

Now those are no great lyrics by any stretch of the imagination. But to this day it's one of my most memorable songs. Unfortunately, it's such an old recording that I don't have it in digital form and can't upload it.

Do I think it's a great piece of music or lyrical writing? Of course not. But damn, if everybody didn't love that song. Go figure.

Again, not everything has to be worthy of Paul McCartney or Paul Simon. There's a place in this world for stupidity too.
Old 2 weeks ago
  #5655
Lives for gear
 
Zyzygis's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagtunes View Post
Naturally we are all too close to our own work. It's our children. And nobody likes being told that their children are brats, especially when we know we're brats.

Wow, I didn't even know you liked "The Clock On The Wall". Yes, one of my favorite songs, probably ever. But you're not going to write that kind of stuff when doing a Trance track. It would be laughable. And I think that's part of the problem. A lot of the music I do doesn't really lend itself to deep profound lyrics. It would be almost comical. I mean have you listened to some of the lyrics of popular songs that have been huge hits?

I'm trying to find that one sung by that one female singer. Something about a dirty ho. Can't remember her name.

Naturally that's an extreme case, but there's plenty of stuff out there that isn't what I would call "class". But the words fit the music and it works. I may find them stupid or even offensive, but obviously based on sales and airplay, a great many people like that stuff.

I guess what I'm trying to say is not everything I write has to be "The Clock On The Wall" or the song I entered into that contest that I was a finalist for. And that song wasn't even recorded well at all. Had it been, who knows? I might have even won.

Many years ago I wrote a song called "Caveman Love"

Look at these ridiculous lyrics.

Get up in the morning brush my teeth with a stick
Use some underarm spray
Let out the cat and I ate the dog
Then I took a s**t and a shave

Then I went out to Old Rock Mountain
To find me a woman in heat
Bashed in her brains with a Louisville slugger
Man that date was cheap.

Ugh, ugh, caveman love
Ugh, ugh, caveman love
Ugh, ugh, caveman love
Ugh, ugh, ugh ugh

The whole thing was 3 chords. My friend Richard, who has a very deep voice, did the caveman part.

The response from the "public" was flat out hysterical. They were laughing so hard that tears were coming down their face.

Now those are no great lyrics by any stretch of the imagination. But to this day it's one of my most memorable songs. Unfortunately, it's such an old recording that I don't have it in digital form and can't upload it.

Do I think it's a great piece of music or lyrical writing? Of course not. But damn, if everybody didn't love that song. Go figure.

Again, not everything has to be worthy of Paul McCartney or Paul Simon. There's a place in this world for stupidity too.
Like I said, take it or leave it.
Now, I am uncomfortably aware that the thread has become all about you once again and that will be taking space away from others who want to use this thread to post their works in progress. I suggest that we end this rather pointless and repetitive discussion of the blatantly obvious and we get back to more creative things.
Old 2 weeks ago
  #5656
Lives for gear
 
wagtunes's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyzygis View Post
Like I said, take it or leave it.
Now, I am uncomfortably aware that the thread has become all about you once again and that will be taking space away from others who want to use this thread to post their works in progress. I suggest that we end this rather pointless and repetitive discussion of the blatantly obvious and we get back to more creative things.
Fine with me. Enjoy the rest of your day.
Old 2 weeks ago
  #5657
Gear Maniac
 
jugetsu85's Avatar
YOUR HALO remix

Lately I've been collaborating with a rock/metal drummer and I remixed a recent Fo27 track called "YOUR HALO" with all new drum tracks I got from him. There was no room mic so I had set up a virtual room sound with a reverb plugin. When mixing the drums I wanted them to sound punchy and gritty, something a little like the drumsc on Korn's first album (YouTube). Let me know how you like the drum mix?

In remixing this track I wanted to a get raw heavy sound while having the vocal parts remain clear and in the spotlight. Take a listen and leave a comment?

All feedback is crucial in getting my music release ready. Here is 320kpbs "self-mastered" MP3 for you to check out.

Thanks, JJ
Attached Files

YOUR HALO.mp3 (8.86 MB, 298 views)

Old 2 weeks ago
  #5658
Lives for gear
 
wagtunes's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jugetsu85 View Post
Lately I've been collaborating with a rock/metal drummer and I remixed a recent Fo27 track called "YOUR HALO" with all new drum tracks I got from him. There was no room mic so I had set up a virtual room sound with a reverb plugin. When mixing the drums I wanted them to sound punchy and gritty, something a little like the drumsc on Korn's first album (YouTube). Let me know how you like the drum mix?

In remixing this track I wanted to a get raw heavy sound while having the vocal parts remain clear and in the spotlight. Take a listen and leave a comment?

All feedback is crucial in getting my music release ready. Here is 320kpbs "self-mastered" MP3 for you to check out.

Thanks, JJ
Well, I'm no expert on mastering so take my comments with a very small grain of salt.

If I could do something that sounded this well mixed, I'd have a career in music.

Mind you, I'm not overly critical. But this sounds as good as anything I've heard on the radio. My only complaint, and I don't know if this is something you can fix in today's day and age, is that the sound is too clean for the kind of song it is. I'd like to hear some tape hiss, wow, flutter, something that doesn't scream digital recording. For me, hard rock like this was meant to be recorded on analog equipment. That's what's missing for me. But on a technical level, I hear nothing wrong.

Now, the song itself needs a stronger hook if it's going to be a hit. I'm pretty much crap when it comes to just about anything to do with making music, but I know a killer hook when I hear it and this song doesn't have it. It's a good B side or album filler but that's about it. But then there aren't a lot of songs posted here that have killer hooks. Songwriting is a PITA.

But I can't find any fault with the recording other than my wishes for it to not sound so clean.
Old 2 weeks ago
  #5659
Gear Addict
 
clump's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jugetsu85 View Post
Lately I've been collaborating with a rock/metal drummer and I remixed a recent Fo27 track called "YOUR HALO" with all new drum tracks I got from him. There was no room mic so I had set up a virtual room sound with a reverb plugin. When mixing the drums I wanted them to sound punchy and gritty, something a little like the drumsc on Korn's first album (YouTube). Let me know how you like the drum mix?

In remixing this track I wanted to a get raw heavy sound while having the vocal parts remain clear and in the spotlight. Take a listen and leave a comment?

All feedback is crucial in getting my music release ready. Here is 320kpbs "self-mastered" MP3 for you to check out.

Thanks, JJ
Mix sounds great to me.....have to say though, some of the drum fills into the changes sound like they don't quite hit the mark, could be my ears but they sound slightly rushed?.....the fill at 01.08 really jumps out at me.

Like the overall feel though, reminds me of The Mission's early stuff
Old 2 weeks ago
  #5660
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by jugetsu85 View Post
Lately I've been collaborating with a rock/metal drummer and I remixed a recent Fo27 track called "YOUR HALO"
Thanks, JJ
Nice to see you collaborating.
Old 2 weeks ago
  #5661
Gear Maniac
 
jugetsu85's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by wagtunes View Post
Well, I'm no expert on mastering so take my comments with a very small grain of salt.

If I could do something that sounded this well mixed, I'd have a career in music.
Hey Steven thank you for the very encouraging words, I truly appreciate them. You know this is what I love to do and I guess sometimes that love comes through in the form of a decent mix for a DIY guy like me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagtunes View Post

Now, the song itself needs a stronger hook if it's going to be a hit. I'm pretty much crap when it comes to just about anything to do with making music, but I know a killer hook when I hear it and this song doesn't have it. It's a good B side or album filler but that's about it. But then there aren't a lot of songs posted here that have killer hooks. Songwriting is a PITA.
Yes this song is not meant to be put out as a single. My plan right now is to pair it with a bit more "commercial" sounding song "Lost With You" that I posted earlier. The drums just need to be recorded and remixed for that song as well to get a coherent tone. I've gotten a lot of good feedback for the songwriting on that one, so maybe they'll work nicely together.

But frankly speaking I don't know if there is any hit potential with music like this these days, but of course I would hope as many people as possible to find my music once I get to properly releasing it!

Thanks @The Noodlist , I am very happy about this collaboration as well, I think it is taking my music to the next level!

Thank you checking out the song @clump ! And you are right about that fill at 1:08, it is a little shaky as it is..
Old 2 weeks ago
  #5662
Here for the gear
 

Hey there!

I'm just looking for some feedback about my silly song about Takis.

Takis by Lighthouserock | Joey Moyer | Free Listening on SoundCloud

Thanks!
Old 1 week ago
  #5663
Gear Addict
 
YourBestFriend's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by jugetsu85 View Post
Lately I've been collaborating with a rock/metal drummer and I remixed a recent Fo27 track called "YOUR HALO" with all new drum tracks I got from him. There was no room mic so I had set up a virtual room sound with a reverb plugin. When mixing the drums I wanted them to sound punchy and gritty, something a little like the drumsc on Korn's first album (YouTube). Let me know how you like the drum mix?

In remixing this track I wanted to a get raw heavy sound while having the vocal parts remain clear and in the spotlight. Take a listen and leave a comment?

All feedback is crucial in getting my music release ready. Here is 320kpbs "self-mastered" MP3 for you to check out.

Thanks, JJ
if you close your eyes and listen to the drums, the drummer sounds like he is playing his set inside racquetball court or a basketball. the kick needs chest thump, the drums sound out of phase, especially the symbols, but im becoming a phase freak. as far as artistic standpoint, itd be cool if you recorded several songs, in a band type setting.
Old 1 week ago
  #5664
Gear Maniac
 
jugetsu85's Avatar
Thanks @YourBestFriend once again for checking out the song and giving feedback!

Quote:
Originally Posted by YourBestFriend View Post
if you close your eyes and listen to the drums, the drummer sounds like he is playing his set inside racquetball court or a basketball
I'll try if tweaking the overall tone of the kit more dry is beneficial.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YourBestFriend View Post
the kick needs chest thump
Yeah I would say that there is some room left for a bit of an EQ boost at the upper low-end region! Thanks for the note. I am not sure where you think the chest thump sits at the frequency range, but frankly speaking I am not sure I can push the 60hz region much further...

Quote:
Originally Posted by YourBestFriend View Post
the drums sound out of phase, especially the symbols, but im becoming a phase freak.
I would say that you are hearing phase issues in your head now, really

Quote:
as far as artistic standpoint, itd be cool if you recorded several songs, in a band type setting.
I agree 100%
Old 1 week ago
  #5665
Gear Head
 
Hold the Mayo's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jugetsu85 View Post
Lately I've been collaborating with a rock/metal drummer and I remixed a recent Fo27 track called "YOUR HALO" with all new drum tracks I got from him. There was no room mic so I had set up a virtual room sound with a reverb plugin. When mixing the drums I wanted them to sound punchy and gritty, something a little like the drumsc on Korn's first album (YouTube). Let me know how you like the drum mix?

In remixing this track I wanted to a get raw heavy sound while having the vocal parts remain clear and in the spotlight. Take a listen and leave a comment?

All feedback is crucial in getting my music release ready. Here is 320kpbs "self-mastered" MP3 for you to check out.

Thanks, JJ
Good song JJ. Couple of things I noticed, the bass sounds like it's having trouble staying in tune down that low. Drums could have been played looser, maybe no click.
Vocals and guitar sounded great
Old 1 week ago
  #5666
Lives for gear
 
wagtunes's Avatar
 

Next track from my upcoming CD "The Wyzyrd Of Trance"

Some composition and production notes as well as my personal opinion taking a critical look at the piece.

Composition: Track is actually more ambient than Trance. In fact, it's two ambient sections with a trance like section sandwiched in between. So the structure, by itself, may not work for a lot of people. Musically, the ambient sections are just eerie and strange. The Trance section is eerie but not so strange. It's pretty much one "hook" after another. The contrast between the sections may be too drastic for some. I could certainly understand that. But this is the direction I ultimately wanted to take with the song. My guess would be that most people will probably prefer the ambient section and had made a whole song just from that. At one point I had an orchestral ending planned that I ultimately scrapped and decided to go with the more subdued ending.

Production: A lot of work went into this, though it may be hard to tell at times because so much of what was done is so transparent. But the things that stand out the most are the choice of going more mid range and hi end than low end. The kick and bass are relatively subdued for a "Trance" track. This was a deliberate choice because the heavier low end just didn't work against the ambient sections. Also, when going through the spectral analysis, I did something I don't normally do. Usually, if the SPAN is close to level, I'll leave the slight peaks. But this time I made a note of every resonant peak that was even a little off and went in with the EQ and carved it out. With the emphasized high end, this made for a very airy piece. However, I didn't go crazy with the reverb on this one. I could have gone with a bigger sound but decided against it.

For me, the piano and synths in the ambient section are perfect. And by itself could have been a great track. The middle section, because I went with a more subdued sound, probably doesn't work as well on its own but fits in better with the rest of the track. It was a balancing act and I had to make some difficult decisions.

So though I probably worked harder on this track than all the others, I can't say with absolutely certainty that it's the best so far. It simply may just not work for people, and that's before we even get to the Vocaloid part.

On a scale of 1-10, I give this a 7. I'm not sure, given the decided on structure, if it can even be any better. But it's ultimately what I wanted to do and after wrestling with this track for days, decided it was best to release it as it is.

I am actually curious to know what people think. Does this work for you? Too strange? Too contrasting between the two parts? I can absolutely understand this getting some major thumbs down. It was an experiment.

Anyway, here it is. Fire away!

The Cowardly Lion

What are you afraid of
Show us what you're made of
Shadows are where fear begins
Scares you right out of your skin
Cowardly lion
Cowardly lion
Cowardly lion

Old 1 week ago
  #5667
Lives for gear
 
foxwaves's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagtunes View Post
Next track from my upcoming CD "The Wyzyrd Of Trance"

Some composition and production notes as well as my personal opinion taking a critical look at the piece.

Composition: Track is actually more ambient than Trance. In fact, it's two ambient sections with a trance like section sandwiched in between. So the structure, by itself, may not work for a lot of people. Musically, the ambient sections are just eerie and strange. The Trance section is eerie but not so strange. It's pretty much one "hook" after another. The contrast between the sections may be too drastic for some. I could certainly understand that. But this is the direction I ultimately wanted to take with the song. My guess would be that most people will probably prefer the ambient section and had made a whole song just from that. At one point I had an orchestral ending planned that I ultimately scrapped and decided to go with the more subdued ending.

Production: A lot of work went into this, though it may be hard to tell at times because so much of what was done is so transparent. But the things that stand out the most are the choice of going more mid range and hi end than low end. The kick and bass are relatively subdued for a "Trance" track. This was a deliberate choice because the heavier low end just didn't work against the ambient sections. Also, when going through the spectral analysis, I did something I don't normally do. Usually, if the SPAN is close to level, I'll leave the slight peaks. But this time I made a note of every resonant peak that was even a little off and went in with the EQ and carved it out. With the emphasized high end, this made for a very airy piece. However, I didn't go crazy with the reverb on this one. I could have gone with a bigger sound but decided against it.

For me, the piano and synths in the ambient section are perfect. And by itself could have been a great track. The middle section, because I went with a more subdued sound, probably doesn't work as well on its own but fits in better with the rest of the track. It was a balancing act and I had to make some difficult decisions.

So though I probably worked harder on this track than all the others, I can't say with absolutely certainty that it's the best so far. It simply may just not work for people, and that's before we even get to the Vocaloid part.

On a scale of 1-10, I give this a 7. I'm not sure, given the decided on structure, if it can even be any better. But it's ultimately what I wanted to do and after wrestling with this track for days, decided it was best to release it as it is.

I am actually curious to know what people think. Does this work for you? Too strange? Too contrasting between the two parts? I can absolutely understand this getting some major thumbs down. It was an experiment.

Anyway, here it is. Fire away!

The Cowardly Lion

What are you afraid of
Show us what you're made of
Shadows are where fear begins
Scares you right out of your skin
Cowardly lion
Cowardly lion
Cowardly lion

Again, I'm not acquainted with this type of music so can't critique. But otherwise it seems to be well structured and executed and it makes me think of a soundtrack to a film. I think you'd do well with film soundtracks. Some folks apparently take old movies and add their own soundtracks, and I guess that could be good for grins and giggles if time allowed.
Old 1 week ago
  #5668
Lives for gear
 
wagtunes's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxwaves View Post
Again, I'm not acquainted with this type of music so can't critique. But otherwise it seems to be well structured and executed and it makes me think of a soundtrack to a film. I think you'd do well with film soundtracks. Some folks apparently take old movies and add their own soundtracks, and I guess that could be good for grins and giggles if time allowed.
Thanks for the listen Fox. Yeah, at one time I wanted to do soundtrack work but decided against it.
Old 1 week ago
  #5669
Lives for gear
 
Zyzygis's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagtunes View Post
Next track from my upcoming CD "The Wyzyrd Of Trance"

Some composition and production notes as well as my personal opinion taking a critical look at the piece.

Composition: Track is actually more ambient than Trance. In fact, it's two ambient sections with a trance like section sandwiched in between. So the structure, by itself, may not work for a lot of people. Musically, the ambient sections are just eerie and strange. The Trance section is eerie but not so strange. It's pretty much one "hook" after another. The contrast between the sections may be too drastic for some. I could certainly understand that. But this is the direction I ultimately wanted to take with the song. My guess would be that most people will probably prefer the ambient section and had made a whole song just from that. At one point I had an orchestral ending planned that I ultimately scrapped and decided to go with the more subdued ending.

Production: A lot of work went into this, though it may be hard to tell at times because so much of what was done is so transparent. But the things that stand out the most are the choice of going more mid range and hi end than low end. The kick and bass are relatively subdued for a "Trance" track. This was a deliberate choice because the heavier low end just didn't work against the ambient sections. Also, when going through the spectral analysis, I did something I don't normally do. Usually, if the SPAN is close to level, I'll leave the slight peaks. But this time I made a note of every resonant peak that was even a little off and went in with the EQ and carved it out. With the emphasized high end, this made for a very airy piece. However, I didn't go crazy with the reverb on this one. I could have gone with a bigger sound but decided against it.

For me, the piano and synths in the ambient section are perfect. And by itself could have been a great track. The middle section, because I went with a more subdued sound, probably doesn't work as well on its own but fits in better with the rest of the track. It was a balancing act and I had to make some difficult decisions.

So though I probably worked harder on this track than all the others, I can't say with absolutely certainty that it's the best so far. It simply may just not work for people, and that's before we even get to the Vocaloid part.

On a scale of 1-10, I give this a 7. I'm not sure, given the decided on structure, if it can even be any better. But it's ultimately what I wanted to do and after wrestling with this track for days, decided it was best to release it as it is.

I am actually curious to know what people think. Does this work for you? Too strange? Too contrasting between the two parts? I can absolutely understand this getting some major thumbs down. It was an experiment.

Anyway, here it is. Fire away!

The Cowardly Lion

What are you afraid of
Show us what you're made of
Shadows are where fear begins
Scares you right out of your skin
Cowardly lion
Cowardly lion
Cowardly lion

Prefer this to the previous track.
I like the atmospheric parts a lot but wish there was more depth, reverb just puts it in a space but the sounds are all too upfront. Use size and frequency to imply distances. Everything is big and fighting for attention so some potential for more involvement is lost.
Quite liked the Trance parts but I felt there needed to be more to discover, again it is all upfront and all hook which is fine if the hook is enough to grab me, in this case I don’t think it was. It’s not bad just that once I heard it I knew it and it became predictable. Some thematic development and melodic twists would help, even just a modulation shifting the bass beneath the lead would lift it to another level IMO.
The vocalvoid seemed utterly pointless to me and made me laugh as it just seemed like a cartoon pony entered from another track by mistake. The lyrics were mostly unintelligible which was a good thing AFAIAC.
Old 1 week ago
  #5670
Lives for gear
 
Zyzygis's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popnfrsh24 View Post
Hey there!

I'm just looking for some feedback about my silly song about Takis.

Takis by Lighthouserock | Joey Moyer | Free Listening on SoundCloud

Thanks!
Ha! Very fun. I am not a great fan of rap but this is really good. Slightly muddy and tubby in the lower mids and perhaps could do with a little more instrumentation like a pad sound but good work nonetheless.
Great lyrics and delivery.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
dhollmusik / Electronic Music Instruments and Electronic Music Production
15
linchpin123 / Work In Progress / Advice Requested / Show and Tell / Artist Showcase / Mix-Offs
1
ianvargo / Work In Progress / Advice Requested / Show and Tell / Artist Showcase / Mix-Offs
4
dagg / So much gear, so little time
8
Mr Funk / Work In Progress / Advice Requested / Show and Tell / Artist Showcase / Mix-Offs
10

Forum Jump
Forum Jump