The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Post your rough demos Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 1 week ago
@wagtunes
You should try either
- A cover album
- A children’s album
- A disco themed album
- Something like my music https://soundcloud.com/pigeon-city (if you have any questions on what I use, I have FL Studio 12, 359 VSTs mostly freeware, and the following hardware gear, Casio WK-7600 and SK-1, Yamaha PSR-e443 and MX49, and a Korg Minilogue which is my newest acquisition. My most used VST has to be Dexed and the Full Bucket Music plugins).
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Bird View Post
@wagtunes
You should try either
- A cover album
- A children’s album
- A disco themed album
- Something like my music https://soundcloud.com/pigeon-city (if you have any questions on what I use, I have FL Studio 12, 359 VSTs mostly freeware, and the following hardware gear, Casio WK-7600 and SK-1, Yamaha PSR-e443 and MX49, and a Korg Minilogue which is my newest acquisition. My most used VST has to be Dexed and the Full Bucket Music plugins).
Thanks for the suggestions.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagtunes View Post
No, not at all. In fact, I'll probably be starting my next project sometime this week. I just need to come up with an idea unless somebody has one. Not a lot that I haven't done.
Here you go, Bro. Wag: https://youtu.be/gw4sZmeFoa8
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxwaves View Post
Here you go, Bro. Wag: https://youtu.be/gw4sZmeFoa8
While they were one of my favorite groups growing up, that's sure to drive everybody away.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyzygis View Post
I think that the melody is very weak and the lyrics leave me cold. You have a wonderful ability to orchestrate and at times you create music which inspires me, but your lyrics often feel to me like they are thrown together without much thought or effort. I don’t like the way you let the rhyming structure dictate the syntax, it often leads to a clumsy sentence structure which comes across as forced.
You have certainly written better lyrics than this IMO.
Melody wise it’s just boring. Where the music is creating subtle shades of melancholy and yearning (Marvin was a master at that) the vocal melody just doesn’t have any emotional impact for me. Apart from the robotic sound, which would be very hard to make sound emotional, the notes themselves don’t carry enough emotion.
A melody needs to lead the listeners along a path and reveal different aspects of the musical landscape. Sometimes it stumbles and falls and sometimes it soars overhead.
The best lyrics reveal a deeper meaning to the lyrics and touch the soul directly.
This was especially true of Marvin who was always passionate in his delivery.

In terms of the legal consequences of releasing this, well you have a problem.
The Thicke case set a precedent that the style of an artist can be copyrighted.
Here you have clearly stated your intention to copy Marvin Gaye so you would probably pay out handsomely if you and Kane did release it.
Valid criticisms of my music aside, this is laughable. Yeah, Marvin Gaye's estate is going to come after Kane and me for the MAYBE couple a hundred bucks we make off of this tune, if that. It'll cost them more in legal fees than what they'll get if they win.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

IMO the best way to check if a song, meaning the lyric and melody, is good is to listen to the vocal without any backing or just the minimum, percussion or single instrument. You can quickly hear if it carries the idea successfully or not.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Valid criticisms of my music aside, this is laughable. Yeah, Marvin Gaye's estate is going to come after Kane and me for the MAYBE couple a hundred bucks we make off of this tune, if that. It'll cost them more in legal fees than what they'll get if they win.
It’s laughable as it is at the moment, I agree, but if Kane was to work his magic on it, with better lyrics and real singing, who knows?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
It’s laughable as it is at the moment, I agree, but if Kane was to work his magic on it, with better lyrics and real singing, who knows?
Worst case scenario is that the estate demands 50% of the royalties. I'm pretty sure that's what Thick ended up paying. He certainly didn't lose every penny he made from the song. If the money was that significant, I wouldn't even contest it. I'd just pay them. In fact, if we really thought that this had ANY potential to be a big hit, I would contact the estate BEFORE we even released it, tell them that we're doing this as a tribute to their father and want to sign a contract with them giving them 50% of whatever is made. Trust me. I could write the kind of letter to them telling them about how much I admired and loved Marvin Gaye growing up as a child that they'd be flat out moved to tears and gladly accept my offer. And I don't think Kane would have a problem with that either.

But before any of that, let Kane work his magic, turn this into a decent song, and see what happens.

Because right now, as things stand, this whole conversation is laughable.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
IMO the best way to check if a song, meaning the lyric and melody, is good is to listen to the vocal without any backing or just the minimum, percussion or single instrument. You can quickly hear if it carries the idea successfully or not.
FTR, I just listened to the entire CD, including the last track. I love it. I think the melody actually fits perfectly. Hey, we have different tastes. Doesn't mean you're wrong and I'm right. Taste is subjective.

Not everybody loved the Beatles.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
While they were one of my favorite groups growing up, that's sure to drive everybody away.
Ah-ha! Now we know the root of your robotic romance!

Good job, my friend!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxwaves View Post
Ah-ha! Now we know the root of your robotic romance!

Good job, my friend!
Thanks. Wonder where Kane ran off to? Probably doesn't want anything to do with this train wreck. LOL.

It's all good. I'm happy with the CD I just made. That's really all that matters.

Anyway, I think my next project is going to be sugary pop. Like Britney Spears kind of stuff.

Always loved her song Lucky.

Maybe I'll do stuff like this.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
No, no, still here, just been incredibly busy at work.

I will definitely do something with this track, I just need to wait till I can give it some proper attention and concentration, so you may have to wait a while, although I now you don't like to hang around! hehe

As for "taking it to my band". I don't actually have a band, although I am hoping to put one together. I do all my productions myself and get friends to replace parts for me with real instruments here and there, which I can also do here.

So, when I have the time, I will certainly have a go with this and another one off the album. I am definitely proud and flattered that I inspired you to do this album, as really am. It's quite surreal. Please send me all the tracks sometime.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Funk View Post
No, no, still here, just been incredibly busy at work.

I will definitely do something with this track, I just need to wait till I can give it some proper attention and concentration, so you may have to wait a while, although I now you don't like to hang around! hehe

As for "taking it to my band". I don't actually have a band, although I am hoping to put one together. I do all my productions myself and get friends to replace parts for me with real instruments here and there, which I can also do here.

So, when I have the time, I will certainly have a go with this and another one off the album. I am definitely proud and flattered that I inspired you to do this album, as really am. It's quite surreal. Please send me all the tracks sometime.
Will do. I'll put them into a zip file, upload them to my site, and PM you a link to download them. They'll be in MP3 format. I'll then provide you with any musical information that you need though I have not transcribed any of this stuff to sheet music yet and if I do, it'll be in Finale. I can make PDFs out of them from there so they are readable, and if you want I can also create MIDI files. Just let me know what you need.

In the meantime, I'm working on a contest entry now and then I'll be starting on my next project which I think is going to be a synthwave project, very similar to the 80s one. I'll be featuring a particular drum sample library on that one and hopefully I can get the dev to showcase my CD when it's done. I like the sound of the library and it's fairly cheap at $49 for over 100 kits.

Anyway, that's about it for now. No rush on the songs. Whenever you get to them. It was fun trying to be Kane Williams for a while.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

With everybody screaming for instrumentals, here's one I just put together for a song contest. The theme is sports championships. I submitted this as a possible theme for the Indianapolis 500.

Hope you like. No Vocaloid on this one.

Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
With everybody screaming for instrumentals, here's one I just put together for a song contest. The theme is sports championships. I submitted this as a possible theme for the Indianapolis 500.

Hope you like. No Vocaloid on this one.

It sounds like there are dropped beats in each of the brassy sections, when you also have the tom/drum sound. Either that or you've switched to an odd time signature on those parts; but it feels more like a dropped beat.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen L T View Post
It sounds like there are dropped beats in each of the brassy sections, when you also have the tom/drum sound. Either that or you've switched to an odd time signature on those parts; but it feels more like a dropped beat.
No dropped beats. Just some funky timing. Won't be everybody's cup of tea.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

This is a comment on Time Is Time from KVR copied and pasted exactly as it was posted.

Quote:
"Time Is Time" is catchy melody :love:
I can't understand most of the lyrics, so I thank you for providing them.
This is what I like about hearing vocaloid productions. The voice is just a lead instrument to me, for my feelings. Despite my addiction to spotting fallacies in political rhetoric when dealing with authoritarians IRL, I mostly just like to feel good, and this song helps me feel just dandy right now.

Seems like a long time ago I took a look at producing with Vocaloid. I wanted to sound like a sexy diva (I love to sing Kelly Clarkson songs. Oh yes. I want to flip gender on a whim. I truly do.) But it was more work than I could manage. I commend you for struggling through it.
I want to point to the first line for those who feel the melody is poor.

Like I said, this is all subjective.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
This is a comment on Time Is Time from KVR copied and pasted exactly as it was posted.

I want to point to the first line for those who feel the melody is poor.

Like I said, this is all subjective.
Those?
You mean me?
Yes, I think it’s poor and the lyrics are weak. In fact the poster on KVR made a point of saying that he couldn’t hear the lyrics clearly and that they didn’t matter to him at all anyway but he thought the melody was “catchy” and that he is a fan of vocaloid.
Like I said, I think (subjectively) that the music is very good but IMO the lyrics and melody are weak. It sounds to me like you spent very little time on them.

If, as you say, you are perfectly happy with them then why does it matter what someone on KVR says anyway? It won’t change my opinion and you have to decide for yourself if you want to improve your songwriting or you have already reached your limit creatively in that area.
If it’s all just subjective anyway what is the point of you posting here?
This is giving me a sense of deja vu.
This thread is for people to get critical feedback on their rough mixes, this is not a competition and you don’t need to prove anything.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Those?
You mean me?
Yes, I think it’s poor and the lyrics are weak. In fact the poster on KVR made a point of saying that he couldn’t hear the lyrics clearly and that they didn’t matter to him at all anyway but he thought the melody was “catchy” and that he is a fan of vocaloid.
Like I said, I think (subjectively) that the music is very good but IMO the lyrics and melody are weak. It sounds to me like you spent very little time on them.

If, as you say, you are perfectly happy with them then why does it matter what someone on KVR says anyway? It won’t change my opinion and you have to decide for yourself if you want to improve your songwriting or you have already reached your limit creatively in that area.
If it’s all just subjective anyway what is the point of you posting here?
This is giving me a sense of deja vu.
This thread is for people to get critical feedback on their rough mixes, this is not a competition and you don’t need to prove anything.
You know, I had a big long response to this but finally realized, eh. Not worth anymore discussion.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Another jam
Attached Files

LIGHTING STRIKING (New).mp3 (9.80 MB, 206 views)

Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjogo View Post
Another jam
I like the acoustics on this one. Reminds me of the jams I used to do with the guys when I was a kid.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I like the acoustics on this one. Reminds me of the jams I used to do with the guys when I was a kid.
Thanks for listening .. always kids in this studio > well 60's and wishing --- Circle of 4 drummers -- guitar -- and chanting YouTube

Last edited by cjogo; 1 week ago at 05:13 AM..
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

New CD --
Attached Files

ANGEL.mp3 (7.40 MB, 191 views)

Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
New CD --
Reminds me a little bit of Elliot Murphy.

Guessing this hasn't been mastered yet. Vocals seem a bit dry and buried a bit. Of course if this was done intentionally, disregard my comment. Guitars are nice. Strings at end could definitely be louder. All in all, it was nice. A little on the raw side. Again, if this was intentional, disregard my comment.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
New CD --
Yeah, Wags is right about the lead vocal. If you close your eyes and picture it relative to the guitar fills that are up the middle, the vocals are very much playing second fiddle, as it were.

Lead vocal needs to come up around 3dB. Once it's up there, it may need some tucking in with some levelling-type compression, and perhaps some tonal adjustments eq-wise - a little less low mid, a little more presence and a little more air.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Reminds me a little bit of Elliot Murphy.

Guessing this hasn't been mastered yet. Vocals seem a bit dry and buried a bit. Of course if this was done intentionally, disregard my comment. Guitars are nice. Strings at end could definitely be louder. All in all, it was nice. A little on the raw side. Again, if this was intentional, disregard my comment.
Thanks for the comments ::

Scenario ~~

This middle-aged gent played a little guitar as teen in the 70's ... started back up just last year >> wrote his first song in September .. came to us for tracking.

So, a tad-bit shy of singing ... really a 80's hard rocker > took a bit of coaxing to let me put string arrangements on.

The vocal has 4 mono effects -- maybe I will bring up those sends .. Raw maybe because its one take -- and first time in a studio for him.

I put the drums on post a few weeks later ..

Last edited by cjogo; 1 week ago at 01:48 AM..
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen L T View Post
Yeah, Wags is right about the lead vocal. If you close your eyes and picture it relative to the guitar fills that are up the middle, the vocals are very much playing second fiddle, as it were.

Lead vocal needs to come up around 3dB. Once it's up there, it may need some tucking in with some levelling-type compression, and perhaps some tonal adjustments eq-wise - a little less low mid, a little more presence and a little more air.
Good ears --OWEN ... will apply a smidgen more of the comp & add a little more air on that vocal ..
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Nearly all of my recording in the last few years is studio experimentation for fun. A few nights ago, myself and my writing partner decided to lay down a basic groove-riff-vocal song with basic mics. I had a drum beat and a riff, and he had lyrics and the voice.
Drums are three mics... D112 in the kick into a Scarlett 18i20 pre, and two 214's over my shoulder into two Grace 501's.
All guitars are played with a cheap 110 € Squire Strat, Blues Jr., SM 57 into Grace.
Bass is a Warwick Thumb fretless direct into Grace 501.
Vocals are SM7 into Grace.
Keys are an old Wurly (the little Wurly speaker miced) into a 57 into a Grace.

Took about two hours start to bounce. I played all, drums first, then guitars, bass and keys. Then he sang.
All tracks run through an ART Pro VLA II going in. Light compression on all, except bypassed for drum overheads.
Pro Tools with a touch of Maxim on master channel.
Only EQ is a touch on the kick in an attempt to lose the uglier frequencies that the overheads are polluting in. Didn't want to EQ the overheads. Took out too much snare body to fix the kick pollution bleed.

Warning. Parental Advisory...
Attached Files

SkrFknWnMP3.mp3 (5.68 MB, 136 views)

Old 6 days ago
Gear Head
Quote:
New CD --
I like it, and enjoyed listening to it.
It reminds me of Neil Young and The Marshall Tucker Band.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search