Post your rough demos
Old 2nd May 2018
Lives for gear

Thanks guys. Much appreciated.
Old 3rd May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Funk View Post

Nice track Wag. 60's/70's feel to it. The Mammas and The Pappas type thing.

Again, vocaloid works well enough on this one.
Kane, I've decided that for my next CD I want to do one in your style. So I'm going to need you to give me a link where I can hear as many of your songs as possible so I can get a good feel for what you do. The CD is going to be titled "Raising Kane." I hope you'll like the tribute.
Old 3rd May 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by wagtunes View Post
Kane, I've decided that for my next CD I want to do one in your style. So I'm going to need you to give me a link where I can hear as many of your songs as possible so I can get a good feel for what you do. The CD is going to be titled "Raising Kane." I hope you'll like the tribute.
Haha, that is mad!

Well, my Soundcloud has all of my stuff on, although some is "Private" as it's just rough stuff, but I could send you some links to those. I'll PM you them later.

I really am humbled that you are doing something based on me. Don't know what else to say.
Old 3rd May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Haha, that is mad!

Well, my Soundcloud has all of my stuff on, although some is "Private" as it's just rough stuff, but I could send you some links to those. I'll PM you them later.

I really am humbled that you are doing something based on me. Don't know what else to say.
You have a great style. Like I said, Atlanta Rhythm Section. And yeah, I know. I could just go listen to them but I want to try to capture the unique essence that's you that makes telling the two bands apart a little easier. I'll probably incorporate some ARS elements as well but for the most part, this CD is all about you. I honestly don't know if I can pull it off because this style is WAY out of my comfort zone and I'm afraid it's still going to end up sounding like 60s, 70s bubble gum glam. But I'm willing to give it a shot. Will probably be starting the CD sometime this month as I've got 3 more songs left to do for "Weather Report".

Will go check out your stuff at Soundcloud.
Old 3rd May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Haha, that is mad!

Okay, am listening to your Soul and Funk playlist. I think got a pretty good idea but have a few questions.

1. What model bass is used? Or is it a synth bass? If so, what synth and what patch?

2. The horns, are they real or samples? If samples, what library? If real, I'm screwed. lol

3. What model guitar and what FX on it. Doesn't sound like a lot of distortion if any at all.

4. I think I hear a clavinet on some of these tracks. Yes, no?

5. Any other info you can give me that can help me in duplicating the sound (outside of the mastering which is really going to preset a challenge) will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 3rd May 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Okay, am listening to your Soul and Funk playlist. I think got a pretty good idea but have a few questions.

1. What model bass is used? Or is it a synth bass? If so, what synth and what patch?

2. The horns, are they real or samples? If samples, what library? If real, I'm screwed. lol

3. What model guitar and what FX on it. Doesn't sound like a lot of distortion if any at all.

4. I think I hear a clavinet on some of these tracks. Yes, no?

5. Any other info you can give me that can help me in duplicating the sound (outside of the mastering which is really going to preset a challenge) will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Well some of the bass' will be the Scarbee ones. MM Bass or Pre bass, or a couple do have real bass and some have synth basses. The real basses I have no idea what they were. I also used Waves Bass Slapper on on Living in the Groove. However, whatever bass you have that sounds the most real is the way to go, I'm never happy with my programming of bass.

Horns are NI Session horns (Not pro, which are even better). I also layer them with the ones in Logic sometimes.

The guitars are usually a strat of some sort. I remember one track had a blend of two guitars playing the same parts, but can't remember what the other guitar was. I treat the guitars differently each time. Usually some chorus or short delays, wah (easy to hear). Sometimes flange or phase.

Yes, I use clav's sometimes (love the clav) and it's either the Logic one or Scarbee one occasionally. I sometimes use ones that don't even sound like clav's. Same with Rhodes and Wurly's, sometimes go for variants that sound not so real sometimes or use other electric piano's including the Scarbee Pianet etc.

Man it's really hard without going to look at my sessions. If you have specific tracks and questions i can take a look. However, I would not get too hooked up on this stuff, just go with what you think is right.
Old 3rd May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Well some of the bass' will be the Scarbee ones. MM Bass or Pre bass, or a couple do have real bass and some have synth basses. The real basses I have no idea what they were. I also used Waves Bass Slapper on on Living in the Groove. However, whatever bass you have that sounds the most real is the way to go, I'm never happy with my programming of bass.

Horns are NI Session horns (Not pro, which are even better). I also layer them with the ones in Logic sometimes.

The guitars are usually a strat of some sort. I remember one track had a blend of two guitars playing the same parts, but can't remember what the other guitar was. I treat the guitars differently each time. Usually some chorus or short delays, wah (easy to hear). Sometimes flange or phase.

Yes, I use clav's sometimes (love the clav) and it's either the Logic one or Scarbee one occasionally. I sometimes use ones that don't even sound like clav's. Same with Rhodes and Wurly's, sometimes go for variants that sound not so real sometimes or use other electric piano's including the Scarbee Pianet etc.

Man it's really hard without going to look at my sessions. If you have specific tracks and questions i can take a look. However, I would not get too hooked up on this stuff, just go with what you think is right.
Thanks Kane. That'll be enough to get me started. I have Session Horns Pro and use MODO Bass which is a great modeled bass. I'll just use the setting for funk and process accordingly. The clav, I have Arturia's. It's not great but it'll do. The guitars will be all sampled so they'll be the toughest to get right.

I'm actually looking forward to the challenge. In the end it's all going to come down to songwriting and finding that groove. The sounds will probably be secondary.

Keep watching this forum for when I start posting them.
Old 3rd May 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Thanks Kane. That'll be enough to get me started. I have Session Horns Pro and use MODO Bass which is a great modeled bass. I'll just use the setting for funk and process accordingly. The clav, I have Arturia's. It's not great but it'll do. The guitars will be all sampled so they'll be the toughest to get right.

I'm actually looking forward to the challenge. In the end it's all going to come down to songwriting and finding that groove. The sounds will probably be secondary.

Keep watching this forum for when I start posting them.
Oh I will, this is really cool for me!

With regards to the guitars, some should be quite "easy" to get close enough as they are just rhythmic plucks and it's more about the feeling they give than anything, so artificial sounds can work. I sometimes layer my midi guitar parts with the real guitar parts as I like the slight synthetic nature of that sound.

Hey, I don;t even mind recording a vocal or two for you!
Old 3rd May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Oh I will, this is really cool for me!

With regards to the guitars, some should be quite "easy" to get close enough as they are just rhythmic plucks and it's more about the feeling they give than anything, so artificial sounds can work. I sometimes layer my midi guitar parts with the real guitar parts as I like the slight synthetic nature of that sound.

Hey, I don;t even mind recording a vocal or two for you!
Well, if you want, I will send you instrumental tracks of each tune so you can do whatever you like with them. You can cover them or whatever.

Maybe (just putting this out there) if you really like the songs, in the future we can do a collaboration. I'm agreeable to any terms and conditions you come up with. All I want is partial writing credit. After the CD is completed, think about it and get back to me. Who knows? This could be the start of something. But you have to be 100% pleased with the writing because like I said, this genre is way out of my comfort zone. So I'll really be doing this by the numbers.
Old 3rd May 2018
Deleted 6ccb844
Quote:
Well, if you want, I will send you instrumental tracks of each tune so you can do whatever you like with them. You can cover them or whatever.

Maybe (just putting this out there) if you really like the songs, in the future we can do a collaboration. I'm agreeable to any terms and conditions you come up with. All I want is partial writing credit. After the CD is completed, think about it and get back to me. Who knows? This could be the start of something. But you have to be 100% pleased with the writing because like I said, this genre is way out of my comfort zone. So I'll really be doing this by the numbers.
I wouldn't mind a go at Thunderstorm if you're offering ..
Old 3rd May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted 6ccb844 View Post
I wouldn't mind a go at Thunderstorm if you're offering ..
Sure, I'll see if I can whip up an instrumental version. I'm not sure how easy it'll be to fit the vocals to a mixed track but you're welcome to give it a shot.
Old 3rd May 2018
Deleted 6ccb844
Quote:
Sure, I'll see if I can whip up an instrumental version. I'm not sure how easy it'll be to fit the vocals to a mixed track but you're welcome to give it a shot.
If you've got the midi tracks I can work from that? I have tons of half decent VSTI's like eastwest and the rest I can fill in with real instruments.

Looking forward to it Wag, I actually could do with a starter song (especially as mine are really complex for some reason) to get back in the game so I really appreciate you doing this.
Old 3rd May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowAMD View Post
If you've got the midi tracks I can work from that? I have tons of half decent VSTI's like eastwest and the rest I can fill in with real instruments.

Looking forward to it Wag, I actually could do with a starter song (especially as mine are really complex for some reason) to get back in the game so I really appreciate you doing this.
Ah, so you just want the MIDI tracks?

Because I just uploaded this.

Thunderstorm Instrumental by Steven Wagenheim | Free Listening on SoundCloud

I honestly don't know how to export MIDI tracks. I'll have to go look up the process.
Old 3rd May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:

Okay, here are the MIDI tracks.

Dropbox - Thunderstorm Instrumental Midi.mid

They're all in one file. So hopefully you can sort it all out.
Old 3rd May 2018
Deleted 6ccb844
Quote:
Okay, here are the MIDI tracks.

They're all in one file. So hopefully you can sort it all out.
Thank you kindly...

Shadow Vs. Brother Wag .. Has a ring to it hehe.!
Old 3rd May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thank you kindly...

Shadow Vs. Brother Wag .. Has a ring to it hehe.!
Yeah, a punk rock/funk group.
Old 4th May 2018
Lives for gear

14th track from my upcoming CD "Weather Report"

A nice slow cool jazz tune with Avanna on lead vocal.

Chill In The Air

There's a chill in the air
Every time you walk by
Just the touch of your hand
Brings a dead cold sigh

Every time you are near
And I can't hold it in
Those cold feelings I fear

You used to be so warm
You used to be so kind
We used to have such love
But now I'm going out of my mind

Every time that you smile
Nothing matters at all
Hasn't for a while

Repeat Bridge

Instrumental Break

One that won't go away
And things won't be the same
Then again maybe some day

Old 5th May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
14th track from my upcoming CD "Weather Report"

A nice slow cool jazz tune with Avanna on lead vocal.

Nice, Bro. Wag; easy, laid-back feel. Seem you, Mr. Funk and the Shadow are combining talents on some songs; that's great!

I'm not up to the caliber of you gents, but I enjoy tinkering with music. Here's a quickie from a few moons past:
Attached Files

I'm Here For You.mp3 (4.88 MB, 388 views)

Old 5th May 2018
Lives for gear

Every Day --- 2004 --
Attached Files

EVERDAY 2018.mp3 (6.74 MB, 409 views)

Old 8th May 2018
Lives for gear

JAM from 2nd CD >> Dark Chocolate
Attached Files
Old 8th May 2018
Old 8th May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hello people View Post
This one is called The Fun Room...how's the mix/ song?

The Fun Room by The Fish Tanks | Free Listening on SoundCloud
Catchy. Sounds good to me. Again, not too critical. If the mix is clean and the vocals are on key, I'm content.

Maybe somebody with a more critical ear can offer some suggestions. To me, it was fine.
Old 8th May 2018
Deleted 6ccb844
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxwaves View Post
Nice, Bro. Wag; easy, laid-back feel. Seem you, Mr. Funk and the Shadow are combining talents on some songs; that's great!

I'm not up to the caliber of you gents, but I enjoy tinkering with music. Here's a quickie from a few moons past:
If you'd of released this in the 60's / early 70's you'd of probably been slung to number 1..
Old 9th May 2018
Gear Nut

in case you missed this raager...

in case you missed this raager a few pages back....

Old 9th May 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by hello people View Post
This one is called The Fun Room...how's the mix/ song?

The Fun Room by The Fish Tanks | Free Listening on SoundCloud
Very nicely worked; I don't hear anything offhand I'd even tweak
Old 10th May 2018
Lives for gear

8 track DAW
Attached Files

DANCING ABOVE THE CLOUDS.mp3 (8.47 MB, 232 views)

Old 12th May 2018
Gear Maniac

let me know what you guys think of this one!

Old 12th May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by transcendentalist View Post
let me know what you guys think of this one!

I'm not going to comment on the production as, obviously, it's a rough mix as it says in the title. So I will only comment on the composition.

I couldn't tell where the verse ends and the chorus begins, or if there even is a chorus. The piece seems to wander aimlessly, like walking down a path in the woods and just kind of seeing where it takes you. Now, if that's what you were going for (that kind of dreamy, daydreaming kind of thing) then mission accomplished. Good job. It felt like a walk in the woods. If you were going for something else, well, then I don't know what to tell you.

Personally, for me, the lack of any kind of change throughout the piece, at 5 minutes long, made it a bit on the boring side. But that's just a personal preference thing. I know a lot of people who like this style. It's just not my cup of tea. I like a clearly defined verse, chorus and bridge. Unless of course I'm doing an experimental kind of thing. Then all bets are off.

I am curious to hear the final version of this when it's done just to see how it ended up.

Keep us posted.
Old 13th May 2018
Gear Maniac

heh no problem, a few more listens and you should be able to pick out which part's which.
Old 13th May 2018
Gear Maniac

what i'm actually wanting to do is replace the intro guitars with ones like these, but i'm waiting on my copilot to mix them in properly heh.
Attached Files

#5GTRSAMPLE2.mp3 (5.98 MB, 147 views)

📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear