The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Post your rough demos
Old 8th March 2018
Lives for gear

3rd track from my upcoming CD "Divas". This one with Daina on lead vocals.

Bring On The Klingon

What makes you think I'm totally square
Musical choice a total long hair
Movies and books from great days of old
Why you think that I'm so cold

Dinner for two at ma and pa's grill
Bottle of wine you think of as swill
Hair in a bun and uptight as hell
I got something here to tell

Bring on the Klingon
Video games
High tech's a train wreck
They're all the same
You'll someday see and
Remember my name
Bring on the Klingon boy
I can play your game

I may appear to be quite reserved
Don't you believe all that you've heard
I'm quite a catch for just the right guy
So just look me in the eye

Repeat Chorus

Star Trek Star Wars
Matters not to me
I can become
Whatever you need

Repeat Chorus

Old 8th March 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by wagtunes View Post
3rd track from my upcoming CD "Divas". This one with Daina on lead vocals.

I enjoyed this, made me smile. I really like the synth arpeggio (if that's the right term) that comes in after the first chorus. In fact that section is my favourite part as it reminds me of a handful of tracks from the 80's!
Old 8th March 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Last track from my Six Guns And A Chaser CD. I submitted this to the Vocamerica Song Contest for closing song category. I don't expect to win but this was tons of fun to do. It's Broadway, over the top and short and to the point. They're probably going to go WTF after hearing this (and that's hard to do to Vocaloid fans) but I love it. It's called "In The End"

Also, if anybody wants to hear the entire CD, here is a link to my Soundcloud playlist. IMO, the worst song is the one I sang lead, which is why I am done singing.

Six Guns And A Chaser by Steven Wagenheim | Free Listening on SoundCloud

Finally, I've made a decision. I'm going to start participating here at the forum again. As long as I don't break any forum rules, no reason I can't post my music. Nobody is forced to listen to it.

Anyway, that's it for now. Have a great day people.
Think this is great. Brilliant orchestration and to me the sounds are very convincing. I did not even mind the Vocaloid voices. Great work mate.
Old 8th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Funk View Post
I enjoyed this, made me smile. I really like the synth arpeggio (if that's the right term) that comes in after the first chorus. In fact that section is my favourite part as it reminds me of a handful of tracks from the 80's!
Thanks Kane. I had a lot of fun doing this one. The style is basically in my wheel house. It's why they call me Wagtunes. LOL.

I'm not sure where this CD is going to be honest. But then again, I never really know where any CD is going after I start it. I just kind of let it take me for the ride. That's what's so wonderful about writing. You have a blank canvas that you can do anything you want with. I am going to try to feature each Vocaloid so you can hear how the different ones sound.

More to come.
Old 8th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Think this is great. Brilliant orchestration and to me the sounds are very convincing. I did not even mind the Vocaloid voices. Great work mate.
I just hope the judges like it. LOL
Old 8th March 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
My official return to the forum as a participating member.

This is the 1st and title track from my upcoming CD "Divas". The CD will feature all female leads and duets. This way you'll get to hear the difference between each Vocaloid. This particular track features all 4 singers, Diva, Daina, Ruby and my newest Vocaloid Avanna.

All comments are actually welcome but keep in mind that these are finished tracks and I won't be going back and redoing anything. But I will keep production comments in mind for future songs. Hopefully, that way, this CD will improve as it goes along. So yes, I do want production advice so that when the last song comes around, it will be the best sounding of them all. That is my goal now for each CD I do. Hopefully, as I improve, future CDs will get better and better without having to redo songs over and over. I think this is a good compromise to just stomping my feet and refusing to take any suggestions on production. And of course I would like to know what you think of the song itself, even if Vocaloid makes you want to tear your hair out of your head.

With all that said...

Divas

OK, so not really my thing but still solid work. I like the vocal processing a lot. If you were to remix this or if you make something similar again, I would personally have the drums a lot louder. Right now the vocals are dominating and having the drums louder would give the track more drive and energy, Of course, the in the back drums bay have been exactly what you wanted but for me, they could have made me "bop along"!
Old 8th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
OK, so not really my thing but still solid work. I like the vocal processing a lot. If you were to remix this or if you make something similar again, I would personally have the drums a lot louder. Right now the vocals are dominating and having the drums louder would give the track more drive and energy, Of course, the in the back drums bay have been exactly what you wanted but for me, they could have made me "bop along"!
I cranked up the drums a bit but you're right. I could have cranked them up a little more.
Old 8th March 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
I cranked up the drums a bit but you're right. I could have cranked them up a little more.
If you don't already do it, parallel compression on the drum bus is great for adding power without ruining their timbre etc. There are some dedicated parallel drum plugs too.
Old 8th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
If you don't already do it, parallel compression on the drum bus is great for adding power without ruining their timbre etc. There are some dedicated parallel drum plugs too.
Yeah, I've got 'em. The track was hard to mix with 4 vocal leads and everything else on it. I'm trying to make my tracks less dense these days because the more stuff I throw on 'em the harder they are to do.
Old 8th March 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoggin View Post
Here’s a new version of an older song I wrote. Taking an acoustic approach on this one

So far bass, drums,acoustic guitar and vocal

I did the vocal and acoustic guitar with Coles 4038 and ZodDi

Nice feel and sound! Reminds me of Jim Croce and that era! Great stuff! How did you record the drums for that? They are clean, but not overly bright, stood out, but weren't abrasive. I dug it.
Old 8th March 2018
Lives for gear

4th track from my upcoming CD "Divas".

This one is a total goof right down to the cheesy sax solo. It's called "Torch Song" and it's a subtle parody on torch songs. The Vocaloid is Ruby who is really good for jazz and blues. I was actually laughing writing these lyrics. Not to be taken seriously at all.

Torch Song

This is my torch song for you
The only one that is true
I know you've heard them all before
Don't want to hear them no more no more

This is my torch song cliché
The one that won't go away
I know you've heard them all before
Don't want to hear them no more no more

I know I've lost your love for good
Just like I knew that I would I would
Yeah my last torch song for you

Old 8th March 2018
Lives for gear
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie0801 View Post
Nice feel and sound! Reminds me of Jim Croce and that era! Great stuff! How did you record the drums for that? They are clean, but not overly bright, stood out, but weren't abrasive. I dug it.
Hmmm of the top of my head. I recall
Kick was D12 reissue and 47 fet
Snare was 441 top and 57 under
Overheads. Flea 12
RE 20 bass tom

I’ll double check later

And I think it’s a Gretsch kit but forget which snare we used. Used a couple different on different tracks

Thanks for listening to it ! I guess my upbringing shows in my stuff a lot. 70’s all the way lol

I’m definitely trying to do that vibe as it suits my personal tastes. So gotta stay true to yourself!
Old 8th March 2018
Quote:
Hmmm of the top of my head. I recall
Kick was D12 reissue and 47 fet
Snare was 441 top and 57 under
Overheads. Flea 12
RE 20 bass tom

I’ll double check later

And I think it’s a Gretsch kit but forget which snare we used. Used a couple different on different tracks

Thanks for listening to it ! I guess my upbringing shows in my stuff a lot. 70’s all the way lol

I’m definitely trying to do that vibe as it suits my personal tastes. So gotta stay true to yourself!
Nice! Any idea of what mics you used on that? I dig that tone.

I'm heavily influenced by that era too. It's good music!

Last edited by richie0801; 8th March 2018 at 11:23 PM..
Old 8th March 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by richie0801 View Post
Nice! Any idea of what miss you used on that? I dig that tone.

I'm heavily influenced by that era too. It's good music!
I noted mics above as to what I’m rememberingz. I have it written down in notes in the session

Only others were bass u87 and coles 4038 On acoustic guitar and vocal

Oh and part of the sound is it’s recorded to tape thru a console

Last edited by Snoggin; 9th March 2018 at 12:53 AM..
Old 9th March 2018
Lives for gear

4 track Daw -----Roland sequencer
Attached Files

KISS THE RAIN.mp3 (7.50 MB, 510 views)

Old 9th March 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjogo View Post
4 track Daw -----Roland sequencer
Cool. Is that your own song? What is a four track daw ? Seriously I don’t know I know you like and use way old school stuff. Is that like early 90’s tech?
Old 9th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Cool. Is that your own song? What is a four track daw ? Seriously I don’t know I know you like and use way old school stuff. Is that like early 90’s tech?
Still using mainly 2000 tech ... Roland VS stuff

I have about 50 songs of RED CANYON's -- he first wrote in the 60's >> He sadly passed away in the 90's --first recorded with him in the 70's >at Wally Heiders SF

I was just leaving the 8 track cassette days -- recording on a AKAI DR4 a -- Sync'd to a Roland sequencer and mixed through a 22 ch Behringer ..

these were just around the corner

The other image is Mid 80's -- Amiga -- 8 bit samplers stuff

The added track is from cassette days .. we usually had to add the drum fills LIVe at mixdown -- with drum machine pads ..

BOOM BOX BABY was a big jump to 8 track DAW -- the sky was the limit .. sync to a 16 track sequencer == mixdown to a FULL 24 tracks to DAT
Attached Thumbnails
Post your rough demos-greg-20gmuca_1.jpg  
Attached Files

YOU MAKE IT HARD ON ME 1.mp3 (8.13 MB, 444 views)

BOOM BOX BABY mix.mp3 (7.26 MB, 426 views)

Last edited by cjogo; 9th March 2018 at 08:54 PM..
Old 10th March 2018
Lives for gear

5th track from my upcoming CD "Divas"

Carbon Dating

Looking for a life form life form
Something outside the norm
Two eyes three eyes got no preference
Doesn't need to be born

Cold and distant
In an instant
No point waiting
Contemplating

Carbon dating
Patch me into your machine
Carbon dating
Look for something in between
Living matter
Gray goop splatter
I'm done waiting
Carbon dating

Futuristic sci fi sci fi
Can it look me in the eye
One head two heads got no preference
Either bad or good guy

Man or cyborg
Emu or Korg
No point waiting
Contemplating

Repeat Chorus

Ready set begin
In the state I'm in
Hook me up in time
Make that carbon mine

Repeat Chorus

Old 11th March 2018
Quote:
5th track from my upcoming CD "Divas"

Carbon Dating

Looking for a life form life form
Something outside the norm
Two eyes three eyes got no preference
Doesn't need to be born

Cold and distant
In an instant
No point waiting
Contemplating

Carbon dating
Patch me into your machine
Carbon dating
Look for something in between
Living matter
Gray goop splatter
I'm done waiting
Carbon dating

Futuristic sci fi sci fi
Can it look me in the eye
One head two heads got no preference
Either bad or good guy

Man or cyborg
Emu or Korg
No point waiting
Contemplating

Repeat Chorus

Ready set begin
In the state I'm in
Hook me up in time
Make that carbon mine

Repeat Chorus

Cool, reminds me of Gary Numan. I would maybe layer the bass with a grittier digital bass. I always do that to add some punch.
Old 11th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Bird View Post
Cool, reminds me of Gary Numan. I would maybe layer the bass with a grittier digital bass. I always do that to add some punch.
Layering bass sounds is tough because you have to make sure that they actually gel together or they sound out of place. So I usually just keep it simple.
Old 11th March 2018
Here for the gear

This is a song I composed, arranged and produced and would like to have some feedback. It this a good song, is this a bad song. Do I need to put in work some more on this song?

YouTube
Old 11th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irwinabrigo View Post
This is a song I composed, arranged and produced and would like to have some feedback. It this a good song, is this a bad song. Do I need to put in work some more on this song?

YouTube
I did want you to know that I did take the time to listen to your song but I do not feel I'm qualified to offer any constructive feedback on it.
Old 11th March 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
I did want you to know that I did take the time to listen to your song but I do not feel I'm qualified to offer any constructive feedback on it.
Okay, I thank you anyway for listening, I do appreciate you taking the time. I think I'll post my song on the finest song forum.
Old 12th March 2018
Lives for gear

Here is a new song I did 100% from scratch. Let me know your thoughts!

Old 12th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeg09 View Post
Here is a new song I did 100% from scratch. Let me know your thoughts!

Well, I'm not a big Rap fan but listening objectively, for starters, you really know how to work that Autotune. Excellent job. The vocals are maybe a little drier than I'd like but they seem to fit in the mix. maybe just a tad loud. Maybe if you added a touch of space to them.

The song itself is simple enough that it's hard to screw it up. You kept within yourself and that helped a lot.

Overall the mix seemed a little one dimensional. Almost like it was recorded in mono but not quite. Nothing really sticks out as being out of place but at the same time, nothing really grabbed me. The arrangement seemed to be fairly static. Now that could be genre specific. I don't know because I don't listen to a lot of rap, even rap with some sung vocals. While I enjoyed Linkin Park's "In The End" (actually one of my favorite songs, which surprised the heck out of me) I wasn't really a big fan of the group itself and listen to very little music from this genre. So I'm probably not the best person to comment on this track.

FWIW, I didn't hate it. That alone is a major victory given how much I dislike rap music in general. On a 1-10 scale, I give it a 6.5 on a personal level. Trust me, that's high praise from me considering that you can count the number of rap songs that I've liked in the past 30 something years on way less than one hand. So, good job. Could still use a little more variation, for me anyway. But if this is essentially what I'd hear if tuning in to a rap station, then mission accomplished. That's why I say I'm probably not the best person to comment on your track. Perhaps somebody more in tune with the genre will give it a listen. I'm sure they'll be much more helpful.
Old 13th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hello people View Post
Oh does this bring me back. I was waiting to hear Barry Gibb after that intro.

Don't really have any criticisms other than I'd prefer it a little less dry and in your face. 70s disco wasn't quite so.
Old 13th March 2018
Lives for gear

6th track from my upcoming CD "Divas"

Life (What Do You Want)

What do you want from your life
I want to be respected and loved
Existing is just not enough
The world can be so quite unkind
And yet I don't really mind
As long as I get what I want
From my life

What do you want from your love
I want him to love me for me
What do you want from your love
I want to be loved to be free
A lover who knows how to care
A lover who's always there
From my love

There's always something to fight for
Something to search through the night for
Something that is true to your heart
Something that needs a new start

I just want to live and be free
I just want to live and be me
The world can be so quite unkind
And yet I don't really mind
From my life

Old 16th March 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Nicely done, nothing major I hear that I'd change. Might try a little less mid on the voice, IMO it's slightly "boxy" but again slightly. Bump it a little more to the high end.
Old 16th March 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Cool track. I imagine a soft, breathy female vocal singing this. Not that the vocal doesn't work, I just imagine it better that way, may be with a slight French or Italian accent?
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear