The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Post your rough demos
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by toastedgoat View Post
This is a song I'm in the process of trying to get down. I'm not 100% on the vocal lines. This is a short clip of just the first two verse parts, It has a bit of the first chorus BK vocals (no lead vox recorded yet for the chorus). I need some input on the verse vocals. I've just come off of having my stomach muscles rebuilt ( I tore them in an accident). Three weeks ago they took me off of 10lb lift limit, so it's still kind of sore, Doc said it'll take up to a year to heal up where it won't bother me. Anyway not having the strength there for my vocal support I'm afraid it's effecting my vocal performance especially pitch. So If I could get some feedback on this short clip, especially if you have ideas on the verse vocals. I haven't started mixing yet so it's in a static state at this time.

https://soundcloud.com/nosirrah-yrag/i-stand-by-you

Any help would be appreciated.
Going by your description, I was expecting a real train wreck. I wish I could sing that good.

The vocals are just a slight bit pitchy in places. Very slight. A little mild autotuning will take care of that and should be subtle enough that nobody will even know. Given what you've been through it's a miracle you can sing at all.

The song does appear to be maybe a half key high for you. Maybe lower it down just a bit. Might make all the difference in the world.

All in all, not bad at all.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyzygis View Post

This should be better. I am still working on the string parts so they may be a bit out of balance and the vocal is not quite where I want it yet.
Let me know what you think.

https://soundcloud.com/the-cheeky-monkey/psalm-23-1
very nice, mix is pretty good. I like the orchestration that really kicks in.. Did you sing all the harmony lines? This is well thought out and works for me.

on a side note. The ozone mastering bit you did on Another Masquerade really smoothed it out nicely. The harshness in the Mandolins is gone, and the low end pushes through. I like that song so much I have it on my playlist for songs when I'm driving, and at work.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
This is a song I'm in the process of trying to get down. I'm not 100% on the vocal lines. This is a short clip of just the first two verse parts, It has a bit of the first chorus BK vocals (no lead vox recorded yet for the chorus). I need some input on the verse vocals. I've just come off of having my stomach muscles rebuilt ( I tore them in an accident). Three weeks ago they took me off of 10lb lift limit, so it's still kind of sore, Doc said it'll take up to a year to heal up where it won't bother me. Anyway not having the strength there for my vocal support I'm afraid it's effecting my vocal performance especially pitch. So If I could get some feedback on this short clip, especially if you have ideas on the verse vocals. I haven't started mixing yet so it's in a static state at this time.

https://soundcloud.com/nosirrah-yrag/i-stand-by-you

Any help would be appreciated.
Sounds good to me. I think you have a really good voice, it’s a classic rock voice and just has that warm but clear quality that I wish I had.
I think it’s amazing that you can sing like this after what you’ve been through, that vocal sounds powerful but, yes, I can hear the pain in the vocal where the pitch is off. The thing is it didn’t bother me because it somehow fits with the lyrics to have a bit of vulnerability and sounds very 'rock and roll'. As Wagtunes said, a little auto tune would fix it if you wanted to.
The song is catchy and the gang vocals in the chorus are quite hooky.
I did feel that it might work slightly better a couple of bpm faster but it could just be that the playing is a bit loose and that tends to make things drag a little.
Is the arrangement still being worked out or is this part done?
Anyway, best wishes here for a speedy recovery. I can only imagine how great your voice will sound when you are fully healed.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
very nice, mix is pretty good. I like the orchestration that really kicks in.. Did you sing all the harmony lines? This is well thought out and works for me.

on a side note. The ozone mastering bit you did on Another Masquerade really smoothed it out nicely. The harshness in the Mandolins is gone, and the low end pushes through. I like that song so much I have it on my playlist for songs when I'm driving, and at work.
Thanks a lot!
I am not at all happy with the quality of the vocal in this one, but I wanted to get the melody worked out before I record the vocal proper.
I want a much softer, warmer sound to it.
The harmonies are all me, with a little help from Melodyne.

Thanks for the comments on Another Masquerade, I love that you have it on your playlist!
Ozone’s Tonal Balance plugin really helped get the bass levels right, something I usually find difficult due to monitoring restrictions here.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

4th track from my upcoming CD "Gates Of The Lord"

The Apostles Creed

I believe in the father
I believe in the son
I believe in the holy ghost
And our God above
With all his love
Is the one thing that I believe in the most

I believe in the church
And in the resurrection
And in forgiveness of sins
So ignore all the haters
And rejoice in our savior
That's how eternal life it begins

The chiefs and the scribes called for Jesus to die
And Pilate set the stage for his fall
The Romans no doubt they had carried it out
While the crowd they screamed one and all

On the cross yes they nailed the one they had jailed
And crucified our Lord that day
But he rose from the dead as the good book had said
And now the Lord can hear us say

Repeat Chorus

Old 5 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyzygis View Post
Sounds good to me. I think you have a really good voice, it’s a classic rock voice and just has that warm but clear quality that I wish I had.
I think it’s amazing that you can sing like this after what you’ve been through, that vocal sounds powerful but, yes, I can hear the pain in the vocal where the pitch is off. The thing is it didn’t bother me because it somehow fits with the lyrics to have a bit of vulnerability and sounds very 'rock and roll'. As Wagtunes said, a little auto tune would fix it if you wanted to.
The song is catchy and the gang vocals in the chorus are quite hooky.
I did feel that it might work slightly better a couple of bpm faster but it could just be that the playing is a bit loose and that tends to make things drag a little.
Is the arrangement still being worked out or is this part done?
Anyway, best wishes here for a speedy recovery. I can only imagine how great your voice will sound when you are fully healed.
i'n still working things out with this one. after quite a few goes at this song I also think it's lacking something, to straight forward rhythmically. It's a little loose, I don't go back and quantize things. I come from the old tape days, so although I can tighten everything up ITB, at this time, I haven't started doing that. I like a bit of imperfection. I do this stuff because it's a great hobby for me. I really enjoy doing it but, I don't have any aspirations to make money at it. I just like the getting a song idea in my head, recording it, and in the be flexible enough to make changes, take advice and use it. Then see what I have in the end of the project. It's fun, I liken to putting a puzzle together, a piece here, a piece there, after putting all the pieces in you look at what you've made.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

5th track from my upcoming CD "Gates Of The Lord."

I really like the way this one came out. Nice and short (2:22) and not too wordy.

The Ten Commandments

I am the Lord your God
You shall have no other gods before me
You shall not make any graven images of God
No no no

You shall not use the Lord your God's Name in vain
Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it Holy
Honour your father and mother
You shall not kill

You shall not commit adultery
You shall not steal
You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor
You shall not covet

Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear
It's amazing how my partner has a way of bringing me back to Earth with a huge thud without that being her intent at all. I just asked her if she would be too self conscious for me to video her to make a music video in a retro MJ Don't Stop Till You Get enough/Rock With You with all the cheesy 80's fx etc. Her reply was "the track would have to be really groovy" she followed this with "oh, do you mean to one of our tracks (my songs as I'm write them soley)"? I said yes and she said "Oh, well you'd have to make something that is really 70's sounding and with a good groove". Man, this is what I thought I'd been achieving, but I guess not. She's actually quite good at dampening my enthusiasm for stuff I'm working on. I'll play her something with excitement and she'll sort of frown and say "yeah, but it won't sound like that when it's finished will it" or "will you be replacing lots of those instruments"! OUCH! lol
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Funk View Post
It's amazing how my partner has a way of bringing me back to Earth with a huge thud without that being her intent at all. I just asked her if she would be too self conscious for me to video her to make a music video in a retro MJ Don't Stop Till You Get enough/Rock With You with all the cheesy 80's fx etc. Her reply was "the track would have to be really groovy" she followed this with "oh, do you mean to one of our tracks (my songs as I'm write them soley)"? I said yes and she said "Oh, well you'd have to make something that is really 70's sounding and with a good groove". Man, this is what I thought I'd been achieving, but I guess not. She's actually quite good at dampening my enthusiasm for stuff I'm working on. I'll play her something with excitement and she'll sort of frown and say "yeah, but it won't sound like that when it's finished will it" or "will you be replacing lots of those instruments"! OUCH! lol
No offense, but your partner is whacked. LOL.

Your stuff is great. Don't let her get you down.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search