The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Post your rough demos
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Anyone here use any of the Variety Of Sound Complete bundle? All free and seems like a great set of plug-ins. I've just updated to DDMF3, so should be able to use the 32Bit VST's now and looking forward to using their plug-ins. Can't belive they are all free. Their site also gives some great tips on how to use each plug in.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjogo View Post
Having fun in the studio --- VS 2480 midi to dual Kurzweil w/ sequencer . Drums tapped in with keys ...
Really nice, a few things stood out I'd try tweaking:

- To me it comes across very boxy. Not sure if that's strictly an EQ thing or there's some reverb/etc contributing (PS likewise for second song you posted)
- Lots of de-essing needed on vocals
- Drums aren't prominent enough (seems to me it's much more common for them to be TOO prominent, so that was an interesting thing to note) PS nice work to do that on a keyboard though. Tapping out drums on a keyboard, ugh, I wince just thinking about it
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill5 View Post
Really nice, a few things stood out I'd try tweaking:

- To me it comes across very boxy. Not sure if that's strictly an EQ thing or there's some reverb/etc contributing (PS likewise for second song you posted)
- Lots of de-essing needed on vocals
- Drums aren't prominent enough (seems to me it's much more common for them to be TOO prominent, so that was an interesting thing to note) PS nice work to do that on a keyboard though. Tapping out drums on a keyboard, ugh, I wince just thinking about it

thanks for the very kind - instructive words ... Guess I have been tapping out drums to a sequencer since the 80's. Do have several E Drum kits ....

We go direct to a DVC -- RME to the ROland ( all from our "pop-screened" mics ) -- could be EQ problems -- will check the individual channels again ...

This was performed on the ALesis brain and Roland pads -- no fingers on the keys ..... https://soundcloud.com/vsp-island/because-1

Maybe a touch more "presence " on these drums [URL="https://soundcloud.com/cjogo/feathers[/URL]
Attached Thumbnails
Post your rough demos-final-20.jpg   Post your rough demos-drum-20angle.jpg  
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Oh, you didn't use a keyboard. Cheater!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Oh, you didn't use a keyboard. Cheater!

Well, some of the percussion Still after all these years :: prefer to tap a hat or percussive instrument>> through out the total song .. Drums are usually tracked late in the process of the production .. Also : generally allow 5/7 hours from concept to final render of a song ..

Many here from 80/90 Cassette to early 4/8 channels DAWs https://soundcloud.com/cjogo

Lots of variety over the years ---
https://soundcloud.com/dark-chocolate-big-sur

https://soundcloud.com/cjogo2
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
8 hrs? I hate you.

Mixed well overall IMO. As for the song itself, IMO it just screams for a Tower of Power-style horn section, not guitar, and some harmonies. Cmon get all EWF. Basically more of a "fuller" sound, and I don't mean tweaking something mix-wise, but the instrumentation itself.
Hey Bill thanks for the suggestions.

Not sure I can pull off the Tower Of Power sound, but will have a go at making a little more of the horns.

With regards to the harmonies, were you thinking in the verses or chorus or both? I did add one harmony in the second verse and was planning to add at least one in elsewhere. I like the other suggestion of a talk box in the chorus as well.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Ok, so more horns in this version and beefed up existing ones in chorus.

Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Funk View Post

Had to hear the horns. Sounds good. Yeah, Tower of Power's gonna be pretty hard to pull off without some heavy duty libraries and arrangements. Horns are fine for what the song itself is. Doesn't need to be overdone as it's the "groove" (no pun intended) that carries this one.

Good job!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by wagtunes View Post
Had to hear the horns. Sounds good. Yeah, Tower of Power's gonna be pretty hard to pull off without some heavy duty libraries and arrangements. Horns are fine for what the song itself is. Doesn't need to be overdone as it's the "groove" (no pun intended) that carries this one.

Good job!
Cheers Wag. I do think the extra horns help add a bit of interest but yeah, tower of power is above my pay grade! I do all the arrangements myself so no horn licks or anything used, otherwise would probably get closer and more impressive arrangements but they would not be mine!

Just widened the main wah clav which sounds much nicer. Also turned claps up a notch and the strings at the end. Sounding pretty good now, can't wait to get vocals and bass done. Thanks for all the input guys, it's coming on nicely. https://soundcloud.com/kanewilliams-...he-groove-demo
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Decided to move away from the AKB48 sound for this track and went to a Bonnie Pink (J Pop solo artist) flavor. Also kept the arrangement simple and understated as I felt the song itself could carry things. Nice pleasant tune. Not sure what I'm doing for the last 6 tracks of this one. There are a lot of different J Pop styles to choose from. I think I've done the AKB48 thing about as well as I can do and it's time to move on. We'll see.

6th track from my upcoming CD "V Pop"

Out Like A Light

Can't you see the twinkle in my eyes
Why does it come to you as such a surprise
You do things to me that no one else can do
That is why I only want to be with you

Out like a light in your arms
On a night when the moon shines
Out like a light from your charms
On a night where the gods dine
When I look into your eyes
It just can't be any surprise
When I'm out like a light
When I'm out with you

Are you clueless to the joy you bring
When I'm with you my heart just can't help but sing
You just make me feel like no one else can do
That is why I only want to be with you

Repeat Chorus

Instrumental Break

Repeat Chorus

Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

'Getting better all the time'!
The clav sounds much more interesting now and leaves room for the vocal. I agree that the horns could do with a bit more power, in the middle instrumental section the horns need to be doubled and almost big band to bring some depth, you could emphasise the swells too with more expression automation throughout the song.
Still finding the last chorus off putting, couldn't you try the off beat line at the end of every chorus for variation instead of just in the whole of the last chorus, it just breaks the groove for me.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyzygis View Post
'Getting better all the time'!
The clav sounds much more interesting now and leaves room for the vocal. I agree that the horns could do with a bit more power, in the middle instrumental section the horns need to be doubled and almost big band to bring some depth, you could emphasise the swells too with more expression automation throughout the song.
Still finding the last chorus off putting, couldn't you try the off beat line at the end of every chorus for variation instead of just in the whole of the last chorus, it just breaks the groove for me.
I will try that off beat at the end of each chorus in stead, but I may also try having a few other things. I did actually double the horns already, but had the second layer playing a little softer with one trumpet and sax dropped an octave. I will try having the play harder. I did automate the swells a bit but will try to improve that too.

Definitely improving and I'm appreciating the continued feedback.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hey Bill thanks for the suggestions.

Not sure I can pull off the Tower Of Power sound, but will have a go at making a little more of the horns.
That is a tall order and probably one unfair to suggest. But something along those lines IMO could really give it a lot more bang.

Quote:
With regards to the harmonies, were you thinking in the verses or chorus or both?
Both, but just chorus could be enough - again my main thought was it would really benefit from a much "bigger" sound (which is why EWF came to mind)...e.g. harmonies not meaning one extra person but a group harmony thing.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

Yeah big diff IMO. I would beef em up even more, like zy said, a real big band kind of sound but I've probably said enough lol
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I will try that off beat at the end of each chorus in stead, but I may also try having a few other things. I did actually double the horns already, but had the second layer playing a little softer with one trumpet and sax dropped an octave. I will try having the play harder. I did automate the swells a bit but will try to improve that too.

You could try spreading those horns wider, ATM things seem a bit unbalanced towards the right. The string hits could be on the left more and you could put another set of horns on the left too. Are the horns all quantised to the beat? It might be better to move each instrument slightly to make it more human, it needs to be very slight but the ear will pick up the separate brass players and it will sound bigger. In the middle section you can afford to increase the sustain and exaggerate the volume swells to give it that classic swing feel.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

Sounding great, Mr. Funk!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Decided to move away from the AKB48 sound for this track and went to a Bonnie Pink (J Pop solo artist) flavor. Also kept the arrangement simple and understated as I felt the song itself could carry things. Nice pleasant tune. Not sure what I'm doing for the last 6 tracks of this one. There are a lot of different J Pop styles to choose from. I think I've done the AKB48 thing about as well as I can do and it's time to move on. We'll see.

6th track from my upcoming CD "V Pop"

Out Like A Light

Hey Brother Wagtunes; the first few seconds of your song reminded me of the theme to "The Love Boat" tv show, haha. I know zilch about this type of music so it's novel to me. Are you turning out a track per day? What genre' is next? How about some rockabilly?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxwaves View Post
Hey Brother Wagtunes; the first few seconds of your song reminded me of the theme to "The Love Boat" tv show, haha. I know zilch about this type of music so it's novel to me. Are you turning out a track per day? What genre' is next? How about some rockabilly?
I don't think I have a feel for rockabilly. It's one of those few genres that I don't feel comfortable tackling.

Track per day? Seems like it, doesn't it.

Candy Striper 9/6/2017
The End Of The Rainbow 9/7/2017
Play With Me 9/8/2017
Fluff N Stuff 9/9/2017
Something Meaningful 9/11/2017
Out Like A Light 9/13/2017

When I did my 2 CD set "80s Squared", which was 32 songs, the first song was completed on 3/4/2017 and the last song was completed on 4/1/2017.

32 tracks in less than a month. And some really good stuff too.

When I get on a roll, there's no stopping me.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I don't think I have a feel for rockabilly. It's one of those few genres that I don't feel comfortable tackling.

Track per day? Seems like it, doesn't it.

Candy Striper 9/6/2017
The End Of The Rainbow 9/7/2017
Play With Me 9/8/2017
Fluff N Stuff 9/9/2017
Something Meaningful 9/11/2017
Out Like A Light 9/13/2017

When I did my 2 CD set "80s Squared", which was 32 songs, the first song was completed on 3/4/2017 and the last song was completed on 4/1/2017.

32 tracks in less than a month. And some really good stuff too.

When I get on a roll, there's no stopping me.
I wish I had the same energy/drive/dedication; it's admirable. My excuse is that after a long day in construction (40+ years of them) and other responsibilities, my drive is gone, and so is my time. How do you manage?

"Fluff N Stuff"...makes me grin every time, haha.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxwaves View Post
I wish I had the same energy/drive/dedication; it's admirable. My excuse is that after a long day in construction (40+ years of them) and other responsibilities, my drive is gone, and so is my time. How do you manage?

"Fluff N Stuff"...makes me grin every time, haha.
Well, I last worked a "corporate America" job in 2001. I quit shortly after 9/11 when I realized that life was too short. I've been running my own business ever since. That gives me the luxury of working from home whenever I want and working on my music whenever I want. I'm very fortunate and believe me, I know it.

But even when I did work, one year I still managed to crank out 7 CDs. I'd go to work and then come home and work on my music. That was my life. It just took me longer to get a song done.

I have found that if something is important enough, you'll find the time to do it.

At least that's what works for me.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

@wags here's a better mix with the ending fixed. Hope you like it.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:

Very cool song, and good mix man! I really enjoyed that.

Are you singing and playing everything on this?

Anyway- vocals sounded excellent, kinda reminded me of Roy Orbison
which is definitely a good thing in my book!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Knocking them out -- fun in the studio -- always rough
Attached Files

NEED ME.mp3 (9.16 MB, 184 views)

Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccouch7 View Post
Very cool song, and good mix man! I really enjoyed that.

Are you singing and playing everything on this?

Anyway- vocals sounded excellent, kinda reminded me of Roy Orbison
which is definitely a good thing in my book!
Thank you!
Yes I am working solo on this project.
I like the Roy Orbison reference, I was definitely influenced by him especially the 'Anything you want' period.
Of course it's nowhere near as good as that, but something to aspire to.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:

You could try spreading those horns wider, ATM things seem a bit unbalanced towards the right. The string hits could be on the left more and you could put another set of horns on the left too. Are the horns all quantised to the beat? It might be better to move each instrument slightly to make it more human, it needs to be very slight but the ear will pick up the separate brass players and it will sound bigger. In the middle section you can afford to increase the sustain and exaggerate the volume swells to give it that classic swing feel.
Thanks, I'll check the L/R balance. Actually, the horns aren't quantised but when I add a couple more layers (single instruments) I will try to get more separation of hits. Thanks again for continued tips.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

Damn! If I was a billionaire, I'd pay your air fare to fly out here and teach me how to do that. I'd pay for your time, put you up in a fancy hotel, the whole 9 yards.

Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Damn! If I was a billionaire, I'd pay your air fare to fly out here and teach me how to do that. I'd pay for your time, put you up in a fancy hotel, the whole 9 yards.

Aww, thanks Wags!
Yeah, that would be great!
I think I finally got this mix to a place that I am happy with, I hope I can get there quicker with the next one.
I wish I had your ability to do things fast, but I seem to need hours of listening and adjusting and revising. I will often spend ages on a mix only to go back to an earlier version and start again because I end up going in a direction I don't like.
These very layered mixes are the worst, finding the balance and getting each part to contribute to the whole while keeping the centre of interest focused is the most difficult thing to master. Sometimes just a db in the wrong direction will throw everything out, and don't talk to me about eq, that's a real pain!
Listening to your latest mixes has taught me a thing or two about clarity and directness which I have decided will be my approach to the next album.

By the way, I have been thinking about a new artist name, my old electronic music moniker was 'The Cheeky Monkey', but for the vocal stuff I am thinking of going with 'Zed', what do you guys think?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Aww, thanks Wags!
Yeah, that would be great!
I think I finally got this mix to a place that I am happy with, I hope I can get there quicker with the next one.
I wish I had your ability to do things fast, but I seem to need hours of listening and adjusting and revising. I will often spend ages on a mix only to go back to an earlier version and start again because I end up going in a direction I don't like.
These very layered mixes are the worst, finding the balance and getting each part to contribute to the whole while keeping the centre of interest focused is the most difficult thing to master. Sometimes just a db in the wrong direction will throw everything out, and don't talk to me about eq, that's a real pain!
Listening to your latest mixes has taught me a thing or two about clarity and directness which I have decided will be my approach to the next album.

By the way, I have been thinking about a new artist name, my old electronic music moniker was 'The Cheeky Monkey', but for the vocal stuff I am thinking of going with 'Zed', what do you guys think?
Zed has a quirky kind of cool that I like. Zed is the League Of Legends Master Of Shadows. So maybe that can be a reference to a new style of music, "Shadow Pop" that you can coin and make your own. Just come up with one unique aspect. That's the hard part. But pull it off and you'll have a winner.

As for my own mixes, I have no choice but to keep them fairly simple because if I don't, they end up sounding like mud. Neutron helps a lot with masking but ultimately, simple makes it easier. Your mixes would drive me to drink. I wouldn't even know where to begin, which is why I don't attempt them.

If you win the lottery or have a few bucks to spend, get Neutron. It will make your life SOOOOO much easier.

Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

A masterpiece if I have to say so myself. Styled mostly after the band AAA, where they have 7 members and all take turns singing lead, this one was a real challenge.

7th track from my upcoming CD "V Pop" with all 5 Vocaloids sharing vocals.

When We All Come Together

When we all come together
It's as if we all are one
In this life there is no stronger
Than when we share in the sun

Live in peace is all we want
There's no reason that we can't
When we all come together
It's as perfect as it can be

Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

If you win the lottery or have a few bucks to spend, get Neutron. It will make your life SOOOOO much easier.

[/QUOTE]

Watched the video; looks very nice. About $250, correct? Hmmm...
It seems to get the Brother Wagtunes Seal of Approval, so it's on my hit list.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search