The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Post your rough demos
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Okay, I found a sound that I think sounds cool. If anybody wants to just listen to the first 30 seconds, let me know if it's better.

Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by wagtunes View Post
Okay, I found a sound that I think sounds cool. If anybody wants to just listen to the first 30 seconds, let me know if it's better.

Yeah, much better! It still has an 80's movie soundtrack sound to it, but in a cool way. You could actually try blending it with a hint of the brass sound, may be that will be a cool blend or may be not, but as it is, I like it a lot more.

When you have the double vocal, the right channel seemed a bit loud. I would may be drop the level of that and may be thin that sound down a bit. It may only need the level dropped (and not thinned) but I think this will free up a little space in that area.

You could also try lessening the reverb or shortening them on some of the sounds and let the delay (which you also have on those sounds) stand out a bit more. As a delay is more staccato, this may create some gaps/spaces that reverb tails are currently filling. May be you can side chain the delays and/or reverbs so they only sound at certain times rather than be constant. May be you have already done that?

Try some transient shapers on stuff, to try to lessen the decay of instruments and verbs etc.

All these suggestions are simply to give you some ideas that MAY create a little more space without losing anything.

At 2.04, that "electric wind" sort of sound that comes in. May be have that coming in more gradually swelling at the most poignant moment. It seems to get loud really quickly and thus loses some of it's dynamic impact.

I like this track btw.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Funk View Post
Yeah, much better! It still has an 80's movie soundtrack sound to it, but in a cool way. You could actually try blending it with a hint of the brass sound, may be that will be a cool blend or may be not, but as it is, I like it a lot more.

When you have the double vocal, the right channel seemed a bit loud. I would may be drop the level of that and may be thin that sound down a bit. It may only need the level dropped (and not thinned) but I think this will free up a little space in that area.

You could also try lessening the reverb or shortening them on some of the sounds and let the delay (which you also have on those sounds) stand out a bit more. As a delay is more staccato, this may create some gaps/spaces that reverb tails are currently filling. May be you can side chain the delays and/or reverbs so they only sound at certain times rather than be constant. May be you have already done that?

Try some transient shapers on stuff, to try to lessen the decay of instruments and verbs etc.

All these suggestions are simply to give you some ideas that MAY create a little more space without losing anything.

At 2.04, that "electric wind" sort of sound that comes in. May be have that coming in more gradually swelling at the most poignant moment. It seems to get loud really quickly and thus loses some of it's dynamic impact.

I like this track btw.
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll try incorporating them into the next track. Tough getting that sound I'm looking for when you really don't know what you're doing in that area.
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear
Thanks Wagtunes! Appreciate the kind words.
Old 2 weeks ago
Hurry Up 'n Suck

Very, very rough. Just a rough balance, basic eq and some verb. Wanted to get a reference mix before I dive in with lead guitar, reamping and full, or in my case "fool's" mix. As always, any and all input/feedback welcome.
Wheels
Attached Files

Hurry_Up_n_Suck_REF_MIX.mp3 (4.17 MB, 642 views)

Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelomatic View Post
Very, very rough. Just a rough balance, basic eq and some verb. Wanted to get a reference mix before I dive in with lead guitar, reamping and full, or in my case "fool's" mix. As always, any and all input/feedback welcome.
Wheels
Lyrically a little crude, but catchy. I like it.
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Lyrically a little crude, but catchy. I like it.
Guilty as charged, Wags. I was writing from the POV of that drunken, rowdy knucklehead that invariably shows up at a show you're at and were enjoying. Until he starts screaming "Freebird," and not ironically, etc. Certainly low brow subject matter. But I don't generally do love songs very well. Well, actually any songs for that matter.

BTW - your foray into Omnisphere is impressive. I ditto the other comments and really like the layered feel and depth of that intro piece.
Wheels
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Guilty as charged, Wags. I was writing from the POV of that drunken, rowdy knucklehead that invariably shows up at a show you're at and were enjoying. Until he starts screaming "Freebird," and not ironically, etc. Certainly low brow subject matter. But I don't generally do love songs very well. Well, actually any songs for that matter.

BTW - your foray into Omnisphere is impressive. I ditto the other comments and really like the layered feel and depth of that intro piece.
Wheels
Thanks. Appreciate the comments. Anyway, if crude was what you were going for, you nailed it. Definitely will listen again so I can get more of the "story" the 2nd time around. If you could post the lyrics, that would help.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Wheels
I think it is well put together and love the raucous guitars.
The only suggestion I have is with the writing. I think you have got the lyrics pretty much done, but if you swap the lines 'I'm still here' and 'I'm about all outa beer.' It does something interesting. It changes the character from someone threatening and aggressive into someone sad and desperate and adds another layer of psychological depth to the story.

Just a suggestion...

Last edited by Zyzygis; 2 weeks ago at 01:37 AM..
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
So, six years (I can't believe it's been six years) ago I made a song for a challenge which was pretty much can you grab the cheapest, most horrible sounding equipment you can find and make something that doesn't make you want to pull your ears off..

Anyway, I've always been somewhat self concious about my voice although I have quite a bit of pride.. I refuse to use things like autotune on anything but backing tracks and I have to be able to pull it off one to one live so I tend to keep it a little raw.

So as I'm training myself again (really out of practice), I wouldn't mind some feedback on my recorded vocals etc. how they blend in a song and if the lyrics actually made any sense LOL!.. The mix I'm not bothered about, I've got Kempers / proper compressors and effects etc. so I could do better without putting much effort into it.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/low-...challenge.html

Appreciate it in advance.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowAMD View Post
So, six years (I can't believe it's been six years) ago I made a song for a challenge which was pretty much can you grab the cheapest, most horrible sounding equipment you can find and make something that doesn't make you want to pull your ears off..

Anyway, I've always been somewhat self concious about my voice although I have quite a bit of pride.. I refuse to use things like autotune on anything but backing tracks and I have to be able to pull it off one to one live so I tend to keep it a little raw.

So as I'm training myself again (really out of practice), I wouldn't mind some feedback on my recorded vocals etc. how they blend in a song and if the lyrics actually made any sense LOL!.. The mix I'm not bothered about, I've got Kempers / proper compressors and effects etc. so I could do better without putting much effort into it.

LMAO...I love it. Reminds me a little bit of Muse. I was expecting a train wreck going by your comments but this is really cool. And your voice is fine. Hell of a lot better than mine, that's for sure.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

Firstly: Love the track, sounds well balanced on my system and love the brilliant, complex arrangement.
The vocal, which sounds like it is very well written and performed, needs bringing up slightly and some more top end to give it more intelligibility.
I realise that this style tends toward quite a dry and dark vocal sound, but the vocal is obviously a really important element of the track and deserves more space in the mix.
I can hear nothing for you to feel self conscious about. The pitch and delivery both sound excellent to my ears. Colour me impressed!
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Thanks guys .. Yeah heavier rock / metal does tend to hide the vocals a little compared to pop and pop rock.. I think that was about the limitation of the £35.00 mic, TBH for price I thought it sounded pretty good? Although it didn't take that well to EQ and it was even a little touchy about compression.

It does serve as a reminder (for me at least) that fretting about gear is silly (which I do often).. Y'know I've got gear that costs 20X the amount of that Behringer desk I used, but it seriously does not equate to 20X better.

Live and learn, again thanks for the feedback I do honestly appreciate it.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

2nd track from my upcoming CD "Botany Bay"

This one is really out there. 25 tracks which include metals, weird noises, percussion a sitar and bansuri and very sparse vocals.

Syconium

Syconium
Syconium
Makes me numb
Syconium

Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

I hope I'm in the right spot for this.

I'm a square one newb at electronic production. Still learning my way around ableton, my instruments, and this type of music in general. I've sketched out quite a few ideas that I like, but keep deleting them out of frustration because I can't figure out how to turn them into songs.

This is my latest sketch, and I've decided I'm going to turn this thing into a song even if it sucks, but I just can't figure out any way to have a smooth intro or really anyway to flesh it out more. Was wondering if maybe someone had some ideas of what I should try, not asking for someone to to do it for me, just some direction. I've tried samples, running through the chord progression etc, but as soon as I try to incorporate this loop, it just sounds jarring like it doesn't belong

https://soundcloud.com/mfmusic-353764608/nostalgia

(It's just a loop, so no need to listen all the way through)

I'm sure that the mix is not great, I'm just not spending much time there because I feel like that's something I can get later, it's the arrangement that I just can't do.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Circuit93 View Post

I'm a square one newb at electronic production. Still learning my way around ableton, my instruments, and this type of music in general. I've sketched out quite a few ideas that I like, but keep deleting them out of frustration because I can't figure out how to turn them into songs.

This is my latest sketch, and I've decided I'm going to turn this thing into a song even if it sucks, but I just can't figure out any way to have a smooth intro or really anyway to flesh it out more. Was wondering if maybe someone had some ideas of what I should try, not asking for someone to to do it for me, just some direction. I've tried samples, running through the chord progression etc, but as soon as I try to incorporate this loop, it just sounds jarring like it doesn't belong

I'm sure that the mix is not great, I'm just not spending much time there because I feel like that's something I can get later, it's the arrangement that I just can't do.
Okay, I'm gonna try to help you out here because I remember what it was like when I first started writing songs 40 years ago.

I was pretty much like you. I just made a melody and some chords and just kept repeating it over and over. Except it didn't sound nearly as good as what you just posted. Yeah, I was THAT bad.

The first thing you need to do is learn song structure. There is no way around this. What you have there is the basis for the "A" section of your song. There are a number of things you can do from this point. You can keep it simple and make that loop the entire "A" section, maybe repeating it 4 times, and then create another melody and make that your "B" section and then just alternate between the two. That would make your song ABABA form, where you end with the "A" section and let it fade out.

Here is a song I did where I pretty much did just that with a little intro at the beginning. I did modify the 2nd "B" section into a "C" section (a 3rd melody) but the principle is the same. Oh, and I also repeated the intro towards the end. In other words, I took the various parts and sprinkled them around to give the illusion of variety. But in truth, most popular songs are very repetitive. All you need is 2 or 3 sections and some modification on the arrangement.

The basic structure of that song is very simple.

Stick around. I'll be giving you some more tips, tricks, and examples over the next few days.

Call it my way of giving back to the community.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

Okay, the next song structure is AABA.

This is where you have your main section of a song, repeat it, and then go to a different melody for the B section before you finish with the "A" section again.

This song I wrote for the Great American Song Contest where I was one of the finalists. Listen carefully to each section and see if you can spot where the "B" section comes in. It should be very obvious.

I actually wrote this song for a songwriting course I took to get better with lyric writing which was my weak point. My remaining weak points, which actually have nothing to do with writing, are mixing and mastering. Having bad ears where I can't hear upper ranges doesn't help. But that's another story.

I'll have an example of Verse Chorus and Verse Verse Chorus next.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

Okay, this song is Verse, Pre Chorus, Chorus repeated twice and then a bridge before repeating the chorus again. The song then ends with the chorus again after an instrumental section. This is another very common song structure.

Whatever can be said about any problems with the mix, EQ, compression and all that technical stuff that I suck at, the song is very well constructed both musically and lyrically.

It took me years to get to the point where I can do stuff even that good.

Songwriting is hard. Well, good songwriting is hard.

Take a course. Learn song structure. Learn to recognize song structures when you hear a song. It'll help you improve as a writer.

Let me know if you have any specific questions. I'll be happy to answer them.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Hey Wag, just realised I never really set my song structure out (ABABA etc), but I do find many of my songs follow the same structure and I find that a bit tedious. I will make a concerted effort to mix it up a bit!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by wagtunes View Post
Okay, I'm gonna try to help you out here because I remember what it was like when I first started writing songs 40 years ago.

I was pretty much like you. I just made a melody and some chords and just kept repeating it over and over. Except it didn't sound nearly as good as what you just posted. Yeah, I was THAT bad.

The first thing you need to do is learn song structure. There is no way around this. What you have there is the basis for the "A" section of your song. There are a number of things you can do from this point. You can keep it simple and make that loop the entire "A" section, maybe repeating it 4 times, and then create another melody and make that your "B" section and then just alternate between the two. That would make your song ABABA form, where you end with the "A" section and let it fade out.

Here is a song I did where I pretty much did just that with a little intro at the beginning. I did modify the 2nd "B" section into a "C" section (a 3rd melody) but the principle is the same. Oh, and I also repeated the intro towards the end. In other words, I took the various parts and sprinkled them around to give the illusion of variety. But in truth, most popular songs are very repetitive. All you need is 2 or 3 sections and some modification on the arrangement.

The basic structure of that song is very simple.

Stick around. I'll be giving you some more tips, tricks, and examples over the next few days.

Call it my way of giving back to the community.
Ha, it goes against my better judgment to say this as a metalhead but I really dig that little tune.. Kind of reminds me of a game track I'd be bopping my head around to. Cool stuff.!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hey Wag, just realised I never really set my song structure out (ABABA etc), but I do find many of my songs follow the same structure and I find that a bit tedious. I will make a concerted effort to mix it up a bit!
Varying your song structure is one of the easiest ways to add diversity to your music without necessarily having to change your sound or style. Of course I'm a freaking chameleon when it comes to writing but there aren't a lot of writers who can or even like to do that because most people tend to gravitate towards a genre that they prefer. I'm simply the product of someone who grew up in a home that listened to opera, symphonies, show tunes, jazz and The Beatles. My childhood prepared me for the composer that I've become.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Quote:

That was cool. I'd add some high end to your voice. It sounds a bit muffled/dull compared to all the other sounds in the mix. You could use some EQ but I'd go for a bit of saturation/distortion. Not so much that it starts merging with the distorted guitars but enough to add a bit of sparkle and a slight edge to the sound.

Alistair
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Intro is a little long... Kicks in around 1:27 or so.

Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Quote:

Is that the actual loop as it is in your DAW? Does your loop start at that point in your DAW? If so it is not surprising that you are having a hard time adding an intro as your loop doesn't actually start at the beginning of the musical phrase.

The easiest way to approach making electronic music in a DAW is to work in sections that are multiples of 8/16/32 bars. (You can also do sections of 12 bars or do more complex rhythms but I would keep it simple to start with). If you are starting with a loop that you intend to extend to a full length song, start with the first kick downbeat on one of those multiples but keep in mind that most DAWs start counting at bar 1 (not zero). So start your loop at for instance bar 17. That means you have 16 empty bars in front where you can later add an intro.

You can just ignore the empty section at the beginning of the project until you have fleshed out a musical idea. Make a loop of 16 bars (or 8, that also works) and work in that loop starting with the kick on the downbeat, exactly at bar 17.

One classic mistake many beginners make is to keep the section looping for long periods. They then loose track of where the loop actually starts from a musical point of view. So stop the DAW often and launch it from the first bar of your loop (so say bar 17) and check if it is actually a logical point to start playing. If it doesn't feel/sound like a good place to start, fix that by shifting the melody so that it feels like a melodic start before moving on.

Once you have fleshed out a musical idea, you can then copy that melodic idea to the section before your loop and that will be a rudimentary intro. Then exactly at bar 17 your kick will hit and it will all make sense and people will be able to follow what is going on.

This is rudimentary but once you have the hang of that, you can do more complex stuff and for instance, have the melody starting slightly before the downbeat (like you often hear singers do) and try other experiments. But get the basics covered first by keeping it simple or you will needlessly frustrate yourself.

Here is a typical example of this kind of approach:

Listen to that synth sound that starts at the beginning. It loops for exactly 12 bars and then, right on cue, the kick drum hits on bar 13. (Ignore the voice as it will just add confusion).

Yes this is super predictable (hence the more than 2 billion views! ) but this is what music is mostly about: Predictability with a tiny bit of novelty. If people can not predict what is about to happen musically, at least from a rhythmical point of view, they will quickly switch off.

Of course once you have mastered the basics you can move on from there and do more complex stuff and maybe tease your audience and do something a bit less expected. But start with the basics.

Alistair
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderTow View Post
Is that the actual loop as it is in your DAW? Does your loop start at that point in your DAW? If so it is not surprising that you are having a hard time adding an intro as your loop doesn't actually start at the beginning of the musical phrase.

The easiest way to approach making electronic music in a DAW is to work in sections that are multiples of 8/16/32 bars. (You can also do sections of 12 bars or do more complex rhythms but I would keep it simple to start with). If you are starting with a loop that you intend to extend to a full length song, start with the first kick downbeat on one of those multiples but keep in mind that most DAWs start counting at bar 1 (not zero). So start your loop at for instance bar 17. That means you have 16 empty bars in front where you can later add an intro.

You can just ignore the empty section at the beginning of the project until you have fleshed out a musical idea. Make a loop of 16 bars (or 8, that also works) and work in that loop starting with the kick on the downbeat, exactly at bar 17.

One classic mistake many beginners make is to keep the section looping for long periods. They then loose track of where the loop actually starts from a musical point of view. So stop the DAW often and launch it from the first bar of your loop (so say bar 17) and check if it is actually a logical point to start playing. If it doesn't feel/sound like a good place to start, fix that by shifting the melody so that it feels like a melodic start before moving on.

Once you have fleshed out a musical idea, you can then copy that melodic idea to the section before your loop and that will be a rudimentary intro. Then exactly at bar 17 your kick will hit and it will all make sense and people will be able to follow what is going on.

This is rudimentary but once you have the hang of that, you can do more complex stuff and for instance, have the melody starting slightly before the downbeat (like you often hear singers do) and try other experiments. But get the basics covered first by keeping it simple or you will needlessly frustrate yourself.

Here is a typical example of this kind of approach:

Listen to that synth sound that starts at the beginning. It loops for exactly 12 bars and then, right on cue, the kick drum hits on bar 13. (Ignore the voice as it will just add confusion).

Yes this is super predictable (hence the more than 2 billion views! ) but this is what music is mostly about: Predictability with a tiny bit of novelty. If people can not predict what is about to happen musically, at least from a rhythmical point of view, they will quickly switch off.

Of course once you have mastered the basics you can move on from there and do more complex stuff and maybe tease your audience and do something a bit less expected. But start with the basics.

Alistair
no for some reason thats just how it uploaded into soundcloud, i must have accidentally changed the start time on the export.

Thank you though, i think im probably just overthinking things
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderTow View Post
That was cool. I'd add some high end to your voice. It sounds a bit muffled/dull compared to all the other sounds in the mix. You could use some EQ but I'd go for a bit of saturation/distortion. Not so much that it starts merging with the distorted guitars but enough to add a bit of sparkle and a slight edge to the sound.

Alistair
Thanks I appreciate it, yeah agree on the vox.. Y'know I've always wanted to re-create that track with "expensive" gear and see how it stacks up. Again it's cost me more to buy a single plugin than the summation of everything in that track (including instruments and every piece of recording equipment), it was for a bet to see what I could do with rubbish.

That recording is seven / eight years old and I dumped the project files years ago so I couldn't modify the original anyway.

From an arrangement standpoint, I always thought it could do with more "energy".

I shall post when completed ..
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Thanks I appreciate it, yeah agree on the vox.. Y'know I've always wanted to re-create that track with "expensive" gear and see how it stacks up. Again it's cost me more to buy a single plugin than the summation of everything in that track (including instruments and every piece of recording equipment), it was for a bet to see what I could do with rubbish.

That recording is seven / eight years old and I dumped the project files years ago so I couldn't modify the original anyway.

From an arrangement standpoint, I always thought it could do with more "energy".

I shall post when completed ..
Why not just add another "doubled" vocal with lots of top end, but little low end. This may add the sparkle it needs.

I did this with a track years ago, I augmented the stereo mix I had (with various bits and pieces), as I did not have the stems or project and it was fine.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Why not just add another "doubled" vocal with lots of top end, but little low end. This may add the sparkle it needs.

I did this with a track years ago, I augmented the stereo mix I had (with various bits and pieces), as I did not have the stems or project and it was fine.
Because it's nearly a decade old and I don't have access to it, that track was made in a free multi-tracker which had some of the worst dynamics processors you can get. Also I'm sure the £35.00 microphone didn't help, it's really very simple to fix.. Use my own equipment and tools..

It was a test, created with the sole purpose of proving a gear snob wrong. They said to me "you have to spend at least 5K to make a decent track" and I said I'll do it for 200 quid .. No doubt it can be better, but it wasn't pure garbage as the gear snob said it would be.

Not that I disagree with anything you're saying, just pointing out it is what it is for a reason.. I wouldn't of used EZdrummer or that horrible korg distortion peddle either if we're "fixing things" .
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Because it's nearly a decade old and I don't have access to it, that track was made in a free multi-tracker which had some of the worst dynamics processors you can get. Also I'm sure the £35.00 microphone didn't help, it's really very simple to fix.. Use my own equipment and tools..

It was a test, created with the sole purpose of proving a gear snob wrong. They said to me "you have to spend at least 5K to make a decent track" and I said I'll do it for 200 quid .. No doubt it can be better, but it wasn't pure garbage as the gear snob said it would be.

Not that I disagree with anything you're saying, just pointing out it is what it is for a reason.. I wouldn't of used EZdrummer or that horrible korg distortion peddle either if we're "fixing things" .
Well, even if you only have the mp3, you could still take that into your DAW and add another vocal layer. Yes, I realise this version would not be suitable for the under £200 challenge (unless you use a free DAW and a 3U Audio Teal or something) but you have still proven your point with the original version, it's just you would have another version that you may like the sound of even more, just to play for yourself??
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Well, even if you only have the mp3, you could still take that into your DAW and add another vocal layer. Yes, I realise this version would not be suitable for the under £200 challenge (unless you use a free DAW and a 3U Audio Teal or something) but you have still proven your point with the original version, it's just you would have another version that you may like the sound of even more, just to play for yourself??
Sure thing, I wouldn't mind doing it again from scratch for practice purposes if nothing else. I need easing back into the process and it's easier to do a song you already know then start from scratch. It'll be interesting to see how it turns out..

I'm just glad anyone paid any attention to it , IMO it's the worst when people are completly indifferent.

I am looking forward to some feedback on later tracks, I honestly really do appreciate the feedback and I might need a bit of hand holding as I adjust back. So if there's anything music related you guys and gals need let me know .
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search