The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Post your rough demos
Old 6 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Funk View Post
Here is the instrumental for a new track. Lyrics and melody all done and scratch vocals recorded, but as it's going to be a duet, I decided not to have my temp vocals on it for this upload and just see what you guys think of the instrumental? Anything mix wise that is not working? Is arrangement too busy or anything fighting with anything else anywhere etc?

Kane

I would add a little more pop/treble to the drum buss but that's just my inclination to make that snare crack a bit. Good luck and looking forward to the whole track, what vocal mics are you using these days?
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by RKeefe1032 View Post
I would add a little more pop/treble to the drum buss but that's just my inclination to make that snare crack a bit. Good luck and looking forward to the whole track, what vocal mics are you using these days?
Thanks for the suggestion.

Still using the Peluso 2247SE and Shure KSM313, but for this track, I'm going to try recording with the Shure and an Electrovoice RE1000 and blending the two.

Hoping to get a Barbaric Amplification mic (or two) next year.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Here is the instrumental for a new track. Lyrics and melody all done and scratch vocals recorded, but as it's going to be a duet, I decided not to have my temp vocals on it for this upload and just see what you guys think of the instrumental? Anything mix wise that is not working? Is arrangement too busy or anything fighting with anything else anywhere etc?

Kane

Not much to add, just agree w/what others have said. I would prefer to hear a little more high end/brightness on it and might bring the horns up just a slight bit, but that is really nit-picking.

PS if you don't mind my asking I'm curious: how much of that is synth and how much other instruments?
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill5 View Post
Not much to add, just agree w/what others have said. I would prefer to hear a little more high end/brightness on it and might bring the horns up just a slight bit, but that is really nit-picking.

PS if you don't mind my asking I'm curious: how much of that is synth and how much other instruments?
The brightness notes have been noted, so thanks guys. I will consider the horns level, but I'll repost when vocals are done, as you may feel the horns are at right level then?

Everything is synth/VSTi apart from three guitar parts. One playing a muted rhythm, another a simply harmony strum on the first beats and another occasional simple lick with added wah). I added a real tambourine hit, cabassa and guiro, all recorded with no real thought about position etc using the RE1000 as it's super-cardioid so less room sound anyway.

I did have a GS member kindly record bass for me, but I decided to go with a keyboard bass in stead.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Everything is synth/VSTi apart from three guitar parts.
That gives me hope. Can I ask what the VSTi's were?
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill5 View Post
That gives me hope. Can I ask what the VSTi's were?
Drummer (Logic Pro). Ni Session Horns and Session Strings (both non pro versions), plus some of the strings from Logic Pro. Retro Machines 2. Tamb 2 (tambourine). Also a conga loop and a cut up timbales loop.

I think that's it!

Oh, I also used the Rhodes in Logic Pro blended with one in Cakewalk Z3TA+. Also Retro Synth (also Logic Pro) for bass and VSCO2 flute.

Last edited by Mr Funk; 4 days ago at 10:49 PM..
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear
Here is a new mix, taking into account the comments here. Think it's better, so thanks as always chaps.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Yep! Definitely chicken dinner. Feels more spacious to me.
Now, let's hear those vocals.
Old 2 days ago
Gear Maniac

Me, I use soundcloud as a storehouse for barely-complete demos of songs I have written. Mostly the singing, recording and production are rough, to say the least, but you did say "post your rough demos here" y/n?
Knock yourself out:

https://soundcloud.com/albrookessong...on-the-highway
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnS37 View Post
Me, I use soundcloud as a storehouse for barely-complete demos of songs I have written. Mostly the singing, recording and production are rough, to say the least, but you did say "post your rough demos here" y/n?
Knock yourself out:

John, just wanted to let you know that I did listen to this.

Nothing to comment though. Sorry.
Old 2 days ago
Gear Maniac

Thanks Wag. Nice to know there's someone out there . .
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks Wag. Nice to know there's someone out there . .
Believe me, I know the feeling. I basically stopped posting my stuff here because the place is a ghost town. It's a miracle if I get one comment.

As for your track, I had trouble hearing the arrangement so I couldn't really comment on the song. The vocals seemed to overpower everything and it's hard to comment on something when you can only hear part of it. That's why I chose to not comment. I'll blame it on my almost 60 year old ears but for whatever reason, I had problems making out the instrumental track.
Old 2 days ago
Quote:
Knock yourself out:

Classic feel and construction melody and tune wise. I like it. I note your comment and will save any mix feedback as it's a rough. One thing that tripped me up a bit was in the middle eighth section where you meet the chick. It seems lyrically the meter and rhyming scheme gets a little out of whack especially that part where she's exhorting you to burn "burn rubber." Almost like there's too many syllables to fit that stanza and then too few when it transitions out back into the main verse. Might want to play with the words/meter there. Or, maybe I'm just hearing things wrong. Again, I likes and it has a very classic vibe. FWIW
Wheels
Old 1 day ago
Gear Maniac

Many thanks for your comments, Wheels and Wag. The songs I post on SC are usually put up prematurely, before they have had any decent massaging.
You're right about the timing at the end of the middle 8, but it's mainly the rhythm guitar that's out of whack. I had just got into the habit of playing it that way.
I'll punch in a new phrase I think.
All best,
John
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Well, I just finished my latest CD. It took me 2 months to do this one spending an average of 5 days per song on it.

I learned something very interesting from this project.

It isn't how long you spend on a song that matters. At least not in my case. The CD is decent. It's certainly not terrible. I've done worse. Some of the songs are a bit odd. I did some intricate drum machine stuff on a few, something I don't normally do. There's a tribute to Meatloaf towards the end. And the whole thing is certainly listenable. But there's something missing.

I call it magic fairy dust. It's that little bit of inspiration that makes something stand out. My 80s CD had it, even though I was cranking out a song a day. My Broadway soundtrack had it even though it only took me 35 days to do 17 tracks. My prog rock CD had it even though I finished 8 very long songs in 22 days.

Inspiration doesn't need a lot of time. You can spend a year on a song. But if that magic fairy dust isn't there.

I'm not going to post any links beyond the first 2 tracks that I posted earlier when I stopped posting my music. But if anybody wants to listen to anything, you know where my Soundcloud page is.

Songs to listen to

God Come Save Me Now - Really nice song that I wrote for church but doesn't have a church sound to it. It's really more of a pop song.

If I Could Go Back (And Do It All Over Again) - My tribute to Meatloaf. The verse is right out of Bat Out Of Hell. The chorus is original and repeated in the title track that follows and ends the CD.

Sins Of The Father - Well constructed but missing that fairy dust. Same could be said about If I Could Go Back which was very well played and arranged. But no fairy dust.

I don't know. Maybe I'm out of fairy dust. Maybe I'm heading for another 5 year break like I had between 2004 and 2008. Didn't write a song during those 5 years. Honestly didn't think I'd ever write again. I was just totally burnt out. Been going almost non stop since the end of 2008. In fact, here's the whole list of CDs that I did since that time and the years.

5 Years After - 10/07/08
Stuck In A Fantasy - 02/11/09
50 - 08/09/09
Rubber Water's Revenge - 11/20/09
Welcome To Hell - 02/17/10
All The Kings Men - 04/19/10
Back Together Again II - 05/21/10
Where Dreams Go To Die - 06/09/10
The Lost Tapes II - 08/05/10
Transformation - 04/18/12
Modern Classics - 06/23/13
Modern Classics II - 07/12/13
Modern Classics III - 08/02/13
Modern Classics IV - 08/27/13
The Singles - 11/15/13
The Singles Vol 2 - 03/27/15
Dance Beats - 05/16/15
The Singles Vol 3 - 06/01/15
The Singles Vol 4 - 01/16/16
The Vocaloids A Little At A Time - 07/09/16
Once Upon A Time - 08/26/16
M - 10/17/16
The Lost Tapes III - 10/20/16
The Reflecting Pool - 11/09/16
Back Together Again III - 12/01/16
Glitch - 12/27/16
Guitars From Hell - 12/30/16
The Dungeon Masters - 02/01/17
No Signal - 02/17/17
A Whole Lotta Country - 02/28/17
80s Squared - 04/03/17
Resisting The Temptation - 04/17/17
Bananas Crackers And Nuts - 05/01/17
Amp It Up - 05/17/17
Sins Of The Father - 07/25/17

So as you can see, I've been very busy.

I don't know what's next for me. Problem is, I don't really have a lot of things to do and if I don't write for a while, I get restless.

Anyway, that's it for me for now. Like I said, if anybody wants to listen to anything, you know where I am. I'm done posting stuff here. It's just too frustrating when I get like one listen. Maybe 2.

If anybody does listen, feel free to comment.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Knock yourself out:

I agree with Wagtunes here, the music needs to be much louder. I think you should try recording the vocal with the music much higher in your cans so that you get some grit in the voice as I feel that the whole thing is a bit lacking in energy. If you had to push your singing a bit it would rock more IMO.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagtunes View Post
Well, I just finished my latest CD. It took me 2 months to do this one spending an average of 5 days per song on it.

I learned something very interesting from this project.

It isn't how long you spend on a song that matters. At least not in my case. The CD is decent. It's certainly not terrible. I've done worse. Some of the songs are a bit odd. I did some intricate drum machine stuff on a few, something I don't normally do. There's a tribute to Meatloaf towards the end. And the whole thing is certainly listenable. But there's something missing.

I call it magic fairy dust. It's that little bit of inspiration that makes something stand out. My 80s CD had it, even though I was cranking out a song a day. My Broadway soundtrack had it even though it only took me 35 days to do 17 tracks. My prog rock CD had it even though I finished 8 very long songs in 22 days.

Inspiration doesn't need a lot of time. You can spend a year on a song. But if that magic fairy dust isn't there.

I'm not going to post any links beyond the first 2 tracks that I posted earlier when I stopped posting my music. But if anybody wants to listen to anything, you know where my Soundcloud page is.

Songs to listen to

God Come Save Me Now - Really nice song that I wrote for church but doesn't have a church sound to it. It's really more of a pop song.

If I Could Go Back (And Do It All Over Again) - My tribute to Meatloaf. The verse is right out of Bat Out Of Hell. The chorus is original and repeated in the title track that follows and ends the CD.

Sins Of The Father - Well constructed but missing that fairy dust. Same could be said about If I Could Go Back which was very well played and arranged. But no fairy dust.

I don't know. Maybe I'm out of fairy dust. Maybe I'm heading for another 5 year break like I had between 2004 and 2008. Didn't write a song during those 5 years. Honestly didn't think I'd ever write again. I was just totally burnt out. Been going almost non stop since the end of 2008. In fact, here's the whole list of CDs that I did since that time and the years.

5 Years After - 10/07/08
Stuck In A Fantasy - 02/11/09
50 - 08/09/09
Rubber Water's Revenge - 11/20/09
Welcome To Hell - 02/17/10
All The Kings Men - 04/19/10
Back Together Again II - 05/21/10
Where Dreams Go To Die - 06/09/10
The Lost Tapes II - 08/05/10
Transformation - 04/18/12
Modern Classics - 06/23/13
Modern Classics II - 07/12/13
Modern Classics III - 08/02/13
Modern Classics IV - 08/27/13
The Singles - 11/15/13
The Singles Vol 2 - 03/27/15
Dance Beats - 05/16/15
The Singles Vol 3 - 06/01/15
The Singles Vol 4 - 01/16/16
The Vocaloids A Little At A Time - 07/09/16
Once Upon A Time - 08/26/16
M - 10/17/16
The Lost Tapes III - 10/20/16
The Reflecting Pool - 11/09/16
Back Together Again III - 12/01/16
Glitch - 12/27/16
Guitars From Hell - 12/30/16
The Dungeon Masters - 02/01/17
No Signal - 02/17/17
A Whole Lotta Country - 02/28/17
80s Squared - 04/03/17
Resisting The Temptation - 04/17/17
Bananas Crackers And Nuts - 05/01/17
Amp It Up - 05/17/17
Sins Of The Father - 07/25/17

So as you can see, I've been very busy.

I don't know what's next for me. Problem is, I don't really have a lot of things to do and if I don't write for a while, I get restless.

Anyway, that's it for me for now. Like I said, if anybody wants to listen to anything, you know where I am. I'm done posting stuff here. It's just too frustrating when I get like one listen. Maybe 2.

That's an incredible amount of work man!
I have been struggling to get my first album out for nearly as long as that
I will take a listen to your new album and let you know what I think.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
This song took me about a week to do, which for me is an eternity. I've discovered that it really doesn't matter how long I work on a song. My limited talent only takes things so far. But at least I know I put the time and effort into it, not that you could tell it apart from something that I knocked out in a day. In fact, the song previous to this, I wrote off the top of my head and recorded in about 2 hours. Of course that was pure inspiration. Still, it's a better song and, I think, a better production.

Anyway, here it is. The 2nd track from my upcoming CD "Sins Of The Father". As I don't have any ideas at the moment, this could be my last one for a while.

Sins And Sanctuary

What are my crimes
I need to know
If I am to die
Who'll cast the stone
Even the wicked
Gets a reprieve
Sins and sanctuary

Who is to say
If I've done wrong
Where does it say that
I must be gone
Even the wicked
Gets a reprieve
Sins and sanctuary

Lots of great things going on in this one. At first I was a little put off by the bass and of course you know what I think about the Vocaloid sound, but musically it is very good. The breaks and changes in texture work very well, your sound design and tonal choices are spot on for the most part. It sounds lush.
The only things I would change are the bass and the vocal.
The bass I feel would benefit from the same effect as the lead sound it just feels too pedestrian and yet takes a vital melodic role. It needs a bit more bite too, at times it seems a little sloppy against the kick when it needs to be really tight IMO.
The thing I think you need to do is start to treat Vocaloid more as another musical element. Mess with the treatment, add some interesting effects and doubling, try putting it through a harmoniser mix some of the voices together in the chorus to add impact perhaps create a choir, you get the idea.
Time to put that mad scientist lab coat on again Wagtunes and get excited about the possibilities of mixing thing up a bit. The fairy dust is still there it just needs the dirt and tarnish wiping off, that's the tired old habits that we all fall into which cramp our creative spirit.

Last edited by Zyzygis; 1 day ago at 07:15 AM..
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

I'm having trouble getting your songs on Soundcloud.

I don't know if it's my browser or if it's just Soundcloud being funky.

Could you post a link to your albums here?
Old 21 hours ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyzygis View Post
I'm having trouble getting your songs on Soundcloud.

I don't know if it's my browser or if it's just Soundcloud being funky.

Could you post a link to your albums here?
Which one? LMAO
Old 10 hours ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Which one? LMAO
The latest one, the church songs I think that's the one you posted last?
Old 10 hours ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
The latest one, the church songs I think that's the one you posted last?
Here you go Z.

https://soundcloud.com/steven-wagenh...-of-the-father

Enjoy!

PS - Not much worth listening to except for maybe the tracks I listed. The drum machine stuff (Rubber Sin, Chain Of Lies) has some cool rhythms but not much else.
Old 7 hours ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Here you go Z.

https://soundcloud.com/steven-wagenh...-of-the-father

Enjoy!

PS - Not much worth listening to except for maybe the tracks I listed. The drum machine stuff (Rubber Sin, Chain Of Lies) has some cool rhythms but not much else.
Thanks Wag!

I listened through and these are my thoughts:

Firstly, great sound design and a lot of the music is wonderful. Great textures and rhythms, especially when you allow more syncopation and detail in Rubber Sin, for example, where the bass and percussion bubble like a dark sticky mud pit under the music, and I mean that in a good way.
Atmosphere is key to bring out the best in these songs and at times it seems a bit lacking. I often found myself wishing you had used a different bass and kick sound where they fought against the mood rather than enhancing it.
E.g. After My Sins Are Gone would work much better with a more fluid bass with a longer attack and a less clicky kick IMO. The effect is to bring everything right up front and leave no depth of field in the mix. The song is rather good, in spite of Vocaloid.
Warped Sin is another one which has that atmospheric thing going on. It's not just the complexity of the rhythm but the light and shade which gives more depth.

Often the vocal melodies feel a bit tired and lacking in sophistication, in fact they often sound childish and unadventurous, I am sure that this has a lot to do with the fact they are sequenced and rarely deviate from the beat though there is an over relying on the same melodic figures and note jumps which gets repetitive and drags things down.

There is a lot of great music here but I think you will need to keep things fresh with the bass lines and sounds, more fluidity overall and less cliche, and the Vocaloid needs to be pushed much further to keep it from sounding lame.
The latter may take some doing, the characters being so 'baked in' but I am sure there are ways if you allow yourself to leave the comfort zone and rip things up a bit.
Old 6 hours ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks Wag!

I listened through and these are my thoughts:

Firstly, great sound design and a lot of the music is wonderful. Great textures and rhythms, especially when you allow more syncopation and detail in Rubber Sin, for example, where the bass and percussion bubble like a dark sticky mud pit under the music, and I mean that in a good way.
Atmosphere is key to bring out the best in these songs and at times it seems a bit lacking. I often found myself wishing you had used a different bass and kick sound where they fought against the mood rather than enhancing it.
E.g. After My Sins Are Gone would work much better with a more fluid bass with a longer attack and a less clicky kick IMO. The effect is to bring everything right up front and leave no depth of field in the mix. The song is rather good, in spite of Vocaloid.
Warped Sin is another one which has that atmospheric thing going on. It's not just the complexity of the rhythm but the light and shade which gives more depth.

Often the vocal melodies feel a bit tired and lacking in sophistication, in fact they often sound childish and unadventurous, I am sure that this has a lot to do with the fact they are sequenced and rarely deviate from the beat though there is an over relying on the same melodic figures and note jumps which gets repetitive and drags things down.

There is a lot of great music here but I think you will need to keep things fresh with the bass lines and sounds, more fluidity overall and less cliche, and the Vocaloid needs to be pushed much further to keep it from sounding lame.
The latter may take some doing, the characters being so 'baked in' but I am sure there are ways if you allow yourself to leave the comfort zone and rip things up a bit.
Thanks Z. Yeah, no arguments on any of the above. I think when I do my next CD (whenever that is) I'm going to throw everything out the window as far as conformity. It may end up sounding like a total train wreck but it won't be boring. I just need to come up with an interesting theme. I've been toying with doing a CD about botany or biology or something scientific. I'm thinking of doing something like JMM's Oxygene except with vocals. But the vocals used more as an instrument than a vocal, if you know what I mean, with lots of FX. Couple of titles I've been messing with are "Flora" and "Fauna" and stuff like that.

I might take the rest of the summer off and start up fresh again in September. By then I should have some decent ideas to toss around. And like I said, just throw out all the rules. So combining a Sitar with a Wub Wub Bass is not off limits.

This might turn out to be the most interesting CD I've done yet, if not the most musical.

I'll let you know when it's done. Probably won't be until sometime in October.

Thanks again for listening.
Old 3 hours ago
Juno lovers 707 Beat...Syntronik used in this one!
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search