The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Post your rough demos
Old 22nd April 2017
  #3031
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagtunes View Post
3rd track from my upcoming CD "Bananas Crackers And Nuts"

I'm sure the group I "emulated" is crystal clear obvious, at least musically if not vocally, which would have been extremely difficult if not impossible to do.

Blame It On The DJ

It's crystal clear obvious when you know what the answer is ,haha..
I think I've guessed about 5% of these so far...
to me, sounds like a cross between Boney-M and the Jackson 5 but I know that's no where near.

Will you be doing any tracks on this new one that aren't inspired by "outside" influences? I know that's a bit silly 'cos were all influenced by lot's of stuff around us, but you know what I mean.

Dakoda.
Old 22nd April 2017
  #3032
Lives for gear
 
wagtunes's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakoda Sada View Post
It's crystal clear obvious when you know what the answer is ,haha..
I think I've guessed about 5% of these so far...
to me, sounds like a cross between Boney-M and the Jackson 5 but I know that's no where near.

Will you be doing any tracks on this new one that aren't inspired by "outside" influences? I know that's a bit silly 'cos were all influenced by lot's of stuff around us, but you know what I mean.

Dakoda.
Actually, the first two tracks weren't inspired by any groups in particular. I was just emulating a genre in general. And in the case of track 2, more like 3 genres. This is the first one where I listened to a group and said, "Okay, I'm going to do a disco song in their style."

I guess you weren't a huge 70s disco fan?

Anyway, next track is going to be another country one.
Old 22nd April 2017
  #3033
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagtunes View Post
Actually, the first two tracks weren't inspired by any groups in particular. I was just emulating a genre in general. And in the case of track 2, more like 3 genres. This is the first one where I listened to a group and said, "Okay, I'm going to do a disco song in their style."

I guess you weren't a huge 70s disco fan?

Anyway, next track is going to be another country one.
when I said the Jackson 5 or Boney-M , I meant that guess was probably nowhere near, not your track! What band was it , that inspired that one?
Dakoda.
Old 22nd April 2017
  #3034
Lives for gear
 
wagtunes's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakoda Sada View Post
when I said the Jackson 5 or Boney-M , I meant that guess was probably nowhere near, not your track! What band was it , that inspired that one?
Dakoda.
Ah, okay. Listen to the Bee Gees "Night Fever." The string riffs are almost flat out rip offs. Tempo at 109 is exact. Even through the Rhodes glissando in there on the last choruses.
Old 22nd April 2017
  #3035
Lives for gear
 
wagtunes's Avatar
4th track from my upcoming CD "Bananas Crackers And Nuts"

Okay, there's a story behind this one.

My wife makes me homemade oatmeal raisin cookies regularly. She's going away for a few days so she wanted to make the next batch early. Problem is, there was no place to put them so she took a little tin and a little bag and put the old cookies in them so the new ones could go in the cookie jar.

Anyway, I was reaching for one of the old cookies and she says to me, "What are you going to go for, the tin or the bag?"

And that's when I responded, "That could be a good title for a song, tin and bag."

Well, she looked at me like I was crazy. "Really?" She said.

I said "I'll show you. I'm gonna make a great country song titled Tin and Bag"

Well, here it is. I'm convinced I could write a song called Ignatz and Poindexter and make it sound good.

I can assure you, this isn't at all what you're going to expect.

Tin And Bag

Hit the trail with my back pack on
Not a care in the world
Hit the trail til the blues are gone
Say goodbye to my girl

And so time to get on my way
Got everything I need to make my day

Got my tin and bag
Got my good old beer stained rag
Got my memories in my suitcase
Gonna play some laser tag
Got my hopes and dreams
Got eternity it seems
Got the whole world there before me
Though I'm not sure what it means

As I think of the years gone by
Wonder where they went to
If I had nothing left to try
But just one thing to do

Repeat Pre Chorus and Chorus

And so I go
One thing I know
There is a show
For me to be free

Repeat Chorus

Old 23rd April 2017
  #3036
Lives for gear
 
wagtunes's Avatar
5th track from my upcoming CD "Bananas Crackers And Nuts"

Cool

Hide your heart I don't mind it
Hide your heart I'll still find it

Cause you know it's cool
Yeah you know it's cool
Though I play the fool
Yeah I play the fool
And I don't mind at all

Hide your heart If you need to
Hide your heart I'll still feed you

Repeat Chorus 2x

Old 23rd April 2017
  #3037
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagtunes View Post
5th track from my upcoming CD "Bananas Crackers And Nuts"
Cool
My favourite , so far, the vibe and bass line made me think of the Pet Shop Boys
(one of the tracks they did with Dusty Springfield)
good job mate,
Dakoda.
Old 23rd April 2017
  #3038
Lives for gear
Seeing as how it's getting close to that time of year, I thought I'd repost this song that welcomes Summer. Co-written with Jerry Dietzel. https://soundcloud.com/rob-layman/finally-summertime

Last edited by Rockinrob; 23rd April 2017 at 08:00 PM..
Old 23rd April 2017
  #3039
Lives for gear
 
wagtunes's Avatar
6th track from my upcoming CD "Bananas Crackers And Nuts"

This one was WAY out of my comfort zone. Getting Vocaloid to swing is a real PITA.

This will absolutely be the only track of this genre in this collection.

Boogie On Down

Hey hey baby
Won't you boogie on down
Hey hey baby
Won't you boogie on down
I'm gonna rock your whole world
Rock it all over town

Hey hey baby
Won't you rock me tonight
Hey hey baby
Won't you rock me tonight
I'm gonna rock your whole world
Make it all oh so right

Long instrumental break

Hey hey baby
Time to take me back home
Hey hey baby
Time to take me back home
And I will rock your whole world
Cause you won't be alone

Old 23rd April 2017
  #3040
Lives for gear
 
wagtunes's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockinrob View Post
Seeing as how it's getting close to that time of year, I thought I'd repost this song that welcomes Summer. Co-written with Jerry Dietzel. https://soundcloud.com/rob-layman/finally-summertime
Wow...what's the time signature of the verse? Had a ton of trouble following the beat. Sounds like might be 5/4 but not sure.

Anyway, cool song.
Old 24th April 2017
  #3041
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by wagtunes View Post
Wow...what's the time signature of the verse? Had a ton of trouble following the beat. Sounds like might be 5/4 but not sure.

Anyway, cool song.
Thanks. I'm not really sure of the timing. Thinking of it right now in my head, it seems like it could just be a simple 4/4 time but I'm not sure. Thanks for listening and commenting.
Old 24th April 2017
  #3042
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockinrob View Post
Thanks. I'm not really sure of the timing. Thinking of it right now in my head, it seems like it could just be a simple 4/4 time but I'm not sure. Thanks for listening and commenting.
Seems 4/4 to me too.
Old 24th April 2017
  #3043
Lives for gear
 
wagtunes's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Funk View Post
Seems 4/4 to me too.
Definitely not. It's so choppy (unlike Pink Floyd's Money which is 4/4, 3/4 but easy to follow) that I can't pinpoint the time signature for the verse. Chorus is straight 4/4. That's obvious.

The OP himself said he doesn't know what the time signature is, which means they played it by feel.

Listen carefully and try to tap out a straight 4/4 beat with 1 landing on every first accented beat. You can't do it. In fact, I'm starting to think the whole verse is played so much by feel that there's no time signature at all, which is why I'm having so much trouble with it.
Old 24th April 2017
  #3044
Lives for gear
 
wagtunes's Avatar
I've started doing my tech study on the piece. It's 102 bpm (online beat calculator). If I could download it, I'd load it into Cubase and sync it up to the metronome but downloads aren't enabled.

It appears, in the first 20 seconds, that the snare shifts from beats 2 and 4 to 1 and 3 with no clear starting and stopping, which means a beat is either added or dropped somewhere in there which means at least in one spot we've either gone to 3/4 or 5/4. It sounds more 3/4 because of the sudden down strum of the guitar a beat before it should come down if it's straight 4/4.

About mid way through the verse, it seems to even out to a straight 4/4 along with the chorus. But that initial verse is all over the place rhythmically.
Old 24th April 2017
  #3045
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by wagtunes View Post
I've started doing my tech study on the piece. It's 102 bpm (online beat calculator). If I could download it, I'd load it into Cubase and sync it up to the metronome but downloads aren't enabled.

It appears, in the first 20 seconds, that the snare shifts from beats 2 and 4 to 1 and 3 with no clear starting and stopping, which means a beat is either added or dropped somewhere in there which means at least in one spot we've either gone to 3/4 or 5/4. It sounds more 3/4 because of the sudden down strum of the guitar a beat before it should come down if it's straight 4/4.

About mid way through the verse, it seems to even out to a straight 4/4 along with the chorus. But that initial verse is all over the place rhythmically.

Totally with you, the opening seemed to be not straight 4/4, but then it seemed to be for the rest, so I assumed the whole track was 4/4, but just the beginning had some off beat hits and lose playing style.
Old 24th April 2017
  #3046
Lives for gear
 
wagtunes's Avatar
Story Time

A little while back I was explaining how I would sometimes get inspiration for new songs by doing some odd things like going for a walk or a drive or randomly generating notes, titles, genres and so on.

Well, when I would do something like that, I'd usually title the album something that suggested that I was doing something to that effect.

My first collection like that was titled "Mixed Bag" (circa 1987) because that was pretty much what it was.

This was followed by...

Pot Luck (1990)
Luck Of The Draw (1994)
Anything Goes (1999)
Potpourri (2001)

I didn't do it often, but when I did, the results were sometimes a little unusual.

The current project, my first random one in over 15 years) is turning out to be no different. I have no idea where this is going to take me by the time it's all over.

Next week, maybe another story.
Old 24th April 2017
  #3047
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagtunes View Post
Story Time

A little while back I was explaining how I would sometimes get inspiration for new songs by doing some odd things like going for a walk or a drive or randomly generating notes, titles, genres and so on.

Well, when I would do something like that, I'd usually title the album something that suggested that I was doing something to that effect.

My first collection like that was titled "Mixed Bag" (circa 1987) because that was pretty much what it was.

This was followed by...

Pot Luck (1990)
Luck Of The Draw (1994)
Anything Goes (1999)
Potpourri (2001)

I didn't do it often, but when I did, the results were sometimes a little unusual.

The current project, my first random one in over 15 years) is turning out to be no different. I have no idea where this is going to take me by the time it's all over.

Next week, maybe another story.
your eventually "gunna" run out of appropriate names...
It's missing, "the album with spurious random genres"
but that's all i can think of....

(isn't making music ******* great!)
Dakoda
Old 24th April 2017
  #3048
Lives for gear
 
wagtunes's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakoda Sada View Post
your eventually "gunna" run out of appropriate names...
It's missing, "the album with spurious random genres"
but that's all i can think of....

(isn't making music ******* great!)
Dakoda
It is great. It's been the biggest part of my life since I can remember.

I think I'm going to make a CD "A Whole Bunch Of **** I Just Threw Together"

LMAO.
Old 24th April 2017
  #3049
Gear Addict
 
BeerHunter's Avatar
OK, well here goes.... one of our latest just for fun.

Lines in the Sand


Verse 1
Hello, goodbye my old friend
So good to see you...and talk again.
Years have passed and our old lives have gone away.
Cafe closed/ stories told/ but I want to stay. I want to stay

Chorus
Would you tell me the truth
If i opened up to you and let you see
Would you trust my twisted ways
Even on your darkest days, you'll see

Verse 2
Hear the tale of a lonely weary soul
Changed from fact to fiction better left untold
LINES IN THE SAND tell us more than I should know
Trust in fate and let the worry be...just let it go.

Chorus
Would you tell me the truth
If i opened up to you and let you see
Would you trust my twisted ways
Even on your darkest days, you'll see

Old 24th April 2017
  #3050
Lives for gear
 
wagtunes's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerHunter View Post
OK, well here goes.... one of our latest just for fun.

Lines in the Sand


Verse 1
Hello, goodbye my old friend
So good to see you...and talk again.
Years have passed and our old lives have gone away.
Cafe closed/ stories told/ but I want to stay. I want to stay

Chorus
Would you tell me the truth
If i opened up to you and let you see
Would you trust my twisted ways
Even on your darkest days, you'll see

Verse 2
Hear the tale of a lonely weary soul
Changed from fact to fiction better left untold
LINES IN THE SAND tell us more than I should know
Trust in fate and let the worry be...just let it go.

Chorus
Would you tell me the truth
If i opened up to you and let you see
Would you trust my twisted ways
Even on your darkest days, you'll see

Thank God...New music!!!! LMAO.

Sorry, I'm going stir crazy here. Wife is away for 4 days and I got nobody to talk to.

Anyway, love it! Reminds me of something I can't put my finger on it at the moment. But it'll come to me.

Double thumbs up

Old 24th April 2017
  #3051
Gear Addict
 
BeerHunter's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by wagtunes View Post
Thank God...New music!!!! LMAO.

Sorry, I'm going stir crazy here. Wife is away for 4 days and I got nobody to talk to.

Anyway, love it! Reminds me of something I can't put my finger on it at the moment. But it'll come to me.

Double thumbs up

Well that wasn't so bad...lol - thanks for listening!
Old 25th April 2017
  #3052
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by wagtunes View Post
Definitely not. It's so choppy (unlike Pink Floyd's Money which is 4/4, 3/4 but easy to follow) that I can't pinpoint the time signature for the verse. Chorus is straight 4/4. That's obvious.

The OP himself said he doesn't know what the time signature is, which means they played it by feel.

Listen carefully and try to tap out a straight 4/4 beat with 1 landing on every first accented beat. You can't do it. In fact, I'm starting to think the whole verse is played so much by feel that there's no time signature at all, which is why I'm having so much trouble with it.
I've done exactly that after you mentioned it and to me I was able to keep a straight 4 count through the verse. You can keep a straight 4 count throughout the whole song even if the chord changes do not come on the 1 all the time. It's kind of like Led Zeppelins Black Dog. It maintains the same time signature even through the break. Not that his song is even close to Black Dog, it's just the tempo remains the same even though the instrumentation does not change on the 1 and 4 all the time. Thanks for the though provoking input. I never really thought about it much. If it helps at all, the verse part was written by my writing partner who is a drummer. That probably explains the little oddities in it.
Old 25th April 2017
  #3053
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by wagtunes View Post
I've started doing my tech study on the piece. It's 102 bpm (online beat calculator). If I could download it, I'd load it into Cubase and sync it up to the metronome but downloads aren't enabled.

It appears, in the first 20 seconds, that the snare shifts from beats 2 and 4 to 1 and 3 with no clear starting and stopping, which means a beat is either added or dropped somewhere in there which means at least in one spot we've either gone to 3/4 or 5/4. It sounds more 3/4 because of the sudden down strum of the guitar a beat before it should come down if it's straight 4/4.

About mid way through the verse, it seems to even out to a straight 4/4 along with the chorus. But that initial verse is all over the place rhythmically.
It may seem rhythmically all over the place, but is works and it serves the song. It was done by feel yes, and it was a little odd for me to play it when it was first sent to me and I re-recorded the parts. I had to get my head around it but after I got my head into it, it was easy for me. That little turn around it what throws you off.
Old 25th April 2017
  #3054
Lives for gear
 
wagtunes's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockinrob View Post
It may seem rhythmically all over the place, but is works and it serves the song. It was done by feel yes, and it was a little odd for me to play it when it was first sent to me and I re-recorded the parts. I had to get my head around it but after I got my head into it, it was easy for me. That little turn around it what throws you off.
Don't get me wrong. I'm not criticizing it in any way. It makes it more interesting. But it's not what you would call a straight 4/4. If it was, I wouldn't have so much trouble keeping the beat at the beginning.

See, I was a drummer too in a past life, which is why I picked up on this right away.
Old 25th April 2017
  #3055
Lives for gear
Here is the mastered version of Caged for anyone interested to hear it with the mastering polish? https://soundcloud.com/kanewilliams-...-no-m8/s-uKYB6
Old 25th April 2017
  #3056
Lives for gear
 
wagtunes's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Funk View Post
Here is the mastered version of Caged for anyone interested to hear it with the mastering polish? https://soundcloud.com/kanewilliams-...-no-m8/s-uKYB6
Kane, that's awesome man. You really should post this in the finished tracks thread.

So, what are your plans for this one? Anything?
Old 25th April 2017
  #3057
Lives for gear
 
wagtunes's Avatar
7th track from my upcoming CD "Bananas Crackers And Nuts"

This one is a little out there. I was going to sing this myself but the voice is totally shot right now. Maybe someday soon I'll do a cover of this. With the wacky subject matter, the Vocaloids actually fit perfectly. And the Realivox Ladies doing the shoo bops and do wahs turn this into a farcical classic.

Most fun I've had in a long time.

Eat Bugs

Put some on my plate with a little salt and butter
Damn that tastes real fine hey waiter can I have another
Ain't nothin finer than lunch at my favorite diner
For a tasty treat this here's one that can't be beat

Eat Bugs (eat bugs)
Eat Bugs (shoo be do be)
Eat Bugs (eat bugs)
Eat Bugs (do wah)
Eat Bugs (eat bugs)
Eat Bugs
Eat Bugs...You know you really love 'em

They go really well with your favorite Chardonnay
You don't like the smell well that's a nasty thing to say
Can't get enough of that creepy crawly stuff
Beetles on my plate everything else is second rate

Repeat Chorus

Instrumental Break

Repeat Chorus

Old 25th April 2017
  #3058
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by wagtunes View Post
Kane, that's awesome man. You really should post this in the finished tracks thread.

So, what are your plans for this one? Anything?
Thanks.

yes, posted it there too, but as you guys had offered some good advice, wanted to post here too.

Well, I've uploaded it to the BBC Introducing site, so hoping it gets played. I have had 2 out of 4 played on a couple of BBc stations so far. As it's about depression and it's mental Health Awareness Week in two weeks, I'm hoping it will.

Other than that, just hope someone hears it and likes it and asks me to write something for them for a bit of cash. But, i know this is s slim possibility. I will contact a few publishers again soon, once I have another track finished.
Old 25th April 2017
  #3059
Lives for gear
 
wagtunes's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Funk View Post
Thanks.

yes, posted it there too, but as you guys had offered some good advice, wanted to post here too.

Well, I've uploaded it to the BBC Introducing site, so hoping it gets played. I have had 2 out of 4 played on a couple of BBc stations so far. As it's about depression and it's mental Health Awareness Week in two weeks, I'm hoping it will.

Other than that, just hope someone hears it and likes it and asks me to write something for them for a bit of cash. But, i know this is s slim possibility. I will contact a few publishers again soon, once I have another track finished.
Cool. Let us know if you get any bites. Love hearing success stories.
Old 25th April 2017
  #3060
Lives for gear
 
wagtunes's Avatar
8th track from my upcoming CD "Bananas Crackers And Nuts"

I'm beginning to think I can write just about anything. From boogie to bugs to a tear jerker.

He Loved Me

The night has come
And there's no one around
He was some one
But he's not to be found

He loved me
He loved me
But he left me alone
He loved me
He loved me
But I lie here a stone

I don't know why
That it ended this way
Now I just cry
It's the same everyday

Repeat Chorus

What can I say
He's just some guy
I'll love again someday
But for now I'll just cry

Repeat Chorus

He loved me
He loved me
He left me
Alone

📝 Reply
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear
Forum Jump
Forum Jump