The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Post your rough demos
Old 18th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by just_some_dude View Post
Are you a sociopath?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mirror...8psychology%29

Guess, we all have to be a tad wierd, to sit alone in front of a daw to get things done.
Old 18th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by just_some_dude View Post
Are you a sociopath?
No.
Old 18th April 2017
Lives for gear
I haven't forgot about doing another vocal for you Wag. Will get to it when I can.
Old 18th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Funk View Post
I haven't forgot about doing another vocal for you Wag. Will get to it when I can.
Ni rush Kane. I just miss the guys. Seems nobody's coming around anymore posting music. I think Dakota posted one song in the past week and that's been about it. Place gets lonely sometimes. LOL.

Anyway, it's all good. Just pop by once in a while and say hello.

And the rest of you guys, I'm itching to hear some new music besides me own. LOL.

So let's get with it. LOL.
Old 18th April 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic audio View Post
Working on another song called "Six feet under"....
A moody kind of rock song....

Great production and guitar work, I hear some high harmonies on the "six feet under". Really enjoyed your song!
Old 18th April 2017
Lives for gear

1st track from my upcoming CD "Bananas Crackers And Nuts"

This one probably could use some explanation.

People sometimes ask me how I get so many ideas for songs. Well, it didn't always come this easy.

Years ago, at the beginning, I would get writer's block a lot. So what I would do, to help me get through it, would be to use little tricks to come up with ideas for songs.

Here are just a few of the many tricks I would use.

1) Write a computer program to randomly generate letters. Then use those letters for each word in the title. I remember one in particular where the letters were...

J M A Z F D

Now you'd think I'd have a tough time coming up with something for that. But believe it or not, even weird letters like this brought up some interesting ideas.

The song I came up with for this one?

"Just Makin A Zoo For Daddy" which turned out to be one of my catchiest tunes from back then. Terrible recording quality as I had no idea what I was doing in the studio, but this one was one of my favorite arrangements.

This is a 4th generation recording so it's really bad but you'll get the gist.

2) I'd also just go outside and look at the surroundings and pick out an object and write about it. One day I wrote about my Jeep.

3) The method I'm using for this CD now is making a list of genres and picking one out randomly, again via a random generator. Anyway, this is what I came up with. First song of this type I ever did in my life.

Funk Off

Right on...and all that cool thing
Fight on...you've got the big bling
Dig it you've got the big beat
Swig it that tasty cool treat

Funk off you crazy sister
Funk off you and your mister
Funk off you know that grooving is your goal
Funk off and play that guitar
Funk off you know you'll go far
Funk off you got the music in your soul

Jam on you got the groove now
Flam on you're really smooth now
Junky your musical high
Funky the notes just fly by

Repeat Chorus 2x

Old 19th April 2017
Here's one just pounded down tonight. A friend is writing some "Texas songwriter" style lyrics, so I'm pushing in that "Townes/Guy Clark" direction with the music.

I played kick and snare (rods) first. Then both rhythm acoustics capoed at 5th. Then bass, Lakland direct in (needs the doghouse, but it's not here). Then sang it and laid in a few quick harmonies, followed by the lead acoustic. About 2 hours tracking, and 1/2 hour mix, with no EQ or any other plugs, and just a touch of verb on the vocals (all compression down in tracking) qualifies it as rough demo. Any thoughts? Thanks!
Attached Files

LIKE I DO.mp3 (5.19 MB, 544 views)

Old 19th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennybro View Post
Here's one just pounded down tonight. A friend is writing some "Texas songwriter" style lyrics, so I'm pushing in that "Townes/Guy Clark" direction with the music.

I played kick and snare (rods) first. Then both rhythm acoustics capoed at 5th. Then bass, Lakland direct in (needs the doghouse, but it's not here). Then sang it and laid in a few quick harmonies, followed by the lead acoustic. About 2 hours tracking, and 1/2 hour mix, with no EQ or any other plugs, and just a touch of verb on the vocals (all compression down in tracking) qualifies it as rough demo. Any thoughts? Thanks!
Too short. LOL. Seriously, I could have listened to another 2 minutes of this. I don't know specifically what it reminds me of but these were the kind of songs I loved in the early 70s that never made the charts. They used to joke. "If Wags likes the song it'll never be a hit."

Anyway, great job.
Old 19th April 2017
Angelica Keeton new artist I have been working with. Ben from Beesneez Microphones built a custom mic for her voice.

Quote:
Angelica Keeton Falling Hard - YouTube

Falling Hard, Artist: Angelica Keeton Produced by Jack Hinson Sky Blue Nashville Studios sky blue nashville recording studio
Old 19th April 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by wagtunes View Post
Too short. LOL. Seriously, I could have listened to another 2 minutes of this. I don't know specifically what it reminds me of but these were the kind of songs I loved in the early 70s that never made the charts. They used to joke. "If Wags likes the song it'll never be a hit."

Anyway, great job.
Yes, we talked about a bridge, and how short the song is. Needs one. Bridge lyrics are in the can, and working it in will be fun. I enjoyed recording this first version.

It also reminds me of something that Jack White might have been involved with at one point, but his would be produced much grittier.

Definitely appreciate your well-considered commentary! Thanks.
Old 19th April 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKeefe1032 View Post
Great production and guitar work, I hear some high harmonies on the "six feet under". Really enjoyed your song!

Cheers man!
Old 19th April 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvillecat View Post
Angelica Keeton new artist I have been working with. Ben from Beesneez Microphones built a custom mic for her voice.
Nice voice there! Very warm and loads of character.
Old 19th April 2017
Gear Nut

Quote:

Funk Off

Hey, great that you've started the new project, looking forward to the variety.
Liked this one, (I'm partial to a little funk)
The repetition in the chorus worked well.
I wasn't so keen on the brass stabs, they definitely fit but I felt as the track went on, they could have some variation, like I can imagine if they were a real horn section, one of them would put their hand up and say can we have a few more notes over here ! ha, only joking,

I'm not sure what I thought "Bananas Crackers and Nuts" was going to be about,
but I'm relieved that it looks (so far) like it's not going to be completely
off-the-wall...

keep em' commin...
Dakoda.
Old 19th April 2017
Gear Nut

Quote:
A song about the brave souls who leave their country to look for something better.

"Rivers of gold"

Really liked this one, it creates a mood (which is something a lot of modern songs fail at these days). I particularly liked the treatment on your voice
(really nice voice btw) the amount of reverb is just "so perfect" in my opinion.
great work mate.
Dakoda Sada.
Old 19th April 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakoda Sada View Post
Really liked this one, it creates a mood (which is something a lot of modern songs fail at these days). I particularly liked the treatment on your voice
(really nice voice btw) the amount of reverb is just "so perfect" in my opinion.
great work mate.
Dakoda Sada.
Thanks man! :-)
Old 19th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvillecat View Post
Great. Professionally done. But doesn't this belong in the finished songs thread?

You should really post this there cause this is pro quality. Let them here how great it is.
Old 19th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hey, great that you've started the new project, looking forward to the variety.
Liked this one, (I'm partial to a little funk)
The repetition in the chorus worked well.
I wasn't so keen on the brass stabs, they definitely fit but I felt as the track went on, they could have some variation, like I can imagine if they were a real horn section, one of them would put their hand up and say can we have a few more notes over here ! ha, only joking,

I'm not sure what I thought "Bananas Crackers and Nuts" was going to be about,
but I'm relieved that it looks (so far) like it's not going to be completely
off-the-wall...

keep em' commin...
Dakoda.
Yeah, the brass stabs. My first funk piece ever. I wanted to keep it really tight and didn't want to stray from the "cliche" at risk of falling into some other territory. So yeah, I completely get what you're saying as it was done totally on purpose. In fact, listen to the clavinet on the right speaker. It's the same pattern all the way through too. Same with the background vocals. In fact, with the exception of the guitar lead, which does have some variance, the whole song is essentially loops that are copied and pasted. Once I get more comfortable with the genre, I'll get more adventurous.

For a first attempt, and having absolutely no funk in me at all, not half bad. In fact, it surprised the heck out of me that I was able to do this at all. But that's how I grow as a songwriter, by trying things that I'm uncomfortable doing.
Old 19th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Here´s a country rock song with some slide guitars and a rather cool feeling to it: I'm not happy with the mix yet.

Very cool. I know I'm just a hack but the mix sounded perfectly fine to me. Maybe somebody with better ears can make suggestions but I'd be tickled pink if I could make something that sounded that good.
Old 19th April 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Very cool. I know I'm just a hack but the mix sounded perfectly fine to me. Maybe somebody with better ears can make suggestions but I'd be tickled pink if I could make something that sounded that good.
Cheers mate! Glad to hear someone likes it.
Old 19th April 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:

This one probably could use some explanation.

People sometimes ask me how I get so many ideas for songs. Well, it didn't always come this easy.

Years ago, at the beginning, I would get writer's block a lot. So what I would do, to help me get through it, would be to use little tricks to come up with ideas for songs.

Here are just a few of the many tricks I would use.

1) Write a computer program to randomly generate letters. Then use those letters for each word in the title. I remember one in particular where the letters were...

J M A Z F D

Now you'd think I'd have a tough time coming up with something for that. But believe it or not, even weird letters like this brought up some interesting ideas.

The song I came up with for this one?

"Just Makin A Zoo For Daddy" which turned out to be one of my catchiest tunes from back then. Terrible recording quality as I had no idea what I was doing in the studio, but this one was one of my favorite arrangements.

This is a 4th generation recording so it's really bad but you'll get the gist.

2) I'd also just go outside and look at the surroundings and pick out an object and write about it. One day I wrote about my Jeep.

3) The method I'm using for this CD now is making a list of genres and picking one out randomly, again via a random generator. Anyway, this is what I came up with. First song of this type I ever did in my life.

Funk Off

Right on...and all that cool thing
Fight on...you've got the big bling
Dig it you've got the big beat
Swig it that tasty cool treat

Funk off you crazy sister
Funk off you and your mister
Funk off you know that grooving is your goal
Funk off and play that guitar
Funk off you know you'll go far
Funk off you got the music in your soul

Jam on you got the groove now
Flam on you're really smooth now
Junky your musical high
Funky the notes just fly by

Repeat Chorus 2x

Nice job Wag. I like the "loop" nature of it, but definitely try to put better horns on it. I love the clav and bass playing together. Think the clav is a bit loud and could do with some treatment butbghos is only from my iPhone speaker! Nice groove. Reminds me of sort of Reggae infused funk.
Old 19th April 2017
Lives for gear
By the way, I would post more demo's but I don't work as quickly as you guys.

I'm working on a new song that I think is going to be good, with a great hooky chorus and good melody and harmonies. In my head it's something Luther would have made in the 80's. It's a duet though. Will post as soon as it's arranged and vocals recorded.
Old 19th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Funk View Post
Nice job Wag. I like the "loop" nature of it, but definitely try to put better horns on it. I love the clav and bass playing together. Think the clav is a bit loud and could do with some treatment butbghos is only from my iPhone speaker! Nice groove. Reminds me of sort of Reggae infused funk.
The clav may very well be loud. I mix with phones so I don't blast the household out the front door. The horns I actually went for that cheesy falling off sound. That was done intentionally. So yeah, anything could be an improvement if that was what I was going for. I actually have some amazing horn samples but didn't feel they fit what I was after.
Old 19th April 2017
Quote:
Here´s a country rock song with some slide guitars and a rather cool feeling to it: I'm not happy with the mix yet.

Sounds very good. Nice song. I wouldn't call it country. More like bluesy rock. Robert Cray-ish style, if I had to put a tag on it.

Modern country is sort of pedestrian... girls, pickup trucks and beer, if you will. This has a deeper vibe, more cerebral, with a nice body-groove pushing it forward.
Old 19th April 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennybro View Post
Sounds very good. Nice song. I wouldn't call it country. More like bluesy rock. Robert Cray-ish style, if I had to put a tag on it.

Modern country is sort of pedestrian... girls, pickup trucks and beer, if you will. This has a deeper vibe, more cerebral, with a nice body-groove pushing it forward.
Thanks mate, for taking the time to listen. Genre wise it's kinda a tough call I guess.
Old 19th April 2017
Lives for gear

2nd track from my upcoming CD "Bananas Crackers And Nuts"

I'm not even sure how I'd classify this one. It's kind of a mix of things but hopefully the main genre sticks out at least a little. Probably one of the more unusual "normal" songs that I've done. Not sure how this one is going to be received but as always give it to me straight.

East Of Eden

Just a little town on a big map miles from here
All the people living in peace without fear
I'd like to go there someday to settle down
Just a little East of Eden in a nice quiet town

Life's just way too short and it goes fast some people say
All the people rushing from day to next day
I only want to slow down ease off the pace
Just a little east of Eden in a nice quiet place

Old 20th April 2017
Gear Nut

Quote:
2nd track from my upcoming CD "Bananas Crackers And Nuts"

as always give it to me straight.

East Of Eden

well it's different! the things i liked about it were the evocative hymn sounding
lyrics. The stuff I didn't like as much ,were the instruments being so segregated. The bagpipes and the violin and the vocal et al seemed to take turns. I know that's probably what you were going for, but I think that might be what stopped it all gel'ing together (for me).
Also like the randomness of the new collection, not knowing what's coming next!
(I feel like I should say my use of the word random is the original English meaning and not the way the meaning has been modified by young people today)
I'm thinking about writing a song about the way young people hijack certain words!
anyway,
I have no idea what you have up your sleeve for the next one,
but I'm looking forward to it
Dakoda.
Old 20th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
well it's different! the things i liked about it were the evocative hymn sounding
lyrics. The stuff I didn't like as much ,were the instruments being so segregated. The bagpipes and the violin and the vocal et al seemed to take turns. I know that's probably what you were going for, but I think that might be what stopped it all gel'ing together (for me).
Also like the randomness of the new collection, not knowing what's coming next!
(I feel like I should say my use of the word random is the original English meaning and not the way the meaning has been modified by young people today)
I'm thinking about writing a song about the way young people hijack certain words!
anyway,
I have no idea what you have up your sleeve for the next one,
but I'm looking forward to it
Dakoda.
Yep, what I was going for and I know it's not everybody's cup of tea. The song tells a story not just with the words but with how the arrangement is done. But of course if you have to explain the story, the arrangement didn't do the job it was intended to do. But that's a tough thing to pull off. Think of 2001 A Space Odyssey. That theme screamed outer space exploration. I'm not quite that good yet. LOL.

Anyway, I think you might like what I have up my sleeve for the next track. If nothing else, it will be very obvious what it is.
Old 20th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Working on another song, indie/folk. Featuring harmonium and some cool stuff.
"When the wind howls".

You have a nice easy laid back style that I like. This was real nice to listen to. Wasn't thrilled with the cold ending out of nowhere but otherwise, well done.
Old 21st April 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
You have a nice easy laid back style that I like. This was real nice to listen to. Wasn't thrilled with the cold ending out of nowhere but otherwise, well done.
Cheers mate! :-) I'm not happy with the ending either. I'm working on it....

Old 21st April 2017
Lives for gear

3rd track from my upcoming CD "Bananas Crackers And Nuts"

There aren't a lot of songs that I do that I'm really proud of. I can probably count them on one hand. But this is one of them. I absolutely captured the flavor of the era and genre. I'm sure the group I "emulated" is crystal clear obvious, at least musically if not vocally, which would have been extremely difficult if not impossible to do.

Blame It On The DJ

In the night with the drinks a flowing
It's hard for me to see straight
Neither one of us a knowing
That this would be our last date

But the gods of disco shine on
And bring the beat to our lives
And the food we care to dine on
It's how our love still survives

And so it goes the blame who knows
But we know whose the one who made it happen

Blame it on the D J
Blame it on the D J
Blame it on the D J
That we fell in love

All our days are now right before us
I'm seeing better right now
Our true love cannot ignore us
Romantic night showed us how

Repeat Pre Chorus

Repeat Chorus To Fade

📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear