The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Songs with the same chord progression throughout most or all of the song.
Old 30th June 2016
Gear Addict

Just heard a modern pop remake of Tracy Chapman's "Fast Car", in which they decided to completely remove the excellent chord sequence change of the chorus. But they did add a cliche synth part in lieu of the chord change, so overall made it super-duper awesome and "current".

Oh oh.. those damn kids are on the lawn again..
Old 2nd July 2016
Lives for gear

The Cure - All Cats Are Grey
The Sisters of Mercy -- Lucretia, My Reflection
Bauhaus - Bela Lugosi's Dead
Old 2nd July 2016
Lives for gear

The Cult She sells sanctuary, one of the coolest sounding songs. Ians voice was not like any other 80's singer out there. He had a powerful and timeless sound to his voice until he thrashed it out. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCOSPtyZAPA
Old 2nd July 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZFire View Post
Just heard a modern pop remake of Tracy Chapman's "Fast Car", in which they decided to completely remove the excellent chord sequence change of the chorus. But they did add a cliche synth part in lieu of the chord change, so overall made it super-duper awesome and "current".

Oh oh.. those damn kids are on the lawn again..
I looked this up out of curiosity. "Jonas Blue"? You're right. They tossed the different chords and strangely it's sort of the same song except with electronic rhythms. And the singer might as well be a processed-version of the original vocal - sounds exactly like the original. This reminds me of movie remakes where they don't need to be remade, and the remakes are so closely copying the original they really don't bring anything to the table other than a modern sheen. IMHO a remixed dance version of the original would be better.
Old 2nd July 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryDelmarva View Post
I looked this up out of curiosity. "Jonas Blue"? You're right. They tossed the different chords and strangely it's sort of the same song except with electronic rhythms. And the singer might as well be a processed-version of the original vocal - sounds exactly like the original. This reminds me of movie remakes where they don't need to be remade, and the remakes are so closely copying the original they really don't bring anything to the table other than a modern sheen. IMHO a remixed dance version of the original would be better.
Chapman's chord changes are what really elevates the song, so that kind of makes me feel that they had no business remaking it if they didn't "get" the song in the first place. Different strokes I guess.
Old 2nd July 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARIEL View Post
The Cult She sells sanctuary, one of the coolest sounding songs. Ians voice was not like any other 80's singer out there. He had a powerful and timeless sound to his voice until he thrashed it out. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCOSPtyZAPA
As a youngster in the 1980s I always saw Ian as a cross between Jim Morrison and Mick Jagger. Southern Death Cult, Death Cult, and The Cult were all amazing. This is one band I truly wish I could have seen in the mid to late 80s. Did any self respecting "alternative music" fan not have the "She Sells Sanctuary" 12"?

Am I off topic again...this is becoming a bad habit.
Old 3rd July 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysanfel View Post
As a youngster in the 1980s I always saw Ian as a cross between Jim Morrison and Mick Jagger. Southern Death Cult, Death Cult, and The Cult were all amazing. This is one band I truly wish I could have seen in the mid to late 80s. Did any self respecting "alternative music" fan not have the "She Sells Sanctuary" 12"?

Am I off topic again...this is becoming a bad habit.
Ian def has a unique voice. I was fortunate to have seen those early concerst In vancouver here starting with the Love tour back around 1985. That was an amazng show !!!! I still have all my vinyl and 12" remixes from then. amazing production and still sounds relevant today. Punchy Kick and snare with solid bass. That gretsch Billy played sure gave the band a cool sound
Old 3rd July 2016
Gear Nut

These days a lot of the ''new country'' songs are like that. One progression that either never changes or a short bridge to break it up. Very simple (and some quite corny) songs and only around 3 minutes each. An old formula that seems to work well.
Old 3rd July 2016
everything by Pharell
Old 3rd July 2016
Gear Head

David Bowie—Sister Midnight/Red Money…pretty much the same two chords the whole song. They’re basically songs you jam out on live. They’re great tunes to dance and vibe with as well as for instrumentalists to jam on.
Old 19th June 2017
Lives for gear
Eagle Eye Cherry 'Save Tonight'
Oasis 'Wonderwall'
Old 24th June 2017
Lives for gear
Hundreds

A lot of them hits

Kind shows what yer mamby pamy progressions are worth in the big picture
Old 26th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dullfangs View Post
Eagle Eye Cherry 'Save Tonight'
Oasis 'Wonderwall'
Wonderwall doesn't qualify here, I'm afraid. True, it is an example of a song where you keep a two-note drone going all the way through, but the progressions played under that drone change with the sections of the song.
Old 26th June 2017
Lives for gear
Most of them (in one variation or another) well not quiet but lot's of hits songs do.

Stings "Englishman in New York" (mid 8 aside) comes to mind but there's so, so many.

Half of my own - that or make the chords just the verse chords in a different order.

After all it's a song not modern jazz and that's me speaking as a jazz pianist who like to write songs.
Old 26th June 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrible.dee View Post
Hundreds

A lot of them hits

Yes...

Old 26th June 2017
Lives for gear

Since I decided to focus on writing "hits" most of the songs I've been doing have one chord progression. It's actually a lot of fun to work this way but it takes a lot of work.
Old 26th June 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrible.dee View Post
Hundreds

A lot of them hits

The massive hits with univesal appeal still have plenty of chord changes. Movie music is just background music most of the time - it's not meant to be distracting by being good - just wallpaper.

Lorde writes good songs with chord changes. I love Yellow Flicker Beat.

Katy Perry songs are generally more than simple loops. I love Chained to the rythmn.

Anything really good - sing it on acoustic guitar and you'll realise there is more to it than meets the eye.
Old 30th June 2017
Imagine Dragons - Believer
Katy Perry - Roar (except for a bit of chord V in the bridge)

A.
Old 15th June 2019
The Adverts - One Chord Wonders :-D

Rasmus Walter - Endeløst

Alphaville - Big In Japan, In The Mood, Universal Daddy (and a lot more of their fantastic songs)

Springform - Datsun

The Normal - Warm Leatherette, T.V.O.D.

Last edited by Springformband; 15th June 2019 at 07:03 PM.. Reason: Fordi jeg kan
Old 17th June 2019
Canon in D Major, Johann Pachelbel
Old 17th June 2019
"Heroin" -- The Velvet Underground
Old 3 weeks ago
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolet View Post
Famously, America with "Horse with no Name." Just two chords!
Great song! thumbsup
damn, I was gonna use this one. It is literally the ultimate song under this set of conditions.

nicely done.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Ravel's Bolero
Old 3 weeks ago
Laurie Anderson - O Superman
Old 2 weeks ago
Did anyone mention Feeling Alright?
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Anyone mention Stand By Me? Here Comes The Rain Again, I think. Maybe that's just the lyrics.
Old 6 days ago
Here for the gear

Possibly mentioned but...

Wicked Game by Chris Isaak (Bm A E )
Hold Me Now by the Thompson Twins (D Bm G A)

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search