The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Need advice with collections of songs
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Need advice with collections of songs

One of the only silver linings of the pandemic has been that I've been able to finish songs that have been collecting dust and I've been able to start and finish a bunch of new songs. One of the problems I have now is how to put the songs into a collection. My goal is to create albums or EP's and then initially put them out on Bandcamp one at a time but here's my issue: I write in different genre's so I don't know if I should group songs together by genre or mix genre's on an album? I'm afraid if I mix genre's the music won't sound cohesive but if I release albums with one genre listeners might disregard me after the first album if they're not into that genre.
Old 3 days ago
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Hmmm, 100 views but no replies. Too wordy? I would appreciate any thoughts or questions you might have.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear
I am not at all tribal about music that I purchase, and mixing genres would be ok with me. . .but I expect consistency is the far safer path.

In any case, when I look at a new artist, they may only have a few seconds to start to impress me. And I'm not going beyond a very few tunes even if I like them a lot.

So putting the very best material up front [regardless of genre] would be a most important factor for me.

Seems like it will take a lot of effort anyway to build an audience. Marketing and testing are likely required tools.

I expect you will most often have to market by genre,

Ray H.
Old 3 days ago | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Thanks, Ray. Great tip to put the good stuff first. I'm primarily a guitar player so I think about guys like Steve Morse who isn't afraid to mix genre's but he's Steve Morse and I'm not. I'm inclined to mix because it just seems like a variety would be more interesting to listen to but that's only my opinion. Maybe there should be a disclaimer on each album cover :-)
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by markmann ➑️
[. . .] I'm inclined to mix [. . .]
Well, I hear that it's near impossible to make a living from music now anyway. So you might as well show courage and go for the mix. . .especially if that is where your heart is leading you. Who knows? It may work out for you in a Steve Morse kind of way as the future unfolds.

Life is full of little trade-offs,

Ray H.
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Ha ha, yeah, I have no illusions of fame or fortune, just want to get the music out there the most effective way.
Old 3 days ago
JMM
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
How different are the genres? Are we talking a little jazz, some hip-hop and rounding it off with some metal or are the genres close enough that they can be in the same ballpark i.e. - classic rock mixed with some hard rock maybe a little country rock, etc. Reason I ask is because I'm in a similar situation. In my case I'm going to release my music that's very different under separate project names. In the past I've released different genres that all had a relatable rock vibe on the same album. I got some nice compliments about the variety at the time.
Old 3 days ago
Gear Maniac

Variety. If say they are all rock, if the listener isn't impressed with the first few tracks they're done. You have to be excellent to hold attention if your songs all "sound the same".

Another vote also for pick your best and leave the also rans on your hard drive.
Old 2 days ago
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
The genre's are quite different and include rock, jazz, blues and country. There is definitely fusion of genre's happening in some but not in others. Some have vocals and some don't. I don't have a signature guitar tone either because I develop a sound for each song. If I get a minute maybe I'll create some short clips to help explain.
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…