The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Singing - Dreaded E vowel
Old 12th June 2020
Singing - Dreaded E vowel

Hi,

wondered if any of you seasoned pro singers could give some advice on taming the horrible E vowel.

I've tried vowel modification (using Ih), but nothing seems to help and have to fix with mix automation.

I it just a matter of backing off the support and or volume to compensate and reduce the frequency kick that it gives between 1-2k?

any tips are gleefully accepted.

Stu.

Found the answer and it works:
I was forcing the vowel too much (too much push), If i relax the sound on the vowel it softens it, also with a touch of the Ih rounds it off more. thanks anyway.

Last edited by Fergies Watch; 12th June 2020 at 03:48 PM.. Reason: found the answer
Old 20th June 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fergies Watch View Post
Hi,

wondered if any of you seasoned pro singers could give some advice on taming the horrible E vowel.

I've tried vowel modification (using Ih), but nothing seems to help and have to fix with mix automation.

I it just a matter of backing off the support and or volume to compensate and reduce the frequency kick that it gives between 1-2k?

any tips are gleefully accepted.

Stu.

Found the answer and it works:
I was forcing the vowel too much (too much push), If i relax the sound on the vowel it softens it, also with a touch of the Ih rounds it off more. thanks anyway.
E isn't a dreaded vowel?

I just sang one as I read your post - feels like any old vowel to me - perhaps a touch brighter but not in a bad way (I've been singing 35 years)

Maybe it's just a resonance is your particular voice in which case you just need to find a strategy particular to your own delivery to compensate - and reading your post it sounds like you already found one - great.

If you're writing your own material then avoid (if possible) writing a lyric that puts an E vowel on a high piecing note.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Have you tried thrusting your lower jaw forward (creating an underbite with your front teeth) while singing on “e”? Works for me.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear