The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Give me your thoughts on love songs
Old 5th July 2020 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by drsaamah View Post
So if I understand you correctly, you're saying the reinforcement of the hegemony will necessarily occur in anything with mass appeal? Maybe you're right. But as a listener, I still get to scoff
People don't like that annoying cognitive dissonance stuff.
Deleted f7717eb
Quote:
Originally Posted by theblue1 View Post
People don't like that annoying cognitive dissonance stuff.
I have to admit, I have absolutely no idea what you folks are discussing.

Love songs are way simpler than this (or, at least, they should be)....
Quote:
Originally Posted by drcmusic View Post
I have to admit, I have absolutely no idea what you folks are discussing.

Love songs are way simpler than this (or, at least, they should be)....

I have to admit, if the world shared my tastes, there'd be more challenging, thoughtful songs about love... but that ain't gonna happen.

FWIW, as much as I have deep regard for the best of Sir Paul's work -- and even had a soft spot for a few Wings tracks -- THIS is one of my least favorite pop/love songs ever...

Deleted f7717eb
Quote:

I have to admit, if the world shared my tastes, there'd be more challenging, thoughtful songs about love... but that ain't gonna happen.

FWIW, as much as I have deep regard for the best of Sir Paul's work -- and even had a soft spot for a few Wings tracks -- THIS is one of my least favorite pop/love songs ever...

Yeah, that song isn't my favorite!
If the world shared your tastes, you'd be pretty bored.
Old 6th July 2020 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted f7717eb View Post
If the world shared your tastes, you'd be pretty bored.
And if everyone was the same, there'd be no one to love.
Old 3rd August 2020
Sky
Lives for gear

I appreciate well-crafted love songs, including some old-school classics. Laura Nyro's 'Wedding Bell Blues' as performed by the 5th Dimension always makes me smile.

Sky
Old 3rd August 2020
Lives for gear

I @ Sky love a great deal of well written old school music, one of my faves is

Old 4th August 2020 | Show parent
Sky
Lives for gear

Quote:
I've been developing a themed album of challenging love songs. Songs are mostly in production (or pre-production) but I can share one old demo. This one is about a corporate road warrior with commitment issues.

Sky
Sky
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayHeath View Post
But, I do think the old have much to say about love. Maybe you will get inspired again some day and jot one down for us? Hope so.
Mike Scott (The Waterboys) released a wonderful tribute to love and aging on his 2017 album, Out of All This Blue. He was probably 58 when he released this. I read an interview where he selected a flirtatious older couple for his music video to celebrate how love can burn brightly as we age.

Sky
Sky
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsaamah View Post
So this discussion is tricky because we do have to define exactly what is a love song and I'm entirely to tired to go through that right now. But a lot of my problem does have to do with defining LOVE itself, as there isn't a definition or at least it manifests itself in many ways. I think we can agree that our culture treats love like many other commodities, as something to own to possess to acquire, and I think music's role in this is important and must be considered (usually that role is reinforcing the problematic yet popular narratives).
I think you've offered a brilliant starting point for exploring the depth of love in songwriting.

I believe that love is a pure, universal absence of fear. How does this translate into songwriting? Certain singer-songwriters masterfully capture love in their music; e.g. pacific NW artist Michael Tomlinson radiates his deep connection with nature in his songs. Songs that feel "sappy" to me are those that may use all the accepted words yet don't radiate a deeper emotional awareness.

The song and performance I've shared, Wedding Bell Blues, describes a woman's growing frustration about a man's fear of commitment. The couple are scared witless but really want to make this work. Interestingly, Marilyn McCoo and her object of affection in the video - fellow 5th Dimension bandmate Billy Davis Jr. - celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary in 2019. Now that's a love story!

Sky

Last edited by Sky; 4th August 2020 at 01:31 AM..
Old 5th August 2020 | Show parent
Here for the gear
Sky ... right on!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky View Post
The song and performance I've shared, Wedding Bell Blues, describes a woman's growing frustration about a man's fear of commitment. The couple are scared witless but really want to make this work. Interestingly, Marilyn McCoo and her object of affection in the video - fellow 5th Dimension bandmate Billy Davis Jr. - celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary in 2019. Now that's a love story!Sky
I can relate to that ... my wife has a relative, REALLY nice gal, in a long-term relationship with her live-in boyfriend, the clock is ticking and "he doesn't want to have children" (he has several siblings himself). I'm sayin' "I'm outa here!" but she doesn't want to cut loose. Smart chick, good lookin', cute, nice, good career, ... dang, what are you wanting for guy??? There is something not right, what do you think?

Here are a couple old-school love songs:
"Unchained Melody" sung by many artists over the years. Written back in, I think, the 1930s???
"Young Love", a coming-of-age love song circa late 1950s

The other night my wife cooked a nice dinner and I searched YouTube for a song but landed on a Elvis Presley collection of love songs ... Bingo. Great voice, presentation style, nice songs and with emotion. Some probably related to his personal experiences. Where are the songs and singers like that today? Oh, nice bottle of wine and the dessert was good too.
Old 6th August 2020 | Show parent
Here for the gear
Let me throw out another love song, but this time it is a video. (I do video) Never the less, ... what about a little back story first.

The writers tried to get a studio to produce the movie but they got turned down numerous times but finally cobbled something together, and had to be really low budget. The setting was at a summer lake and as the shooting progressed, so did the season and the leaves started to turn color. they had to spray paint the leaves to keep them looking green. Casting: the lead guy and gal didn't get along throughout the shoot but I don't know what happened at the end because, frankly, they looked like they worked it out.

Nice plot, story, and a great musical. I would clarify it as a love story even though it might be just a summer fling. The ending song was very well done, choreographed. Maybe not a Romeo and Juliet and life ever after, or something the average person can relate to, but still really good. We can dream, can't we?

Musical: Dirty Dancing
Song: "Time of my life"
(search for the video)
Old 17th August 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'll offer -- to me, one of the treacliest, most annoying songs I've ever heard -- this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IATz8ZVTALo
Dave Barry summed this one up beautifully when he said Dan Hill sings "as if he's having his prostate examined by Captain Hook."

I think the tricky thing about writing love songs is putting emotional depth and risk in them. Sappy, cookie-cutter love songs tell us about a feeling but don't make us feel it, don't touch us in a vulnerable place. A good love song can make me cry, but it usually doesn't do that by saying "ooh I love you so much." It shows me the impact of that feeling. Which is hard.
Old 17th August 2020 | Show parent
Sky
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightchef View Post
I think the tricky thing about writing love songs is putting emotional depth and risk in them. Sappy, cookie-cutter love songs tell us about a feeling but don't make us feel it, don't touch us in a vulnerable place. A good love song can make me cry, but it usually doesn't do that by saying "ooh I love you so much." It shows me the impact of that feeling. Which is hard.
Feeling may come from both the song and the delivery. Perhaps a different artist would have performed Dan Hill’s song with more depth. As an example, Tim Freedman (The Whitlams) wrote a very simple love song that works for me - I can imagine him singing this to someone he loves:

Sky
Old 8th September 2020 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

It took me a while to come back and catch up on this thread lol. my bad. @ Sky I love that synth part that comes in @1:40 in your song!
And thank you everyone for the suggestions. Good listening
I certainly don't want to put down any music that brings happiness to others. Its just a question that has been on my own mind for some time. I was reading about Charlie Haden yesterday and according to his Wikipedia article at least, it is said that he "felt it was his responsibility and mission to challenge the world through music". I feel that way about all art I invest myself in. If I write words to put to song, is it good enough that they serve as highly-effective place-holders? A series of pleasant phonetics and stressed and unstressed syllables sang properly? If so, why bother? It could damn well be an instrumental without giving up anything of substance.
Just some food for thought. I'm certainly not here to provide answers. I just have a lot of questions :D
Old 8th September 2020
Lives for gear

I feel @ drsaamah the best mission statement for any artist is to commit one's self to their craft and not be inaccessible nor incoherent in their art. Who did you enjoy or not in regards to suggestions?
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear