The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Noodles and doodles
Old 4th May 2020
Noodles and doodles

So in the absence of the rough demos thread and seeing as I felt there wasn't a place for just posting your quick sketches anyway I decided to start this thread up for sketches.

I'll post mine and maybe other people will post theirs, maybe other people will start their own threads instead, either way doesn't matter. There's no pressure to give or receive feedback or join in at all.

Sketches by their nature are practice, it generally more about the process and improving yourself than the pieces you make.

For me I've been doing a "noodle challenge" where I just record something daily since the whole shelter in place order for Covid19 came about here in California. Mostly it's crap, sometimes there's stuff with potential, mainly it's the music equivalent of stream of consciousness.

Here's the last three I knocked out this afternoon before making dinner.

Old 4th May 2020
Lives for gear

That you can knock out so much high quality "noodling" in an afternoon is amazing to me.
Old 4th May 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle View Post
That you can knock out so much high quality "noodling" in an afternoon is amazing to me.
Cheers, you're very kind, I'm really not sure about "high quality" but it's just the joys of modern computing power and DAW workflows really that any amateur like me can sketch out ideas pretty rapidly once you know the keyboard shortcuts. It's crazy how quickly you can get an idea down and even try out a few different treatments to see what fits, or just explore a particular process. There are a lot of super talented people who can work much much faster and to a much higher quality standard than me, I mean time is money and all that in the music biz.

For me it's faster than just writing chord sheets and notation to just quickly play something in while the idea is fresh, then it also gives me an idea of possible treatment and arrangement too should I come back to it.

Anyhow, if you feel like it, now your turn, let's start posting sketches!
Old 4th May 2020
Lives for gear

"it's just the joys of modern computing power and DAW workflows really that any amateur like me can sketch out ideas pretty rapidly once you know the keyboard shortcuts"

That's probably why you run circles around me. I'm mostly analog, although I've at least recently started reading the manual for the Motif I bought a decade ago. I'm probably the least prolific songwriter here. I wrote my first song in 1971, my second in 2011. First one took a few minutes. The second took a year to get the songwriting right. In the nine years since I've written two more. The last one, a lullaby, of all things, I started last summer and only finished it this spring.

I do admire your noodles and your ability to knock those out the way you do. A lot of potential songs, good ones, I might add. Do you have any finished songs? If so, I'd bet they're damned good. If you've posted any, I somehow missed them.
Old 5th May 2020
Wow that's quite, uh, some time between songs.

I have a few complete song tracks in among my noodles on my soundcloud page. Can't say they're better than the noodles, the reason I do noodles is to improve :D

Anyhow here's todays american gothic inspired little sketch

Old 5th May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Wow that's quite, uh, some time between songs.
It's just how I've lived. I was a gifted young violinist who stopped playing after my mom died the day after my 11th birthday. Now an unwanted orphan, living in seven places over the next three years, I never played again. While living in my ninth place as a junior in HS, I was asked by a friend who knew I had once played violin to take up bass and replace the bass player in his band who had been drafted and was off to Vietnam. For the next six years I played in rock and funk cover bands - no need to write songs, although I did write the one. Tired of the "drugs" part of "Drugs, sex and rock and roll", I quit playing in bands. I kept my Gibson EB-0, though, but I'd only pick it up now and then to play an old song to myself.

Fast forward to the late 1990s, wanting to get back into music, I bought a Peavey e-guitar, a Casio keyboard and a 4-track cassette and recorded a few musical ideas, kind of noodling. Then I quit again. But a couple years later I came across Gearslutz and started lurking and learning about gear, bought a bunch, eventually joining GS in 2005. In 2011 was inspired by the death of a little girl to write a song about her. A year later I was inspired to write a song about freedom, something I had lost a couple of times in the years after my mom had died. Then my fourth song, dedicated to another little girl who had died. It appears I only write actual songs when inspired.

So "some time between songs" is probably even more pathetic than it seems. But it appears I have a knack for songwriting. The young woman who performed and recorded the last song I wrote, the lullaby, has become my "muse", and I hope to become a wee bit more prolific songwriter in the coming years. I'm still friends with my old bandmates and they encourage me to write as well, which also inspires me.

Back to you, I see that you've posted a lot of stuff on Soundcloud and sometime over the next week or so I hope to listen to all you've done as I believe you to be very talented.

Last edited by Seattle; 5th May 2020 at 07:07 PM..
Old 5th May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Anyhow here's todays american gothic inspired little sketch
So well done! I love it.
Old 6th May 2020
Tonights noodle from me, super quick before bedtime, didn't even have time to knock out a real solo on it, but I got meetings in the morning.

Old 7th May 2020
Lives for gear

My wife wrote this as an a cappella song years ago, she asked me to put some chords to it, which I did...then, being an ego maniac, I decided to put my own vocal on it too.
Attached Files

An Open Door MP3 Paul Only.mp3 (8.46 MB, 406 views)

Old 9th May 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by clump View Post
My wife wrote this as an a cappella song years ago, she asked me to put some chords to it, which I did...then, being an ego maniac, I decided to put my own vocal on it too.
Nice, good close harmonies, solid tune and experiment.
Old 9th May 2020
Tonights noodle, some vintage surf sounds :

Old 9th May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdme_sadie View Post
Tonights noodle, some vintage surf sounds :

This is my fave yet...you know, if you finished these doodles you would have a class collection of songs...dare I say 'Hits'?

Your stuff is too good to leave as unfinished sketches, really.
Old 9th May 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by clump View Post
This is my fave yet...you know, if you finished these doodles you would have a class collection of songs...dare I say 'Hits'?

Your stuff is too good to leave as unfinished sketches, really.
Thanks, you’re being kind but I’d have a finished collection of mediocre bland Muzak. They lack the it factor and memorable character but are pleasant enough background sounds sometimes. To make anything even remotely radio ready you’d have to completely strip it back, deconstruct and simplify then find the essence in a really clean clear hook, something special to add back in to elevate, add lyrical content to most of them, and then find an act to play it with appeal. It’s a lot of work and iterations for stuff that isn’t worth it, these are just fun and more what I want to hear and play than what the world wants
Old 9th May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdme_sadie View Post
Thanks, you’re being kind but I’d have a finished collection of mediocre bland Muzak. They lack the it factor and memorable character but are pleasant enough background sounds sometimes. To make anything even remotely radio ready you’d have to completely strip it back, deconstruct and simplify then find the essence in a really clean clear hook, something special to add back in to elevate, add lyrical content to most of them, and then find an act to play it with appeal. It’s a lot of work and iterations for stuff that isn’t worth it, these are just fun and more what I want to hear and play than what the world wants
Well yes, any great piece of creative art takes hard work and iteration, it's not supposed to be easy...but what you have are a selection of fantastic foundations to build on, and you seem to be very prolific with it.

Look at Moby's album 'Play'...essentially a collection of stylised sketches, but very VERY hooky sketches which were beautifully crafted into great songs...great songs which the world clearly wanted.

I'm in no position to tell you how you should work, or what you should do with your work...however, as an objective observer, I can tell you that you are (IMO) undervaluing your worth.
Old 9th May 2020
Lives for gear

This started out as a dark acoustic effort...then decided to try a sort of 'Ennio Morricone meets Eartha Kitt' feel with this version...
Attached Files
Old 11th May 2020
Nice, it reminds me of the demo tapes that Lennon did later on. Lots of potential there too you know!
Old 12th May 2020
Tonights noodle. Still searching for that ever elusive big guitar sound, one step forward, one step back.

Old 12th May 2020
Gear Maniac

Changed pickups and this spilled out of my guitar Saturday, here is a rough snippet I captured on Sunday.
Attached Files

The Fifth Seal_1.wav (11.37 MB, 365 views)

Old 16th May 2020
A kinda poppy guitar backing track from the 80's or 90's for todays little noodle
Old 19th May 2020
Tonights noodle, a quick trip hop inspired exploration of a few piano chords

Old 19th May 2020
Decided to sneak in another quickie in-between late-night coding work. So the second for today, bit more of a 70's soul vibe on this one.

Old 25th May 2020
Gear Nut

Hi
I used this elsewhere, did it on the fly, just a noodle. Darn guitar is too loud.
Attached Files

One Night in Nairobi.mp3 (6.38 MB, 159 views)

Old 4th July 2020
Finally making a little effort to get back to noodling.

Old 16th September 2020
Had some fun with the bass guitar today. Been a while.

Old 6 days ago
And off towards 90's shoe gaze today I guess

📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear