The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Hendrix
Old 16th April 2020
Hendrix

Not sure where to post this so I'll start here..

I am curious if anyone on this forum has a connection to Eddie Kramer or the Experience Hendrix LCC ? I left some emails for Eddie through his website but am not sure if he is getting them?

Thanks !!
Old 2 weeks ago
I never heard back from anyone that is connected to Jimi Hendrix that I reached out to so I am just going to share this song that I helped Jimi finish over the last few months..

I play everything except for Jimi's acoustic guitar and lead vocal..
I just followed Jimi's track..no computer was used in my tracks..Just real instruments and trying to produce the song the way Jimi might have from his cassette recording apartment demo of the song..This was the first song on an album to be called" Black Gold " that Jimi never got to finish in a studio except for a few songs.. His demo of this song is the only one that has been released in it's raw form so far..

https://soundcloud.com/stacey-young-.../s-JaCPRQUZrQM

Here is the demo track that I used..

https://vimeo.com/262275029
Old 1 week ago
well maybe it's because that song is copyrighted, you can't just steal a song and finish it off like that, not without proper legal permission
Old 6 days ago
Al that I would have to do is take Jimi's track out and sing it myself and then I could get a license to record and release it..

I just like it more with Jimi in it and did it for the pure joy of doing it...I am not trying to make money in any way from it..

So did you even listen to it?
Old 6 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by axisdreamer View Post
Al that I would have to do is take Jimi's track out and sing it myself and then I could get a license to record and release it..
how would you get the license? it's not a creative commons license. Why should his estate give you permission to use his work?
Old 6 days ago
I don't think you understand copyright laws or how they work.
Old 6 days ago
I have already contacted Experience Hendrix LLC with this song months ago and the license rules there were I could record this song but I cant use Jimi's tracks in it.. Hell I have a friend that did Purple Haze through them and he had no problems at all getting a license from them to do his own version of it.You have to press 500 cd's and no downloads etc.. I have spoken to their legal team month ago...What I really want is someone to listen to this and give your thoughts. Old Jimi fans especially.

Last edited by axisdreamer; 5 days ago at 11:52 PM..
Old 5 days ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by axisdreamer View Post
I have already contacted Experience Hendrix LLC with this song months ago and the license rules there were I could record this song but I cant use Jimi's tracks in it.. Hell I have a friend that did Purple Haze through them and he had no problems at all getting a license from them to do his own version of it.You have to press 500 cd's and no downloads etc.. I have spoken to their legal team month ago...What I really want is someone to listen to this and give your thoughts but I guess that's too much to ask of americans anymore so just forget it..
Hey! I'm a Jimi fanatic, and I love all of those rare unfinished sessions that have always been floating around. Even those sessions he did with Larry Young.
I dig your finished track! The drums have a great raw feel, and the electric guitar is groovy. It seems as if you are also asking for constructive criticism, and in that department, my thought is just with the sound of the mix, which I think could be balanced differently in order to sound more cohesive. I do realize that the sound quality of Jimi's audio is not great, to begin with, so if I were mixing this, I'd either try some audio restoration trickery to clean up the original track, OR (I'd probably lean towards this method) I'd dirty up/lo-fi the new tracks that you added, a lot more, to match Jimi's. There are a few other mix issues I'd probably change, as well.

But please, don't mistake any of that for my not liking your playing/singing - I think that totally rocks, and I think you can get this whole thing sounding even better! Nice job!

-TKB
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

For me the track is too busy, too much going on. If I were to do something like this, I'd strip it down quite a bit. But I wouldn't do something like this. I have reasons.

Jimi's estate has become a sad story since his father Al passed away in 2002. There's been family problems for a long, long time, but everybody from the old neighborhood remembers Al fondly.
Old 5 days ago
To be honest this was one of the hardest mixes that I ever had to do..Jimi's track was never meant to be anything more than a demo idea...He recorded it on a cassette recorder of some kind that was very noisy and loud knock sounds of his acoustic guitar were present with lots of hiss and his voice wasn't loud enough in some spots etc...I did run Jimi's track through both ch's of a Hammer eq and around 4 eqs total along with running it through my finalizer multiband compressor and that seemed to help the most...If you think that I didn't already do my best to clean up Jimi's track you would be mistaken..

If you listen to some of Jimi's last recordings he did lots of guitar tracks like the Cry of Love record...I was shooting for that in terms of production and mixing..I wasn't trying to get a modern mix sound, I was trying to make it fit in with the times which were late 60's and 1970...

I did no computer in this recording because I wanted to record the way Jimi had to back in the day.. granted I didn't use reel to reel but used an adat hd24 with mixing console..also I kept it at 16 tracks or less.. also Jimi's track had timing issues that I couldn't do much about..

overall I am happy with my mix for what I had to work with...

also I did this for my own enjoyment and not to try to work with the Hendrix LLC company to market it..After I did it I thought heck maybe I should send it to Janie Hendrix which I did but never heard anything back...

It was a fun exercise to work on when I was off of work because of the virus and I got to record with Jimi !!! that was the point of it for me...

a side note is whenever I save a file as an mp3 and upload it to soundcloud it sounds way worse then the wave file that I burn to cd.. it could be that the mix you are hearing is partly bad sounding because of this fact.. I never did like mp3's but mine always sound like crap after uploading them to soundcloud.. when I play them back on my laptop from soundcloud they have drop outs and don't seem as clear etc....

Thanks for the feedback guys...
๐Ÿ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
๐Ÿ–จ๏ธ Show Printable Version
โœ‰๏ธ Email this Page
๐Ÿ” Search thread
โ™พ๏ธ Similar Threads
๐ŸŽ™๏ธ View mentioned gear