The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Why do I generally get bored faster with electronic music than anything else?
Old 28th March 2020
  #1
Why do I generally get bored faster with electronic music than anything else?

The music can have the best build up in the world, and I can listen to the same track on repeat for days, but they bore me faster than say a simple acoustic track. I can listen to the best hip hop or trip hop on the planet, but I get bored so fast with it. I can listen to an old school techno set and really feel it and take that 909 beat in, but after 20 minutes I'm bored to tears. Only a few artists truly stand out and have a unique sound within electronic music, who keep me interested in wanting to hear new releases, but even the records I have of those artists are getting pretty dusty.

Is it the stiff machine-like repetition? It can have tons of soul, but usually sampled. Is it more sound design over actual composition? Synthwave, the one electronic music with lots of melody even starts to bother me because they're all perfect clones these days.
Old 28th March 2020
  #2
Lives for gear
 
flextone's Avatar
 

Because you consume trends and not music?
Old 28th March 2020
  #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by flextone View Post
Because you consume trends and not music?
I'm not only into trends.

I listen to everything from jazz to drum n bass. Hendrix to Alice in Chains, Classical to Italo Disco, Gregorian chanting to spiritual music, hardcore punk to Funkadelic. Kate Bush to Jan Hammer. Otis redding to Pink Floyd. Acid jazz to New Beat. The weirdest sh*t on the planet to the kinds of farts my own ass can produce.
Old 28th March 2020
  #4
Gear Head
 

I think I know what you mean. Its probably because its built out of this premise that a loop is enough to go on. And it is, but there is something hypnotic/robotic about it. After a while it gets soporific and you feel like you are being put under.

If a real drummer plays a groove, it pushes and pulls and has all these expressive differences that we really do hear and respond to.

I remember in the 90s when the "charts" became entirely loop and sample based it wasn't that subtle. The expectations for how much character a song should have just dropped overnight.

Artists like Aphex Twin and The Prodigy, though - I don't feel that so much with their stuff. Its just way too creative and playful.
Old 28th March 2020
  #5
Lives for gear
 
flextone's Avatar
 

Well then whatโ€™s your question? 99% of club music is rather boring and was never meant to provoke any interest. Itโ€™s a dancefloor tool. Notmally consumed by people under the influence in a dark room. Some dance music is great and to me, stands the test of time. Itโ€™s rare though. Good that you feel this way. Go make your own, fresh music.

You use the term electronic music, but you actually mean club music. Not the same thing.
Old 28th March 2020
  #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquidaudio View Post
The music can have the best build up in the world, and I can listen to the same track on repeat for days, but they bore me faster than say a simple acoustic track. I can listen to the best hip hop or trip hop on the planet, but I get bored so fast with it. I can listen to an old school techno set and really feel it and take that 909 beat in, but after 20 minutes I'm bored to tears. Only a few artists truly stand out and have a unique sound within electronic music, who keep me interested in wanting to hear new releases, but even the records I have of those artists are getting pretty dusty.

Is it the stiff machine-like repetition? It can have tons of soul, but usually sampled. Is it more sound design over actual composition? Synthwave, the one electronic music with lots of melody even starts to bother me because they're all perfect clones these days.
I would say only a few artists truly stand out full stop, no matter what genre label you attach.

The term electronic does not necessarily mean repetition to me. The term would group together Kraftwerk's Man Machine, Four Tet's rounds, A tribe called quest, and Gaiser. I'm not sure if it'd include the tape looping of Reich's come out.

I'm not sure what synthwave means really but I'd doubt the melodies would compare with Four Tet's rounds. Lots, or otherwise.

If you have a dusty copy of Ambient Works by Aphex and you have been trawling the synthwave bargain basement looking for offers....
Old 28th March 2020
  #7
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiser_of_1kHz View Post
I think I know what you mean. Its probably because its built out of this premise that a loop is enough to go on. And it is, but there is something hypnotic/robotic about it. After a while it gets soporific and you feel like you are being put under.

If a real drummer plays a groove, it pushes and pulls and has all these expressive differences that we really do hear and respond to.

I remember in the 90s when the "charts" became entirely loop and sample based it wasn't that subtle. The expectations for how much character a song should have just dropped overnight.
That's a bit how I see it too.
In the seventies and eighties I listened a lot to all kind of artists but because real humans were playing, it wasn't that repetitive.
Electronic music is more or less to chill or stay in the groove with some hypnotic character because mostly it's repetitive music.
Nothing bad about it but it's not the same as music played by humans.
As an example; I don't listen to K and D for more than an hour or so while artists like Steely Dan or Bill evans I easily listen for hours.
Old 28th March 2020
  #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by willem1958 View Post
That's a bit how I see it too.
In the seventies and eighties I listened a lot to all kind of artists but because real humans were playing, it wasn't that repetitive.
Electronic music is more or less to chill or stay in the groove with some hypnotic character because mostly it's repetitive music.
Nothing bad about it but it's not the same as music played by humans.
As an example; I don't listen to K and D for more than an hour or so while artists like Steely Dan or Bill evans I easily listen for hours.
You mean Kruder and Dorfmeister?

Yeah I guess it's the repetitive nature. I can get in a trance, but it doesn't really catch me emotionally most of the time. Like it it's always floating between great and not so great, but never extraordinary like somebody pouring their heart out and speaking through an instrument.

Old 28th March 2020
  #9
Gear Addict
 

[QUOTE=Liquidaudio;14617734]You mean Kruder and Dorfmeister?

Yeah I guess it's the repetitive nature. I can get in a trance, but it doesn't really catch me emotionally most of the time. Like it it's always floating between great and not so great, but never extraordinary like somebody pouring their heart out and speaking through an instrument.


Yes, Kruder and Dorfmeister
I see where you coming from.
If you like music like that I'm sure you dig this and not so well known;

Old 28th March 2020
  #10
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquidaudio View Post
The music can have the best build up in the world, and I can listen to the same track on repeat for days, but they bore me faster than say a simple acoustic track. I can listen to the best hip hop or trip hop on the planet, but I get bored so fast with it. I can listen to an old school techno set and really feel it and take that 909 beat in, but after 20 minutes I'm bored to tears. Only a few artists truly stand out and have a unique sound within electronic music, who keep me interested in wanting to hear new releases, but even the records I have of those artists are getting pretty dusty.

Is it the stiff machine-like repetition? It can have tons of soul, but usually sampled. Is it more sound design over actual composition? Synthwave, the one electronic music with lots of melody even starts to bother me because they're all perfect clones these days.
You ain't listening to the right music.
Old 28th March 2020
  #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRSC View Post
You ain't listening to the right music.
Enlighten me jedi master!
Old 28th March 2020
  #12
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquidaudio View Post
Enlighten me jedi master!
Another idiot Where do they all come from?
Old 28th March 2020
  #13
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRSC View Post
Another idiot Where do they all come from?
Don't call me an idiot, and show me the music you mean.

I'm genuinely interested.
Old 28th March 2020
  #14
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaultK View Post
The term electronic does not necessarily mean repetition to me. The term would group together Kraftwerk's Man Machine, Four Tet's rounds, A tribe called quest, and Gaiser. I'm not sure if it'd include the tape looping of Reich's come out.

I'm not sure what synthwave means really but I'd doubt the melodies would compare with Four Tet's rounds. Lots, or otherwise.

If you have a dusty copy of Ambient Works by Aphex and you have been trawling the synthwave bargain basement looking for offers....
Synthwave is the rehash of eighties synth based music, it grew out of french house/electro originally back in the early 2000's. Now it's a formula beaten to death, nothing new to explore anymore because they all copy each other.

I have some rare early Kraftwerk copies like radio activity, and I can't force myself anymore to throw them on, it's just such bland music. Yes they innovated, but that's all I can give them credit for besides some sticky melodies.

Aphex Twin is nineties electronic music's holy cow that I can't touch, but that's also just mindless vibey loops with an 808 ad infinitum if we boil that stuff down.
Old 28th March 2020
  #15
All things aside, I still think this is brilliant even though it aged terribly:





Composition is still the key though. Doesn't matter what you use.
Old 28th March 2020
  #16
Gear Maniac
 
Kozmos88's Avatar
 

Quote:
The music can have the best build up in the world, and I can listen to the same track on repeat for days, but they bore me faster than say a simple acoustic track. I can listen to the best hip hop or trip hop on the planet, but I get bored so fast with it. I can listen to an old school techno set and really feel it and take that 909 beat in, but after 20 minutes I'm bored to tears.
in the book :
"Loudspeakers For Musicians" by Vivian Capel
it's stated that .. if the human brain hears more than 3 cloned sounds one after the other ..
the brain will lose interest
( can't exactly quote as i no longer have that book )

so for me .. 'boring electronic music' means tracks that lack 'expression'
and it doesn't have to be blaringly obvious either ..
just subtle differences from note to note can make a big difference
( subtle differences in voltage as per analouge synths .. maybe ?
( rehtorical .. theoretical .. query :-) ..
to whether it be boring when repeated .. or not ..

i've only recently got back into experimenting with synths / samplers / drum machines
after a 30yr absence ..
previously i only used them to provide backing tracks so i could teach myself guitar
at one point got tired of messing with midi and computing ..
as it seemed to inhibit getting anywhere with guitar playing ..
the tipping point came when i needed to repeat a chordal riff on the guitar
i ended up sampling / repeating it 'cause i had little strength in my left hand
repeating a sample was the very last thing i wanted to do..
so .. sold the lot and kept guitar and amps .. plug in .. turn on and play .. simplz

a couple of years ago .. i did a music file swap with a neighbour
amongst the files that came my way .. were a bunch of electronic tracks
from the likes of 'boards of canada' and such ..
listening to some of the electronic track renewed my interest in synths again
as musical instruments .. not just as convenient devices to provide me
with emulated organ / piano / brass etc sounds to make backing tracks for guitar practise

listening carefully to the new-for-me electronic tracks
( prev the only electronic tracks that were of interest would have been the
( likes of Tomita's early recordings ..
i started to notice how there were subtle changes in texture ..
or not so subtle changes .. from note to note ..

something else i noted quite by accident ..
when i aquired my current synths ..
i was messing with a looping arp. patch .. thru headphones
left it looping as i did something else on my computer .. for about 10 min. or so
it occured to me that i were not getting particularly bored or ear-tired by it ..
that were on an analogue synth ..
tried the same using a digital softsynth from the computer ..
ears 'n brain got tired within less-than-a-minute
then tried the same with a hybrid synth ( esq 1 ) ..
brain interest time span .. more or less fell between the two previous experiments

so .. 'Liquidaudio' ..
i'd be curious if the mp3s in this link ..
are 'boring' .. or 'tiring' .. to your ears .. or not
( just curious is all )
to me they're not .. even the repeated loops aren't
i've not a clue as to the individual artists are
(i.e. without revisting YT 'n relistening to every track 'n making notes )
except for maybe one or two tracks by Vangelis

( EDIT ) .. sorry link posted didn't lead to the right post ..
so it's .. post no.3625 .. page 121 ..
What music is rocking your boat lately?

i think this is one of the Epicuros YT playlists i took them from
has lists of the artists
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWj38me8ldc

( i re eq'd them to my personal taste and the audio system i listen to
( i have a slight dislike for sub bass frequencies .. for example
( and i think some were re-recorded via a line tube amp

~~~~~~~~~~

to put the above into perspective
i'm now 67 yrs old .. with guitar being my main instrument
my neighbour with whom i swapped music be in his early 30's ..
and he was at colledge learning audio-visual production ..
so quite a difference as to what music we were both exposed to
in our teens .. for example
and tbh .. apart from early Tomita ..
i more or less disliked most synth / sampler music
( with a few exceptions ) untill i heard his collection ..
maybe it's the resurgence of analogue synths .. i don't know
but electronic music ain't as boring for me .. as it used to be

~~~~~~~~

having written all that :-0
any piece of music listened to over and over again repeatedly ..
gets tiring .. be one thing i dislike having to do ..
when composing / editing audio for example ..

~~~~~~~~~~

a.t.b.
Old 28th March 2020
  #17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquidaudio View Post
Synthwave is the rehash of eighties synth based music, it grew out of french house/electro originally back in the early 2000's. Now it's a formula beaten to death, nothing new to explore anymore because they all copy each other.

I have some rare early Kraftwerk copies like radio activity, and I can't force myself anymore to throw them on, it's just such bland music. Yes they innovated, but that's all I can give them credit for besides some sticky melodies.

Aphex Twin is nineties electronic music's holy cow that I can't touch, but that's also just mindless vibey loops with an 808 ad infinitum if we boil that stuff down.
Fair enough regarding synthwave, it doesn't sound very appealing. I can't imagine there was much to explore to begin with if it was a rehash of something. If you are talking about stuff like Justice then a lot of your comments make more sense.

No wonder you are bored.
Old 28th March 2020
  #18
Gear Head
 

Im currently banging away on a bunch on new tracks Im writing, using an MPC for the drums. They aren't typical electronic drums patterns, but sort of like indie rock patterns. For lack of a better phrase. I hate the term indie rock but I am at a loss to describe what I think of as "normal". Me being myself, my idea of normal might be a bit weird to most people. I have no idea.

I am using samples from recordings I have done before in some nice studios. Nothing wrong with the raw sounds.

The timing is perfect on everything. I nudge snare tracks a bit late, hats a bit late. Usually that helps a bit to give it less "toy soldiers" robotic in feel.

It should be just right.

But it really isn't.

I usually play with a drummer who makes it all just come together in a way I just can't express or replicate in any way with any clever trickery.

I want all this s%$t to be over so we can get together in the rehearsal room, where instead of countless emulations of SSLs and Neves and API's we have a pretty shoddy soundsystem and some boring digi amps. Only then will I hear the spirit of these tunes really come to life.

Anyone else know what Im talking about? Might not be the same for people who do mostly electronic music (which I love too, but don't usually make).
Old 28th March 2020
  #19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kozmos88 View Post
in the book :
"Loudspeakers For Musicians" by Vivian Capel
it's stated that .. if the human brain hears more than 3 cloned sounds one after the other ..
the brain will lose interest
( can't exactly quote as i no longer have that book )

so for me .. 'boring electronic music' means tracks that lack 'expression'
and it doesn't have to be blaringly obvious either ..
just subtle differences from note to note can make a big difference
( subtle differences in voltage as per analouge synths .. maybe ?
( rehtorical .. theoretical .. query :-) ..
to whether it be boring when repeated .. or not ..

i've only recently got back into experimenting with synths / samplers / drum machines
after a 30yr absence ..
previously i only used them to provide backing tracks so i could teach myself guitar
at one point got tired of messing with midi and computing ..
as it seemed to inhibit getting anywhere with guitar playing ..
the tipping point came when i needed to repeat a chordal riff on the guitar
i ended up sampling / repeating it 'cause i had little strength in my left hand
repeating a sample was the very last thing i wanted to do..
so .. sold the lot and kept guitar and amps .. plug in .. turn on and play .. simplz

a couple of years ago .. i did a music file swap with a neighbour
amongst the files that came my way .. were a bunch of electronic tracks
from the likes of 'boards of canada' and such ..
listening to some of the electronic track renewed my interest in synths again
as musical instruments .. not just as convenient devices to provide me
with emulated organ / piano / brass etc sounds to make backing tracks for guitar practise

listening carefully to the new-for-me electronic tracks
( prev the only electronic tracks that were of interest would have been the
( likes of Tomita's early recordings ..
i started to notice how there were subtle changes in texture ..
or not so subtle changes .. from note to note ..

something else i noted quite by accident ..
when i aquired my current synths ..
i was messing with a looping arp. patch .. thru headphones
left it looping as i did something else on my computer .. for about 10 min. or so
it occured to me that i were not getting particularly bored or ear-tired by it ..
that were on an analogue synth ..
tried the same using a digital softsynth from the computer ..
ears 'n brain got tired within less-than-a-minute
then tried the same with a hybrid synth ( esq 1 ) ..
brain interest time span .. more or less fell between the two previous experiments

so .. 'Liquidaudio' ..
i'd be curious if the mp3s in this link ..
are 'boring' .. or 'tiring' .. to your ears .. or not
( just curious is all )
to me they're not .. even the repeated loops aren't
i've not a clue as to the individual artists are
(i.e. without revisting YT 'n relistening to every track 'n making notes )
except for maybe one or two tracks by Vangelis

What music is rocking your boat lately?

i think this is one of the Epicuros YT playlists i took them from
has lists of the artists
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWj38me8ldc

( i re eq'd them to my personal taste and the audio system i listen to
( i have a slight dislike for sub bass frequencies .. for example
( and i think some were re-recorded via a line tube amp

~~~~~~~~~~

to put the above into perspective
i'm now 67 yrs old .. with guitar being my main instrument
my neighbour with whom i swapped music be in his early 30's ..
and he was at colledge learning audio-visual production ..
so quite a difference as to what music we were both exposed to
in our teens .. for example
and tbh .. apart from early Tomita ..
i more or less disliked most synth / sampler music
( with a few exceptions ) untill i heard his collection ..
maybe it's the resurgence of analogue synths .. i don't know
but electronic music ain't as boring for me .. as it used to be

~~~~~~~~

having written all that :-0
any piece of music listened to over and over again repeatedly ..
gets tiring .. be one thing i dislike having to do ..
when composing / editing audio for example ..

~~~~~~~~~~

a.t.b.
First I want to say that this is a very interesting post.

I love Khruangbin, and I have been following them for a while now. Even though it's very loopy, the guitar player is out of this world, the rhythm section is on point. They made me search out my old funk records that I still love. Good stuff, very fusion, a nice tight pocket. But they're not that electronic based I think. The key is the guitar player who takes the lead to keep this stuff interesting. And that bass goddess is easy on the eyes, the bow tie on the package. The legs on her..

White zombie, nothing new. To me boring. Nineties guitars, nineties SSL mix, nineties reverb. Again good guitar playing though.

Look mum no computer, bin following this guy also for a while, the stuff he makes is just experimental w*nkery but it's cool haha. Love his crazy professor vibe. And the synths he makes. Fun guy to watch.

Satriani, I'm the biggest fan. He is in my top 10. No words, other than a great player, composer, personality and he grabs my attention all the time. I have most of his albums.

Not a Billy Joel fan, not a Devo fan. All the rest I think was ok. Standouts to me are the track by Johann Johannsson and Jah Wobble (enough nuance, interesting).

Love me some Reggae, but that's often too repetitive for me after a while.

I'm the kind of person who you always see with headphones on, I wake up with music and go to sleep with music, spent all the money I could on gear, buying trading, trying out, repairing, living with it and breathing this stuff.

I started with old analog synths because of my love for electronic music. I'm now 30 and playing only guitar because I feel I can express myself with it a lot more. You're right about pushing down a note and having it pulsate and change slightly. I had that with my first synth, a Sequential Pro One. This thing could transport me to the strangest places with it's built in arpeggiator. It made me feel like John Carpenter. It never bored me because it felt alive.

Well I sold them all in favor of string instruments. I don't know. Pushing down blocks didn't appeal to me anymore, the sounds did but having only a pitch wheel to put in some actual feel and nuance.. you know what I mean. It felt too limited. Pluck a string, let it ring, notice how many nuances it has. It's hovering over a magnet, converting it into sound. To me that's pretty natural. I'm always looking for something human or natural in music. When I don't get that element, I lose interest. Either something cosmic or human, hardly ever robotic.

I like Epicuros. Interesting stuff. Then again it's the right sounds, the right atmosphere, the right composition. Very deep music and layered. Something that keeps engaging me. But after one hour and thirty minutes I could hear something else.

Technology is lowering barriers to entry to making your own music. And it's harder to get out there because we all have the same tools. We're all in such direct competition, it's crazy. You used to have Vangelis and Tomita, Kraftwerk, ELO, and Tangerine Dream in the synth section. Now... Jesus Christ I can't keep up anymore.

Have you heard of Steve Moore by the way?

Old 28th March 2020
  #20
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaultK View Post
Fair enough regarding synthwave, it doesn't sound very appealing. I can't imagine there was much to explore to begin with if it was a rehash of something. If you are talking about stuff like Justice then a lot of your comments make more sense.

No wonder you are bored.
I liked Justice as a kid, but damn that's some fad-laden boring ass overcompressed micro sample music. Only really liked Planisphere part 1 and 2. That's just cool music even if 80 percent is samples.
Old 28th March 2020
  #21
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiser_of_1kHz View Post
Im currently banging away on a bunch on new tracks Im writing, using an MPC for the drums. They aren't typical electronic drums patterns, but sort of like indie rock patterns. For lack of a better phrase. I hate the term indie rock but I am at a loss to describe what I think of as "normal". Me being myself, my idea of normal might be a bit weird to most people. I have no idea.

I am using samples from recordings I have done before in some nice studios. Nothing wrong with the raw sounds.

The timing is perfect on everything. I nudge snare tracks a bit late, hats a bit late. Usually that helps a bit to give it less "toy soldiers" robotic in feel.

It should be just right.

But it really isn't.

I usually play with a drummer who makes it all just come together in a way I just can't express or replicate in any way with any clever trickery.

I want all this s%$t to be over so we can get together in the rehearsal room, where instead of countless emulations of SSLs and Neves and API's we have a pretty shoddy soundsystem and some boring digi amps. Only then will I hear the spirit of these tunes really come to life.

Anyone else know what Im talking about? Might not be the same for people who do mostly electronic music (which I love too, but don't usually make).
Get together and play your hearts out my man. The shoddy soundsystem might blow any SSL mix out of the water if the artistry is on point. Digital amps are good these days, if it's something like a Kemper or Axe FX. Humans playing together is a wonderful thing, something lacking a lot these days.
Old 28th March 2020
  #22
Gear Maniac
 
Kozmos88's Avatar
 

..
Quote:
Have you heard of Steve Moore by the way?
no .. but ..
i have now :-)

Thanx for posting ..
will continue to listen to his YT channel as i'm eating dinner at moment
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
then i'm going to trawl thru my collection
'n share some mp3's on here (GS)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`

Ok .. impromptu mp3 posting ..
( @ 320 kbps )

an explanation 4posting them can be found @ post no.3653 .. page 122
What music is rocking your boat lately?

( audio files shared between friends circa 1990 or thereabouts )
the artists name is Paul Hill ( capricorn sun-sign if i remember correctly )
whom i met in Bradford .. west. yorks u.k .. at "the mill" when Ali Biggs
hosted jam sessions there ..

ps: i've no idea what gear was used :-/
(edit ) .. they might have been taped at onestage ..
think they were a cd .. but i taped many a cd back then ..
then years later .. converted all my tapes to .aiffs
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`
Attached Files

10_paul hill.mp3 (15.04 MB, 698 views)

05_paul hill.mp3 (12.78 MB, 686 views)

04_paul hill.mp3 (12.14 MB, 688 views)

03_paul hill.mp3 (11.15 MB, 677 views)

02_paul hill.mp3 (14.21 MB, 685 views)

01_paul hill.mp3 (7.31 MB, 660 views)

09_paul hill.mp3 (8.34 MB, 675 views)

07_paul hill.mp3 (14.24 MB, 670 views)

Old 28th March 2020
  #23
Lives for gear
you did a bait and switch talking about "electronic music" and then its just Enigma and Vangelis. But I have been exposed to some new things from some posters in this thread so its all good.
Old 28th March 2020
  #24
Quote:
Originally Posted by gminorcoles View Post
you did a bait and switch talking about "electronic music" and then its just Enigma and Vangelis. But I have been exposed to some new things from some posters in this thread so its all good.
Some things I find pretty interesting, unknown new and old:









Will get back to you Kozmos88, need sleep.
Old 29th March 2020
  #25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kozmos88 View Post
..


no .. but ..
i have now :-)

Thanx for posting ..
will continue to listen to his YT channel as i'm eating dinner at moment
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
then i'm going to trawl thru my collection
'n share some mp3's on here (GS)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`

Ok .. impromptu mp3 posting ..
( @ 320 kbps )

an explanation 4posting them can be found @ post no.3653 .. page 122
What music is rocking your boat lately?

( audio files shared between friends circa 1990 or thereabouts )
the artists name is Paul Hill ( capricorn sun-sign if i remember correctly )
whom i met in Bradford .. west. yorks u.k .. at "the mill" when Ali Biggs
hosted jam sessions there ..

ps: i've no idea what gear was used :-/
(edit ) .. they might have been taped at onestage ..
think they were a cd .. but i taped many a cd back then ..
then years later .. converted all my tapes to .aiffs
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`
This stuff actually sounds pretty nice, sounds like it could be made today besides the early rompler orchestras and pianos.
Old 29th March 2020
  #26
Gear Maniac
 
Kozmos88's Avatar
 

Tibetan Horns

just going to drop this YT in here .. ( it be a 'list' type )
it may be of interest .. not sure how much is electronic .. or not ..
i was aiming to post the full mp3 .. but it's too long ( i've got it as one long piece )
file size be too big for GS embedding ..

anyhowz .. fer now ..
' Phil Thornton & Steven Cragg ' .. hope it ain't boring :-)
it's ambient .. bit meditation like .. sort of ..

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Quote:
need sleep.
methinks that might have prompted this yt post :-)
of which .. i did an experiment once .. using cubase 'logic' feature
has 3 or 4 samples of 'tibetan singin' bowls' ..
the samples were offset over time .. ending up in the same place they started ..
giving some random interaction between the samples .. over 45min
gave the file ( tape ) to a friend
.. who liked it as meditation music ..
i used to use it as a sort of sound barrier when going to sleep
leaving it repeating all night .. had noisy neighbours back then who
made my sleep somewhat uncomfortable ..
( i reside in an old victorian back-to-back terrace house )
'n now have 3 screaming 4yr olds and 1 shouting adult to deal with
ho .. hum ..
one day i'm going to plug in my gtr amp 'n scream back :-)
( i use a vox tonelab direct to mixer at moment
( gives me what i want as far as 'tone' is concerned @ home

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

ok ( EDIT TO ADD ) .. just listening to that YT list above ..
the joins are a bit crapolla to listen to ... so ..
IF anyones interested in lets say a few mp3's faded in and out ..
i.e. of the full piece .. i could do that 'n post them sometime ..
.. or an aiff/wav via dropbox maybe ?
the piece i've got be 46min in total ( 465 meg as an aiff )

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Quote:
This stuff actually sounds pretty nice, sounds like it could be made today besides the early rompler orchestras and pianos.
yeah ..
i like them as musical 'ideas' ..
can't help but think if Paul had continued ..
he might have made a name for himself as a composer
( maybe he did .. but still can't find 'owt about him via google )

my music listening tastes changed as i got older
found that i tolerated listening to loud rock etc .. less and less
was a time i'd have the car stereo blaring .. speakers thumping ..
these days i find that simply distracting .. and ..
used to have a bit of an issue with 'road rage' ..
discovered that if i have calm music on the stereo ..
am less likely to loose my temper :-/
'n those trax have stood the test of time ..
always part of an relax/ambient driving shuffled playlist ..

sort of strange how often a piece of music
will coincide with a visual occurrence ..
like .. 'snowflakes are dancing' by tomita ..
and it starts to snow just as the track starts to play

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`

Quote:
Some things I find pretty interesting, unknown new and old:
enjoyed listening to those ..
some new trax in there for my road playlists :-)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`
Old 2nd April 2020
  #27
Gear Addict
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sturgeon%27s_law

He says that 90% of everything is crap, but that's only because when he coined it, it used to take a lot of something to put your stuff out there, and now anyone with a few dollars worth of toys can do it, so the new rule is that 99.9% of everything is crap. What follows, is that anything that is easy to do, requires few skills, and is essentially arbitrary and repetitive in nature, is prob. 99.9999% crap.
Old 2nd April 2020
  #28
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquidaudio View Post
The music can have the best build up in the world, and I can listen to the same track on repeat for days, but they bore me faster than say a simple acoustic track. I can listen to the best hip hop or trip hop on the planet, but I get bored so fast with it. I can listen to an old school techno set and really feel it and take that 909 beat in, but after 20 minutes I'm bored to tears. Only a few artists truly stand out and have a unique sound within electronic music, who keep me interested in wanting to hear new releases, but even the records I have of those artists are getting pretty dusty.

Is it the stiff machine-like repetition? It can have tons of soul, but usually sampled. Is it more sound design over actual composition? Synthwave, the one electronic music with lots of melody even starts to bother me because they're all perfect clones these days.
It's about to get even worse.

An add came on Youtube the other day for a...."Do it all for you?" Plugin.

From what I gathered, someone who knows little or nothing about music can make a track by answering questions about what they wanted to hear.

Of course, the guy in the ad was "This here took my prooocin' to the next level"

And it showed him head boppin', looking all self-satisfied that he had "figured out" the "Produuucin'" angle, without having to actually know how to do anything.

Stuff like this is the wave of the future, music (Including melody, lyrics can't be far behind) written via an algorithm, which is nice enough to ask your opinion every once in a while.

YEEHA DAWWWG! PRODOOOCIN' DA BEEETZ! ROOFING DA FEEZ! #GITMUNNYPRODUCTIONZ
Old 2nd April 2020
  #29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolavine View Post
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sturgeon%27s_law

He says that 90% of everything is crap, but that's only because when he coined it, it used to take a lot of something to put your stuff out there, and now anyone with a few dollars worth of toys can do it, so the new rule is that 99.9% of everything is crap. What follows, is that anything that is easy to do, requires few skills, and is essentially arbitrary and repetitive in nature, is prob. 99.9999% crap.
I grew up with electronic music, I always loved other stuff on the side but it was mostly electronic music that caught my attention at first. Now that I'm older and wiser, (well I don't know about the latter but..) I feel that it's time to focus on the one string instrument that still finds it's way to charm me and that's my electric guitar. In a world where everything is fake and synthesized, my insides crave realness.

I was on a search for settling on a genre to pursue. I came to the conclusion that pretty much everything has been done. I even wanted to make soundtrack music at one point, but that would require me to use VST orchestras, and I couldn't handle the fake strings anymore. If I had the budget and the talent I would compose orchestral music all day at Abbey Road, but that's not going to happen.

So now I'm trying to make instrumental rock, layered stuff. Something for every mood. Something that isn't linear. And something I can pour my heart into. Tried pouring my heart into a Moog synth last year, I sold the damn thing.
Old 3rd April 2020
  #30
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquidaudio View Post
I grew up with electronic music, I always loved other stuff on the side but it was mostly electronic music that caught my attention at first. Now that I'm older and wiser, (well I don't know about the latter but..) I feel that it's time to focus on the one string instrument that still finds it's way to charm me and that's my electric guitar. In a world where everything is fake and synthesized, my insides crave realness.

I was on a search for settling on a genre to pursue. I came to the conclusion that pretty much everything has been done. I even wanted to make soundtrack music at one point, but that would require me to use VST orchestras, and I couldn't handle the fake strings anymore. If I had the budget and the talent I would compose orchestral music all day at Abbey Road, but that's not going to happen.

So now I'm trying to make instrumental rock, layered stuff. Something for every mood. Something that isn't linear. And something I can pour my heart into. Tried pouring my heart into a Moog synth last year, I sold the damn thing.
I'm a guitar junkie too, mostly the classical, I never get tired of the sound of it and have fun making noises on it without effects using my fingers. Keep the faith brother!
๐Ÿ“ Reply
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
๐Ÿ–จ๏ธ Show Printable Version
โœ‰๏ธ Email this Page
๐Ÿ” Search thread
๐ŸŽ™๏ธ View mentioned gear
Forum Jump
Forum Jump