The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
actual good songwriting forum?
Old 27th February 2020
Here for the gear

actual good songwriting forum?

is there an actually good-current songwriting forum? no offense, just don't like the culture on this board.

thanks
Old 27th February 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by death View Post
is there an actually good-current songwriting forum? no offense, just don't like the culture on this board.

thanks
What are the prerequisites, in your opinion, that makes a forum "good"?

There are not too much teaching going on in here, if that is what you looking for, but if you have music theory questions or anything related to songwriting, you will get an answer or two.

Yup, the "culture" around here is definitely an acquired taste.

You can always Google: "Songwriting Forums" and maybe find something that is more to your liking.

Good Luck,
~HW
Old 27th February 2020
Gear Guru

Quote:
is there an actually good-current songwriting forum?
Not that I'm aware of.

Quote:
no offense, just don't like the culture on this board.
How Groucho. :-)
Old 27th February 2020
Lives for gear

What about the world culture right now? Is that so in line with our core beliefs that we never turn to specialized forums on the Internet?

How many angels can dance on the head of a pin?

Why did he shoot the sheriff, but not Barney Fife?
Old 28th February 2020

A wise man is sitting outside the gated walls of a great city. A traveler approaches. "Tell me, wise man, what kind of people will I find here?"

"What kind of of people did you find in the city whence you come?" asked the wise man.

"Good and kind. Generous and friendly."

"You will find the same, here, traveler."

Later that same day, another traveler approached the wise man.

"Wise man -- what sorts of men and women live in yon city?"

"What sorts of people did you find in the city you are coming from?"

"Fools and dolts, cheats and swindlers. A pack of liars."

"Sadly, my friend, you will find the same here."
Old 28th February 2020 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronos147 View Post
What about the world culture right now? Is that so in line with our core beliefs that we never turn to specialized forums on the Internet?

How many angels can dance on the head of a pin?

Why did he shoot the sheriff, but not Barney Fife?
It was all about Thelma Lou.
Old 28th February 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
is there an actually good-current songwriting forum? no offense, just don't like the culture on this board. [. . .]
With a handle like @ death , I would have thought you would feel at home here?

While I've learned a lot from GS contributors about music recording and production, I do think other social media platforms currently offer more value for the process of songwriting, specifically. . .from Meetups to FB Groups to YouTube channels. Not yet knowing your specific goals, I would blindly suggest participation on YouTube as being most useful.

That said, there are many very talented and highly experienced members on GS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herr Weiss View Post
What are the prerequisites, in your opinion, that makes a forum "good"? [. . .]
And I would have the same question as @ Herr Weiss .

Best wishes,

Ray H.
Old 29th February 2020
Here for the gear

I've been lurking on GS for years, it's not inexperience, GS is great for talking about gear and I've learned a lot from the engineers, producers on here but the songwriting forum is very 'dated' in my opinion.. I'm just not a fan of how people carry themselves here vs the other boards on here, that's all.. I never did talk down GS as a whole in the OP, simply the songwriting forum.
Old 29th February 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
I've been lurking on GS for years, it's not inexperience, GS is great for talking about gear and I've learned a lot from the engineers, producers on here but the songwriting forum is very 'dated' in my opinion.. I'm just not a fan of how people carry themselves here vs the other boards on here, that's all.. I never did talk down GS as a whole in the OP, simply the songwriting forum.
I just sent you a "Friendship Request".

We think alike.

~HW
Old 29th February 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:

thanks
It’s funny you should mention that... one is coming
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblue1 View Post

A wise man is sitting outside the gated walls of a great city. A traveler approaches. "Tell me, wise man, what kind of people will I find here?"

"What kind of of people did you find in the city whence you come?" asked the wise man.

"Good and kind. Generous and friendly."

"You will find the same, here, traveler."

Later that same day, another traveler approached the wise man.

"Wise man -- what sorts of men and women live in yon city?"

"What sorts of people did you find in the city you are coming from?"

"Fools and dolts, cheats and swindlers. A pack of liars."

"Sadly, my friend, you will find the same here."
Ugh... that’s my line of old chinese wisdom

But, in this case it doesn’t apply... GS is unique in this regard...
Lives for gear
Quote:
[. . .] but the songwriting forum is very 'dated' in my opinion [. . .]
I'm not certain what you mean by 'dated'? For me, personally, the weakness is more an issue of lack of focused and sufficient participation.

Songwriters more often seem to make contributions across threads on other sub-forums on GS - sometimes diluting the value, sometime enhancing the value of their thoughts. . .for me. . .in context of that other discussion.

I suspect that if you increase your post count, you will find many useful responses - admittedly the quality will be mixed. . .and there will doubtless be much one just has to ignore or find a way to kindly tolerate.

Ignoring for a moment the way some 'carry themselves' here, can you articulate what is missing that would make it 'undated'?

Are there any threads on GS you can point to that are examples of what would be useful - from your perspective and specifically for songwriting?

Kind regards,

Ray H.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgood View Post
Ugh... that’s my line of old chinese wisdom

But, in this case it doesn’t apply... GS is unique in this regard...
I dunno... it seems to generally hold in my observations.

But, of course, perspectives differ.
Old 29th February 2020
As (possibly) the only one active in this thread who has moderated a songwriting forum (for about 7 or 8 years, a once-busy forum whose parent site name rhymed with Schmarmony Schmentral), I have a lot of thoughts on online songwriting workshops and other forums...

I think they can be really helpful to people who approach them looking for constructive peer criticism, but, like any forum filled with irascible, often-irritable creatives, it can take a LOT of hands-on moderating keeping things running more or less smoothly -- and it can also require some creative and flexible strategies for keeping such a forum free of the kind of relentless spam and promotional posting the evil viral marketing 'experts' push (for lack of actual good ideas). I found participation in such a forum as a songwriter to be, for me, quite valuable. But, as a moderator, it was ENORMOUSLY fatiguing and somewhat emotionally draining at times.
Old 25th March 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblue1 View Post
But, as a moderator, it was ENORMOUSLY fatiguing and somewhat emotionally draining at times.
Ah yes........but that was a good forum....then.
Old 25th March 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'm with you here man...

not much original flavor on this board but it is what it is...

Let me know if you find something!
Old 27th March 2020 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unclenny View Post
Ah yes........but that was a good forum....then.
Thanks, man. I well understood one can't please everyone all the time and, after a while, it seemed some of the strictures were chafing some folks -- something I could easily understand. I tried to walk a delicate balance. Eventually, my own fatigue draining me, I felt I had to pass off the baton. I think Lee K. did a great job and I was glad he was willing to take the (unpaid) position, but I think both burnout and the real world pressures of being a studio owner, dad, and singer-songwriter while still modding the forum probably took their toll there, too.

I cruised through a few weeks back and it was pretty sleepy. Real sleepy. But then, the whole place is a bit that way these days, I'm afraid. I see more of the old folks on FB, seems like, via Ken L's entertaining photo threads.

Time. Eh? At least I ditched the cigarette it put in my mouth...
Old 10th April 2020
Lives for gear

It really would be nice to have a good, online songwriting forum. It's probably hard to get a good one happening because a good culture has to be established (and creating a healthy, nurturing culture on a message board might too much of an ask).

I've been in a few songwriting groups over the years. I found them to be very helpful. All of them were small, tight knit little circles where we established ground rules early on. The issue of trust was extremely important - after all, we were playing songs that were "works-in-progress" for the sake of obtaining constructive criticism. You needed to know that your peers would be honest yet gentle with their critiques, especially if you're baring your soul.

On any message board, that kind of culture would not be established easily. One troll and the whole thing could disintegrate quickly. And message boards are rife with anonymous trolls who gleefully enjoy upsetting people. The writers groups I was in would never have invited those types of people to participate. Here they can chime in at any moment and piss all over someone's heartfelt material. And if that happens even once, you will probably lose your most sensitive members (who often are the best at giving critiques).
Old 11th April 2020 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingerSongWriter View Post
I think the golden age of songwriting ended in the 90s.
You're right. Rocks been dead for a long time.
Old 11th April 2020
I guess it depends what your personal goals are?

Maybe I'm just not able to see the problem. In this forum I've only really seen two types of bad behavior

1. Thin skinned, not being able to take criticism or feedback and having a meltdown despite asking for criticism and feedback.
2. Veering off topic into irrelevancies such as personal politics or taking umbrage at a lyric that doesn't align with a personal world view.

Both of these are cognitive dissonance problems, i.e. reality didn't match expectation. It just takes a little self awareness to solve. I haven't seen anyone purposefully setting out to harm or hurt others, no trolling or flame baiting (yet).

In terms of usefulness of the forum itself, I haven't seen too much proactive community effort things like friendly competitions or collaborations so far, that seems the purview of facebook groups and discord servers these days. But when people post questions or looking for feedback it seems like people do make an effort to respond in an honest straightforward way.

What are your expectations?
Old 12th April 2020
Lives for gear
You forgot one: people who can't seem to grasp (or refuse to use) the two clearly marked threads up top to post demos on and instead post an entirely diff thread because they think they merit "special attention"

OP if you find such a place, please post.
Old 12th April 2020
Odd. I've never taken note of any culture in this forum.

I enjoy the opinions of everyone who posts.
Old 12th April 2020
Gear Maniac

Are there ANY other songwriting forums?
Old 12th April 2020
Lives for gear
It astounds me how few people seem aware of this site www.google.com

Or if you don't like Google's snoopiness (and I don't blame you): www.duckduckgo.com
Old 13th April 2020 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pezz View Post
Are there ANY other songwriting forums?
There were. But this one shut them down cold.
Old 13th April 2020
A few folks like this one...

https://www.songwriter-forum-kitchen...orum/index.php

Their songs for review forum looks fairly active:

https://www.songwriter-forum-kitchen...-for-review/2/
Old 16th April 2020
Gear Nut

Last edited by IGotWorms; 19th April 2020 at 09:21 AM..
Old 17th April 2020 | Show parent
Quote:
That's part of it. The music industry has shrunk. Sales are in the toilet. Modern country sucks. The blue guitar slingers like Bonamssa and Eric Gales are more show than go and are not helping the blues genre evolve.

Music today is so unappealing that radio won't play it because nobody wants to hear it.
Gee... I'm almost 70 and I hear a lot of great music that's new to me -- as well as older stuff I've never had a chance to get to know.

And it's not like I haven't been into music for a long time. I have more than 1200 LPs, a couple hundred singles and 78s, well over 500 albums on CD... but the 'celestial jukebox' era has allowed me to explore music I couldn't find or never got around to buying or simply hadn't come across. And I'm not really into the 'popular' stuff -- I wasn't into mainstream rock and pop, I never liked 'modern' country, don't like new age jazz, tired of electronica pop decades ago. But I still find loads of interesting music, including plenty that's fresh to me. For me, it's been about keeping my ears open -- and having good sources to draw from. In that regard, the modern distribution paradigm has been a heavensent, helping me to salvage and enjoy all-but-forgotten gems from both the long ago and even the recent past...
Old 17th April 2020
Lives for gear

It is what you make it. Lurking won't help improve the things you don't like.

Be the change you want to see in the world!
Old 18th April 2020 | Show parent
Quote:
The last song I heard that moved me was A Little Bit of Everything by Dawes. Maybe I was spoiled listening to songs by Lennon, Leonard Cohen, Gordon Lightfoot, Billy Joel, John Prine, Prince, Michael Jackson, Motown, The Eagles, Beach Boys, Stones, The Who, Zeppelin, Dylan (when he could still write) Cat Stevens, Beach Boys, Randy Newman, Johnny Cash, Kris Kristofferson, Bare Naked Ladies, Lucida Williams, J Giles Band, Hendrix, Doobie Brothers, George Jones, Hank Williams, Heart, Zappa, Metalica, Earth Wind and Fire, BT Express, James Brown, Joan Jett, Grateful Dead, Captain Beefheart, Michael Jackson, Live, Paul Simon, Miles Davis, Weather Report, Steely Dan, Blue Oyster Cult, Rush, Van Halen, Reo Speedwagon etc... The last country artist that floated my boat was Hank 3 who never got airplay as far as I know. There is no artist today that comes close to all of the above IMO.

What I think is going on it that there is a glut of music and "musick" and most of if is free for the listener. Also, there are a lot of clueless non musicians making inorganic "musick".

If you have Roku go to Film Rise and check out how Steely Dan's album Aja was made. Becker and ***an dissect the album track by track. It's very enlightening.

I suppose I like any music if it was soul, honest intent, feel and motive. If music like that is being produced with those qualities today the corporate thugs who have wrecked the music industry and screwed artists wouldn't recognize good music if it flew up and bit them on their greedy butts.
Hmm... looks like your tastes were pretty broad back in the day. I'm a little surprised you haven't heard more stuff you enjoy going forward, but, then, of course, it's not like we all hear the same stuff anymore -- unless, of course, one listens to corporate radio via air or satellite.

(Me, I stopped listening to commercial radio in the late 80s when I realized just how much paylola and 'co-promotion' seemed to play a role in determining that 'the kids' would hear.)

That said, until the advent of modern streaming in the first decade of the new century, I had been getting deeper and deeper into my own, rather idiosyncratic groove. When I could finally subscribe to an on-demand service and hear what I wanted, when I wanted, without digging through 1700 albums and singles -- including music I'd always wanted but never owned as well as new music I'd never heard, I was in the proverbial hog heaven.

My stylistic tastes are broad, from roots to avant-garde jazz to orchestral music to folks like the aforementioned Capt. Beefheart (who I saw 5 times) and the Residents (who I've never seen), and these days with a BIG dose of roots country, bluegrass from the last half century plus, and a number of younger, 'Americana' bands. I don't like all or even most, by any means. But I keep listening and when I hear something that tickles my ear, I save it to my stream library or a playlist so I don't lose track.

It works for me.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear