The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Musical Dreams
Old 13th February 2020
Lives for gear

Musical Dreams

I have dreams where I am composing, and playing all the instruments with my mind. All different genres. And they are amazing. Sometimes full symphonies.

If I could remember them when I wake, I'd be like a Mozart. Unfortunately I can't.

I questioned whether or not its just my imagination, or if they are real compositions. They are real. I know this because I have remembered snippets of it, and what little I remember is just the best stuff I've ever written.

Anyone else here have musical dreams? Any tips on how to remember them?
Old 13th February 2020
Lives for gear

Hey Snorktop, there is a very good reason that recall memory from dreaming fades so quickly and that is: dreams are produced during REM sleep at a much higher speed than our waking perceptions of awareness. Dreams within dreams... at an even greater speed (like octaves). Your mind seems to be quite fixated on your active craft as a composer which is a good thing, I myself have developed a way to dream at REM speed while awake, much like sleepwalking only completely awake and functioning in this world while analyzing the material my mind is presenting to me in dream state speed. This is due to having invented a device to produce this state of consciousness although I keep it under wraps as the phenomenon can cause a dementia-like state of heightened forgetfulness. I used my own brain as a guinea pig in an 8 year experimentation trial and have learned to stay on my feet when this "state of being" stops by for a visit (not often). I once passed out and hit the deck so I can't see promoting the use of this "wave modulator" for public use. My development of this device to it's current model had nothing to do with dream analysis but was initially designed for slowing down the progression of a neurological disorder that runs in my family that , within the medical community has no cure. I am the only one at this time showing strong symptoms of the condition (familial essential tremors) My work as a photographer is highly affected but playing musical instruments ,so far, has been unaffected. As a musician and composer I never dream of playing music or composing such. Good luck in your endeavors. Cheers.

Last edited by AfterViewer; 14th February 2020 at 08:20 PM..
Old 14th February 2020
Lives for gear

I get most of my good songs in a dream. I am lucky though because most of them are lucid and can just keep playing them over and over until I have it memorized. I had a dream a few years ago of a beautiful song I remembered only a few parts of it. So I swore to study Toltec dreaming until I became proficient at lucid dreaming. I would urge you to look at Ken Eagle Feathers Toltec books...

An old trick to remember is to preset your mind in a dream to look at you hand while you are in a 'vivid dream' (which is just like being at a movie a spectator. You might wake up a few times at first - but you get the hang of it... and then you are in control... gl
Old 14th February 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfterViewer View Post
Hey Snorky, there is a very good reason that recall memory from dreaming fades so quickly and that is: dreams are produced during REM sleep at a much higher speed than our waking perceptions of awareness. Dreams within dreams... at an even greater speed (like octaves). Your mind seems to be quite fixated on your active craft as a composer which is a good thing, I myself have developed a way to dream at REM speed while awake, much like sleepwalking only completely awake and functioning in this world while analyzing the material my mind is presenting to me in dream state speed. This is due to having invented a device to produce this state of consciousness although I keep it under wraps as the phenomenon can cause a dementia-like state of heightened forgetfulness. I used my own brain as a guinea pig in an 8 year experimentation trial and have learned to stay on my feet when the "state of being" stops by for a visit. I once passed out and hit the deck so I can't see promoting the use of this "wave modulator" for public use. I myself, as a musician and composer never dream of playing music or composing such. Good luck in your endeavors. Cheers.
Well said too - nice. Toltecs often say you are always in between sleep and wake states. You can access the sleep state when wide awake - just like a daydream etc. and access wake while you sleep. There are in between transition states that I call 'hypnogogue' - either going into or out off the 'sleep state'.
Old 14th February 2020
Lives for gear

The speed and versatility of the REM dreamstate platform is in essence an individualized virtual quantum computer. Returning to the same dreamstate "environment" to continue "working" or just to be in familiar territory for relaxation (various mechanisms employed), the mind will feel at home even though the rules of perception and "logic" have completely change from what you acknowledge as waking state "reality". Much like the difference between applications and observations relating to physics VS quantum physics.
Old 15th February 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfterViewer View Post
The speed and versatility of the REM dreamstate platform is in essence an individualized virtual quantum computer. Returning to the same dreamstate "environment" to continue "working" or just to be in familiar territory for relaxation (various mechanisms employed), the mind will feel at home even though the rules of perception and "logic" have completely change from what you acknowledge as waking state "reality". Much like the difference between applications and observations relating to physics VS quantum physics.
There are some tribal groups in the Pacific that believe the sleep/dream state is the real world and the wake state is the artificial one. It is a pretty cool perception - and I can see why.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search