The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Best books/doc on songwriting/recording session methods of disco/funk/reggae/rock etc
Old 2nd February 2020
Lives for gear

Best books/doc on songwriting/recording session methods of disco/funk/reggae/rock etc

I watched a film on John Morales the disco studio legend. There was no footage or information on the musicians and the recording process. John was present at the screening and I got to ask him about the musicians and sessions. He explained that the drums, bass and guitar would track first. Everyone had song sheets. Then other stuff would get overdubbed. Not sure the sequence. But obviously a string section was used here and there.

I have all the gear (home studio). I like drum machine and real drums.

I want to read and watch information on playing of instruments and the recording session methods that were used especially on dance groove style music. I want to immerse my mind in the processes of songwriting and how things were run to make different genres.

One distinction for me is playing to a metronome or not. Another is the fact that these groovy disco sounds from Philly had the live rhythm section which dictates a human feel.

Maybe some of this is obvious and I know a lot already. But learning how things were done by different session men, studios, record labels would be informative in many ways.

I guess I would like to emulate some of that old time funky groove, and become a session player and producer.

I am googling around to find books and videos of different session groups especially 70s and 80s. Maybe 60s as well. But I thought I would consult the enthusiasts on this forum who may have read and watched some good books/movies about recording sessions and musicians. Knowing the specifics of how the music came to be from the songwriting to the recording session techniques would be thrilling.
Thanks y'all.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search