The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
I wrote a hit song but need to know
Old 1 week ago
  #1
Here for the gear
 

I wrote a hit song but need to know

if it has already been written. Kind of like Paul dreaming Yesterday. He had to ask around. Could have sworn it was something he heard.

Is there an online algorithm to test a melody to see if it has been dreamed up and recorded already?
Old 1 week ago
  #2
Just link it here and you'll be told in 2 seconds
Old 1 week ago
  #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by hello people View Post
Just link it here and you'll be told in 2 seconds
Best damned piece of advice I've ever seen given on this forum.
Old 1 week ago
  #4
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittyfranco View Post
if it has already been written. Kind of like Paul dreaming Yesterday. He had to ask around. Could have sworn it was something he heard.

Is there an online algorithm to test a melody to see if it has been dreamed up and recorded already?
If you really think you have something special, don't play it here. Probably none of the people who would critique it here have the ear, experience or knowledge to assess it properly as to whether it has mass appeal.

Seriously, do the work and find someone who matters- and let them hear it. The chance of anyone on here actually helping you is very slim, because most of the people on here don't know what makes a hit a 'hit'- they may understand all the technical details but they don't have a producer's ear or vision.

Good luck.
Old 1 week ago
  #5
Here for the gear
TRSC has a good a point. It's a double-edged sword though. We could either encourage or discourage you in case you decide to share your hit song with us. The worst that could happen is that we would pinpoint any problematic parts (e.g. section A doesn't lead well into section B).

Anyone attempting to steal your ideas would be met in a dark alley by a group of us.* We got your back.

*for a small fee that the hit song would definitely cover.
Old 1 week ago
  #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRSC View Post
If you really think you have something special, don't play it here. Probably none of the people who would critique it here have the ear, experience or knowledge to assess it properly as to whether it has mass appeal.

Seriously, do the work and find someone who matters- and let them hear it. The chance of anyone on here actually helping you is very slim, because most of the people on here don't know what makes a hit a 'hit'- they may understand all the technical details but they don't have a producer's ear or vision.

Good luck.
I'm sure the collective readership of GS thanks you for the perhaps not entirely gratuitous slight...

... but the OP was looking for an 'originality check' -- not a 'genius check.'

He already seems to feel it's got hit quality, he just apparently wants to make sure he didn't 'reinvent' someone else's work.

It should probably also be noted he seemed to be looking for an app -- rather than human listeners -- which we might leap to presume means he's worried about it getting ripped off or copied. It's been my general experience that most alleged song rip offs come from former bandmates and/or performance/writing partners. Even when bandmates didn't formally contribute to a song, they have often seemed to develop a sense of ownership over time that sometimes leads to contention with the actual writers. The other common vector seems to be managers and suits, but they're more likely to accomplish their dire deeds with paperwork and deceit.

What I haven't heard alleged are thefts that have derived from posting songs openly or passing around cassettes. That's NOT to say that it couldn't or doesn't happen. I strongly suspect, at least to some extent, it certainly does.

But it's also my sense that most folks who have to steal songs typically don't have the imagination and insight to recognize a jewel in the rough... they seem more likely to steal from stuff that's already been a hit and proven its commercial appeal.

I also suspect that many such types don't have the imagination or skill to take a raw, potential hit (they have stolen from someone) and turn it into something that can actually rise in the marketplace.

But, you know, experience and life being what it is, as soon as someone like me suggests that something like that is almost never going to happen... it just might.
Old 1 week ago
  #7
Lives for gear
 
Sharp11's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblue1 View Post
I'm sure the collective readership of GS thanks you for the perhaps not entirely gratuitous slight...

... but the OP was looking for an 'originality check' -- not a 'genius check.'

He already seems to feel it's got hit quality, he just apparently wants to make sure he didn't 'reinvent' someone else's work.
That's right; and what I always tell my students is if you think your song is worth millions of $, you should be happy to have the problem of being sued and sharing royalties on it.
Old 1 week ago
  #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp11 View Post
That's right; and what I always tell my students is if you think your song is worth millions of $, you should be happy to have the problem of being sued and sharing royalties on it.
First world problem, champagne division.
Old 1 week ago
  #9
Lives for gear
 
Jeff Hayat's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittyfranco View Post
I wrote a hit song
Really? What stations is it playing on?


Quote:
Originally Posted by kittyfranco View Post
Is there an online algorithm to test a melody to see if it has been dreamed up and recorded already?
https://www.musipedia.org/

http://bestclassicaltunes.com/DictionaryPiano.aspx

And more.

Cheers.
Old 6 days ago
  #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Hayat View Post
Really? What stations is it playing on?




https://www.musipedia.org/

http://bestclassicaltunes.com/DictionaryPiano.aspx

And more.

Cheers.
I haven't had a chance to play with those yet, but they look really interesting!
Old 6 days ago
  #11
Lives for gear
 
Jeff Hayat's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblue1 View Post
I haven't had a chance to play with those yet, but they look really interesting!
They can actually work, believe it or not.
Old 6 days ago
  #12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Hayat View Post
They can actually work, believe it or not.
I will have to explore them. Whenever I come up with what sounds to me like an enticing melody, I figure I'm unknowingly stealing some or all of it from somewhere...
Old 6 days ago
  #13
Lives for gear
 
Jeff Hayat's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblue1 View Post
I will have to explore them. Whenever I come up with what sounds to me like an enticing melody, I figure I'm unknowingly stealing some or all of it from somewhere...
Well, technically, everyone who writes/composes is stealing something from somewhere. It just comes down to a person's definition of "stealing".
Old 5 days ago
  #14
Lives for gear
 
Herr Weiss's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Hayat View Post
Well, technically, everyone who writes/composes is stealing something from somewhere. It just comes down to a person's definition of "stealing".
I resent that insinuation!


~HW
Old 5 days ago
  #15
Lives for gear
 
Jeff Hayat's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herr Weiss View Post
I resent that insinuation!
As do I, but facts are facts.
Old 5 days ago
  #16
Lives for gear
 
Herr Weiss's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Hayat View Post
As do I, but facts are facts.
It makes sense that somehow/someway, every tune that I ever heard is imprinted in my brain.
Still, it does not mean that I consciously or subconsciously tap into this amalgam of music memories when composing.

Give me some facts to the contrary.


~HW
Old 5 days ago
  #17
Lives for gear
 
Jeff Hayat's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herr Weiss View Post
It makes sense that somehow/someway, every tune that I ever heard is imprinted in my brain.
Yep. Do you lose some stuff over time? Probably. But most - if not all - of it is there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herr Weiss View Post
Still, it does not mean that I consciously or subconsciously tap into this amalgam of music memories when composing.
Usually not consciously.

When you write - you write what you are familiar with; you write what you know. And it all has to come from somewhere.

You have a library of music in your brain. When you sit down at the piano, at the drum set, with a guitar, when you stand in front of a mic... when you try to write, or just improvise, you are accessing that library.

Now, is that theft? No - not if you go by the dictionary def of that word. But you are taking pieces of what's up there to express yourself musically.

Cheers.
Old 4 days ago
  #18
Lives for gear
 
Herr Weiss's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Hayat View Post
Yep. Do you lose some stuff over time? Probably. But most - if not all - of it is there.



Usually not consciously.

When you write - you write what you are familiar with; you write what you know. And it all has to come from somewhere.

You have a library of music in your brain. When you sit down at the piano, at the drum set, with a guitar, when you stand in front of a mic... when you try to write, or just improvise, you are accessing that library.

Now, is that theft? No - not if you go by the dictionary def of that word. But you are taking pieces of what's up there to express yourself musically.

Cheers.
I do not agree with you at all.

If what you said is true, all one had to do was to listen to "The Greatest Hits Ever" and voilá, you have your own "hit".

Nevermind that some people go as far as "stealing" the complete chord progression of a song and still have the gall to claim authorship.

People continue to write "mediocre" music because they lack discernment; they are not even aware that they go around wearing blinders their whole damn life!!


~HW
Old 4 days ago
  #19
Lives for gear
 
Jeff Hayat's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herr Weiss View Post
If what you said is true, all one had to do was to listen to "The Greatest Hits Ever" and voilá, you have your own "hit".

No - that's not the way it works. So, how exactly does it work? This is beyond my level of understanding, but it has to do with brain function, the ability to access what's there, and so on.

On the other hand, all one has to do is learn English, and they can have a conversation with anyone else who speaks English. Would they be able to have a conversation with anyone else? No.

Cheers.
Old 4 days ago
  #20
Lives for gear
 
Sharp11's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herr Weiss View Post
I do not agree with you at all.

If what you said is true, all one had to do was to listen to "The Greatest Hits Ever" and voilá, you have your own "hit".

Nevermind that some people go as far as "stealing" the complete chord progression of a song and still have the gall to claim authorship.

People continue to write "mediocre" music because they lack discernment; they are not even aware that they go around wearing blinders their whole damn life!!


~HW
You may not agree, but Jeff has the science on his side - 80% of your thinking is done at the unconscious level. The "aha" moment, when you're out walking and recognize a good tune in your mind is the brain sending it up for approval after having worked it out in your unconscious mind, where you had no access to it (this is the science behind the McCartney dream and "yesterday") - if you want to know more, google it up - it's fascinating.

The fine points of copyright law are a different matter, most people are woefully misguided by memes that simply aren't true. Copyright law is an evolutionary process, and unless you've been involved in a suit of your own, you have no idea what's involved.
Old 4 days ago
  #21
Lives for gear
 
Herr Weiss's Avatar
 

Maybe I was misunderstood, but from my own experience, music that comes to me out of the blue, is 99.9% of my output.
I even feel guilty taking credit for it.

I do want to post a favorite of mine, as an example of what can be done.

Old 4 days ago
  #22
Lives for gear
 
Sharp11's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herr Weiss View Post
Maybe I was misunderstood, but from my own experience, music that comes to me out of the blue, is 99.9% of my output.
I even feel guilty taking credit for it.
Yes, that's the point - the 99.9% percent you're claiming is your unconscious mind.
Old 3 days ago
  #23
The way it is now, stealing songs is easy. Good luck getting compensation. I've had an EDM song stolen and just getting it taken of streaming sites was a pain in the butt. I think it is still up on Google play. If someone in another country steals your intellectual property, good luck getting justice.
Old 3 days ago
  #24
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Hayat View Post
They can actually work, believe it or not.
I tried this out of curiosity/boredom. They don't. I even tried some famous melodies and they didn't get it right.

In short: no, there's no online site to see if your melody was written. Even if the sites above actually worked reasonably well, there's no realistic way they will have anywhere near the volume of even all songs copyrighted, never mind all songs produced and played. The logical option for you is to just do it and if someone sues you because you have a hit record, that's probably a better situation to be in than recording it and nobody is interested in enough in it to care.

And if you throw it out on the internet on any site, don't be exactly shocked when it's ripped off unless you copyrighted it first.
Old 3 days ago
  #25
Lives for gear
 
Jeff Hayat's Avatar
 

Well, they have worked for me in the past.
Old 2 days ago
  #26
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingerSongWriter View Post
The way it is now, stealing songs is easy. Good luck getting compensation. I've had an EDM song stolen and just getting it taken of streaming sites was a pain in the butt. I think it is still up on Google play. If someone in another country steals your intellectual property, good luck getting justice.
That's pretty interesting. I'm interested in any particulars you feel like sharing.

I've run into lots of, let's call them, unauthorized postings of recorded songs under the original artist's name, almost all of it in nations that don't (much) enforce copyright. (One can imagine they're thinking on leaving the original artist's name: if anyone is searching for a song by title, they're probably looking for a specific tune; even more likely, they may be searching for favorite artists, in which case, the pirate site would definitely want to use the true artist's name.) I've found my own recordings (and I'm nobody ) illicitly hosted 'around the world,' but under my own name. It's definitely something that has happened and no doubt continues to happen.

But I've always been at least a little surprised I haven't run into more people whose songs have been have been fully stolen (either the song, itself, or a recording thereof) and credit taken by the thief.

I've been discussing songwriting online since the 1990s (or before, since I participated in the dial up BB scene in the 80s) and even moderated a songwriting forum on (a different) once-busy musician website for seven years and, I have to say that the overwhelming majority of the song-theft claims I've heard/read over the years have been regarding songs 'stolen' by ex-music partners/bandmates/co-writers and so on -- people who presumably felt they'd contributed to the song enough to claim it or part of it.


So... did they steal your lyrics, your music, and/or your recording? And did they relabel it with another artist's name?

Thanks in advance for any info you want to share, as I want to be as accurate as possible when I talk about this stuff; your experience definitely counts.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump