The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Afraid to share unfinished (un-copyrighted) song with a vocal coach
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Afraid to share unfinished (un-copyrighted) song with a vocal coach

Hi,

I have been dealing with a vocal issue in a particular song for a while now.. it's been preventing me from finishing the song so I've sought out a local vocal coach (also a songwriter) to work through the part.

My concern is that this vocal coach is very active in the area with his own band, and I'm scared to "share" the song that I've worked for years on with a fellow songwriter that I don't really know. I've been trying to research copyright/registration stuff all day, but it seems like a PITA to copyright a song that is only 90% complete. I've looked into preregistration, but I don't believe that applies. I know that a song is technically copyrighted as soon as it's in any tangible form, but I'm also aware that it needs to be registered to have any weight in court.

Am I overthinking this? I think the song has a ton of potential but maybe I'm worried about too remote a possibility... I don't know.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

It's most certainly not a PITA to copyright a song that is only 90% complete. The process is the same. Register what you have; partial works can be registered.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I agree that letting someone hear and/or copy it is bad business. Get it legally covered one way or another. Perhaps register it as Blob-Un and when you finish it, register the finished version as Blob-Done........................ or whatever.

[If those names work, I want royalties.]
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

If he's active with a lot of contacts you want the song in his hands where he's playing it for people. Those connector types are your the best friends of studio-centric and up-and-coming musicians.

I highly highly highly doubt he'd steal it, the thievery concerns of unknown musicians tend to be waaaaaaay out of whack. If he does try to steal it you can get your name further on the map calling him out for it publicly and presenting your version to the people, adds drama that gives everyone a reason to listen which is the hardest part of the game.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

If you're concerned about your coach's ethics, you should get another coach!

I know it's not that simple but how could they continue to operate in their community with a history of that behavior?
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Hayat View Post
It's most certainly not a PITA to copyright a song that is only 90% complete. The process is the same. Register what you have; partial works can be registered.
This. I do a copyright filing every couple years, of both finished stuff and songs with incomplete lyrics, or hooks without verses. In the U.S. at least, registering a bunch of song mp3s online (for one fee) is pretty straightforward.

On a deeper level:Getting bits of your stuff nicked by other writers is an unavoidable risk of putting original music in front of humanity. So unless the vocal coach in the OP is a known song thief, and moves in professional circles—why worry? Do the copyright and sleep tight. If you’re really concerned, copyright the song in 2019 and start seeing the coach in 2020.

Personally, I register songs mostly for peace of mind, and as a way of feeling productive. I don’t have the means to sue a plagiarist. I figure that in the unlikely chance a song I wrote took off, at least I would be protected from someone claiming I stole THEIR song.

fwiw

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search