The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Vocal Harmony ala Green Day punk pop
Old 2 weeks ago
Vocal Harmony ala Green Day punk pop

Hey y’all

What’s generally the deal with the Green Day vocal setup ... doubles... harmonies? If harmonies, what intervals equal that pop punk feel?

Thx

Last edited by bgood; 2 weeks ago at 08:29 PM.. Reason: Add
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgood View Post
Hey y’all

What’s generally the deal with the Green Day vocal setup ... doubles... harmonies? If harmonies, what intervals equal that pop punk feel?

Thx
Took a quick listen to "Holiday" and the harmony (what there is of it) seems to be two-part. In the first pre-chorus there's a line with gang unison that splits into a major 6th on the last note. The line right after that, over the melody there's a high two-note pedal harmony. "Pedal" meaning holding the same note(s), not moving up and down in parallel with the melody.

Is that the nature of your question? I'm pretty good at picking this kind of thing apart, and I'd be glad to reverse-engineer another song if you had something different in mind.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
Took a quick listen to "Holiday" and the harmony (what there is of it) seems to be two-part. In the first pre-chorus there's a line with gang unison that splits into a major 6th on the last note. The line right after that, over the melody there's a high two-note pedal harmony. "Pedal" meaning holding the same note(s), not moving up and down in parallel with the melody.

Is that the nature of your question? I'm pretty good at picking this kind of thing apart, and I'd be glad to reverse-engineer another song if you had something different in mind.
That was precisely my question. Although, you hurt my feelings explaining pedal notes... xoxo

I’m awful at picking apart vocal harmonies. It’s a musical blind spot.

Thanks, Brent!!!
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgood View Post
... you hurt my feelings explaining pedal notes... xoxo
Explaining to them, not you. There's always a lot of them reading this stuff. And for the majority of them, the first definition of "pedal" is "synonym for stomp box." Saving myself some typing later on.

Last edited by Brent Hahn; 1 week ago at 08:01 PM..
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
Explaining to them, not you. There's always a lot of them reading this this stuff. And for the majority of them, the first definition of "pedal" is "synonym for stomp box." Saving myself some typing later on.
Brent... you’re a wise man.

I’m gonna use a dbx 160a on this tune just FYI. In my head, it’s the Hahn 160a now

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search