The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
New Software Tool for Songwriters
Old 1 week ago
  #1
Here for the gear
 

New Software Tool for Songwriters

Hello! I am both a songwriter and law student at UT-Austin. In one of my classes, I am working on a software project called Preferenda (www.preferenda.com) that collects real-time feedback on songs. This feedback reveals what collaborators like and dislike about the song. It can also be used to quickly "test" songs with general listeners. The goal is to give songwriters a feel for what works and what doesn't, ideally before large investment is made in recording and promoting the song.

My team is currently in the process of understanding what users really want in terms of data and user experience. It would be a huge help if you please take the quick survey linked below. Information about your songwriting process in particular would be greatly appreciated, as we all have different workflows.

Here is a link to the survey: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/FMRF8HT

Thank you in advance, and please feel free to ask questions or just reply with your thoughts here. My team has a booth at SXSW next March, so please swing by if you're in Austin!
Old 1 week ago
  #2
Quote:
Originally Posted by trmckenz View Post
Hello! I am both a songwriter and law student at UT-Austin. In one of my classes, I am working on a software project called Preferenda (www.preferenda.com) that collects real-time feedback on songs. This feedback reveals what collaborators like and dislike about the song. It can also be used to quickly "test" songs with general listeners. The goal is to give songwriters a feel for what works and what doesn't, ideally before large investment is made in recording and promoting the song.

My team is currently in the process of understanding what users really want in terms of data and user experience. It would be a huge help if you please take the quick survey linked below. Information about your songwriting process in particular would be greatly appreciated, as we all have different workflows.

Here is a link to the survey: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/FMRF8HT

Thank you in advance, and please feel free to ask questions or just reply with your thoughts here. My team has a booth at SXSW next March, so please swing by if you're in Austin!
Quote:
Preferenda supplies musical artists with a plethora of information related to listener preferences.
[italics added]

That may well be true -- but is it what you really wanted to communicate?

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/plethora

A lot of us feel like we're already buried under a plethora of information in our everyday lives.


There are some interesting ideas. It seems to incorporate the timeline commentary aspect of some other music exposure tools (like SoundCloud), while trying to streamline them to make it easier (one supposes) to offer more feedback quickly. (I'm interested to see how well that will work in practice.)

As a songwriter who also moderated a songwriting workshop forum on another once-busy music BB for a number of years, I'm definitely interested in anything that can help musicians get feedback on their songs.


By the way, I notice there is no user engagement component -- no 'call to action' (in the lamentable web jargon of our era) on your website to get the user to do something (like sign up, upload, listen, etc).

At the very least, you should probably have a 'sign up to get more info when we launch' type engagement/personal info collector.
Old 1 week ago
  #3
Gear Guru
 
Brent Hahn's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by trmckenz View Post
Hello! I am both a songwriter and law student...
You've posted the same thread with three different titles. Shows initiative, I guess. :-)
Old 1 week ago
  #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
You've posted the same thread with three different titles. Shows initiative, I guess. :-)
Five, but who's counting? Well, having once been a mod, I suspect they are.

But, yeah, if you, Trent M, are not familiar with a particular social media venue, it's often best to keep a light touch on the promotional posting. The various forums and sub-forums may seem like individual communities but, in reality, there's a lot of lateral travel in this BB system, so folks might well start feeling, you should pardon the term, spammed. I'm sure that is not your intent!
Old 1 week ago
  #5
Gear Guru
 
Brent Hahn's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblue1 View Post
... if you, Trent M, are not familiar with a particular social media venue, it's often best to keep a light touch on the promotional posting...
... and maybe a good idea to take a peek at the terms of service. They're sorta like laws, but invented and enforced by the Executive Branch.
Old 1 week ago
  #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
... and maybe a good idea to take a peek at the terms of service. They're sorta like laws, but invented and enforced by the Executive Branch.
He's in law school at UofT. I'm hoping he's got that part wired!

But, of course, a very important part of any online service, regardless if money changes hands!


I'll admit... I think I've gotten too sloppy about ToS signing. I just did the prelim signup for a new aggregator I'm interested in -- and never once thought to look at the ToS. (That said, all I did was make up a password and give them my email, but that could be a form of assent, too.)
Old 1 week ago
  #7
Here for the gear
 

Thank you again! Sorry for the spamming. I wasn't sure where to post to reach the most, so I tried to cover all of my bases. I will be more conscious of being tactful next time

We should have a more usable demo platform next year... I will keep checking in here for ideas. I really do appreciate the insight.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump