The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Any neat solutions to record the room constantly in a session?
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Any neat solutions to record the room constantly in a session?

Wondered if anyone had some cool solution to the old "i hope you were recording" problem when sketching ideas and the main rig is not recording , nor anybodies phone...

Something that could be on all the time, yes could probably do with a separate from Pro Tools app with own mic input , just wondered if anyone had anything else working, hardware or other.

Easily skipping back a minute is essential, what i like about if PT is in record is you can quickly search and clip gain up the quietest idea in the room.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Why not turn on pro tools. I do
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Back in the early 80s there was always one of those rackmount Pioneer RT-707 1/4" tape decks being fed by a couple PZMs on the studio wall, and if I wasn't too distracted I might even remember to change the reel on time. But I haven't even had to think about that in the past ~20 years because I almost never work with artists who write in the studio (I almost wrote "artists who don't arrive prepared" LOL!)
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Maybe it would be possible to repurpose an old smart phone or tablet to do this. You'd still need to start it up, but with enough memory for the recording time, it would be easy enough. An old laptop or other computer would be even better, and you could add hard drives to up the recording time. Or a Zoom or Tascam or whatever portable recorder. Or an old Alesis Masterlink and a preamp, or other hard drive recorder with analog inputs. If possible run the mic through a super-squashing limiter and you won't need clip gain for the quiet parts. You can find cheap omnidirectional mics for business meetings, either tabletop or ceiling mountable.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear
When Peter Gabriel enters his writing shed his assistant turns on the room mics and starts recording a stereo file to a small Pro Tools rig. Everything is captured from the beginning to the end of the session.

It's actually something I intend to implement in my new installation.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search