The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Typing "in" chords..?
Old 19th August 2019
Here for the gear

Typing "in" chords..?

I'm a huge fan of electronic music but would like to work with and add more advanced chords and progressions than is usually seen in the genre. At the same time my piano skills are pretty bad. Therefor....

I'm looking for a way to literally type chord progressions into arrangements in Ableton (or Logic) the same way as it is done in "Band-in-a-Box", "Chordbot" and perhaps even more programs. Has anyone heard about a solution to this challenge?

Technically it should be easy to create what I'm looking for. I once saw a guy on Youtube who could type chords into Band-in-a-Box and then made his Tyros (styles) follow the progression. Could this be done with a DAW instead of a Tyros? And is it perhaps allready done?

I'm sure I'm not the only one who loves electronic music, but at the same time are missing harmonic development in the genre. What do you guys do?

Sincerely

mads A
Old 19th August 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I'm a huge fan of electronic music but would like to work with and add more advanced chords and progressions than is usually seen in the genre. At the same time my piano skills are pretty bad. Therefor....

I'm looking for a way to literally type chord progressions into arrangements in Ableton (or Logic) the same way as it is done in "Band-in-a-Box", "Chordbot" and perhaps even more programs. Has anyone heard about a solution to this challenge?

Technically it should be easy to create what I'm looking for. I once saw a guy on Youtube who could type chords into Band-in-a-Box and then made his Tyros (styles) follow the progression. Could this be done with a DAW instead of a Tyros? And is it perhaps allready done?

I'm sure I'm not the only one who loves electronic music, but at the same time are missing harmonic development in the genre. What do you guys do?

Sincerely

mads A
BiaB has a MIDI export function (either to the clipboard for cut and paste or to a standard GM-oriented MIDI file).

You can easily paste the MIDI export of the current arrangement in BiaB into the DAW of your choice and work from there. (Any parts you mute in BiaB are empty in the export.)
Old 19th August 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblue1 View Post
BiaB has a MIDI export function (either to the clipboard for cut and paste or to a standard GM-oriented MIDI file).

You can easily paste the MIDI export of the current arrangement in BiaB into the DAW of your choice and work from there. (Any parts you mute in BiaB are empty in the export.)
That's true and the same can be done in iReal Pro, ChordBot and also in probably even more programs.

What I'm after is the instead change in chords and arrangement that makes it possible to experiment with a high paced workflow. So far, Chord Assistant in Cubase is the closest thing to what I'm looking, but I really don't want to change DAW. Captain Chord, Scaler and Chord Composer can also do the job, but here you have work with the internal sounds in these programs. Hmmmm.......

I heard that something called the Chord Track once was available in Logic, but was removed in Logic Pro X. Why.....???

Does anyone have a suggestion?
Old 21st August 2019
Old 21st August 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy1 View Post
I might have LOVED that in the early 80s when I first started working with keyboards and synths...

I like the developer's description of the tool. He makes it sound more like a learning tool than a production shortcut.

Also, I note that (like Sound Forge's old ACID), you can change the content on the fly as a work is being tracked/played. I used ACID's very different production model to create one short piece 'faster than I could listen to it.' (IOW, the piece was created in less time than it took to [re-]play it.)

That odd but cool capability can help you work out ideas while staying in the groove.
Old 21st August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblue1 View Post
I might have LOVED that in the early 80s when I first started working with keyboards and synths...

I like the developer's description of the tool. He makes it sound more like a learning tool than a production shortcut.
He's classically trained. And ime he's right about getting stuck in your patterns as a player, or else when you do step outside of your patterns, things require too much thought to vibe out to in rhythm with the groove you're working with. Its a nice way to vibe out harmonically without the pesty intellect in the way. I personally have spent some fair time with it but its never actually made it into a song.

I don't believe shortcuts exist though, outside a comparison point to an older method. One man's shortcut is a younger man's "the way" and his brainpower gets used to push from that point forward instead of learning old roads. When it comes to the top, that is. How the masses stay weak and fall short isn't ever on my radar. Not to say I wouldn't recommend learning an instrument well in general, but its not necessary in the least to creating amazing music.
Old 21st August 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy1 View Post
He's classically trained. And ime he's right about getting stuck in your patterns as a player, or else when you do step outside of your patterns, things require too much thought to vibe out to in rhythm with the groove you're working with. Its a nice way to vibe out harmonically without the pesty intellect in the way. I personally have spent some fair time with it but its never actually made it into a song.

[...]
Agreed. I'm not really a keyboardist but I've certainly noticed how easy it is to get trapped in doing what you know/feel comfortable with. And, with marginal players like myself, those limitations can really start showing.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search