The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Songwriting Competition - a game on the Mix Challenge community
Old 15th August 2019
Gear Maniac

Songwriting Competition - a game on the Mix Challenge community

I tried to reach out to the moderators to maybe change the topic title of the old thread to re-purpose it. I didn't get a response however. So I'm setting up a thread that is updated irregularly for everyone to check in, ask questions, etc. I hope this is okay and adds to the readability of this forum.

Hello there, nice people of Gearslutz.

I'd like to make all readers of this forum aware of the Mix Challenge audio community. More specifically the monthly recurring Songwriting Competition.

Image Source: Youtube, screenshot of Helmsdrums "Improvised Jam Session" on Youtube, released under Youtube Standard License

What is the Songwriting Competition (or SWC in short)?

The Songwriting Competition (SWC in short) is a monthly recurring friendly competition. At the start of each month, you're given a theme and in some cases even a genre. You then have 24 days to create a production with whatever tools you have at your disposal. The game starts on each 1st of the month, and ends on the 24th at 11:59pm Central European Time (Germany, to be precise).

Sounds interesting - how long as this been going on?

Since September 2017. As of the time stamp of this post, we're 24 months into the game and are running SWC024. But as with every community, we would love to see more participation. The more contestants, the more feedback, the more fun.

What are the general themes?

There is no definite plot thread. It's just what comes to mind to the staff, the Patrons of the community or the participants. So far we tackled topics like scary stories on Halloween, creating image themes for a video game, having dedicated Metal and Techno months each, etc. In September 2018, we covered the topic "Mental Health". In January 2019, we had a very popular "limited sound set" Songwriting Competition, where the sound sources were provided by forum members. And in May 2019, we tackled the 80s Synth-Pop/Rock genre parallel to Superbooth 2019.

There are more interesting themes and genres in queue. I'm sure there will be something available for everyone. Especially those that want to step a bit out of their comfort zone and try new things.

Interesting, so what are the rules?

Super simplified:
  • check the Mix Challenge forum on the 1st of the month for the theme and desired genre
  • then start to create a production with whatever tools are at your disposal, collaborate with as many people as you want - as long as the production has been made "recently" / for this game
  • make your entry downloadable and present it on the Mix Challenge forum
  • once the submission period has ended, grab all productions and listen to each entry
  • then give feedback (this is mandatory) to your top 20 contestants and also rank them in order (1st Place = 20 points, 2nd Place = 19 Points, etc)
  • after the feedback and voting period has ended, wait for the score sheet and cross your fingers to maybe even land on the Winners Podium

There is a more detailed "Rules and Guidelines" to cover all possible eventualities on the Mix Challenge forum.

Did I pique your interest? If so, then head over to the Mix Challenge homepage and take a closer look. Joining is absolutely free. And if you like it over there, please do spread the word on social media.

More on:
https://mix-challenge.com

Thank you for your time.
If you have any questions, feel free to ask and I try to answer them ASAP.
Old 18th August 2019
Gear Maniac

A friendly reminder for everyone interested:

Songwriting Competition 024 is still in full swing.
The deadline is the 24th August 2019 11:59pm GMT+2/CEST (7 days left)

Genre: Muzak / Elevator Music
Theme: "Elevator Pitch"

Participants have a chance to win prizes, e.g. from IK Multimedia, kv311 Audio, Tone2, JRR Sounds, Luftrum, Rekkerd Sounds, Ghostwave Audio, Hollow Sun, Hornet Plugins and satyatunes Graphic and Sound Design

Please do spread the word as much as you can.

More on:

Direct link to the current game can be found here
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

A friendly reminder for everyone interested:

Songwriting Competition 026 is still in full swing.
The deadline is the 24th October 2019 11:59pm GMT+2/CEST (20 days left)

Genre: free to select
Theme: "Saturday Morning Breakfast Cartoons"

Participants have a chance to win prizes, e.g. from IK Multimedia, kv311 Audio, Tone2, JRR Sounds, Luftrum, Rekkerd Sounds, Ghostwave Audio, Hollow Sun, Hornet Plugins and satyatunes Graphic and Sound Design

Also still running:

Remix Challenge 003
The deadline is the 15th October 2019 11:59pm GMT+2/CEST (11 days left)

ORIGINAL GENRE: (Acoustic) Rock
DESIRED GENRE: Rock/Soundtrack Hybrid

Participants have a chance to win prizes, e.g. from MuTools, JRR Sounds, kv311 Audio, Tone2, Hornet Plugins, Luftrum, Ghostwave Audio and Rekkerd Sounds

Please do spread the word as much as you can.

More on:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search