The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
What is a normal amount for a Music Publishing Advance ?
Old 6th August 2019
  #1
Here for the gear
 

What is a normal amount for a Music Publishing Advance ?

Hey Everyone,

I have been in contact with some publishers and I heard that there is a difference between the publishing advances you get in America vs Europe. What do you guys know is like a normal advance for a 3-year type deal with a major publisher in, and where to look for in a deal?
Old 7th August 2019
  #2
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Concentratebold View Post
Hey Everyone,

I have been in contact with some publishers and I heard that there is a difference between the publishing advances you get in America vs Europe. What do you guys know is like a normal advance for a 3-year type deal with a major publisher in, and where to look for in a deal?
These days, zero, pretty sure.
Old 8th August 2019
  #3
Lives for gear
 

Depends on your existing cuts, what’s lined up for the near future, the level of the artists cutting your songs, etc. There’s no standard, any more than there’s a standard business loan. It all depends.
Old 9th August 2019
  #4
Lives for gear
 
duckoff's Avatar
 

In the UK majors I'd say start at 30k and up, if you have a few decent cuts & are buzzy, 50-150k if you're established 150k up.... ish
Old 12th August 2019
  #5
Lives for gear
 

Friends of mine have had £40k as writers with small cuts. £80k as artists with record deals.
Old 22nd August 2019
  #6
Lives for gear
 
BlackBackDrop's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mat1 View Post
Friends of mine have had £40k as writers with small cuts. £80k as artists with record deals.
That is great! who did they sign with?

Could do with some of that now my spine is ducked.
Old 24th August 2019
  #7
Lives for gear
 

They take your soul and copywrite's and you pay for their lambo
Old 24th August 2019
  #8
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxplayerz View Post
They take your soul and copywrite's and you pay for their lambo
They tend to take half of the publishing (half of 50%), so you keep 75%.

They lose money on most writers, the main issue writers encounter with a publishing deal is the inability to recoup and the stress that comes along with needing to deliver 500% of major label cut ownership in two years or whatever, for money already paid to you.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump