The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Any tips for dense pop music, wall of sound productions … filling it out?
Old 6th August 2019
Lives for gear
Question Any tips for dense pop music, wall of sound productions … filling it out?

Listening to Aurora's debut and lots of pop music lately, trying to fill songs with constant variations and counter harmonies/melodies/rhythms can be difficult.

Sometimes I try to go slow and compose everything one at a time, but I easily lose perspective of the whole song and parts don't fit with each other.

I've recently tried using arpeggiators to give me some random ideas, then print the MIDI and edit the piano-roll until it sounds right. But then I'm leaving it up to chance and that can be a very long process of experimentation.

I tried singing and playing guitar with the song, but nothing ever sticks. I end up soloing and just masturbating all over the piece without a solid direction.

Any tips to fill out an arrangement?
Old 6th August 2019
Lives for gear

Just keep at it. Really, after 35 years of
writing and recording music, that is my
tip. Keep trying, you will eventually start
getting it, or you’ll give up.
Old 7th August 2019
Here for the gear

Are you talking about just producing? I'd say keep the beat simple and let the artist throw in their own sound effects/adlibs. Some of the best beats are the simpler ones without too many different melodies.
Old 7th August 2019
Gear Head

Maybe I'm stating the obvious, but the bass and the lead/vocal normally sketch in one or two tones of the chord. For example if the chord is C, and the bass is playing just C notes, and the vocal is alternating G and a high C, that leaves the third of the chord unexpressed. So a few E notes help express the chord. They can be the foundation of a counter melody, which will probably be mostly chord tones. Then it's worth considering the SATB harmony concepts as guidelines, for instance parallel motion weakens the counter melody.

Also consider "hiding" something from the bridge/chorus in a counter melody. Inverted, sped up or slowed down, turning second intervals into arpeggiation or vice versa; it kind of prepares the ear to hear the "real" version. Or just use the first half of a phrase as the counter melody, suitably transposed for the chord its on, and you get both halves in the bridge.

Also the counter can provide a "false answer" or "false continuation" to the lead melody.

I've tried to figure this out from Vince Clarke; have no idea about today's music.
Old 7th August 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Circulate View Post
Are you talking about just producing? I'd say keep the beat simple and let the artist throw in their own sound effects/adlibs. Some of the best beats are the simpler ones without too many different melodies.
I'll keep that in mind.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search