The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Trouble hearing correct vocal pitch while singing
Old 23rd July 2019
Gear Head

Trouble hearing correct vocal pitch while singing

Hi Guys,

I've been told I'm a decent singer, and I can sing close to correct pitch, but I personally have issues even hearing what the 100% correct pitch really is for my voice when doing cover songs.
I'm just taking guesses kinda, and yes I'm close but I want to be able to hear and sing spot on with confidence, instead of what I'm doing right now, which is never being really sure if I'm hitting the correct pitch spot on.
Should I maybe try an autotune app which will correct any minor mistakes, and I can learn through that way what the correct pitch really was ?
Or try one of those singing apps maybe ?
What would you suggest ?
Ps: recording myself doesn't help. It's the same thing, I'm always doubting if I'm truely hitting the pitch or not.
Thanks.
David

Last edited by Lucifer; 23rd July 2019 at 11:55 AM..
Old 24th July 2019
Lives for gear

Find a vocal coach. They can give you
exercises to train you in singing on pitch.
Old 24th July 2019
Gear Nut

Do you practice arpeggios and scales along with a piano (or a sampled/synth piano) before recording or a gig? Repetitively doing that is probably the fastest way to get your singing in tune, and then eventually expand your range. One thing an auto-tune program will do is allow you to see the notes you're singing on a graphic screen after you've recorded them, to see how far off you are from the pitch you were aiming for, which can also be an extremely useful practice tool.
Old 24th July 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Driscoll View Post
Do you practice arpeggios and scales along with a piano (or a sampled/synth piano) before recording or a gig? Repetitively doing that is probably the fastest way to get your singing in tune, and then eventually expand your range. One thing an auto-tune program will do is allow you to see the notes you're singing on a graphic screen after you've recorded them, to see how far off you are from the pitch you were aiming for, which can also be an extremely useful practice tool.
Thanks, yes I'm doing that lately, practicing using the piano.
Yesterday I also tried a tuner app, to show me in a graphical way how my pitch is.
It's spot on most of the time.
I guess I just don't like the sound of my voice.
I have too much tone (baritone)
Wonder how I can overcome this and become confident in my singing.
Old 24th July 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucifer View Post
Thanks, yes I'm doing that lately, practicing using the piano.
Yesterday I also tried a tuner app, to show me in a graphical way how my pitch is.
It's spot on most of the time.
I guess I just don't like the sound of my voice.
I have too much tone (baritone)
Wonder how I can overcome this and become confident in my singing.
If u post a clip of yourself we can check it out. Practice really helps but if you can't hear if you are wrong or right on a recording, maybe it's not for you. If you can hear where you are wrong on playback but find it difficult while actually singing, that's something that practice helps.
Old 24th July 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moondog007 View Post
If u post a clip of yourself we can check it out. Practice really helps but if you can't hear if you are wrong or right on a recording, maybe it's not for you. If you can hear where you are wrong on playback but find it difficult while actually singing, that's something that practice helps.
Hi moondog, singing if definitely for me but I think I will need a vocal teacher to become confident.
I wonder how and when I will become master of my own voice.. I currently kinda get lost in my own tone. I find it hard to identify when I'm on pitch.
Here a clip of me singing more towards my higher range (not perfect)
https://youtu.be/Pajo2cehF-Q

And here is something sung lower: (I'm sorry the quality really sucks on this recording)
https://youtu.be/bRXassFB9zg

Last edited by Lucifer; 24th July 2019 at 11:15 AM..
Old 24th July 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Hi moondog, singing if definitely for me but I think I will need a vocal teacher to become confident.
I wonder how and when I will become master of my own voice.. I currently kinda get lost in my own tone, especially when singing low.
Here a clip of me singing more towards my higher range (not perfect)
https://youtu.be/Pajo2cehF-Q
Yep you can do it!!! Had a listen. Clearly you have no problem hearing pitch which is good news. More control of your voice will help hugely because the voice is there. If feels to me like you are using brute volume a bit to control your voice rather than effective placement. Your larynx needs to be a 'little' more stable which a singing teacher can help with. The larynx raises a bit much on the higher notes if that makes sense which creates a bit too much of a shouty sound at times with less control. If you work on singing at the same v low volume right through the vocal range as an exercise, it will really help also. It's hard to do. I notice you tend to go a bit sharp on the lower notes. A really common problem. Working on your lower range is something people don't do enough on. I reckon you are probably far more sharp than flat down there. A great vocal coach will help. You have a voice. Great power and range. You just need practice and the right kind of direction. Good luck. It ain't easy but work your arse off and you'll totally be able to do it. Listening back to yourself and diagnosing what you are doing wrong is really important.
Old 24th July 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Yep you can do it!!! Had a listen. Clearly you have no problem hearing pitch which is good news. More control of your voice will help hugely because the voice is there. If feels to me like you are using brute volume a bit to control your voice rather than effective placement. Your larynx needs to be a 'little' more stable which a singing teacher can help with. The larynx raises a bit much on the higher notes if that makes sense which creates a bit too much of a shouty sound at times with less control. If you work on singing at the same v low volume right through the vocal range as an exercise, it will really help also. It's hard to do. I notice you tend to go a bit sharp on the lower notes. A really common problem. Working on your lower range is something people don't do enough on. I reckon you are probably far more sharp than flat down there. A great vocal coach will help. You have a voice. Great power and range. You just need practice and the right kind of direction. Good luck. It ain't easy but work your arse off and you'll totally be able to do it. Listening back to yourself and diagnosing what you are doing wrong is really important.
I also added a video where I sing lower in my previous post..
But yes, there are issues here.
I will also add that I sang heavy rock for many years without any control and blew out my voice countless times with lots of pain.
I just didn't care, unfortunately.
This is still giving me issues up untill today.
But it seems I have no other choice than a good voice teacher.
I've found one, she's really good.. but really expensive too :D
I wish I could figure it out by myself but after 14 years of trying, I guess it's time for a teacher.

Peace
Old 24th July 2019
Lives for gear
ACTUALLY had another listen. Your vocal placement seems pretty good. Your pitch ain't too bad at all on big long notes. Little notes you can loose it. COMPANY, The pan part is flat. The words 'Always on' that types of sliding up to note is less good than just hitting it. 'Now" is sharp. 'Behind' sharp. 'Bad company' Another example of the slide which doesn't work as well. Words like 'behind' "day i die" way way sharp.
Old 24th July 2019
Lives for gear
Had a listen to the low one. yeah I'm back to me original idea of vocal placement. U are pushing too much and using volume inappropriately to get the tone you want. It's also constricted a bit down there. You have not damaged your voice. It does't sound like that remotely. Pay the cash for a good teacher. It's worth it.
Old 24th July 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
ACTUALLY had another listen. Your vocal placement seems pretty good. Your pitch ain't too bad at all on big long notes. Little notes you can loose it. COMPANY, The pan part is flat. The words 'Always on' that types of sliding up to note is less good than just hitting it. 'Now" is sharp. 'Behind' sharp. 'Bad company' Another example of the slide which doesn't work as well. Words like 'behind' "day i die" way way sharp.
Thanks for these details.
That's exactly the problem.
Like I know I'm close to the pitch, but I can't identify the details like you just did.
Old 24th July 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Had a listen to the low one. yeah I'm back to me original idea of vocal placement. U are pushing too much and using volume inappropriately to get the tone you want. It's also constricted a bit down there. You have not damaged your voice. It does't sound like that remotely. Pay the cash for a good teacher. It's worth it.
I think you're spot on with what you're saying. But I don't know how to correct it so yes the teacher will be necessary
Thanks moondog :D
Old 24th July 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
I think you're spot on with what you're saying. But I don't know how to correct it so yes the teacher will be necessary
Thanks moondog :D
good luck
Old 13th September 2019
Gear Maniac

I think you can hit the right pitch when you are trying to - but some of the shorter notes you are not sure what note you want to hit. The trick is to learn the pitch for every note of the song, Just because a passage is sung quickly doesn't mean you can be sloppy in pitch.

Your timing is good (harder than some people think) but if you can't sing a fast passage in tune first figure out exactly what nontes you want on each word, practice it slowly and then speed it up.

In that song there is a primary interval you need, the root and the b7 below it, also the M2 above the root. So, practice singing "E........ F#, E, D, E...... F#, E......
You are almost always going to be using the same pitches throughout the song, so learn all of them, not just the key center. Also find the P5 (the B) and get it in tune, practice all these pitches in tune before you sing the song and it will sound more in tune.

If you are not sure of the pitches figure them out on guitar or piano before you sing the song.
Old 14th September 2019
Gear Addict

Unless you are born with perfect pitch it requires a lot of practice to hear yourself sing off tune. I would get autotune just to work on correcting your recorded vocals. It will train your ears tremendously. Use it as a practice tool to master your instrument then use it as little as possible.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search