The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
SONGLAND (on NBC) what are your personal thoughts on this new TV show?
Old 13th July 2019
Lives for gear

SONGLAND (on NBC) what are your personal thoughts on this new TV show?

This is a decent show for pop songwriting; considering it's on national TV. Are you watching? What are you likes and dislikes about the show?
Old 13th July 2019
Lives for gear

NBC 'Songland' ; If you think it couldn't get any worse ...

Have you read this thread?
Old 14th July 2019
Lives for gear

I’m not watching it. Done with these
competition shows. The Voice, Idol, AGT..
waste of my time, and at my age my
time is not unlimited.
Old 14th July 2019
"Adam Levine’s Songwriter Competition Show Under Fire for Requiring Contestants to Waive All Royalties"

https://www.thewrap.com/adam-levine-...rous-contract/

As in wave bye-bye to your song as your song.
Old 14th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblue1 View Post
"Adam Levine’s Songwriter Competition Show Under Fire for Requiring Contestants to Waive All Royalties"

[url]https://www.thewrap.com/adam-levine-nbc-songwriting-competition-show-songland-under-fire-onerous-contract/[/url

As in wave bye-bye to your song as your song.
That article is from 2016. The show’s producers
revamped the contract and contestants no longer
have to give up ownership of their songs. What
the contract now states is basically that NBC
and the show producers do not have to pay
contestants royalties for use of their songs in
the show or as promotions. It does not say
the songwriters have to give up their share
of writer’s copyright.
Old 14th July 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Polich View Post
That article is from 2016. The show’s producers
revamped the contract and contestants no longer
have to give up ownership of their songs. What
the contract now states is basically that NBC
and the show producers do not have to pay
contestants royalties for use of their songs in
the show or as promotions. It does not say
the songwriters have to give up their share
of writer’s copyright.
Thanks for the update!
Old 15th July 2019
Lives for gear

hey blue... good day... greedy got too greedy... but the credit is always worth something... but I guess they figured it wasn't enough!
Old 15th July 2019
Lives for gear

All of these shows promise great exposure for the contestants... probably is...

It’s laughable to me at its face that artists like Gwen Stefani, Adam Levine, et al sit in judgement of anybody’s vocal chops... but that aside, if it’s about hopefully getting an artist “noticed” why not?

It’s sure better than a sex Tape with Ray J
Old 15th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgood View Post
It’s laughable to me at its face that artists like Gwen Stefani, Adam Levine, et al sit in judgement of anybody’s vocal chops... but that aside, if it’s about hopefully getting an artist “noticed” why not?

It’s sure better than a sex Tape with Ray J
Arguable...at least Stefani and Levine have talents, whereas KUWTK was essentially piggybacked out of that sex tape, and created more fame and fortune with nary a modicum of any sort of recognizable talent.
Old 15th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12tone View Post
Arguable...at least Stefani and Levine have talents, whereas KUWTK was essentially piggybacked out of that sex tape, and created more fame and fortune with nary a modicum of any sort of recognizable talent.
The KK reference deflects from my wider bemusement at said pop stars with talent judging people’s chops... I get that chops ain’t the only important bit..
Old 15th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
... I get that chops ain’t the only important bit..
It's definitely the case with women in the pop music world. With very few exceptions, being attractive or telegenic is practically a requirement, whereas on the other side the Ed Sheerans of the world can proliferate.
Old 15th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
It’s laughable to me at its face that artists like Gwen Stefani, Adam Levine, et al sit in judgement of anybody’s vocal chops
well, you just sat in judgement of their vocal chops

let us hear your vocal chops
Old 15th July 2019
Quote:
It's definitely the case with women in the pop music world. With very few exceptions, being attractive or telegenic is practically a requirement, whereas on the other side the Ed Sheerans of the world can proliferate.
Let's not forget the meteoric descent of Christopher Cross's romantic ballad career when photos of the chunky-guy-next-door singer got out.

It just depends on the market.

There have long been ugly men in rock -- but not too many singing romantic ballads for the dreamy, stare-at-the-screen market.
Old 15th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave.R View Post
well, you just sat in judgement of their vocal chops

Ok
Old 15th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblue1 View Post
Let's not forget the meteoric descent of Christopher Cross's romantic ballad career when photos of the chunky-guy-next-door singer got out.

It just depends on the market.

There have long been ugly men in rock -- but not too many singing romantic ballads for the dreamy, stare-at-the-screen market.
For sure men can be objectified, especially within certain realms as you point out. However, it's clear that for women it happens across the board, systemically institutionalized, through all strata of society, media, and institutions. There's really no comparison.

Recently reading a lot of the social commentary about Megan Rapinoe, I was bemused by all the troll comments about her appearance, made by misogynistic, homophobic straight men about a self admitted lesbian. While the political commentary about both of them were similar, there wasn't much said about Colin Kapernick's appearance (though if he were obese, I'm sure he would have been fat shamed).
Old 15th July 2019
Lives for gear

These all seem menial to the polarization of either nation lovers or globalists. Mere bag of shells and (insignificant) distractions to what is really going on.
Old 22nd July 2019
Gear Maniac

I like the show if only for a peek into how they re-interpret a fully-realized song. I wish they spent the 10-minutes wasted on the opening recap to show more of the song tweaking process.
Old 22nd July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCProject View Post
I like the show if only for a peek into how they re-interpret a fully-realized song. I wish they spent the 10-minutes wasted on the opening recap to show more of the song tweaking process.
I agree. I think they sell the audience short. It would be so much more appealing/worthwile if they showed us exactly how they tweaked the songs. I am much more interested on how the original song was 1st composed - and what/how (hands on in the studio) the critical changes were engineered. I have not ran across a good back scenes pod or YT show yet. HINT HINT they are missing a big loyal market!
Old 22nd July 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
bgood not only has vocal chops, he's got chops across the board. He can do it all, heh,...except saxophone.
Old 22nd July 2019
Lives for gear

I will slip this backstage TV show in heret Chicago-Al Green-Dick Clark-(Phil Ramone?) in the Rocky Mountains... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B98v...4iwj0RXOGwzws:) better minutes than Songland.
Old 23rd July 2019
Lives for gear

Finally got to watch one episode my wife
recorded for me.

Ok, so it seems “contestants” all have to
be under 30, good looking, and have to
be good singers in their own right. Like
the contestants on all the other
competition shows.

The songs presented are good but not
great. Like 98% of what’s on commercial
radio. Catchy, serviceable, well recorded
and produced. And generic.

I don’t need to watch another episode.
Old 23rd July 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by s wave View Post
I agree. I think they sell the audience short. It would be so much more appealing/worthwile if they showed us exactly how they tweaked the songs. I am much more interested on how the original song was 1st composed - and what/how (hands on in the studio) the critical changes were engineered. I have not ran across a good back scenes pod or YT show yet. HINT HINT they are missing a big loyal market!
W0RD! If anyone can share decent music-production and/or songwriting podcasts please post them here.

I currently half-listen to Pro Tools Expert (now Production Expert) and Switched on Pop (I skip half the eps). Neither of these shows really do it for me.
Old 4th September 2019
Gear Maniac

I watched Songland at the urging of one of my session drummers (he loves these music shows like Idol, the Voice etc etc). I saw the one with Old Dominion and enjoyed it for the most part. Four singer/songwriters were vying for one spot to be included on a Old Dominion record that would also be in a "Jeep" commercial.

All the contestants were very good, good performers as well as songwriters. They chose 3 of the 4 to work with. I personally thought the one they didn't choose had the best pop song, but OD said they couldn't see themselves doing it, oh well. Then the producers went to work with the writers to revamp the songs for appropriateness. All the songs were better afterwards, but whether they were "Jeep" material I can't say...

Again when all was said and done I thought they picked the weakest song, however OD is all a bunch of 30 yr old guys and the writer they picked was a very gorgeous 22 yr old babe. Go figure.

All in all it's a pretty good premise and a pretty good show. At least - I didn't hate it!
Old 5th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwillms View Post
I watched Songland at the urging of one of my session drummers (he loves these music shows like Idol, the Voice etc etc). I saw the one with Old Dominion and enjoyed it for the most part. Four singer/songwriters were vying for one spot to be included on a Old Dominion record that would also be in a "Jeep" commercial.

All the contestants were very good, good performers as well as songwriters. They chose 3 of the 4 to work with. I personally thought the one they didn't choose had the best pop song, but OD said they couldn't see themselves doing it, oh well. Then the producers went to work with the writers to revamp the songs for appropriateness. All the songs were better afterwards, but whether they were "Jeep" material I can't say...

Again when all was said and done I thought they picked the weakest song, however OD is all a bunch of 30 yr old guys and the writer they picked was a very gorgeous 22 yr old babe. Go figure.

All in all it's a pretty good premise and a pretty good show. At least - I didn't hate it!
Yes I am on the fence it is a show I do not hate too. It is easy to see why so many blockbuster hits were the song on the bubble to get cut from a movie (Somewhere over the Rainbow) or album (Livin' on a Prayer, More Today than Yesterday) or band (A world without Love) .. just imagine all the songs that are on the dusty shelves...RLOL.
Old 5th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCProject View Post
W0RD! If anyone can share decent music-production and/or songwriting podcasts please post them here.

I currently half-listen to Pro Tools Expert (now Production Expert) and Switched on Pop (I skip half the eps). Neither of these shows really do it for me.
@ BCProject try

Thru The DAW by u/thruthedaw at Reddit
Internet Instrumentalists by u/lilfertilizer at Reddit
Beat School by u/KiaOrion at Reddit
Bedroom Beethovens by u/Neon_Biscuit at Reddit
Making Records by u/bunchofbollucks at Reddit
Twenty Thousand Hertz by u/dfcto at Reddit
Old 5th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
For sure men can be objectified, especially within certain realms as you point out. However, it's clear that for women it happens across the board, systemically institutionalized, through all strata of society, media, and institutions. There's really no comparison.

Recently reading a lot of the social commentary about Megan Rapinoe, I was bemused by all the troll comments about her appearance, made by misogynistic, homophobic straight men about a self admitted lesbian. While the political commentary about both of them were similar, there wasn't much said about Colin Kapernick's appearance (though if he were obese, I'm sure he would have been fat shamed).
Men are objectified too, all across the board. Men are valued by women nearly entirely by what they can provide for them. These phenomena are not "systemic" except in the sense that they are the natural fundamentals of biology and sexual selection in action. Nothing wrong with any of it per se. Without it none of us would be here.
Old 6th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by creegstor View Post
Men are objectified too, all across the board. Men are valued by women nearly entirely by what they can provide for them. These phenomena are not "systemic" except in the sense that they are the natural fundamentals of biology and sexual selection in action. Nothing wrong with any of it per se. Without it none of us would be here.
Yes. But his premise is also off.

Gaga, Adele, Lorde, Sia, Pink, Billie Elish, Megan Trainor, Ellie Goulding, Lizzo (off the top of my head thinking of current female pop stars). . . all sit about where Ed Sheeran sits on that scale.

The music world is wide open to female singers, what you need is style and an image people buy into, you don't need to be hot. Even of the "hot" female singers, none could be a model. They can get endorsement gigs off their music status, but if they were a random girl going to modeling auditions no chance.
Old 6th September 2019
Lives for gear

Humans are sexual beings, no doubt, and there's objectification of both men and women.

However, to not realize in this patriarchal world which way the pendulum swings as far as which gender is more so...well, it's like you've got blinders on.
Old 6th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Humans are sexual beings, no doubt, and there's objectification of both men and women.

However, to not realize in this patriarchal world which way the pendulum swings as far as which gender is more so...well, it's like you've got blinders on.
Quite the opposite. The blinders are off.
Old 6th September 2019
Lives for gear

French blinkers

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search