The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Structure of songs
Old 9th July 2019
Here for the gear
Structure of songs

Hey guys been ten years since i was writing and im back say a week and im after noticing that the structure I used doesn't seem to be the norm anymore which was verse , chorus, verse, chorus, bridge, chorus. and the verses could be three of them tell the story and the chorus rounds it off but now after examining some lyrics in the last few days its seems to be 4 line short verse 4 line pre chorus, chorus 2nd small verse pre chorus as the same as before and , chorus bridge and chorus. anybody spot this or have I gone mad altogether ??
Old 11th July 2019
Lives for gear

go way back to schubert, what was the form?

song form is in flux

just write your song and let it be
Old 14th July 2019
Lives for gear

I think you're right about the "pre-chorus" - that's become much more a feature of contemporary pop than it was in the 80s, though it's not a recent invention. Off the top of my head, I asked myself "did Abba do this", and plucked their 1974 breakthrough "Waterloo" out of my memory banks. And, guess what: it has a pre-chorus. The Swedes were still doing it 20-odd years later with Britney Spears "Baby One More Time". But I'd hazard that it is more prevalent today - that a pre-chorus is kind of the norm.

One thing is absolutely certain: introductions are shorter. Gone are the days of 8 bar intros; today 4 bars is a full-length intro, and a lot of them are 2 bars, or even straight in. At the end of his long Polar award interview, Max Martin was asked what had changed the most since he started out in the business. He thought about it for maybe a second, and said "well, the intros have got a lot shorter". And it's true: they have. One trend that I'm glad to see the back of compared to late 20th century pop: the fade out. That really does feel like a thing of the past. Songs have a (short) beginning, and they also have a real end.
Old 24th July 2019
Gear Nut

I read somewhere there is a shorter attention span by way of the listener, and more competition. So people shoot for a song that intrigues you within 15 seconds. Otherwise people click on something else. Hence shorter intros.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search