The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Which App for Writing Lyrics??
Old 26th June 2019
Gear Maniac

Which App for Writing Lyrics??

Hi there,

I'm from Germany and I'll write Lyrics most in german language. I'm not the typicall by Hand-Guy to write just with Pen & Paper because my Scripture is really ugly and sometimes I can't read it by myself.

I'd like to know which Programms are you using for writing Lyrics on a Computer? I'm on MacOS and if I'm on the go I'd like to use just the Note from IOS on my iphone just for capturing Ideas.

But if my Macbook is available I prefer to write by tipping with 10 Fingers more than touching a small screen. I used Word for this but I'm looking for good or better alternatives.

What are you guys using for writing Lyrics electronical?
Old 26th June 2019
Believe it or not, after using various word processors and note pad editors for decades, what I'm doing now is writing directly into a (private) online blog. That way the song is available from anywhere I have Internet access, I can readily pull it up on my phone or tablet or desktop. Chrome's spell-check covers me on that front. A typical blog (I use Wordpress) isn't normally nearly as flexible as a word processor for things like fancy formatting but since I'm quite familiar with Wordpress and its plugin architecture, I've been able to customize it in various ways that work out for me (like cross links to and searches of my public-facing song blog from my private writer's blog to make it easy to find recordings of or posts about a given song).

It's probably not a solution for everyone, but it's been very useful for me.
Old 28th June 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by boombapdame View Post
I think Zoho Writer is only for using online all the time right? The other apps are only for mobile devices
Old 28th June 2019
Lives for gear

Zoho Writer @ R&B-Vocalisto has a mobile option at https://www.zoho.com/writer/mobile-app.html
Old 29th June 2019
Here for the gear
For writing lyrics on my Ipad, I've found that the Songwriter Pad app from https://songwriterspad.com/ has helped me organize and fine tune my lyrics. They do have desktop versions that I haven't tried. Best of Luck on your lyric writing.

Cheers,

RKG
Old 29th June 2019
Gear Nut

Ill second songwriter pad. You can sync it to your desktop also.
Old 3rd July 2019
Gear Addict

TuneSmith is the most feature rich tool for lyrics writing -
http://rhymegenie.com/tunesmith.html

Songwriter's Pad is OK if you are just starting out but the rhyming capabilities are not the greatest and synching can be buggy...check out the reviews.
Old 4th July 2019
Gear Addict

Might be worth adding that the Mac/PC version of Songwriters' Pad hasn't been updated since 2014.
TuneSmith was updated a couple month ago.

Old 16th August 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by boombapdame View Post
Hi! That's me! Thanks for sharing, boombapdame! If anyone gives it a try and have any questions or problems, let me know! :-)
Old 21st August 2019
Here for the gear

Actually I am newbie in song writing. I try to write some lyrics but it was bad, so I need to improve my writing skills in general. Plus my English proficiency not enough for writing lyrics and hard essay project so I use help of essay writing service
Old 23rd August 2019
Here for the gear

I would suggest Standard notes : https://standardnotes.org/

Even the free version is amazing, sync on all devices, and pretty " safe and private" !
Old 24th August 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by samui View Post
Actually I am newbie in song writing. I try to write some lyrics but it was bad, so I need to improve my writing skills in general. Plus my English proficiency not enough for writing lyrics hard essay project.
B.S dude..Excuses! Cut that crap out.

Get a theme (Something you want to write about) Give yourself 10 minutes to come up with one.

Get a working title, based on your theme. 5 minutes

Start singing hooks using the working title. Make the melody/tempo/ect theme-appropriate...10 minutes.

"Freestyle" some verses that sound good coming in and out of the chorus, you don't need full lyrics, but try to use real words, get a cadence and melodic motif for your verse. 10 minutes.

Now, brainstorm and write about your theme, associated words, words that rhyme with keywords, stream of consciousness, narrative, whatever...just don't THINK and don't let your pen stop moving (Yes pen, F^%k that app B.S...write like a MAN!) 10 minuets.

Now, take your verse cadence/melodic structure and your brainstorm writing, and FILL IN THE VERSES...Don't overthink it, DO IT. 10 minutes.

Now, whatever your theme is, think about shifting to its opposite. If you are signing angry, modulating to being "thoughtful" about the theme. Sign a "Scratch" with that in mind. Make the music match the story you are telling. Then do a little more brainstorming if necessary and FILL IN THE BLANKS. 15 minutes (This is the bridge)

AAAAND....You've just written a song, not words, not music A SONG, in ONE HOUR!

Does it suck? Yes? GREAT!! Do it AGAIN!!!

This is how you go from a guy on a forum asking for apps to help you do something you are avoiding, to being the guy WHO DOES IT.

Your move.
Old 25th August 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straw View Post
[..]Even the free version is amazing, sync on all devices, and pretty " safe and private" !
I usually don’t get too amazed about being able to store my songs on someone else’s hard drive (a.k.a the cloud).

As for synching on all devices - all I need is a synch connection between my writing app and my brain.
Old 26th August 2019
Here for the gear

@ J.Good : They're encrypted on the cloud anyway.
Old 6th September 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straw View Post
@ J.Good : They're encrypted on the cloud anyway.
My point is that cloud software with a monthly fee for premium features is just not that attractive for songwriting.

You never know how long the company will be around - out of business - no more servers - no more access to songs.
Synching issues - they even happen with iCloud despite an army of developers.
No access to songs without internet access - touring internationally much?
Lack of specific features for songwriters - song sheets, chord charts, revision tracking, rhyme clipboards, song pitch tracking.

I run TuneSmith from an external USB drive that I can plug into any computer. When done I take it with me on my key chain while having an automatic backup on every computer. 100% synched at all times without servers and monthly fees - on an encrypted USB drive.
Old 6th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by R&B-Vocalisto View Post
Hi there,

I'm from Germany and I'll write Lyrics most in german language. I'm not the typicall by Hand-Guy to write just with Pen & Paper because my Scripture is really ugly and sometimes I can't read it by myself.

I'd like to know which Programms are you using for writing Lyrics on a Computer? I'm on MacOS and if I'm on the go I'd like to use just the Note from IOS on my iphone just for capturing Ideas.

But if my Macbook is available I prefer to write by tipping with 10 Fingers more than touching a small screen. I used Word for this but I'm looking for good or better alternatives.

What are you guys using for writing Lyrics electronical?
Over the years I’ve gone from handwriting, typewriter, word processor... then computers... used a lot of purpose made songwriting stuff but always ended up back to using word or now I use google docs... so google docs and a good rhyme website... I use rhymezone mostly
Old 6th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Good View Post
My point is that cloud software with a monthly fee for premium features is just not that attractive for songwriting.

You never know how long the company will be around - out of business - no more servers - no more access to songs.
Synching issues - they even happen with iCloud despite an army of developers.
No access to songs without internet access - touring internationally much?
Lack of specific features for songwriters - song sheets, chord charts, revision tracking, rhyme clipboards, song pitch tracking.

I run TuneSmith from an external USB drive that I can plug into any computer. When done I take it with me on my key chain while having an automatic backup on every computer. 100% synched at all times without servers and monthly fees - on an encrypted USB drive.
This is why I dig google docs! I can take it with me and use it on my laptop, desktop, iPad, iPhone... and no dongles

I’d never get too worried about military grade encryption for songwriting... that’s what copyright is for... and it’s not like we’re talking about somebody’s medical records, criminal histories, corporate secrets... for those who disagree, I suggest that you take yourself entirely too seriously

good rule of thumb is to never use a cloud if your world would collapse if the Russians got ahold of your data.

Besides... why make it complicated??
Old 6th September 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgood View Post
This is why I dig google docs! I can take it with me and use it on my laptop, desktop, iPad, iPhone... and no dongles
Besides... why make it complicated??
Nothing wrong with Google docs but they have as much songwriting features as Microsoft Word.

... and my off the shelf USB drive almost takes offense to being called a dongle rather than a good old reliable storage medium for all kind of goodies To call it a dongle is equivalent to calling a Cromebooks a huge dongle for Google software

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search