The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
How to not get stuck in loops and arrange and finish songs quickly?
Old 23rd June 2019
Gear Head

How to not get stuck in loops and arrange and finish songs quickly?

Hello,

I tend to come up quickly with chords, harmonies and melodies for songs but rarely finish them. I get stuck half-way in and sometimes at the breakdown at 1 min 30 seconds or so. I do electronic music but with a length of 3 -4 min.

I usually start a song with a chord and build it from there. Add top melody, pads, bass.

But I get stuck in around 1 min 30 sec.

How can I finish songs faster? Any template to follow? I need to lay out the arrangement roughly.

Any tips on how to turn melodies, loops and song ideas into songs and proper arrangements without getting stuck with them for months?

Any good song arrangement tutorials or arrangement templates for Logic?
Old 24th June 2019
Bring multiple ideas/vibes together in the same work. Bridges, breakdowns, refrains. Sometimes the way to the future is through past virtues... popular music of the past fell into such patterns because they're often satisfying. You just need to let those ideas for organization inform your contemporary musings, maybe. With modern electronic music composition/production tools it can be easy to paint yourself into an aesthetic corner. Sometimes you just have to recognize that and make a jump...
Old 24th June 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by toka View Post
Hello,

I tend to come up quickly with chords, harmonies and melodies for songs but rarely finish them. I get stuck half-way in and sometimes at the breakdown at 1 min 30 seconds or so. I do electronic music but with a length of 3 -4 min.

I usually start a song with a chord and build it from there. Add top melody, pads, bass.

How can I finish songs faster? Any template to follow? I need to lay out the arrangement roughly.

Any tips on how to turn melodies, loops and song ideas into songs and proper arrangements without getting stuck with them for months?

Hello toka
I can appreciate your question but would ask why you need to rush to finish. What would that accomplish?
Old 26th June 2019
Here for the gear

Create a template with a structure that you like and follow that , That's what work for me , I think structure is the most difficult part of making music , analize some songs that you like and create 2 or 3 templates to start songs
Old 5th July 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Hello,

Arranging electronic music is tougher than most people think, actually. While pop music follows a particular pattern of ABA or verse chorus verse, electronic music revolves around a relatively small amount of material (what would consist of a single section in most music), and there are no concrete rules on how to turn this material into a finished song. In most cases, song forms in electronic music are created through layering - the careful addition and subtraction of material.

My suggestion is to copy and paste that loop for a 129 bars (the final song doesn't have to be that long, of course) and start subtracting/deleting material from there. The thing with electronic music is that the arrangements vary greatly from genre to genre. If you are making a more mainstream EDM type of music, then there are a ton of tutorials out there that you can follow on EDM song structure. Other types of electronic music are less clear. The only way to learn in this case is to take a reference track and drop into your DAW and study it.
Old 2nd September 2019
Gear Head
one small addition to this, though not necessarily a solution.
i was having this problem recently, as i have many times over the years. comes and goes. i make house/techno/broken beat fwiw.
i've found that working early mornings helps with this, or any of the more "tedious" facets of making tracks. this includes intricate hi-hat programming or tricky drum edits, intros and outros that aren't formulaic, and breaking out of the 64 bar loop as well.
just something about that morning state of mind.

but yeah as it's been said, track it out longer (5-6 mins or so), start with basic intros and outros of adding/subtracting elements respectively, get it into something playable then let it simmer. dance around the room to it, play it at night, in the morning, during commute... you'll quickly see what sticks out or is missing, and inspiration may hit at the oddest of times.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

“Writing” electronic music based on loops
and arpeggios isn’t really songwriting.
It’s the equivalent of someone else
dumping a jigsaw puzzle on the floor,
turning over all the pieces so to you they
all look the same, and you randomly
picking up pieces to turn them over
and see if they might inspire you, without
knowing if they fit or what picture they
originally were part of.

You need a song structure first. It should
be written on a single instrument like
a piano. Select a basic looping beat on
your DAW, set it to loop indefinitely.
Then play your piano part over that until
you have a basic song structure (intro, verse,
chorus, verse, chorus, bridge, verse, chorus
chorus chorus, end) that you like.
THEN sing a melody over that, and use
a synth lead sound to lay down the melody.
THEN start really building (or more
accurately, re-building) the track using
loops, arpeggios, and synth sounds to
flesh it out and make it interesting.

Without a song structure to guide you
first, you will always be taking “forever”
to finish a song, because u have no
idea of where you’re going or what your
destination is.

Last edited by Dave Polich; 4 weeks ago at 07:35 PM..
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Hello,

Easy solution: let me co-write with you and finish your ideas!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Polich View Post
“Writing” electronic music based on loops
and arpeggios isn’t really songwriting.
It’s the equivalent of someone else
dumping a jigsaw puzzle on the floor,
turning over all the pieces so to you they
all look the same, and you randomly
picking up pieces to turn them over
and see if they might inspire you, without
knowing if they fit or what picture they
originally were part of.

You need a song structure first. It should
be written on a single instrument like
a piano.
This is true as far as random loops with no vision, but there are plenty of electronic music arrangements to go off of, if that's your preferred approach. The single instrument thing may not help much if that's the approach, in that case you want to work towards reference tracks until you have a grasp on unearthing a complete vision yourself.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblue1 View Post
Bring multiple ideas/vibes together in the same work. Bridges, breakdowns, refrains. Sometimes the way to the future is through past virtues... popular music of the past fell into such patterns because they're often satisfying. You just need to let those ideas for organization inform your contemporary musings, maybe. With modern electronic music composition/production tools it can be easy to paint yourself into an aesthetic corner. Sometimes you just have to recognize that and make a jump...

I love the idea of bringing together multiple ideas. Also, try to sit down and write a song in one sitting. It might not be your best work, and you don't have to do that all the time, but it can be a good exercise in finishing.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search