The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Anyone else wrestle with the "everything works" syndrome
Old 22nd April 2019
Lives for gear

Anyone else wrestle with the "everything works" syndrome

Sorry not sure what else to call it or how to describe it.....basically it's when you hear a turn of a phrase or something someone says or whatever and you get into a bad habit of taking any such thing you hear that sounds even remotely possibly usable in a song as "good" and you are determined to use it? It's almost like a bipolar disorder thing where rampant optimism takes over. I've had my share of moments like this, wrote things down, came back to it later........and (hopefully) realized "what the hell was I thinking." It can be a good exercise to get into just to corral ideas and separate the wheat from the chaff, but you have to have a good eye to see it aint all wheat.
Old 22nd April 2019
Lives for gear

I've been through a phase like that, twice in my life; each time different than the other.

In my early years, when everything was new to me and not really having a personal reference of what is really good, I went through the first of such phase.
But, it didn't bother me as, like I said, I didn't know better.

The second time it was years later and different in the sense that I by then had developed the skill to "make almost anything work".
I can understand that this sounds weird, since one might say; if it works, it works....., but that it works, doesn't necessarily make it good.
This phase was more frustrating to me, because now I was aware of it and it was my apparent lack of "good taste" that was a problem.

Luckily, those were passing phases and eventually I got to a place where I can tap into the enthousiasism like a child hearing something for the first time, so I can let my imagination run free unlimited, but at the same time knowing what ideas are worthwile to persue, and beside that, knowing that sometimes it's just a matter of choice/preference, because different things can all be good.

It's like allowing yourself to daydream (about being a superhero, or something), without losing touch with reality.
If you'd write a song when you're horny, it will definitely feel different to you when you hear/read it back when sober.
The trick is to build a brigde/link between the fantasy world and reality; not just for yourself, but also for your listeners.
Like the rabbit hole Dorothy went through to end up in that fantasy in The wizzard of Oz; without that simple link to reality, it would be a weird unappealing story.

Juggling with ones thoughts like this between fantasy and reality, does indeed have something schizophrenic about it, but unless you're writing documentaries or (auto)biographies, that's the job.

Old 22nd April 2019
Lives for gear

I find a persona helps for creativity. My personal interests are quite broad, making creative options too vast much of the time. Zooming in on a much more opinionated persona helps when creating, eliminating options is a huge part of landing on a congruent and effective set of ideas. If your persona says "that line isn't it for me" then that's that, no more time wasted.
Old 23rd April 2019
One thing I think that can happen, wherever a not-quite-ready/doesn't-quite-fit idea comes from, is that that fragment suggests something to your subconscious, hinting that there's some kind of 'buried treasure' beneath its current, imperfect expression (or context).

I sometimes have songs sit around months, years, in a few cases, decades -- because it took me that long to puzzle out a 'conclusion' or linchpin concept (or whatever) that finally ties it all together.

(In fact, that's one reason why I forced myself to set up a virtual canon of my works as they currently exist -- because I had a nasty habit in the old days of scribbling revisions on whatever copy I had in hand... in the very old days, working in handwritten spiral binders, it was a relatively manageable process. But once I started typing my lyrics into computer files, the possibility of spitting out lyric sheets as needed eventually led to multiple revision versions spread around, sometimes getting lost. Nowadays, revisions go straight into a more or less private blog, one location, one official version per song -- and a good built-in archival mechanism!)
Old 25th April 2019
Gear Maniac

I don't think it's a bad thing. One way to quickly tell if an idea is a good one is to write a quick narrative around it. (Not a song. It doesn't have to rhyme, etc., etc.) Just take 5 or 10 minutes and jot down a free flow of ideas, or write a little story around it. If a lot of good ideas are generated from the theme, then you know you've got a good one. If not, it's probably not worth pursuing.

I actually do this every morning. I look up a popular song's lyrics and write my own narrative and interpretation of it. Usually what I write is very different from the original song. It's sometime's surprising what themes generate an abundance of good ideas and which ones don't.

Another nice thing about writing a narrative is it can start the framework of a song.

On a side note, I've noticed that trying to write a song from a "turn of a phrase" or a "catchy phrase" can be quite hard. At least for me it is. I often find myself boxed in trying to make things fit. YMMV.
Old 25th April 2019
Lives for gear

I find that often a line or two... or a phrase will pop in my head... I’ll jot it down or record it in my phone immediately to catch it before I start mangling it and forget it... then when I sit down to write I’ll go through those notes and see what fuels the mind engine
Old 28th May 2019
Gear Maniac

Some ideas need to be abandoned!!!

Just this morning watching the news they played a bumper music song that literally made me gag.

"Go go, go big or go home, go go, go big or go home."

Oh my God! What an odious piece of crap. Someone thought it was clever and a good idea to record it.

Taking a cultural euphemism and making it a song is dicey at best...

Hey, I just had an idea!

"Gag, gag, gag me with a spoon. Gag, gag, gag me until June" It's gonna be a big hit!
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwillms View Post

Just this morning watching the news they played a bumper music song that literally made me gag.

Oh my God! What an odious piece of crap. Someone thought it was clever and a good idea to record it.

Taking a cultural euphemism and making it a song is dicey at best...

Hey, I just had an idea!

"Gag, gag, gag me with a spoon. Gag, gag, gag me until June" It's gonna be a big hit!
But this has great potential!

The "Go go go Big" .... this works, its fun it has energy.

Go go go Big
Make a stand
Hand in hand.

Blah blah blah ....

I hear a Gabriel type funky beat, great bass, big soul vocal .... I can hear it in my head now.

The point is, an idea needs to be developed.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehightenor View Post
But this has great potential!

The "Go go go Big" .... this works, its fun it has energy.

Go go go Big
Make a stand
Hand in hand.

Blah blah blah ....

I hear a Gabriel type funky beat, great bass, big soul vocal .... I can hear it in my head now.

The point is, an idea needs to be developed.
You've missed something here (or I have). This song already exists! It's terrible and completely unnecessary!!! But maybe you'd like it???
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
You've missed something here (or I have). This song already exists! It's terrible and completely unnecessary!!! But maybe you'd like it???
One man’s “unnecessary” is another man’s six figure paycheck.

The song is big and being used commercially for the exact reasons @ thehightenor pointed out before he knew it had already been done: it’s fun and has energy. Artists can forget about the power of simple fun sometimes.

Edit: I agree that direct idioms like that aren’t the most creative when it comes to lyrics, but at the same time i don’t see why every idiom in the English language doesn’t deserve to have a tune written around it. They’ll all be useful at some point or another.

Last edited by newguy1; 3 weeks ago at 07:56 PM..
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy1 View Post

The song is big and being used commercially for the exact reasons @ thehightenor pointed out before he knew it had already been done: it’s fun and has energy. Artists can forget about the power of simple fun sometimes.

Edit: I agree that direct idioms like that aren’t the most creative when it comes to lyrics, but at the same time i don’t see why every idiom in the English language doesn’t deserve to have a tune written around it. They’ll all be useful at some point or another.
Fair enough, one need only consider Billy Ray Cyrus' Achy Breaky Heart. Don't get me wrong I don't dislike pop music whatsoever, but this particular one, Go Big or Go Home absolutely rubbed me wrong instantaneously. It happens.

Cheers.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy1 View Post

How funny - I had no idea it's an actual song - I thought it was the posters own lyric idea - I totally miss-read the post.

I read this

Quote:
.... and some how missed this

Quote:
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehightenor View Post
How funny - I had no idea it's an actual song - I thought it was the posters own lyric idea - I totally miss-read the post.

I read this

.... and some how missed this
Hey no worries. Heard it again this morning on the morning news bumping out to a commercial. I must say it was catchy and full of energy. I still hated it, but the previous commenters have a point.

I think my next song is going to be titled "Wait? What?" Yeah that's it, it'll be huge!
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hey no worries. Heard it again this morning on the morning news bumping out to a commercial. I must say it was catchy and full of energy. I still hated it, but the previous commenters have a point.

I think my next song is going to be titled "Wait? What?" Yeah that's it, it'll be huge!
If you smash that idea and release in a way where it gets moderately noticed (100k+ plays on Spotify, where it comes up towards the top when you search the title), its likely to be least in the running for a sync within a few years. (Although Lil Jon kinda cornered the "what" market, he's gotten a ridiculous number of sync's saying "what? ok!" So this one's been done. But ideas along these lines actually work.)

I had an 8 year old track get sync'd last year for well into six figures because its hook contained the words of a new slogan for a major brand, and the beat was simple and catchy, and thus good for voiceover. The ad agency found it by searching their slogan on Spotify. I sent the ad agency the general stems, and they mostly used the drums, cutting in the music here and there, and used the vocal hook tag at the end. Paid for my year.

I like to get deep and emotive and have plenty of songs that'll never be sync'd in a million years outside a movie which is a super long shot (when someone says "that track would be great for a movie" you know its not gonna make any money lol), but its fun to have fun too. Fun makes money while being. . fun. Win/win.

I find group sessions are better for making fun records. Its not all about "YOU," you can collectively agree on what you're after, and the final product is a reflection of the group goal, rather than you personally speaking deeply from the heart.

Last edited by newguy1; 3 weeks ago at 08:41 PM..

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search