The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Chords, your favourite?
Old 28th March 2019
Lives for gear

Chords, your favourite?

Hi all,

I just wondered if anyone else on GS likes writing chords, harmony etc.

As it’s come to my attention that very few people in the “Electronic Music” part of GS give a t*ss about chords. Some of them even use plugins to write the chords for them, and heralded me as an extremist for suggesting that such software is lazy and not actually very creative. It’s gotten very ugly in fact.

So hit me up with your favourite chord sequences, your approach to chords, and lets hopefully share some nice conversations.

XB
Old 28th March 2019
Lives for gear

A to E#minor always does it for me
Old 1st April 2019
Lives for gear
try this one

Left hand

G - G

Right hand

F -A -Bb - D

Yummy

Follow with

Left Hand

D - D

Right hand

F# - A# - C - F

Double yummy - instant Donald Fagen.

There's 1000's of gorgeous progressions, substitutions, modulations, poly chords, parallel majors, minors and modes - harmony is an amazing process of setting little musical puzzles and solving them.

My favourite area of harmony to venture into (occasionally at least) is when the chords only work once the melody is present,
in this case the melody is the golden thread that ties together otherwise dissonant harmony.

Study, study, study - the possibilities are endless.
Old 1st April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehightenor View Post
try this one

Left hand

G - G

Right hand

F -A -Bb - D

Yummy

Follow with

Left Hand

D - D

Right hand

F# - A# - C - F

Double yummy - instant Donald Fagen.

There's 1000's of gorgeous progressions, substitutions, modulations, poly chords, parallel majors, minors and modes - harmony is an amazing process of setting little musical puzzles and solving them.

My favourite area of harmony to venture into (occasionally at least) is when the chords only work once the melody is present,
in this case the melody is the golden thread that ties together otherwise dissonant harmony.

Study, study, study - the possibilities are endless.
I’ll try those out later, if they sound like I imagine they will, then in for a treat.

I guess in the first example, you could keep the F and do Aaug and slide own to the E a moment later.

I agree what you say about musical puzzles. Most of my recent work has involved stitching together sections in different keys, weaving in and out (so they suit my vocal range) and have a sense of progression.

I have examples if you’d like to take a gander:

This one especially goes all over the place in the bridge:

Thanks for the suggestions again.

Last edited by xanderbeanz; 1st April 2019 at 03:25 PM..
Old 1st April 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by xanderbeanz View Post

I guess in the first example, you could keep the F and do Aaug and slide own to the E a moment later.
You can at any point go anywhere . - that's the fun.

I think of it as a grand house called,

"Harmony Hall" it has a dozen's of primary rooms and hundreds of secret passages connecting them all together.

But hey sometimes I like to say "restriction creates friction" so sometimes I'll restrict myself to only a few chords - it makes you go search elsewhere for the magic.

Music still fascinates me after 40+ years of playing instruments!
Old 1st April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
You can at any point go anywhere . - that's the fun.

I think of it as a grand house called,

"Harmony Hall" it has a dozen's of primary rooms and hundreds of secret passages connecting them all together.

But hey sometimes I like to say "restriction creates friction" so sometimes I'll restrict myself to only a few chords - it makes you go search elsewhere for the magic.

Music still fascinates me after 40+ years of playing instruments!
I love that image, a big grand hall of secret passageways.

PS, one of my links was incorrectly formatted so now it should work.
Old 1st April 2019
Lives for gear
I like your music, I can hear a "Queen" influence.
Old 2nd April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
I like your music, I can hear a "Queen" influence.
Yeah I still think you needed a record deal like 6 years ago.

How long does it take you to make a track like Litost 1?
Old 2nd April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy1 View Post
Yeah I still think you needed a record deal like 6 years ago.

How long does it take you to make a track like Litost 1?
Couple of weeks of pre-production, get the band in, do the vocals. About a month?
Old 2nd April 2019
Lives for gear

Nice, that's what it sounds like. Huge thanks for not saying 2 days
Old 3rd April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by xanderbeanz View Post
nice work!
Old 3rd April 2019
Lives for gear

Currently I am quite partial to E Minor to C Major, as is the opening chords for The Cranberries 'Zombie'. Substituting the E Minor for E Major also sounds very cool.

I am always partial to minor 7 chords
Old 3rd April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevron View Post
Currently I am quite partial to E Minor to C Major, as is the opening chords for The Cranberries 'Zombie'. Substituting the E Minor for E Major also sounds very cool.

I am always partial to minor 7 chords
I like Emajor to C, the relationship is a spicy one, as the chords only have one not in common, the E, which is called a mediant.

A good example of this chord relationship is in the song Blackfield, by the band Blackfield, from the album Blackfield.

My favourite mediant chord relationship is E minor (E G B) to Cm/Eb (Eb G and C), playing off that G. It’s very ungrounding with a sense of wonder. I first heard it many years ago in the X files, and it was all over the soundtrack for “The Ring”. I used it on a track called Boxes on my first album.

Minor 7ths are great as there’s plenty of ways to go, you could bring it down to a Minor 6th (E G B C#) it’s funk time! Up to a Minor 9th (E G B D F#) is also great and many other possible directions.
Old 6th April 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutilatedlip View Post
My favourite chord sequence is:

L A M E
As a guitarist, I've always had problems with the L chord. Don't tell anyone, but I often use the so-called 'Lazy Man's L.'

I do find L minor to be much easier.
Old 6th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblue1 View Post
As a guitarist, I've always had problems with the L chord. Don't tell anyone, but I often use the so-called 'Lazy Man's L.'

I do find L minor to be much easier.
I never know whether it's M sharp or N flat
Old 7th April 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by clump View Post
I never know whether it's M sharp or N flat
Thank goodness I don't have to worry about that... I don't play jazz.
Old 7th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thank goodness I don't have to worry about that... I don't play jazz.
Yeah I recently read where music theorists determined folk/pop ends at the L chord and jazz begins at M. Fascinating stuff that it breaks down so simply in the end.
Old 7th April 2019
Lives for gear

Chord junkie here. Really like neo soulish chirds and progressions. Minor 9s being my fav. Done little jams that were almost all minor 9s.

Like major minor walkdowns to. In 9s. Yeah love 9 chords to a fault. Minor 11s too. I like a lot of chromatic movement in chords.

Personally not a fan of dominant chords that have the 3rd in them for some reason. Cept altered chords. Like Bb7. Nah. But Bb13 omitting 3rd? Dig it. Probably because i build it as major7 on 7th over 1 and 5 and dig the sound of major 7s.

I will be back with some progressions when im in front of a keyboard. Curious to try some other ones out here. For me the basslines really fall into place following the chords. Cant get it right the other way hehe
Old 7th April 2019
Quote:
Yeah I recently read where music theorists determined folk/pop ends at the L chord and jazz begins at M. Fascinating stuff that it breaks down so simply in the end.
Ah! Finally! This explains why I kept bumping my head on something every time I played an L7!
Old 7th April 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctothej123 View Post
Chord junkie here. Really like neo soulish chirds and progressions. Minor 9s being my fav. Done little jams that were almost all minor 9s.

Like major minor walkdowns to. In 9s. Yeah love 9 chords to a fault. Minor 11s too. I like a lot of chromatic movement in chords.

Personally not a fan of dominant chords that have the 3rd in them for some reason. Cept altered chords. Like Bb7. Nah. But Bb13 omitting 3rd? Dig it. Probably because i build it as major7 on 7th over 1 and 5 and dig the sound of major 7s.

I will be back with some progressions when im in front of a keyboard. Curious to try some other ones out here. For me the basslines really fall into place following the chords. Cant get it right the other way hehe
Ah, geez! Someone who actually engaged seriously with the question!

I'm also a fan of minor 9ths. My old band name was one blue nine. (I promise I'll never do the all-lower case thing again, I swear. It was the 90s.) Unfortunately, while I thought of the band name in that context, one of my coffee house friends pointed out it sounded like a sordid rumor about a baseball groupie.
Old 7th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'm also a fan of minor 9ths. My old band name was one blue nine. (I promise I'll never do the all-lower case thing again, I swear. It was the 90s.)
Hmm. . today that'd be NBLNN.

May have too many vowels for an effective millennial band name
Old 7th April 2019
Lives for gear

Please ignore mutilatedlip, it is his goal, apparently, to derail and disparage anyone who values the study of harmony.
Old 7th April 2019
Quote:
Hmm. . today that'd be NBLNN.

May have too many vowels for an effective millennial band name
As they age, they'll likely have even more vowel problems...

I have to say, vowel-wise, NBLNN looks pretty constipated.
Old 8th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
As they age, they'll likely have even more vowel problems...

I have to say, vowel-wise, NBLNN looks pretty constipated.
These girls are gangster. They went both 90s and millennial with it.

I'm assuming this is the Kpop knockoff of your earlier work, of course.

YouTube
Old 8th April 2019
Quote:
These girls are gangster. They went both 90s and millennial with it.

I'm assuming this is the Kpop knockoff of your earlier work, of course.

YouTube
Ah! There really is a nblnn!

I googled but I guess I didn't look hard enough.

Happily, they don't look constipated.
Old 8th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Happily, they don't look constipated.
Hmmm. . as far as dancing goes, I'm not sure it can get any more constipated

I find your initial interpretation of the name quite fitting.
Old 8th April 2019

Well... I was just working the vowels... er... wait...
Old 8th April 2019
Gear Guru

Hm. Who knows? AbMaj7+11 - B/G - Cm9 - D/F - F7b5- ???

Last edited by henryrobinett; 9th April 2019 at 06:28 AM..
Old 9th April 2019
Some great chords here. But you all must discover the secret swedish chords. Thats what made ABBA so huge. Their songs are full of Ö minor and Ä major. Dont even mention the infamous Å7
Old 9th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattias78 View Post
Some great chords here. But you all must discover the secret swedish chords. Thats what made ABBA so huge. Their songs are full of Ö minor and Ä major. Dont even mention the infamous Å7
They double tracked a lot too, slightly down tuned the bass and guitar for a second take.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search