The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Chords, your favourite?
Old 11th April 2019
Lives for gear

Or. . you know. . you could ignore posts you don't like and post in 100000 other threads here on a topic of interest, or start you own. You initiated this one man.

EDIT - Never mind, re-read the OP and there's insults and an agenda. Not simply an honest question about chords. Carry on.

Last edited by newguy1; 11th April 2019 at 01:12 AM..
Old 11th April 2019
Lives for gear
I like minor chords for the verse, and then major chords for the chorus, makes it lift so good.
Old 11th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy1 View Post
Or. . you know. . you could ignore posts you don't like and post in 100000 other threads here on a topic of interest, or start you own. You initiated this one man.

EDIT - Never mind, re-read the OP and there's insults and an agenda. Not simply an honest question about chords. Carry on.

I’ll ignore you then. Thanks.
Old 11th April 2019
Lives for gear

And just to clear it up. I did not start this one. WozNYC and mutilatedlip verbally raped me in a thread where I dared suggest that people should attempt to improve their musical literacy as a fun learning experience.
Old 11th April 2019
Gear Guru

This is quite stupid and childish. Attacking anyone for improving their musical knowledge and theory is just plain ignorance. If that’s true it’s unfortunate but I see it all of the time. Especially in this current musical culture you can just push buttons that make sounds that are cool. It’s really computer programmers who write the algorithms who are mostly the composers.

Knowledge of music is a real thing. I couldn’t do what I do without it. It’s a part of my language. It doesn’t have to be a part of everybody’s but to attack someone who has it or wants to study only emphasizes insecurity because there's simply no reason to belittle knowledge.

Last edited by henryrobinett; 11th April 2019 at 05:29 PM..
Old 11th April 2019
@ xanderbeanz I think I know the thread you're talking about... it was indeed a bit on the frustrating side. :-)

I compose a lot of instrumental music in the funk/jazz/rock fusion vein and I'm a pretty massive chord and harmony nerd. On my band's last record I got pretty obsessed with parallel minor 11th chords moving in minor thirds. Here's a tune that makes liberal use of that idea.

Many of my heroes are masters of using tricky harmony in remarkably beautiful and organic ways. Two of my favorite examples at the moment are "Dienda" by Kenny Kirkland and "Ana Maria" by Wayne Shorter. I have transcriptions of those tunes if anyone's interested in seeing how they work.

I share the feeling that a deeper understanding of harmony usually leads to more captivating writing, at least in western music! Glad you started a thread about it.
Old 11th April 2019
Lives for gear

Just for complete clarity before I duck out of this thread, the situation as outlined above wasn't exactly true.

Somebody asked for a program that helped generate chords.

Xanderbeanz took extreme offence at this and started telling everyone they were lazy and a disgrace and exerting his extreme opinion over everyone.

A couple of us counteracted with civilised arguments and - as he has done in many threads - started getting abusive and when challenged played the pity card.

There was also a lot of allegations about lack of musicality and interest in chords and technical ability. Please bear in mind this was the ELECTRONIC MUSIC FORUM.

Clearly a genre renowned for musical proficiency.
So please understand there are two sides to each story.

And while I'm here, A to A minor is the most simple and beautiful progression known to man in my opinion.
Old 11th April 2019
Lives for gear

Plus, if you have all the chords laid out as single notes on a keyboard and you feel everything out from there. . . you're still choosing the actual chord progressions. . . from what feels best as you vibe out. . which is the way everyone else does it.

You're just skipping the particular fingerings used to make the chords.

Everything else. . . the choice of the chords themselves, the tempo, the rhythm, the melody, the style of music, the composition, the production, the arrangement, the engineering, every additional note you add to the chords, every performance in the track, the melody, sounds and ambience, etc etc etc. . . all still have to get done.

The ONLY thing skipped is the fingerings of the chords while you come up with a progression that feels good to you. For someone not proficient on an instrument, this makes TOTAL SENSE for the vibe-out initial compositional phase.

I see the whole thing as a mega-overreaction to a straw-man of the purpose chord generators serve. And I'm someone who can play every chord known to man on guitar and piano proficiently.
Old 11th April 2019
Lives for gear

Even E flat?
Old 11th April 2019
Lives for gear

What's the difference between this:

and hitting a note on your keyboard the triggers a preset G major chord voicing?

From a compositional perspective, NOTHING. They're both preset chord voicings you use as a starting point compositionally.

The only difference comes to instrument proficiency. Which is an entirely different skill than composition and production.
Old 11th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
[...] And I'm someone who can play every chord known to man on guitar and piano proficiently.
Google Image Result for https://66.media.tumblr.com/92f0020054e5839aad4396bdf7fea5a8/tumblr_n8e8nzu4lB1tv4k5po1_400.gif
Old 11th April 2019
Lives for gear

Just making clear that I'm not defending chord generators because that's what I use. I didn't write that to try to brag about my chord ability lol.

I just find the arguments against chord generators to sit outside the reality of what they actually are.
Old 11th April 2019
Lives for gear

I use a pair of chord generators.

My ears.
Old 11th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Just making clear that I'm not defending chord generators because that's what I use. I didn't write that to try to brag about my chord ability lol. [...]
Google Image Result for https://i.gifer.com/XRJL.gif
Old 11th April 2019
Lives for gear

Old 12th April 2019
my favourite chord of all time is A5, so that's A, E and A on electric guitar, I used to play advanced jazz but abandoned it when I had my breakdown.
Old 17th April 2019
Gear Guru

I walked away from this thread with my last post. I DO NOT want to resurrect this thread. But I would’ve said something similar chords are easy to understand. Chord generators- I just can’t get my head around allowing some computer programmers to do your creative thinking for you. But it is what it is.
Old 19th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
What's the difference between this:

and hitting a note on your keyboard the triggers a preset G major chord voicing?

From a compositional perspective, NOTHING. They're both preset chord voicings you use as a starting point compositionally.

The only difference comes to instrument proficiency. Which is an entirely different skill than composition and production.

Yep. 100% agree.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search