The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
TOP40 producers workflow
Old 24th March 2019
Gear Head

TOP40 producers workflow

Hey!
Does anybody have insight on the everyday life of top40 producers?

I am having trouble creating pop tracks that are easy to write to but I have no trouble writing good songs or making hiphop/rnb beats. It seems like I cant create the bridge between hiphop and pop which is weird. (Louis Bell, Frank Dukes and Benny Blanco have done this succesfully)
I'm wondering if top pop producers like Ian Kirkpatrik actually wake up and start making pop beats or do they always write the songs first?

Wishing u all the best!
Old 7th April 2019
Lives for gear

You answer is on YouTube somewhere.
Old 4th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tehuku View Post
Hey!
Does anybody have insight on the everyday life of top40 producers?

I am having trouble creating pop tracks that are easy to write to but I have no trouble writing good songs or making hiphop/rnb beats. It seems like I cant create the bridge between hiphop and pop which is weird. (Louis Bell, Frank Dukes and Benny Blanco have done this succesfully)
I'm wondering if top pop producers like Ian Kirkpatrik actually wake up and start making pop beats or do they always write the songs first?

Wishing u all the best!
From what I know most of the top 40 producers keep fairly well focused on bettering their learning, skills, creativity and of course overall production. Max: ps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fc16Y1gKUDc Rick Ruben comes to mind... What you can do is search youtube for top producers then refine your search for a specic producer in interviews/daily life-routines. here is a good top ten - https://www.gearslutz.com/board/newr...ply&p=13884063 pick you producer and research him... on youtube as well as written interviews about particulars. gl
Old 10th May 2019
In the old days many songs would have been written from a great title—people would bring a book full of title and lyric ideas into a commercial co-writing session. This strategy still works of course, but most songs now are written after the beat has been created.

The advantage of working this way round is that the "current and correct" vibe is already baked into the track, whereas if you start with the lyrics or use guide sounds with a view to replacing them later, your choice of melodies and chords will be influenced by those guide sounds. When you then start making the proper beat, the different elements often don't work well together which I think is what you're describing.

Of course, if you're doing piano ballads then it's less important to have the correct piano sound with the right EQ, compression and reverb, but personally I still like to shape the sound somewhat before even starting to write. To me the closer the songwriting session is to the final mix the less likely it is that elements that I add sound jarring and won't gel properly.

Benny Blanco made his name by being a tastemaker rather than a musician so if you're looking to bridge the gap between hip-hop and pop then spending a lot of time listening to new music is mandatory. Always difficult for me because it's much less fun than actually writing songs but it has to be done!
Old 23rd May 2019
Here for the gear
You should check out the book “the song machine: inside the hit factory”- great stuff on the topic

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search