The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Can't finish my lyrics
Old 3 weeks ago
  #31
Lives for gear
 
s wave's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealSPH3 View Post
Can you throw out some suggestions? Always love book recommendations.
'One Hundred Years of Solitude' older / Paul Coelho's 'The Alchemist' / DeWitts 'The Last Samurai' Calvinos 'If on a winters night a traveler' .... Alejandro ZambraI 'Bonsai' loved the alchemist/if on a winters...
Old 3 weeks ago
  #32
If you’re looking for good book recommendations and don’t like fiction, may I suggest checking out Svetlana Alexeivich. Recent Noble Price winner for literature—yet she is not a novelist but a journalist/oral historian.

Her book Chernobyl is riveting and could probably yield enough material for a dozen songs at least. Hmmm, now that I think of it, maybe I should write an album on it myself!

Her books are basically edited interviews of real people telling their stories, but presented in a haunting and compelling way. It reads like the best fiction—except that it’s real.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #33
Gear Nut
 

I love magic realism stuff like One Hundred Years and Borges. Those other three you suggested sound pretty good, going to have to hit up Amazon. Appreciate the recommendations.

Thanks for the suggestion as well Snail, I'll be sure to add Alexeivich to my list. I'm pretty evenly split when it comes to fiction/non-fiction, although lately it has been more of the latter. Been on a bit of a "meritocracy is a fallacy" kick the past few months. I love good writing more than anything, and as an enemy of the American people, as us journalists are so lovingly referred to (always kill the messenger), I really enjoy when people can spin a strong non-fiction narrative that reads more like fiction. Not easy to do well without the seams showing.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #34
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealSPH3 View Post
Been on a bit of a "meritocracy is a fallacy" kick the past few months.
Have you read Paolo Freire’s Pedagogy of the Oppressed? An oldie but a goodie.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #35
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snail View Post
Have you read Paolo Freire’s Pedagogy of the Oppressed? An oldie but a goodie.

I have not, but reading the Wiki blurb it sounds really interesting. Added to the list.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #36
Lives for gear
MMM... writing lyrics when you hate your boss are the best...

The best I ever made...try it...the best...
Old 1 week ago
  #37
Lives for gear
 
s wave's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noisewagon View Post
MMM... writing lyrics when you hate your boss are the best...

The best I ever made...try it...the best...
Oh ho ho love it! 'Richard Cory' has to be one of the best written in that vain.
Simon & Garfunkel https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwqwAy85CgY
Old 1 week ago
  #38
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by s wave View Post
Oh ho ho love it! 'Richard Cory' has to be one of the best written in that vain.
Simon & Garfunkel https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwqwAy85CgY
The lyrics I wrote working in the factory..Carvin, (yes the music factory)...I was in the guy who answered the phone when something broke... the service department.

The company was very religious...



I wrote half the song, and then the band did the rest. Bands are cool.
Old 1 week ago
  #39
Lives for gear
 
s wave's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noisewagon View Post
The lyrics I wrote working in the factory..Carvin, (yes the music factory)...I was in the guy who answered the phone when something broke... the service department.

The company was very religious...



I wrote half the song, and then the band did the rest. Bands are cool.
Bands are cool - synergize quick. Nice song Sounds like the factory machine many humans are fighting everyday... like an audio "Metropolis".
Old 1 day ago
  #40
Gear Guru
 
Brent Hahn's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snail View Post
Two songs I wrote came from conversations that I just wrote down.
I've gotten ideas for several songs by eavesdropping, and some entire chunks of lyrics that I used pretty much verbatim. In general I need to spend less time in bars, but they're very useful for this particular thing.
Old 1 day ago
  #41
Lives for gear
 
s wave's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
I've gotten ideas for several songs by eavesdropping, and some entire chunks of lyrics that I used pretty much verbatim. In general I need to spend less time in bars, but they're very useful for this particular thing.
Eavesdropping is one of the super not so secrets... Love the backstory on MTV:https://songsandcircumstances.blogsp...r-nothing.html
I want my MTV Knopfler/Sting

I have written a few - and it seems you get such a great perspective when doing so because you have a little distance from the lyrics and overall content. I will write a few more. It also takes you out of the political correctness thing, Although I am sure they had to chop I want my MTV a few times...
Old 1 day ago
  #42
Gear Guru
 
Brent Hahn's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by s wave View Post
It also takes you out of the political correctness thing, Although I am sure they had to chop I want my MTV a few times...
What they did chop was the entire third verse. The "little faggot" one.

There's a saying that, if you have to explain a song, it isn't a very good song. But Knopfler's label clearly thought he was going to have to explain this one, and try to make it clear that the "narrator" wasn't him and the language was overheard, but that did nothing to quell the sh1tstorm. So that verse is now basically erased from history.
Old 1 day ago
  #43
Quote:
Originally Posted by s wave View Post
Eavesdropping is one of the super not so secrets... Love the backstory on MTV:https://songsandcircumstances.blogsp...r-nothing.html
I want my MTV Knopfler/Sting

I have written a few - and it seems you get such a great perspective when doing so because you have a little distance from the lyrics and overall content. I will write a few more. It also takes you out of the political correctness thing, Although I am sure they had to chop I want my MTV a few times...
What a great story; thanks for sharing.

I wondered about that amazing guitar sound. It’s one of the best electric guitar sounds ever IMHO,
Old 1 day ago
  #44
Lives for gear
 
s wave's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snail View Post
What a great story; thanks for sharing.

I wondered about that amazing guitar sound. It’s one of the best electric guitar sounds ever IMHO,
When I was living in NYC the story I heard was it was a 'Crazy Eddie' store that crazy bladerunner type store ahead of its time... TV & Appliances were flying out the store... the sold everything on thin margin and the merchandise did not stop flowing out. And its trademark was a big wall of TVs all tuned to MTV. The enrgy was so different and amazing. There was a couple of hicks from backwoods US and it was very verbatim... but that is heresay... but I totally relate to the song... they captured it perfectly. EZ to imagine.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump