The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Good examples of cover versions which do not rival the original
Old 14th March 2019
Good examples of cover versions which do not rival the original

Once in a while, I stumble across cover versions of songs which are so different from the original they are basically their own songs.

Example
Original - Michael Jackson - Beat it
Cover - Raintime - Beat it

Another Example
Original - Bonnie Tyler - Total Eclipse of the Heart
Cover - The Dan Band - Total Eclipse of the Heart (Live)

What I really like about them is that you can listen the cover version and the original straight after each other and you don't feel that you have listened to the same song at all...

Any more good examples around?
Old 14th March 2019
I don't know if this qualifies but I always liked the Eva Cassidy version
Original - Cyndi Lauper - Time After Time
Cover - Eva Cassidy - Time After Time
Old 14th March 2019
Lives for gear

Typical for that would be the Byrds eight miles high
YouTube

and the phantastic cover by Hüsker Dü ...if only they had a drumsound and some guitar tuning back then....
YouTube

and then the way out version by Zos Kia
starting here at ca. 9 minutes in:
YouTube
Old 14th March 2019
Gear Nut

Any of "The Bad Plus" covers are incredible IMNSHO...
Old 14th March 2019
Lives for gear

There's the obvious Joe Cocker/Beatles 'With A Little Help From My Friends'.....and the not so obvious like Evis Costello/Chet Baker 'Almost Blue'

I thought for a long time that 'Almost Blue' was an old country track which had been unearthed and covered by Elvis, but no, Costello wrote it.....Chet Baker apparently contacted Elvis personally to ask if he could record a version.

Both great versions.
Old 14th March 2019
An all-time classic

Original: Depeche Mode - Personal Jesus YouTube
Cover: Johnny Cash - Personal Jesus YouTube
Old 14th March 2019
Gear Head

satisfaction: the rolling stones / cat power
wonderwall: oasis / ryan adams
Old 15th March 2019
Gear Addict

For half a century I have thought any attempt to cover Simon & Garfunkel's The Sounds of Silence would be, well, sacrilegious.

YouTube

I was wrong. I was way wrong.

Disturbed - The Sounds of Silence

YouTube

Their live performance is even more amazing.

YouTube
Old 15th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle View Post
For half a century I have thought any attempt to cover Simon & Garfunkel's The Sounds of Silence would be, well, sacrilegious.
Too bad Disturbed did not cover my favorite S & G song: April Come She Will

I once delivered a package to Mr. Simon at the Brill building and coincidently to his brother's apartment on Central Park West.

No, I did not ask for 'autographs'.

~HW
Old 15th March 2019
Quote:

YouTube

I was wrong. I was way wrong.

Disturbed - The Sounds of Silence

YouTube

Their live performance is even more amazing.

YouTube
One of my young relatives asked me to do an edit on Disturbed's "Sounds of Silence, which she planned to do a dance presentation of in a high school dance class.

We all have different tastes.

I really do not like the Dickies much at all -- mostly because of their stage act and attitude (started out liking their first few singles, saw them twice; started hating them sometime in the middle of the first of those two shows)... but I have to say that their version of "Sounds" works much better for me...

YouTube
Old 15th March 2019
Gear Guru

Jailbreak

YouTube
Old 15th March 2019
I'm a big fan of these two covers...

Old 15th March 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
I'm a big fan of these two covers...
And here I always thought Blue Cheer's version was the original. Nope! Eddie Cochran co-wrote and was first to record it.

YouTube

That second one by the Flying Lizards was interesting. Not my usual cup of tea, but I kind of liked it! It held my interest.

I'm not into heavy metal, but what Disturbed did with Sounds...I thought that was really powerful. The Dickies cover lost me.
Old 15th March 2019
Quote:
And here I always thought Blue Cheer's version was the original. Nope! Eddie Cochran co-wrote and was first to record it.

YouTube

That second one by the Flying Lizards was interesting. Not my usual cup of tea, but I kind of liked it! It held my interest.

I'm not into heavy metal, but what Disturbed did with Sounds...I thought that was really powerful. The Dickies cover lost me.
Yep. Written along with his manager, Jerry Capehart.

I grew up hearing Cochran's version. Then Trini Lopez's. Then Blue Cheer's. Then the Who's. Then Flying Lizards'.... (And, actually, I found a bunch of other covers on YT, including one by Debbie Harry(!))

It's a time-honored youth anthem.

Yeah... we all have different tastes. And, of course, they change over time. When I bonded with the Dickie's version of "Sounds of Silence," it was around '77, early days of the punk/new music scene. I found it amusing and invigorating -- as I did their similarly tweaked "Silent Night." (Yes, the 1818 Christmas carol by Franz Xaver Gruber. That one. ) When I actually saw the Dickies, though, the one-trick pony aspect started showing through -- and the fratboy crowd they drew was way beyond obnoxious. (And I was no stranger to the 'slam pit' as we called it in LA in those days.)
Old 15th March 2019
Gear Addict

Damn. I misread the title of the post. I thought it was covers rivaling the originals. No shortage of covers that don't, at least in my opinion.
Old 16th March 2019
Gear Guru

cover of Eden Ahbez - Nature Boy

cover of Robert Wyatt’s Sea Song
Old 16th March 2019
Hey, thanks a lot - loads of good inputs here.

For me, a good cover version is a valuable piece of art...I really like to here good timeless songs in a different mood or style
Old 27th March 2019
Lives for gear

Old 28th March 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Ross View Post
Frith!

I saw him open for his the French Frith Kaiser Thompson 'supergroup' (a supergroup to at least a few hundred of us, anyhow) at McCabes. He was playing an electrified acoustic into one of his mega-wild compression chains and it was very, very... Frith.
Old 30th March 2019
This is actually a sort of pet subject of mine.

I love it when artists go in a unique and unexpected direction. I think that cover versions are meant to completely and radically reinvent and repurpose a song. I could probably name you at least 30+ tracks off the top of my head that are radically 'their own thing'.

Some personal favourites of mine:

Billy Stewart - Summertime: My all-time favourite version of this Gershwin number
YouTube

Link Wray - It's All Over Now, Baby Blue: Rock n roll intensity applied to a classic Dylan number.
(Reimagined Dylan numbers is a subject worhty of its' own thread)
YouTube

Sun Kil Moon - Trucker's Atlas: I love Modest Mouse, but never got into this song until I heard Mark Kozelek redo it as an acoustic number. He also did a whole bunch of ACDC songs in a similar manner which is quite something.
YouTube

The Melvins - Goin' Blind: The Kiss version was creepy enough, but this one just goes much further.
YouTube

Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - Wanted Man: The original was a handful of verses. Nick Cave stretched it out, wrote about 20 more, took it to it's (il)logical conclusion, made it somehow more epic, and still ended up having to give all of the royalties to Bob Dylan.
YouTube

Tom Waits - Sea of Love: This is just an incredible recording that illustrates the genius of being able to see potential in an otherwise unexceptional tune. (In my opinion)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6MUMPS9GFg

If I may, I would also love to point you in the direction of some covers I recorded myself in a similar spirit to what the OP was referring to. I reimagined a handful of songs I love and am inspired by, and radically altered the style and setting of them. I'd love to know what you think of my recordings.
https://blackhay.bandcamp.com/album/...ng-the-jams-ep

Last edited by Gideon K; 30th March 2019 at 12:33 PM.. Reason: youtube
Old 30th March 2019
Gear Maniac

Los Lobos respect the Beatles very much but their cover of Tomorrow Never Knows is a great one I think

Hoyt Axton wrote the pusher because his friend died but I like Steppen Wolf's version better

YouTube

YouTube

Jett Rebel doing Fleetwood Macs World Turning

YouTube

Jazz cover of Chop Suey (system of a down)

YouTube
Old 22nd April 2019
Lives for gear
IMO the king and queen of covers are James Taylor and Linda Ronstadt (I know...millennials are going "who?").
Old 29th April 2019
"Mad World" is another good one.
Here I actually even prefer the cover version! (Gary Jules, Michael Andrews - this is the ballad version)
Now the original from tears for fears just seems way to fast for me ;-)
Old 29th April 2019
Deleted 5cc4b50
Quote:
Originally Posted by hazmuz View Post
satisfaction: the rolling stones / cat power
wonderwall: oasis / ryan adams

Chan Marshall is a master at transforming covers. From her new record:

Stay - Cat Power

Stay - Rihanna

Her cover of Stuck Inside of Mobile is awesome too, but not as transformative from the original as some of her other stuff.

Stuck Inside of Mobile — Cat Power

Stuck Inside of Mobile —*Dylan

And just because I love this track, What The World Needs Now- Cat Power

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search